John Harbaugh: “25 or 30 guys” with problems like Reed’s

John Harbaugh AP

Ravens safety Ed Reed’s not on the injury report despite his admission he has a shoulder injury, and Ravens coach John Harbaugh said that’s not necessarily unusual.

We have probably 25 or 30 guys that have things like that, things that they can play through that don’t cost them any time, practice-wise or game-wise,” Harbaugh said., via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “I know what the players in this league do physically is something I know I admire and I think everybody should admire.

“It’s a tough game, it’s a physical sport. What he’s talking about are the things that all these guys have. There are always a lot of bumps and bruises, and nicks and tears, if you will, that guys have to deal with.”

The league confirmed to the Sun that they were looking into it, and the Ravens issued a statement which said: “We are aware that they are reviewing practice and game video.”

Reed said he has a slightly torn labrum, but said Thursday it didn’t affect his play.

As for the rest of the Ravens injury report, defensive tackles Haloti Ngata (sprained MCL) and Ma’ake Kemoeatu (sprained knee) are listed as questionable, along with offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie (thigh) and cornerback Jimmy Smith (groin).

Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs isn’t on the report, since he’s not on the active roster yet.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “John Harbaugh: “25 or 30 guys” with problems like Reed’s”
  1. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Oct 19, 2012 2:56 PM

Honestly the number isn’t all that surprising considering how brutal the game really is.

I’d assume that most offensive linemen are probably always dealing with issues since the league doesn’t bother to care about their safety.

The difference in football is that you there is so little longevity in the league that admitting you’re hurt could literally knock you right of the the NFL.

2. takingbacksundays5 says: Oct 19, 2012 3:04 PM

This is much ado about nothing. If Reed practiced through the pain, then there’s nothing to list on the injury report.

Just about every player on the roster is dealing with some ailment. You’re not going to list everyone.

3. footballfan01 says: Oct 19, 2012 3:08 PM

26th in run defense and only getting worse from here.

4. richc111 says: Oct 19, 2012 3:17 PM

I think the league is pretty straight forward with things like this. If they miss practice time then you make the list. If you don’t then you not on the list.

5. knackstermyea says: Oct 19, 2012 3:25 PM

Man these guys are soft nowdays compared to those ol school players like Ronnie Lot, who chopped off a broken diget, at halftime to keep playin. Jack Lambert playin on a fractured leg. even emmit smith played with a dislocated shoulder against the Giants in a playoff game.

6. folkcrusader says: Oct 19, 2012 3:28 PM

Not commenting on Reed’s case specifically but the injury report is a joke and everyone knows it. Some coaches openly flout the rule, others try and skirt around it. So what if it’s a common injury? If others list the same injury regularly then you are skirting the rule.

Personally I think a players medical situation is personal information and should not be public at all. I think injury reports should come from doctors and doctors only and should only list the probability that the player will play based on individual and league wide statistics. Any Dr. found cheating the system gets one warning, if they continue they are out as a team Dr.

Some coaches feel injury information is just too valuable to release, so they will always try and cheat. How can you blame a coach for trying to gain an advantage? That is what they do.

7. ravenscrap says: Oct 19, 2012 4:03 PM

Wow is Ed a diva whiner! My shoulder is hurt – that’s why I’m not performing….. Always something with the whining Ravens

8. rtk23 says: Oct 19, 2012 4:05 PM

A torn shoulder labrum is not that big of a deal. I laughed when Reed said that’s what he had. I’m a mailman and I worked with the same injury for a year while waiting to get approved for surgery. It is painful and annoying, but nothing that you couldn’t play through. And that’s without a cortisone shot. With a shot, I’m sure it would feel totally fine.

9. scotchrocks says: Oct 19, 2012 4:37 PM

rtk23 says:

——————————————-

No disrespect intended, but your job and Reed’s job aren’t the same. It seems foolish to make it seem like Reed should be able to do his job just as easily as you did yours. I know runinng mail day-in and day-out isn’t lightwork, but I don’t see it as being equal to football.