Nate Burleson says he won’t stop after NFL fines him for celebrating

Nate Burleson AP

Lions receiver Nate Burleson was fined $10,000 for his touchdown celebration against the Eagles on Sunday, but he says he plans to keep on celebrating, and he’s already thinking about what he’ll do on Monday night against the Bears.

After Burleson scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter on Sunday, he first started flapping his arms, then made a motion as if he were shooting a rifle, as if to say he was hunting eagles. Burleson said the NFL told him his fine was because the celebration was a “violent action toward another team.” Burleson said he has seen other players mimic shooting guns in celebration, and he doesn’t think his celebration was promoting violence.

“It could have been a Super Soaker,” he said.

Whatever it was, if Burleson won’t stop, apparently losing $10,000 to celebrate a touchdown is worth it to him.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Nate Burleson says he won’t stop after NFL fines him for celebrating”
  1. faulkn22 says: Oct 19, 2012 6:29 AM

NFL is wrong on this one. Seems to be their norm lately.

2. freebird2011 says: Oct 19, 2012 6:41 AM

The Goodell-led NFL takes another step down
    toward alienating fans with ridiculousness:

The “No Fun League.”

I get why you wouldn’t want to have celebrations like those portrayed in the movie BASEketball (as I recall it was Irish line dancing), but still.

Cotton Mather Goodell for Puritan of the Year. Celebrators in the hands of an angry commissioner.

3. James Myers says: Oct 19, 2012 6:43 AM

Stop. From everyone in the D, please stop. Lions are in no position to run their mouths.

When we stop looking like complete frauds, CONSISTENTLY, then maybe it’ll be OK.

Shut it, Nate. You sound ridiculous.

4. jtmartinez34 says: Oct 19, 2012 6:49 AM

Loser. Number 2 or 3 receiver with a big mouth and marginal skills.

5. csilojohnson says: Oct 19, 2012 6:53 AM

What a moron

6. zeeman911 says: Oct 19, 2012 7:23 AM

7. jemeehan318 says: Oct 19, 2012 7:32 AM

“I’ll have something for Chicago,” Burleson told the Detroit Free Press. “I’m not going to stop celebrating.”

I’m thinking Chicago might have a little something for you too, Nate.

8. tv426 says: Oct 19, 2012 7:32 AM

“Look at me!! Look at ME!!!”

The pinnacle of immaturity.

9. tecmobowl34 says: Oct 19, 2012 7:40 AM

I’ve never seen such an average player run his mouth as much as this loser

10. yooperman says: Oct 19, 2012 7:46 AM

This is the first time since 2010 that the Lions beat a team with a winning record. (Eagles were 3-2) Let them celebrate.

11. rockthered1286 says: Oct 19, 2012 7:51 AM

Burleson aside, I think there’s a point to be made here. There is no fun in the NFL anymore. I miss the days of TD celebrations. It was just a little something to make the games that much more entertaining. Say what you want about guys like TO and Ocho, but the two of them made names for themselves outside of the NFL fanbase simply because of their antics after TD’s. I can understand why props (other than the ball) are an issue and take it a step too far, but to simply say “no props, no team members can join you, no violent actions, no excessive actions, nothing towards other players or fans, yada yada yada…” it’s too much. Bring back the bomb. Bring back spinning the ball and huddling around it. Let them do something to get their fans pumped up. How is it hurting anybody?

NBA is fine with it. NHL doesn’t fine players for excessive celebration after a goal. MLB has no qualms. So why is it such an issue in the NFL???

12. brownsfandrinkingmakersmark says: Oct 19, 2012 7:53 AM

I’m sure when he’s completely broke 3 years after he’s done playing, he may regret losing $10k for 5 seconds of stupidity… Then again, it’ll be “someone else’s” fault he lost all his money.

13. cynicalvision says: Oct 19, 2012 7:54 AM

Stop fining players for celebrating.

14. notthathand says: Oct 19, 2012 7:59 AM

I long for the days when Barry Sanders scored and just handed the ball to the ref. It was as though he was saying, “It’s no big deal, playing against you mortals.”

But he wouldn’t think it because he is a CLASS ACT. Study up, Burleson.

15. mrbiz8505 says: Oct 19, 2012 8:02 AM

The Bears D will have plenty for this clown

16. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Oct 19, 2012 8:17 AM

I don’t know, maybe work on getting out of the basement in your division and not on what celebration your going to do on the off chance you score. Not hard to see why the lions can’t get it together.

17. kansacity88 says: Oct 19, 2012 8:34 AM

“I got something for Chicago…”

Yes Nate, and I am pretty sure, after seeing that quote, they’ll have something for you too! Get into the endzone before you predict a TD celebration for a specific team! Not even a Bears fan but I wanna watch this one just for the above story now!!!

18. mancave001 says: Oct 19, 2012 8:44 AM

I’m an Eagles fan, and I think what he did was fine. Promoting violence? Come on. If they’d listen to WIP Sports Radio, they’d have to fine the hosts and several hundred thousand people that listen each morning.

19. jrock3x8 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:05 AM

Hey buddy, Chicago’s got something for you too…

20. conormacleod says: Oct 19, 2012 9:06 AM

The good news is he most likely won’t be seeing the end zone again so he will be able to keep his money.

21. jpack1974 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:08 AM

This dude will not sniff the endzone vs the Bears. For as little as he gets in the endzone, I think he deservse to celebrate. It’s like doing the happy dance if you struck oil.

22. mjkelly77 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:16 AM

Nate is intelligent and well spoken. And the Lions wouldn’t put up with real weapons of any kind, i.e. Aaron Berry. Alsp the eagle is the national symbol of our country. I just believe that Nate didn’t think this one through.

23. doe22us says: Oct 19, 2012 9:42 AM

It was a funny and an interesting celebration I liked it, and if on the note of mimicking guns didn’t the broncos db Carter also do the same thing?

24. marthisdil says: Oct 19, 2012 10:00 AM

jtmartinez34 says: Oct 19, 2012 6:49 AM

Loser. Number 2 or 3 receiver with a big mouth and marginal skills.

========================

Says the guy not in the NFL. I’m sure there are lots of people better at doing whatever you do in life.

25. angrylionsfan says: Oct 19, 2012 10:01 AM

Win some damn games Nate, then you can celebrate all you want. At least it’s evident that Titus Young or Broyles aren’t going to take your job away this year. I suppose that’s cause to celebrate.

26. sprtsfan1 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:04 AM

(Most) Lions fans are hilarious. They honestly believe they have the best team in the NFL with no special teams, an underachieving D-Line, horrendous secondary, and no running game. I say (Most) because I have met some intelligent Lions fans who know what’s what. Good luck on Monday Lions, you will most certainly need it.

27. oneandonlyramsfaninpa says: Oct 19, 2012 10:06 AM

players in the NFL can go their whole career without getting a single touchdown, so when they do get them I don’t see anything wrong with allowing them to celebrate something that doesn’t happen often. it makes it more entertaining for fans too

28. spartan822 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:15 AM

Go for it, Nate.

- a Vikings fan

29. newyorkgiants11 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:17 AM

The only thing the NFL is guilty of is not stopping this “me-first” nonsense from the beginning.

30. FinFan68 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:24 AM

C’mon people. That was not a “celebration” it was a taunt; visual trash talk. It was, like most of these contrived demonstrations are, a “look at me” move. There is nothing celebratory about it. Sometimes they are creative and entertaining but most of the time they are just attention grabbing low-class moves.

31. cmutimmah says: Oct 19, 2012 10:24 AM

Speaking of dilusional… Bears fans… LOL

Your team has overacheived this year the way the Lions did at the beginning of the season last year. It’s a long season, and Green Bay is still going to win the division. Let’s not count any chickens just yet.

32. dabears7190 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:50 AM

TD celebration dances are almost as stupid as 1st down celebrations (Roy Williams played for the Bears and Lions and is a prime example). Where is Roy practicing his first down ritual this year? Oh yeah, his strat-o-lounger.

What’s worse is when you celebrate when the scoreboard is not in your favor.

But if it makes you feel better about yourself to celebrate a touchdown when your team is losing, you just go right ahead and celebrate Mr. Burleson.

And if your celebration dance happens at a time that the Lions are actually winning against the Bears, I hope that celebration inspires the Bears to come back and win the game. Celebrating in a taunting way when there is still time on the clock just makes you look rather childish and selfish if your team ends up losing the game.

Spike the ball and move on. The league really could use more Barry Sanders and Walter Paytons and less Nate Burlesons and Roy Williams.

33. purpleguy says: Oct 19, 2012 10:57 AM

I think I’d pay $10,000 If Nate Burleson would just shut up. Maybe he should watch some old game tape and interviews of the greatest Lion of them all (Sanders) to learn how to act with class during and after a game.

34. dukemarc says: Oct 19, 2012 11:35 AM

Still trying to figure out why this guy runs his mouth so much – if Megatron isn’t on the other side of the field from him, no one would even know his name.

35. juanhughjazz says: Oct 19, 2012 11:36 AM

sprtsfan1 says:
    Oct 19, 2012 10:04 AM

——————————————————————————————————–

are you retarded? I don’t know one Lions fan who believes they are the best team in the NFL.

36. dontslapthebass says: Oct 19, 2012 11:54 AM

This guy will be broke within a week after he’s out of the NFL. When he’s 45 and needs money, he’ll wish he didn’t blow it on mindless endzone celebrations. What a dummy.

37. larryboodry says: Oct 19, 2012 12:46 PM

“I’ll have something for Chicago,” Burleson told the Detroit Free Press.

See, Nate, here’s the thing…To celebrate in the end zone, you gotta score first.

38. skolvikes says: Oct 19, 2012 1:17 PM

dontslapthebass says: Oct 19, 2012 11:54 AM

————————————————————

Lol. By 2015 Nate Burleson will have made over $80 million during his NFL career. He’s an intelligent man (perhaps not so much in these comments). I really don’t think this $10k is going to hurt him as much as you’d like it to.

39. larryboodry says: Oct 19, 2012 1:36 PM

zeeman911 says: Oct 19, 2012 7:23 AM

“We are frauds???? If we could actually put 4 quarters together we would be the best team in the NFL. Despite what everyone is saying, 4 special teams plays cost us 2 games, should be sitting at 4-1 right now….”

If you could put four quarters together, you’d have a dollar…You still wouldn’t be the best team in the NFL.

40. pilot2011 says: Oct 19, 2012 2:23 PM

I believe that was a shotgun he was fake shooting, not a rifle.

But maybe he should be fined again because it is illegal to shoot Eagles… Falcons, Cardinals, Ravens, and maybe Seahawks you can shoot all day.

41. smstonerock says: Oct 19, 2012 8:55 PM

jtmartinez34 says:

“Loser. Number 2 or 3 receiver”.

I don’t see how that’s really a criticism when their number 1 receiver is CALVIN FREAKING JOHNSON.