Ndamukong Suh called 911 immediately after accident

Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh did not try to get away after he was in an accident last week, and actually called 911 before the other driver, who accused Suh of leaving the scene.

That’s the word from the police in Dearborn, Michigan, who released the 911 calls to Fox 2 in Detroit. Suh’s call came in one minute before the other driver’s, and Suh told the 911 dispatcher who he was and asked the police to meet him at the entrance to the Lions’ facility.

“I have a guy that just cut me off and I tried to go around him, and now he tried to hit me when I went around him after he cut me off,” Suh told 911. “I don’t trust this person. I just took his license plate. I’m a Detroit Lion and I’m going to take myself to work, which is right here, and can the police meet me there, please?”

The other driver may have thought Suh was trying to flee by driving off to the Lions’ private parking area, but the 911 call makes clear that Suh wanted to give the police his side of the story. The other driver called 911 one minute after Suh and told the operator, “I just got sideswiped by a guy really bad, and he’s trying to take off. . . He just left the scene and took off through the light and pulled in the training facility.”

The police say they couldn’t determine which driver was at fault in the accident and therefore won’t ticket either driver.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh called 911 immediately after accident”
  1. marima07 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:16 AM

How convenient.

2. veerapan88 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:20 AM

“. . . He just left the scene and took off through the light and pulled in the training facility.”

Yes, escape artists try to leave the scene by pulling into a training facility parking lot.

3. armoderate says: Oct 19, 2012 11:26 AM

Why am I expecting another incident in the future? Trouble just seems to follow some guys like Suh and Marshall. Bad luck I guess.

4. polegojim says: Oct 19, 2012 11:29 AM

No MARAMA07… not convenient… it’s what we like to call ‘a fact’.

As a Lions fan… I want this guys name out of the headlines for everything but Sacks too… but this one doesn’t seem to be ‘on him’.

Go LIONS

5. scoops1 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:32 AM

He really calld 411 first to get the number for 911

6. thekiller678 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:34 AM

lol all the morons on here were killing suh. I have no opinion about the guy at all but once a person does one bad thing everyone just looks to crap all over that person. Not sure why. Some think it’s funny, some have nothing better to do then act tough on the internet and put other people down.

Also LOL at the “Convenient” comment. Yeah dude the police are lying for suh. Idiot.

7. fullbagg says: Oct 19, 2012 11:36 AM

It’s Detroit people.

Normal people pull into parking lots after accidents.

Idiots stay on the freeway standing beside and in front of their vehicles..

Watching City police drive by without assistance.

8. ttommytom says: Oct 19, 2012 11:37 AM

Suh did what I tell my kids and others to do in similar situations. You can never trust or be safe enough.

Doing a PAR (police accident report) is easier than cleaning up a body because of road rage or whatever…

9. amckenna310 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:40 AM

Glad to hear the guy handle the situation properly. With his past incidents it’s easy to assume he messed up. Good job Suh

10. granadafan says: Oct 19, 2012 11:40 AM

He tried to do the right thing be getting the police involved right away for an independent party. However, Suh shouldn’t have even left the scene even if the facility was nearby. That just makes it look bad.

11. notthathand says: Oct 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Obviously, Suh shouldn’t be allowed to feel threatened by what he perceived to be a dangerous driver. He should have immediately stopped his vehicle, wrote out a check for 3x damages, signed autographs, and posed for pictures. Even then, there would be complaints that he signed his named too roughly, and that his gestures were somehow ‘dirty.’ For which he should have driven directly to the Detroit News and offered a full page written apology. Which, of course, would be insincere.

12. antalicus says: Oct 19, 2012 11:42 AM

Suh gets in so much vehicle trouble that this guy probably saw him and thought he could make money off of running into him and suing him. The guy tried to cut him off and probably hit the breaks in front of Suh and then when he went around the guy he slammed into him as a last resort.

Im not a Lion’s fan by any means but that’s just what it sounds like and the fact that he got a call in to 911 before the other guy makes it seem possible.

13. samiratou says: Oct 19, 2012 11:44 AM

If Suh’s account of the incident was correct, it sounds like someone might have been trying to cash in.

Step 1: Park outside NFL training facility and wait for a fancy car to approach

Step 2: Pull out in front of fancy car, inducing an accident and he-said/he-said plausible deniability on fault.

Step 3: Profit.

If Suh’s account is correct, of course–no opinion on that, really.

14. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 19, 2012 11:50 AM

The dispatcher apologised for taking so long to answer the other driver’s call. “You can’t believe who I was just talking to on the other line……..”.

15. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 19, 2012 11:57 AM

Leaving the scene if an accident is a crime. He should be given a ticket for that, no?

And you’re Ndamukong Suh, and you’re scared if some other guy?

Perhaps this is why his production has slowed.

16. szwhtsup123 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:59 AM

Oh man I hope he didn’t wreck another ’70 Chevelle

17. izlez says: Oct 19, 2012 12:04 PM

“A total piece of garbage on and off the field” – coseybedaman
    “Dirty player, even dirtier person” – acerockefellar
    “This kid is as dumb as they come” – adeedothatswho
    “totally worthless as a human being” – larryboodry
    All of these comments were given at least 90% thumbs up…all directed towards a guy who got into a minor traffic accident and did everything he was supposed to do to report it to the proper authorities

18. dobbybobby says: Oct 19, 2012 12:12 PM

izlez says:
    Oct 19, 2012 12:04 PM
    “A total piece of garbage on and off the field” – coseybedaman
    “Dirty player, even dirtier person” – acerockefellar
    “This kid is as dumb as they come” – adeedothatswho
    “totally worthless as a human being” – larryboodry
    ——————————–

Obviously these people think he lied. You’re just concluding that Suh is innocent because he called 911. That doesn’t mean he was doing the right thing. He could have just been trying to cover his butt. Since he has experience in wrecking cars, he could have figured out a way to avoid liability – by calling 911 immediately and implicating the other driver.

I don’t know what to believe, but I just think people need to be skeptical of what really happened. One of them lied, we just don’t know who.

19. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Oct 19, 2012 12:13 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Oct 19, 2012 11:50 AM

——————————————

You do realize they have more than one 911 dispatcher, right?

20. izlez says: Oct 19, 2012 12:17 PM

dobbybobby says:
    Oct 19, 2012 12:12 PM

————–

There’s a difference between being skeptical and calling someone totally worthless as a human being (again, because he possibly caused a traffic accident)

21. coltzfan166 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:26 PM

I’ve never been to Detroit and I’m honestly ok with that.

22. wikipediasaidso says: Oct 19, 2012 12:35 PM

If I had to guess, both guys probably succumbed to a little bit of road rage/over-aggressive driving and share the blame for the fender bender. It happens. But I think the way Suh handled it afterwards was completely reasonable under the circumstances. Sometimes a little paranoia is prudent when you’re a celebrity.

23. ripster65 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:44 PM

that’s ok, lil buddy. I’m not the only one who noticed.

24. freebird2011 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:45 PM

As an insurance defense attorney, one does a certain amount of accident reconstruction. The only reported damage to Suh’s vehicle was a broken rear tail light. That’s physical evidence of Suh’s vehicle being hit, rather than hitting the other guy.

Had Suh “sideswiped” the white 1999 Ford Escort, there would have been more physical evidence in the form of paint scrapes, particularly given the amount of damage the Escort driver was claiming. That is, of course, unless the damage to the 13 year old car was pre-existing.

25. dobbybobby says: Oct 19, 2012 1:09 PM

dobbybobby says:
    Oct 19, 2012 12:12 PM

————–
    izlez says:
    Oct 19, 2012 12:17 PM

———-

I agree with you. My point, poorly explained, was that you shouldn’t conclude Suh was doing the right thing, because we don’t know whether he was truthful or working the system to clear him from liability. I don’t think people should go as far as calling him names, but I think people should be skeptical in whether Suh was being truthful.

There’s a pattern of either people falsely accusing Suh of being dishonest or there is a pattern of Suh being unfairly taken advantage of by others (his December car wreck incident in which he was accused of lying to police about the nature of the wreck).

Again, I don’t agree with people speaking ill of him.

26. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 19, 2012 1:09 PM

Suh keeps getting by with driving incidents. Currupt police allow NFL players different rules than common citizen. It’s just a fact.

27. dobbybobby says: Oct 19, 2012 1:11 PM

I meant to say

There’s a pattern of either people falsely accusing Suh of being dishonest or there is a pattern of Suh unfairly taking advantage of others (his December car wreck incident in which he was accused of lying to police about the nature of the wreck).

28. JaminJake says: Oct 19, 2012 1:23 PM

He called 911. I’ve been in many close calls where we were waiting for the other person to make a move.

I would have done the EXACT same thing and have on occasions where I wasn’t sure about the driver. Would any of you arm chair QBs get out of your car if you felt something was fishy? Is this how you “man up?” I would do this even if a cop was behind me and I didn’t feel comfortable or believe they were an actual cop.

29. sactogary says: Oct 19, 2012 1:25 PM

myopinionisrighterthanyours says:Oct 19, 2012 12:13 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Oct 19, 2012 11:50 AM

——————————————

You do realize they have more than one 911 dispatcher, right?
    ——————————————————
    You do realize this was a joke, right?

30. bengalsstillsuck says: Oct 19, 2012 1:46 PM

This dude cannot drive take his Ls away for good.

31. explosionsauce says: Oct 19, 2012 2:24 PM

Yeah because I call 911 every time I get cut off. Sounds like Suh knew he should give his “account” before the other driver did. Who calls 911 after being cut off? Sorry, Suh is intelligent but not trustworthy in my opinion. I mean the guy lied about stomping another guy when it was filmed. A pathological liar and highly intelligent person could think to give a report before the other guy to bolster his story. Just a thought, could be wrong.

32. formyministy says: Oct 19, 2012 3:20 PM

explosionsauce says:
    Oct 19, 2012 2:24 PM
    ————-
    you had a thought somewhere in there? i wasn’t able to find it.

the guy cut suh off, and then (according to suh) TRIED TO HIT HIM as he went around the guy. i would call 911 if someone tried to hit my car and then started following me. early in the morning in detroit, no less.

33. spkmania says: Oct 19, 2012 4:04 PM

coltzfan166 says:
    Oct 19, 2012 12:26 PM
    I’ve never been to Detroit and I’m honestly ok with that.

_____________________________________

I’ve been to Indianapolis, and I don’t ever want to go back.

34. Deb says: Oct 19, 2012 4:37 PM

Shame to come to a Web site that solicits visitor opinions but not be allowed to say that people always rush to negative judgment where NFL players are concerned. Suh called 911 and did what he was supposed to do, and I’m glad. But they’re throwing out the pro-Suh vote. Gee, sure hope that kind of monkeying with the ballots doesn’t occur in the upcoming election.