Plaxico says he still can play, defends driving his Ferrari 100 mph

New York Jets v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

Plaxico Burress remains unemployed seven weeks into the NFL season, but he says he still holds out hope that he’ll play this year.

Appearing on NFL AM, Burress said that he is staying in shape and just waiting for some team that needs a wide receiver to pick up the phone.

“I just remain optimistic,” Burress said. “I’m still training very hard three or four days a week and looking to get into the right situation, and just waiting for the opportunity to be able to go out and do what I love to do, and that’s play football.”

Burress said he spends every Sunday watching football and will play for any team that will give him a chance.

“I just want to go back to playing football,” Burress said. “It’s not about picking and choosing, or any of those situations, it’s about me just being able to go and do what I love to do, and that’s play football. It doesn’t have to be anyone in particular.”

Burress also said a recent report that he was ticketed for going 100 mph on a motorcycle was incorrect: He was ticketed, but he was driving a car, not a motorcycle.

“First of all, I wasn’t riding a motorcycle,” Burress said. “The report is wrong. I was driving a car, driving a Ferrari, got pulled over, got a speeding ticket.”

Asked if he was driving the Ferrari 50 mph over the speed limit, Burress said, “It was close to that, but going fast in a Ferrari, doing 100 in a Ferrari, feels like 45.”

Burress would be wise to slow down, but his problem with getting a job in the NFL isn’t how fast he drives, it’s how fast he runs. As Burress’s coach last year has made clear, NFL teams are looking for young guys with speed. And Burress isn’t that.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Plaxico says he still can play, defends driving his Ferrari 100 mph”
  1. zerole00 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:39 AM

“Sorry bro I thought I was doing 45.”

…What?

2. enzo1030 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:43 AM

Maybe if he could get open somewhere on the field he’d still have a job.

3. niubears says: Oct 19, 2012 9:44 AM

If I had a Ferrari, I’d drive it over 100 too.

4. champ1118 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:44 AM

That, my man, is the reason why no one will give you a chance. You don’t get it!! You showed poor judgement taking a loaded hand gun into a night club and went to jail. You have not learned because you’re still showing poor judgement by driving 50 mph over the speed limit. I don’t care if it did “feel” like 45. When you lose control of that vehicle and strike a family of 5 on their way home, trust me, it will feel every bit of 100 mph. Grow up Plaxico!! Grow up!!

5. igotacousinweusetocallporky says: Oct 19, 2012 9:46 AM

After reading this you have to wonder why he still doesn’t understand why he is unemployable. Not just the NFL but any legitimate business. Hope he likes watching the games on Sunday as much as i due because we both have an equal chance of playing in the NFL.

6. andymannfl says: Oct 19, 2012 9:54 AM

“I’m still training very hard three or four days a week”

You might have wanted to go with the more standard cliché of “every day” Plax. Three or four days means you’re not training half the time. Very impressive.

7. gochargersgo says: Oct 19, 2012 9:57 AM

8. 6thsense79 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:05 AM

Calm down Champ.

9. anthonyverna says: Oct 19, 2012 10:09 AM

Those who don’t get it don’t get that they don’t get it.

10. saberstud75 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:11 AM

Plax,

When Rex Ryan doesn’t think you can contribute to that group of nobody WRs it tells the NFL that “You are DUN SUN!” But feel free to keep making stupid choices while unemployed to hurt your chances.

11. silverhornet says: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 AM

“Wasnt this guy bankrupt after prison? And is currently unemployed? What are you doing driving a Ferrari?”

He heard they got great fuel mileage. Better than motorcycles.

12. patswhatsup says: Oct 19, 2012 10:28 AM

Maybe I’m crazy, but didn’t he catch 8 or 10 touchdowns last year? That’s gotta be good for veteran minimum…. Jaguars? Need some touchdowns??

13. jagsfan1 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:34 AM

Plax is driving that Ferrari 100mph on his way to BANKRUPTCY LANE

14. raymondtx says: Oct 19, 2012 10:34 AM

He can afford a Ferrari?

15. nyyjetsknicks says: Oct 19, 2012 10:35 AM

You have little to no chance in playing in the nfl again. The reasons for this are: you were fined many times by the giants for breaking rules, you make bad decision (gun in club) and now you do this. I hope you saved your money, there won’t be any more big checks coming your way.

16. 6thsense79 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:38 AM

Who’s to say the Ferrari is his. It could have been a friends or he could have been test driving one.

17. skinsfanwill says: Oct 19, 2012 10:45 AM

Wow, Everyone is acting as if they NEVER got a speeding ticket before. I got caught speeding at 92 in a Toyota Corrolla. It felt like 110 though. It’s the highway. Who cares. As long as he wasn’t DRUNK!!!! Get off the man’s jock about a speeding ticket. The whole purpose of buying a Ferrari is to speed.

18. newyorkgiants11 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:52 AM

“First of all, it wasn’t a Beretta it was a Glock. Second of all, it wasn’t my left thigh it was my right, ok?”

19. thetooloftools says: Oct 19, 2012 10:54 AM

getting busted going 100 in a 45 zone is the same reason he’s not playing football.
    HE BE STUPID !

20. SparkyGump says: Oct 19, 2012 10:54 AM

It’s all about judgement, Plaxico. Carrying a gun into a nightclub and driving a car FIFTY miles over the speed limit are BOTH cases of bad judgement that could not only harm you but could harm innocent people. There are very few employers out there who would invest in someone who continues to make very bad decisions. Use your head, Plaxico.

21. randyschwimmer7 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:58 AM

champ1118 says:
    Oct 19, 2012 9:44 AM

_______________________________

While I totally agree with the handgun thing, I am 32 years old, and if I had a Ferrari, there is no chance in hell that thing would ever be under 100mph. If you have a Ferrari, you have the money to pay for that ticket. What he does in a car is not going to stop a team from signing him. If his wheels on his body are slow, that would be the reason a team doesn’t sign him.

22. mvp43 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:00 AM

He just shot himself in the leg with that Ferrari comment….

23. bluebagz says: Oct 19, 2012 11:14 AM

I love how all of you so called saints are quick throw jabs at a guy that has paid his debt and continues to be depicted as some trouble maker.Yes he had some issues with the Giants as far as missing practices and being late,but find 1 teammate of his that has ever had a problem with him.In fact he is known as a great teammate and great lockeroom guy.Rex Ryan is an idiot, so for Rex to want to go with less talented WR’s says more about Rex than Plax.Furthermore I drive an Infiniti and I find myself at times going pretty fast without realizing as well as everyone on this blog so Stop It(in my Mike Ditka voice)!

24. bartman1156 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:20 AM

Smarter than a speeding bullet!

25. nyjets1017 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:24 AM

I wanna be “broke” like these guys.

26. foooolerm says: Oct 19, 2012 11:29 AM

If he’s the moron in a Ferrari who cut up four drivers and me on I-95 in rush hour traffic this week doing ‘feels like 45′ he needs the $1000 fine. Maybe castration would help too.

27. mybrunoblog says: Oct 19, 2012 11:31 AM

How does anyone defend this man for driving a car 100 mph? Yeah we’ve all gotten speeding tickets for maybe going 15 mph over the limit but 50 mph over the limit? Lucky he didn’t kill some innocent driver.

28. flowadelph says: Oct 19, 2012 11:32 AM

Palx, you should be in Philly helping us score TD’s instead of field goals. I guess Andy likes his kicker alot. Doesn’t know who to fire or hire, SMDH.

29. swingondeesenuts says: Oct 19, 2012 11:38 AM

This guy will be broke in three years…maybe sooner.

30. kabasaman says: Oct 19, 2012 11:57 AM

Who cares what a washed up dude does? He’ll be selling that Ferrari soon I’m sure…

31. denverscott says: Oct 19, 2012 12:05 PM

_______________________________

—————————————————
    T a certain point the option of “paying the ticket” is removed from the table. There are numerous ways to let them pull out the felony card, you don’t even have to hurt or kill someone. With a previous conviction it would be worse. Glad you’ll never afford one. Somebody that stupid would wreck a fine machine trying to get to 100 in his garage.

32. contract says: Oct 19, 2012 12:14 PM

Speed is seriously overrated. Burress can create separation and catch the ball. He’s particularly effective around the goalline where he can out muscle CBs for position.

If Burress can’t find a job, there’s likely a reason other than his speed.

33. miztake82 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:28 PM

Would everyone please just settle down about his irresponsibility for going 100mph. There is 0 reason to own a Ferrari if your not going to take it to those speeds every once in a while. They sell Ferraris they go fast, people drive them fast. That what they are for. Don’t tell me every Ferrari owner goes to the race track when they want to exceed the speed limit.

34. dkuether017 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:44 PM

Sounds like he should go talk to Detroit.

35. starfan79 says: Oct 19, 2012 1:08 PM

100 is nothing.. I accidentally do that on my bike all the time.

36. zerole00 says: Oct 19, 2012 1:21 PM

I also concur that driving a powerful vehicle like a Ferrari maked it hard to gauge MPH. I test drove one of the newer Acura a few months ago and was shocked when the sales man told me to slow down cause I was doing 90 MPH in a 65. I didn’t even feel it. I can’t imagine how a Ferrari feels. In fact everyone should have to go through specialized testing before they get licensed to drive a Supped up car like that.”

Do Feraris not have a speedometer or do people’s IQ just drop when they sit in one?

37. gettinsum says: Oct 19, 2012 1:39 PM

As a Ferrari owner, I can say that this is common practice for a number of reasons and not nearly as irresponsible as this sensational headline would have you believe. Ferraris are high revving cars with a redline at about 8500 RPM. In first gear, the car is going between 50-60 miles an hour at redline. However, it’s not comfortable to drive at or near redline, so most drivers shift to second gear a get to a “comfortable” RPM of about 7000 you’re going nearly 100 without even realizing it. The car is just not made to go 50 mph. Plus the visibility, brakes and steering on these cars is way better than your average sedan. It’s not unsafe to drive at those speeds.

I bet Plax just got off the NJ Turnpike where he was probably going 140 mph. I do that stuff all the time and when I get off the highway, shift into second, I realize I’m doin 100 in 45!!

You should be much more afraid of an old lady driving a Nissan Sentra at 40 mph who can’t see and can nearly get there head above the steering wheel…

38. jetfanfolife says: Oct 19, 2012 2:16 PM

Who here has not taken their car (no matter what make/model) to 100 mph?

Yes thumbs up
    No thumbs down

39. fdugrad says: Oct 19, 2012 3:31 PM

Safety rules for the road? I don’t need no stinkin safety rules! He is so used to a life of entitlement and self-centered outlooks and behaviors, that he can’t put these traits together and figure out why NO team calls him. This after he serves time for packing heat that goes off in a public place. How can ANYONE be this oblivious? Who would want somebody like this?! It ain’t all about you Plax!!

40. bigharold says: Oct 19, 2012 4:50 PM

Walter Payton, .. a guy with an impeccable reputation , .. once got caught going about 100 MPH in a school zone. I ride a touring bike and I’m not so 20 something year old clown doing wheelies on a sport bike going down the express way but every now and then I look down and ‘m doing 90ish. The point is whether it was a Ferrari or a motorcycle everybody speeds to one degree or another and most of guys have done the Ton, .. 100 MPH, .. so this isn’t a big deal. Where he looses me is when he says at 100 it feels like 45. So what? And for those that think it’s OK because he’s driving a sports car that handles better or has better breaks, .. again so what? When he goes past somebody 50 MPH faster than they are going a startles them causing an accident, .. or if they see him closing from behind at that rate a it scares them into doing something foolish, .. then what will he say? It wasn’t my fault?

He should have take a lesson from Walter Payton, .. he apologize sincerely and promised the judge it’d never happen again. It would also help if he actually meant it.

41. badintent says: Oct 19, 2012 5:09 PM

He caught 8 TDs. for a lousy QB last year. He didn’t lose 2000 RPM in the summer. His locker room poison cloud just expanded into the rest of the NFL. NFL networks helped do that. That is why he is not playing, just like T.O. CFL , Plax , get your touce and get up here for some coldass weather.Play FOR $50k. And have another Beavertail.mummmmmmmmmm !

42. p01ntman says: Oct 20, 2012 11:20 AM

Skins need to cal him and try him out.

43. pisano says: Oct 20, 2012 12:47 PM

Putting that guy in a Ferrari is like putting a silk hat on a pig.

44. houstonoilers says: Oct 20, 2012 2:51 PM

Do you think he will be able to tell the difference between 100 & 45 mph if there is an accident?