Seattle slide consistent with Thursday road woes

Seattle Seahawks v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

As the NFL’s Thursday night schedule continues to grow in popularity and scope, so does the edge for the home teams in those games.

That’s why Seattle’s late fade last night shouldn’t necessarily be a surprise, as road teams are at a decided disadvantage in midweek.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, road teams are winning just 36.4 percent of the time on Thursday Night Football.

The Giants’ Week Three victory at Carolina is the only Thursday road win this year, and road teams are 20-35 since the league began Thursday broadcasts in 2006. That includes Thanksgiving games, but doesn’t count season openers so as to keep the  short-week numbers consistent.

Overall, road teams win at a 43.2 percent clip over the past six seasons.

The biggest concern is for players coming off injuries. Giants wideout Hakeem Nicks said he’d have likely played against his hometown team if the game had been on Sunday, but he didn’t make the trip. Similarly, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley didn’t play last Thursday with what was believed to be a minor hamstring strain.

Is it a hassle? Yes. But until the league expands the year to include extra bye weeks, or expands rosters it’s a problem teams are going to have to learn to live with.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
14 Responses to “Seattle slide consistent with Thursday road woes”
  1. daysend564 says: Oct 19, 2012 1:50 PM

But EVERYBODY wants to play on Thanksgiving. Why is that Thursday game any different than the rest of the year?

2. hunst009 says: Oct 19, 2012 1:50 PM

Ha and they talk about player safety?? Just like they use to say that pay for play schemes were ok with Reggie White. What a joke sometimes.

3. Stiller43 says: Oct 19, 2012 2:20 PM

Since there is such a discrepancy between thursday night road win %, and regular rest road win %, i wonder if they would consider reducing or eliminating TNF.

…nahh, too much money, who cares what it does to the teams.

4. jonsilver1947 says: Oct 19, 2012 2:27 PM

Use the bye week more intelligently, and you wouldn’t have this problem: the bye week should only be for the teams playing the following Thursday…and each team should only play on Thursday once a season…16 Thursday games (3 on Thanksgiving, 13 on other Thursdays)…17 weeks, no Thursday games weeks 2-4 and 17…the week one Thursday teams would get their bye week in mid-season…

5. jonsilver1947 says: Oct 19, 2012 2:29 PM

Correction: no Thursday games weeks 2-3 (not 2-4) and 17

6. docsweeney says: Oct 19, 2012 2:30 PM

I’m not a big fan of Thursday games or rather the format. Having to play Sunday and likely travel on Wednesday leaves only two days. It’s likely why a lot of these games look rather sloppy. I’m not sure what could actually be done but maybe it could be something like teams coming off a bye play on Thursday. IDK, maybe play Sunday 10/21, then have bye and play next game Thursday Nov. 1st. I realize it limits # of teams and poises many scheduling problems but it’s a thought.

7. titansbro says: Oct 19, 2012 2:40 PM

Put the Thurs game in London. No home teams & both teams have travel disadvantage. Problem solved. NFL should hire me.

8. daysend564 says: Oct 19, 2012 2:56 PM

I don’t want 1 game in London a year. I surely don’t want 16 of them!!!

9. folkcrusader says: Oct 19, 2012 3:07 PM

I’m a Seattle fan so I probably don’t see it objectively. I thought Seattle played fine in the first half, missed some opportunities due to dropped balls. The second half SF just played better in all three phases. They only scored the one TD but that was what was needed. Their pass rush was very good late in the game. I think my team was prepared, they just got outplayed by a team that was better that day. Do I personally like Thursday games? No I really don’t (except for Thanksgiving games). I think the games are poorly produced from a TV perspective and I think Sunday, Sunday night, and Monday night are plenty of football.

10. tcostant says: Oct 19, 2012 3:15 PM

What a bad example with Nicks. While he did say that, and missed the Thursday game, he also miss the following Sunday (10 days later). I’m pretty sure if he didn’t play 10 days later, he wouldn’t have played 3 days later on Sunday if the game wasn’t on Thursday. Common sense.

11. raideralex99 says: Oct 19, 2012 3:31 PM

How about fixing the west coast teams playing the early game on the east coast … what’s the % of losses 80%.
    I guess as soon as Vegas starts losing money they will change it.

12. realfann says: Oct 19, 2012 3:45 PM

Thursday night football is dangerous for the players and features substandard football because of the lack of time to physically recover from the previous game and the lack of time to properly prepare.

In last years Ravens-49ers match-up, due to travel time returning from their last game and traveling to Baltimore, The Niners had 1 day of prep and practice and predictably played their worst game of the year.

I hate Thursday night games. They should be cancelled.

Bad for player safety, bad for football.

Why not Saturday night instead?

13. docsweeney says: Oct 19, 2012 3:54 PM

Realfan is onto something – Saturday night or even Friday night would be better. The extra day or two would be beneficial and more people would watch and not have to get up for work. Could make it real primetime viewing.

14. joetoronto says: Oct 20, 2012 5:53 AM

Seattle to San Fran isn’t much of a flight but sometimes teams really have a long way to go.