What about Bob? Osi now says RG3 is “Sir Robert”

New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Osi Umenyiora has been convinced.

In July, he said he’d only refer to Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III as “Bob” until he proved himself in the league.

Now, he’s calling him “Sir.”

His name is Sir Robert Griffin,” the Giants defensive end said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “That is what I refer to him now. I mean, look at what he’s done. Look at the way he’s performed as a rookie. You don’t see players come into the league and perform like that at that stage in their career, so all the respect in the world goes to him, and he is a phenomenal football player.

When asked why he doesn’t refer to Tom Brady by the same honorifc, Umenyiora said he was merely righting a wrong.

“That’s different,” Umenyiora said. “I opened my mouth and said when he does anything in the league, we will call him his name. And he has definitely earned it, whatever he wants to be called, for sure.”

Umenyiora has been impressed by many things, but called RG3’s 76-yard touchdown run last week “ridiculous.”

Earlier this week, Giants teammate Jason Pierre-Paul urged Griffin “Don’t bring it to my side.”

Umenyiora has a similar wish, for different reasons.

“I hope he doesn’t come to my side,” Umenyiora said, laughing. “Hopefully, they will be able to go somewhere else. I don’t want no parts of that. He is just a phenomenal football player, and they are a good team, and we’ve got our work cut out for us.”

While the respect is real, and earned, the Giants have proven that among the things they’re best at is the royal snow job, and you get the sense Umenyiora wants to make sure he does his part to keep RG3 from earning any more titles.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
31 Responses to “What about Bob? Osi now says RG3 is “Sir Robert””
  1. n0hopeleft says: Oct 19, 2012 9:50 AM

I can’t wait for this game.

If anyone thinks Perry Fewell is going to let Griffin to the outside, you are absolutely on drugs.

I can promise you they’ll make the Skins beat the Giants D on the inside, before they allow him to get around outside contain.

2. mike bonserio says: Oct 19, 2012 9:55 AM

Osi, you’re kidding me right… Im a huge giant fan and hearing that makes me sick. Its one thing to have respect for a good player which RGIII is but to say i hope he doesnt come to my side cuz hes too good… Man up and accept the challange like a 2 time champ would… JPP has the right mindset at least…

3. shlomotruehovic says: Oct 19, 2012 10:05 AM

Can’t waiting. This is going to be a good game. Wow it’s been a long time since the Skins were in a meaningful game.

4. bucrightoff says: Oct 19, 2012 10:05 AM

They’re both Subway guys now, of course they get along. Money always brings people together

5. tdubdizzle says: Oct 19, 2012 10:09 AM

The Giants are about to tear RG3 up, did anyone see the ends close on Alex Smith? WOW, he didn’t stand a chance. I know RG3 is a lot better runner than Smith but i don’t know how hes going to get away from those guys.

6. 11inthebox says: Oct 19, 2012 10:18 AM

@ mike bonserio who says:

—————-
    Lighten up, Francis.

7. baloneyjohn says: Oct 19, 2012 10:19 AM

Hopefully, the game plays up to the hype.

8. thehouseofho says: Oct 19, 2012 10:20 AM

mike bonserio says:
    Oct 19, 2012 9:55 AM
    =====
    My guess: sarcasm on Osi’s part.

9. fafaflunky says: Oct 19, 2012 10:21 AM

i live in ny, and went to the skins game last week..and all i got to say is rgIII is insanely fast..totally impressed

10. sdelmonte says: Oct 19, 2012 10:29 AM

This is the best trash talk. So much better than just name calling.

Of course, Osi and JPP have to bring it on the field. But I think they are ready.

11. wallacejay says: Oct 19, 2012 10:34 AM

I guess Tuck will be putting in his two cents in about 3…2…1…

12. macwomack says: Oct 19, 2012 10:37 AM

———–
    ok – there is also another (lesser known) rookie on that offense – who coincedentally has been tearing it up by going up the middle. I hope you enjoy your education on the goodness that is Morris #46.

13. toonloonboon says: Oct 19, 2012 10:42 AM

this is not a meaningful game for the giants. its only week 7. If this was week 12 and these teams were this close (they wont be) then thats a different story. washington is 3-3. they are two plays away from being 1-5. they are not any good. they dont have a team, they have 1 player, and their pass defense is horrendous. giants proved last year that losing to the redskins doesnt matter. the road to the championship hasnt gone through washington in over 20 years.

14. kirkcousins says: Oct 19, 2012 10:44 AM

RG3 does not just run outside. Do you really think that is his only dimension?

Watch out! The shannhans own Perry Fewell. Skins just match up really well with them.

15. burgundyandgold says: Oct 19, 2012 10:48 AM

No disrespect to the Giants but I think the Skins win this game. What I have been most impressed with RGIII is his ability to learn and adjust his game. Last week was an example of learning from the big hit the week before that probably cost the Redskins that game. The defense is dreadful but they have been doing ok with the “bend but don’t break” philosophy. Eli, Cruz and the TE will have big days but I don’t think the Giants will be able to outscore the Redskins. Remember too that the Skins play up for games like this and then will undoubtedly lose the game to Carolina the next week while flexing in front of the mirror.

16. davekezer says: Oct 19, 2012 10:50 AM

Nice to have Osi’s light-hearted comments to even out JPP’s trash talk. And don’t get me wrong… no offense to JPP. I love some trash talk too. I’m just excited for this game. It has so many implications for each teams’ season.

Let’s see what you’re all made of, dudes.

17. annes22 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:52 AM

Sir Robert, since when??? How stupid, what has he done yet?? Wait until Sunday, then let’s see. There are other good rookies out there, he isn’t the only one.

18. mojodoa says: Oct 19, 2012 10:59 AM

Careful, it’s a trap. Bet he calls him Bob after the game (IF the Giants win).

19. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 19, 2012 11:13 AM

Evidently, a segment of Giant Nation is mistaking Osi’s kindness for weakness.

But what Osi stated, in my interpretation – was what a lot of people should do. Osi recognized a mis-statement on his part, admitted it and took the high road with a humble self-effacing approach.

Many go the braggadocio route – refusing to admit a mistake. Osi took the honorable approach, and just because an athlete shows humility doesn’t mean he’s weak or should make segments of their fan base “sick.”

Here is a very short list of humble athletes who were not weak, meek or lame: Tim Duncan, Barry Sanders, Sidney Crosby, Kurt Warner, Troy Polamalu, Wayne Gretzky, etc.

Osi was classy – props to him for that.

Osi could be also playing oppossum. The opposite of what I want in my players is big talkers. I’d rather have big performers.

20. st7007 says: Oct 19, 2012 11:29 AM

The redskins are going to what they did last year beat the giants, and that was with a bum quarterback.

21. landoverleap says: Oct 19, 2012 11:42 AM

skins 41, Gnats 28

22. bluebagz says: Oct 19, 2012 12:02 PM

toonloonboon says:
    Oct 19, 2012 10:42 AM
    ————————-

Are you on crack?All division games matter!!! Not to mention we are 0-2 in the division already.This is a must win game and the Skins are what their record says, a game back from us.If we approach this game with that mentality we will be 4-3 when it’s over.Go Blue!!!

23. andyb053 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:15 PM

@mike bonserio

C’mon dude…he’s just being funny. I wish people would be more lighthearted around the media. No need to put your game face on until game time.

24. baddegg says: Oct 19, 2012 12:20 PM

Lots of Giants commenting on RGIII…he must be in their heads big time!

It’s like someone told me one day, no one goes out and yells, “the sun is coming up tomorrow!”

No need to crow if you can do it. The fact that they are talking at all speaks volumes…

25. lordjoshington says: Oct 19, 2012 12:49 PM

The 76 yard TD run was an INSIDE run. He got to the next level then brought it to the sidelines. Theyve got the G Men soooo worried about the run. If son of Shanahan is smart, the game plan will be lots of play action and slants against that depleted secondary.

26. Raider-in-PA says: Oct 19, 2012 1:06 PM

I had much more respect for Osi before he started talking…

Just play the game and do your talking on the field…

27. londonfletcher59 says: Oct 19, 2012 1:57 PM

@toonloonboon

1)Every game matters bud, especially a division game, and Especially to your team, who’s 0-2 in the division already.

2)”If’s” and “But’s” aren’t stats. Wins are. Every team is “one play” away from winning.

3)They are not any good?? They have the highest scoring offense in the league. Yeah, they’re terrible.

Obviously, I’m a Redskins fan, but I’m also a realist. I’m not going to run around preaching the second coming of Gibbs soul in RGIII, but I’m happy with my team and I hope they get much better. They’re on the right track.

28. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 19, 2012 2:09 PM

I miss the days when Joey Porter would call someone out as his “huckleberry.”

29. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 19, 2012 3:59 PM

macwomack says: Oct 19, 2012 10:37 AM

———–
    ———–

What did Frank Gore — who is better than Morris — do last week? I’m waiting.

30. macwomack says: Oct 19, 2012 4:23 PM

Well Mr. Wright – Frank Gore is not on the team that beat…dare I say owned… the Giants twice last year.

I hope you injoyed your wait. … you’ve certainly waited a year for this game … wait a few more days.

Washington Redskins a better team than a Super Bowl champ. Doesn’t quite sound right but it is a fact.

31. macwomack says: Oct 19, 2012 4:36 PM

Mr. Wright — you still waiting? You said you would wait…. where are you?

I guess you are counting up all the INTs the Giants put up against the Redskins last year. I guess that is what is keeping you busy.