‘Skins lose Fred Davis for the season

Fred Davis AP

Redskins tight end Fred Davis, who signed a one-year franchise tender for 2012, probably won’t be on the wrong end of the franchise tag again.

Davis, we’re told, has a torn Achilles tendon.  It means that he’ll most definitely miss the rest of the year, and that the Redskins likely won’t be willing to give him a 120-percent raise over his 2012 salary in order to keep him in town for another year.

It also means that the Redskins could be inclined to finally bring back Chris Cooley, who was cut before the season and who has remained unsigned.  The in-house options are Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen.

Usually, serious injuries like this can’t be diagnosed without an MRI or other diagnostic testing.  But when the Achilles tendon is torn, it’s usually obvious by feeling the back of the heel for the tendon and realizing it’s not there.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
12 Responses to “‘Skins lose Fred Davis for the season”
  1. bigmikeskinsfan says: Oct 21, 2012 2:32 PM

are you in the training room? oh wait, its Florio. Facts arent needed to report a story!

2. dolfanatik says: Oct 21, 2012 2:34 PM

Hopefully he’s reay for 13′. And a team can sign him to a decent contract.

3. chargersdiehard says: Oct 21, 2012 2:35 PM

Poor guy had to hop on one leg about 50 yards before he finally got to sit on an exam table. Guess he wasn’t worth the cart guys time?

4. blaq007 says: Oct 21, 2012 2:35 PM

dammit man! that hurts…..guess its time to see what niles paul can really do. and bringing cooley back would be a great idea. don’t see why anyone hasn’t snatched him up yet, anyway….

5. blaq007 says: Oct 21, 2012 2:36 PM

My Skins are facing a lotta adversity this year, injury wise. And we’re STILL lookin’ good…..

6. peytonsneckl8 says: Oct 21, 2012 2:41 PM

My favorite Redskin has always been Chris Cooley, looks like he’ll be back with the team next week

7. archanonymous says: Oct 21, 2012 2:46 PM

Time to resign Chris Cooley…..

8. rubicon202 says: Oct 21, 2012 3:36 PM

Well at least he won’t have to worry about being suspended for smokin weed this year!

9. source7769 says: Oct 21, 2012 3:44 PM

even though cooley has no other option to play i hope he tells wash to stick it

10. krissharvey says: Oct 21, 2012 4:23 PM

Where is the logical thinking voice of reason to comment on the Akins losing to my Giants? Eating crow

11. bigjdve says: Oct 21, 2012 5:17 PM

I am not a Fred Davis fan, he is a moron. However this year he was really making strides at becoming a lot better. He wasn’t making as many stupid mistakes, and his blocking was much better. I am sorry to see him go down. I hope he gets better and is ready to go. I think we have seen enough to sign him to a good contract.

I hope we resign Cooley. I think Cooley had options but just didn’t feel the need to take them. He really seems to have made DC his home.

I would love to see him back.

12. whare57 says: Oct 21, 2012 6:21 PM