Ahmad Bradshaw explains sideline words with Coughlin

Ahmad+Bradshaw+Washington+Redskins+v+New+York+Clegv5clJs0l Getty Images

Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw had no interest in talking about what touched off a brief but heated exchange with coach Tom Coughlin on the sideline during Sunday’s 27-23 win over the Redskins.

Bradshaw was in a more chatty and less combative mood on Monday, so he decided to share some details about what went down with Coughlin. After Giants safety Stevie Brown picked off Robert Griffin III in the third quarter, Bradshaw said that he told Coughlin to “run the ball” as he was heading back onto the field. Coughlin had something to say in return, which we suspect was something in the “I’ll call the plays, you run them” area, and the two men volleyed before play resumed.

“A lot of my emotions kicked in and I just wanted to help my team win as much as possible,” Bradshaw said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger.

There didn’t seem to be any hard feelings as Bradshaw got four carries, including a touchdown, on the drive. It was part of an emotional overall day for Bradshaw, who was also caught giving wide receiver Victor Cruz a pretty serious smack upside the head at the end of one run. Bradshaw thought Cruz missed a block on the play, although all was soon forgotten.

Tight end Martellus Bennett said, via Jorge Castillo of the Star-Ledger, that Bradshaw is both touchy feely and heavy handed when he engages in “Ahmading.” That’s not the best combination in the world, but the Giants will surely take it if it means extending their three-game winning streak.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Ahmad Bradshaw explains sideline words with Coughlin”
  1. mt99808 says: Oct 22, 2012 3:15 PM

With my team on a bye I picked this game to watch and all I could think in the 4th quarter was whoever calls the plays for the Giants should be fired. Does Coughlin actually call the plays?

2. rufustfireflyjr says: Oct 22, 2012 3:19 PM

With Bradshaw’s lack of production on the ground and the ‘Skins’ awful secondary, I would have thrown the ball, too.

3. chargerdillon says: Oct 22, 2012 3:20 PM

As a Charger fan having watched my team virtually lay down to lose in two wins, it’s a nice thing to see somebody like Bradshaw actually care to win.

Can’t say i’ve seen my team care about winning since they got Norv.

Any chance I can trade Norv for Eli?

4. rcampore says: Oct 22, 2012 3:22 PM

mt99808 says: Oct 22, 2012 3:15 PM

____________________________________

Gilbride calls the plays and believe me, many Giants fans want to kill him. While he has some great games, there are many games where you just scratch your head. He runs and runs against the 9ers, but abandons it against the Skins?

I’m happy we won, but there was some not so great play calls.

5. dte421 says: Oct 22, 2012 3:33 PM

Yes, that guy who calls the plays for their 2 Super Bowl wins in 5 years, and 6 straight years (pending) of being in the top 12 in the league in total offense… he should definitely be fired.

With that kind of logic, you could be GM for the Chargers. Call Spanos.

6. bigbluenationdb says: Oct 22, 2012 3:36 PM

The play calling by Glibride or checks by Eli were terrible down the stretch. On 3rd and 1 the Giants elected to throw a back shoulder fade to Nicks instead of running it.

Also, late in the game they elected to throw on first down two other times. One lead to an INT and the other was a sack that put the Giants deep in their own end.

I like the agressiveness by Eli but sometimes the Giants need to be a little more conservative. It already cost them the Philly game when they elected to throw the ball deep when they were already in field goal position.

7. weekendwarriorko says: Oct 22, 2012 3:47 PM

The third and 1 where Eli threw the back shoulder fade to Nicks was an inexcusable play call. I get that it is a very high reward play with the potential to catch the defense napping, but the degree of difficult y for the throw was enormous. The Giants will make that throw enough to make it a viable option, but a first down there could have led to sealing that game and avoiding all of the late game dramatics.

8. crapboys says: Oct 22, 2012 4:01 PM

Giants couldn’t run the ball. Look at the average per rush.

Only terrible terrible call was the 3rd and 1 fade. No one makes that on MeAngelo Hall!!!

9. riggz91 says: Oct 22, 2012 4:14 PM

That 3rd and 1 play killed me. I wouldn’t mind it if Eli had the hot hand and he was on fire but he was playing terrible. Gotta run the ball in that spot.

10. keepingitrealdumb says: Oct 22, 2012 4:14 PM

yeah the giants’ play-calling is inept .. what have they accomplished in the last 5 years? only 2 superbowl titles? just 2? 2 is under 50% of the 5 years.

and look at this year .. where is this team this year? just one of the top teams in all of the league? just one of the top?

yeah .. these giants offense and play-callers have no clue how to run an offense

11. dalucks says: Oct 22, 2012 4:22 PM

Why do athlete feel they have to explain everything to the media?
    Next time Ahmad, just tell them “it is none of your business.”
    Stay thirsty my friend. I approve this message.

12. sicklife1 says: Oct 22, 2012 4:29 PM

Listen, if Eli was on his game, none of us would have an issue with the play calling b/c this game would’ve been a blow out. But, by the 4th quarter, any Giants fan knew that Eli did not have his A game & it was best to run the ball in those situations.

My issue with Gilbride is consistency. How do you run it down SF’s throat’s the week before (arguably the best run D in the league), yet give up on the run so quickly against the Redskins?

13. thingamajig says: Oct 22, 2012 4:31 PM

Gilbride got punched in the face once for calling too many pass plays.

14. n0hopeleft says: Oct 22, 2012 4:40 PM

Bottom line is it’s a divisional win, for first place, over a team on the rise, and a fan base that swears their team is going to with the NFC East.

I’ll take it.

The Giants will learn from it and get better.

15. 2difshoe says: Oct 22, 2012 4:43 PM

Wait, are we taking about Tiki or Ahmad…..either way, Tiki is flabbergasted !

16. gcsuk says: Oct 22, 2012 4:50 PM

rufustfireflyjr says:
    Oct 22, 2012 3:19 PM
    ———————————————————-

Dude ran for 320 the last 2 weeks, including 120 against SF. You know the team that hadn’t allowed a 100 yard rusher in over 2 years? I wouldn’t call that “lack of production”, I would call that “the hot hand”.

17. 8to80texansblog says: Oct 22, 2012 4:51 PM

Giants look way too good to make the Superbowl. They need to get mired in mediocrity for the next 6-7 games and make a last minute sprint for the finish.

18. chrisexv6 says: Oct 22, 2012 5:30 PM

I think the play calling was just OK until they got that fumble from RGIII on the Giants 29 yard line.

How in the world can you call a pass as your first play call after getting the ball back with the lead and 3.X minutes left? Even if they gain no yards, at least a run takes 20+ seconds off the clock. So instead they call a pass and Eli hands it right back to them. For all we know Eli wasnt into the play either and that didnt help that pass right to the deadskins.

Luckily they won it, but still. Stuff like that is what loses the Super Bowl.

19. maximusprime107 says: Oct 22, 2012 5:48 PM

I agree they should have ran the ball at the end of the game, it was frustrating to watch as a football fan, not a Giants fan, to see them almost throw that game away many times by not running out some clock

20. solador78 says: Oct 22, 2012 5:55 PM

Brandon Jacobs would be proud.

The G-Men need attitude from their RB in order to be successful.

21. gpete1962 says: Oct 22, 2012 11:02 PM

mt99808 says:
    Oct 22, 2012 3:15 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gilbride sucks as an OC . It’s what I’ve been saying all along. How can you have the best modern day 2 min hurry up QB in the league and not randomly run that offense throughout the game.

name one other assistant head coach who’s won 2 super bowls and wasn’t offered a head coaching job. He couldn’t even get the Head job at UCONN and he grew up in CT

22. ballsavy says: Oct 23, 2012 12:57 AM

I wouldnt have it any other way….chaios and eli work hand in hand …..its in his dna…he thrives on the chaotic moments….the crazier the moment thats when elite eli shows up….what a fun time to be a giant fan….enjoy it fellow fans…while it last….he is one of a kind!!!!

23. canesgiants says: Oct 23, 2012 9:47 AM

I’m happy we won, but there was some not so great play calls.
    ===================================
    do the o coordinators on this board realize that the qb has 100 percent control on changing plays. the one where he threw the pick after the giants picked rg3 was a run that eli changed to a pass.

24. macwomack says: Oct 23, 2012 9:58 AM

May be Bradshaw wanted to run it up the middle or to the edge.

Mr. Wright -who posts here – think such plays are “gimmicky”.

I guess most of the younger fans don’t know what a strong running game is all about.

25. reekerbreeker says: Oct 24, 2012 5:21 PM

On the whole Gilbride is a good play caller. Who called the last play to Victor Cruz? He did. The 3rd and 1 call was a good one as well, but Eli and Nicks did not execute. You can’t blame Gilbride for that. Is he perfect? No. Is he a 2-time Superbowl winner? Yes.