Calais Campbell hates the 49ers, “with a passion”

Christian Ponder, Calais Campbell AP

On Monday night, the Cardinals will try to reverse a current three-game losing streak, via a game against the 49ers.  Arizona defensive end Calais Campbell is looking forward to the opportunity.

“I really felt like I could have had four sacks last week and I had zero,” Campbell told Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan of SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday, regarding the Cardinals’ Week Seven loss to the Vikings.  “So I gotta make up for that this week especially going against the 49ers who I really hate with a passion.  I can’t wait to go out there and stick it to them.  Alex Smith I’ve gotten down a few times so I know he’s thinking about me a little bit.  So I can’t wait to get out there.”

Told that the Niners don’t like him either, Campbell had no complaints.  “They’re not supposed to like me,” Campbell said.  “I’m not supposed to like you.  That’s what makes this game so special.  I mean, off the field I don’t have nothing against anybody but on that field come Monday night, it’s on and crackin’.”

It definitely is, and it definitely will be, in six days.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Calais Campbell hates the 49ers, “with a passion””
  1. robataille says: Oct 23, 2012 7:00 PM

He might Suh Alex Smith….

2. jhicks31 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:01 PM

Jealousy is such a female trait. Should be a good game. But I guess those 2 will have another reason to hate em after Monday night…

3. goldrush36 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:02 PM

I still think the cards are a pretty good team overall. Will or should be a solid game. With that said if they drop this one 4-0 to 4-6 becomes almost a certainty. Green Bay has become hot and then they roll into Atlanta. Aside from against the 49ers I would much rather see the cards be successful than the hawks.

4. rectumdamnnearkilledem says: Oct 23, 2012 7:04 PM

I am a 49ers fan and still love his attitude. It’s a little refreshing to hear the honesty. Now I Definetly hope Frank Gore runs for 200 yards on him…but still respect his candid talk

5. Nevis says: Oct 23, 2012 7:04 PM

Same talk Dockett was making a couple years ago.

6. dwoofer says: Oct 23, 2012 7:09 PM

Hey, Noners, you will lose. You also will not get anywhere near the Super Bowl.

7. sonoco says: Oct 23, 2012 7:09 PM

Actually the Cards beat the 49ers last time they played. A new losing streak begins for the Cards on Monday.

8. smitty9er says: Oct 23, 2012 7:12 PM

I’ve never heard of this guy, who is he again?

9. purplengold says: Oct 23, 2012 7:12 PM

I really felt like I coulda woulda shoulda have had 4 sacks…

10. seahawks4alltime says: Oct 23, 2012 7:12 PM

As a Seahawks fan I don’t particularly like either team. And it’s hard to know who to root for in the 49ers/Cardinals game. And even though the Seahawks are currently 0-3 in the NFC West, I am going to root for Arizona to win and Seattle to beat Detroit and the Patriots to beat the Rams.

11. purpleguy says: Oct 23, 2012 7:13 PM

The Cards D is okay, but that Campbell shoulda coulda woulda had 4 sacks last week mumbo jumbo is just that — a bunch of wishful mumbo jumbo. If he wanted to see how to get sacks, he should have just watched the opposing team’s defensive ends, one of which had 3 and the other 2.

12. surferbum01 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:15 PM

Tough talk for a guy named after a coastal town in France.

13. mike8016 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:16 PM

Actually the 49ers are on a losing streak against the Cardinals. They lost Week 14 in 2011.

14. discosucs2005 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:22 PM

As much as it pains me to say this as a 49er fan, I’m fairly certain the Cardinals beat us once last year, so we definitely don’t have a win streak on them. I hope that changes soon.

15. java49 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:26 PM

Ms. Campbell, youve been hanging around Darnella and Adrianna waaay too much girl! I guess the three of you cant help but hate, its in your DNA.

16. goldrush36 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:28 PM

sonoco says: Oct 23, 2012 7:09 PM

_____________________________________
    He means the cards are on a 3 game losing streak and will try to reverse that when they meet the 49ers. Not that they are on a 3 game skid to the niners

17. lottsmissingfinger says: Oct 23, 2012 7:41 PM

I’m a 49er fan but I also have to admit Calais Campbell is a very good player. He’s a top 3 3-4 DE in the NFC and was the best defensive player on the Cardinal roster last season even though he doesn’t get the press that Dockett and Peterson get.

That being said, the 49ers should win this one based on consistent (not stellar) QB play and a MUCH better offensive line.

18. doug1grohlin says: Oct 23, 2012 7:41 PM

I’ll bet he could get paid enough to love them.

19. steelers4385 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:43 PM

Skelton sucks so bad its unbearable

20. dc4949 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:45 PM

Hey, what a coincidence, I almost had 4 sacks in that game too.

21. paythevig says: Oct 23, 2012 8:05 PM

Niner fan here,

Playing in Arizona’s not easy – especially when the Cards are doing well in this young season (despite the 3 game skid) – they’ve beaten some solid teams and are making the NFC West proud. After losing to them last season amidst their better stretch of the season, I wasn’t shocked that we lost. I wouldn’t be shocked if that were the case this time around either. We play them much better when we’re home.

Anyways – glad he’s chirping – this has been a good rivalry over the years, and both teams seem to land on MNF quite often over the past several years. Should be a good game either way, and I think both sides will score a little more than our thursday nigher against the hawks.

Maybe we’ll see our first dose of Brandon Jacobs…. but i’ve been thinking that for the last 3 weeks.

Both Defenses are the bread and butter of their team. I hope we stick to running the football. Not sure how many points we have to spot before our coaches understand what our formula for success is.

Good game fellas, great to be in a competitive race for the NFC West!

22. goldrush4949 says: Oct 23, 2012 8:05 PM

I imagine Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown can’t help but burst into uncontrollable laughter when breaking down Skelton film.

23. goldrush36 says: Oct 23, 2012 8:27 PM

mike8016 says: Oct 23, 2012 7:16 PM

_____________________________________
    We’ll besides the lack of reading comprehension. I’d also like to point out that ONE game is not a streak… Too much Arizona sun?

24. ninerdynasty says: Oct 23, 2012 8:40 PM

Take a number and jump in the wagon of niner haters.. these days it seems like its full.. i bet they all want to shoot themselves too. lol

25. baloneyjohn says: Oct 23, 2012 8:55 PM

Big deal, Transfer this to destroying the 49’ers QB’s and RB’s.

26. baymac408 says: Oct 23, 2012 8:57 PM

I’ve never heard of this clown…. Haha play like you hate us you will get blocked, wont matter what you love or hate.. I love division rivalry especially when the other team runs their mouth… FRANK GORE All over you!! Lets get it in!! GO NINERS

27. 4d9erdynasty says: Oct 23, 2012 8:58 PM

I respect it. Nothing like having a great rival. It makes the games even more interesting. Team rivals aint like they used to be.

28. mike8016 says: Oct 23, 2012 9:11 PM

@Goldrush36

My bad. I’m actually a Niner fan.

29. bigredjbird says: Oct 23, 2012 9:15 PM

Cardinals always play the 9rs hard should be a good game in the best division in NFL

30. billhicks666 says: Oct 23, 2012 9:31 PM

surferbum01 says:

“Tough talk for a guy named after a coastal town in France.”

That could very well be the single dumbest statement I”ve read on these boards.

31. jnova80 says: Oct 23, 2012 9:31 PM

“I really felt like I could have had four sacks last week and I had zero,”

This quote is just hilarious to me for some reason.

32. bcfalcon says: Oct 23, 2012 9:32 PM

Calais Campbell is such an underrated player. going to be a good game between the cards-49ers, two gridiron defenses squaring off against each other.

33. newy0rker says: Oct 23, 2012 9:33 PM

I do too

34. Kreedos says: Oct 23, 2012 9:34 PM

#Birdgang

35. dannymac17 says: Oct 23, 2012 9:35 PM

goldrush4949 says:
    Oct 23, 2012 8:05 PM

______

You mean the same guys who got torched by Christian Ponder?

The one who threw for 56 yards on the Cards last sunday?

They shouldnt be laughing. Cause Whitner stinks and the only reason they get anything is cause those LB’s are beasts

36. cablelayer says: Oct 23, 2012 10:11 PM

Can’t take someone too seriously when they’re named after a crappy Oldsmobile Calais.

37. crazysamoan says: Oct 23, 2012 10:29 PM

Haters gonna always hate!!

38. tiggerblood says: Oct 23, 2012 10:50 PM

To the person that said who is this guy, umm only one of the best 3-4 d-ends in the game just because he’s been on a terrible quarterbacked team the last few years doesn’t mean he isn’t good. That being said the cards are a quarterback away from the playoffs. They should give Warner a call he’s probably still better than what they got.

39. thermalito says: Oct 23, 2012 11:40 PM

The best thing he could do for the 49ers is to injure Alex Smith

40. thermalito says: Oct 23, 2012 11:41 PM

I imagine every defensive back in the league can’t help but burst into uncontrollable laughter when breaking down Alex Smith film.

41. goldrush94 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:59 PM

Interested to see how he fairs against Niners’ superior O-line.

42. pop562 says: Oct 24, 2012 1:59 AM

Arizona cardinals o line gave up 35 sacks the most in the league, the 49ers gave up 20 sacks which isn’t great, but the niners o line is made for the run game not really good at pass protection. Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Amad Brooks heck the whole line backing core is going to rush the cardinals o line like the speed of light through fiber optics. I don’t see a close game because the niners have own the cardinals on monday night football even with Kurt Warner at QB…go check out the stats for 2009 and 2010. Last year cards beat the 49ers by 2 points and Alex smith almost came back. But last year the 49ers embarrassed the cardinals in the first game. Good luck cardinals with that o line and no run game…I don’t see a close game, on top of that they lost to the bills…the BILLS.

43. beastmode5150 says: Oct 24, 2012 3:18 AM

As a Seahawks fan, I say Go Cards!

44. eleventy4 says: Oct 24, 2012 3:31 AM

Beanie Wells said it first, look what happened to him. Push your luck Calais. It might actually be at the hands of Alex Boone, like the tackling sled of legend.

45. eleventy4 says: Oct 24, 2012 3:33 AM

My prediction on this game: 49ers 6, Cards 0.

46. discosucs2005 says: Oct 24, 2012 3:40 AM

I love these rivalries. The rest of the league has been bashing the NFC West for years (even though we lead the last 10 years in Super Bowl appearances), but there have been so many good games between NFC west teams.

The MNF game a few years ago where Gore was stopped on the one yard line.

Last year when the Cards beat us in a huge upset.

The Seahawks/Cards game this season.

The last two 49ers/Seahawks games.

Looking forward to a good MNF game. Between that and the (Baseball) Giants it could be a pretty stressful night in San Francisco.

47. tatum064 says: Oct 24, 2012 4:18 AM

The sport of Football hates your Quarterback, Calais…. But, opposing defensive linemen love your quarterbacks.

48. theysone says: Oct 24, 2012 5:55 AM

Careful Calais…the last player to express his hate for the 49ere before a game was Javid Best, and he hasn’t played a down in the NFL since the game last year.

49. bittersportspills says: Oct 24, 2012 7:35 AM

Too funny. Some fans are giving Campbell the business for saying he hates the niners, but they don’t know he’s one of the best defensive ends in the sport.

50. briank1ne says: Oct 24, 2012 10:36 AM

49ers own mnf. look at their stats when it comes to monday night. on another note i think the cards have beaten the 49ers only once in the last 5 or 6 meeting. i could be mistaken. but for real. the niners really shine on monday nighters. remember the steelers game last year? 20-3

51. sportnorcal says: Oct 24, 2012 4:59 PM

I realize players of his caliber do this for attention and to make a name for himself – but it didnt work. I still have no idea who the hell he is but we should hear his name often Monday Night as Gore is running by him.

52. 4hrchubby says: Oct 24, 2012 7:10 PM

I really felt like I should have made $250,000 last year…but I made zero.

LOL..

53. theuglitruth says: Oct 26, 2012 6:08 PM

Two words give the Cardinals a real chance to win this game…Alex Smith.

54. jwilliamsspf says: Oct 29, 2012 4:38 PM

I love how 49er fans ride their bandwagon and then show their lack of football knowledge with, “Who is this clown,” when referring to one of the best players in the league at his position.

Laughable fan base even when they’re winning.