Kindle not frustrated by being demoted to practice squad

Sergio Kindle AP

Ravens outside linebacker Sergio Kindle lost a roster spot and a pile of money last week, but he insists he’s not losing patience.

The former second-round pick was knocked down to the practice squad when Terrell Suggs was activated last week, but said he isn’t as frustrating as you’d think.

“It could be, but it hasn’t,” Kindle said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “Being frustrated isn’t going to help, so why do it? I feel like there should be more motivation, but my motivation was never deterred regardless.”

Kindle had a load of potential before breaking his skull and suffering hearing damage in his left ear prior to his rookie season. But he’s only been active once, and has one tackle.

By going to the practice squad, his weekly paychecks have shrunk from $27,644 per week to $5,750.

“Yeah, it’s a business,” Kindle said. “I know the business aspect of it. Being upset wasn’t going to get me back on the team. . . .

“I feel like I’ve improved as a player all the way around. Whatever they’re asking of me specifically, I wouldn’t know yet.”

Kindle’s probably fortunate to be getting paid any amount, and if the Ravens hadn’t sunk a high pick in him, he probably wouldn’t be getting this chance.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Kindle not frustrated by being demoted to practice squad”
  1. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 23, 2012 2:49 PM

Bust

2. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 23, 2012 2:52 PM

The Kindle is lit but no one is home.

3. pats54 says: Oct 23, 2012 2:52 PM

I remember when Belichick got so much criticism because he didn’t pick Kindle. Instead he picked some guy named Gronkowski. I wonder if he ever amounted to anything.

4. Daboys says: Oct 23, 2012 3:09 PM

Maybe they should trade him for the “Kindle” Fired HD?

5. paychrisjohnson28 says: Oct 23, 2012 3:22 PM

Bust ? The man had a fractured skull…and is still trying to play football … Things would be different if it wasn’t for that injury…

6. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 23, 2012 3:24 PM

He’s not frustrated about it beacause that means he won’t have to be on the field for the weekly slap-down.

7. dalucks says: Oct 23, 2012 3:34 PM

Being that Sergio Kindle gets paid while he is on the practice squad makes things a lot easier. The fractured skull injury has slowed him down but the practice squad is better than sitting at home.

Just to give you some perspective on this situation.

8. sactogary says: Oct 23, 2012 3:53 PM

Hey, pay me $100K to be on the practice squad for 17 weeks and I’ll take it. Uhhh, that does come with medical insurance, right?

9. southbeachtalent says: Oct 23, 2012 4:41 PM

broken skull, hearing loss… wow

I would say it’s time to transition to the real word Sergio..

10. takingbacksundays5 says: Oct 23, 2012 4:52 PM

Must be nice to make $5,750 a week AFTER a pay cut! How ever will the poor guy survive??

11. c4patsfan says: Oct 23, 2012 5:00 PM

That sucks because don’t NFL players get game check only.

12. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 23, 2012 5:42 PM

Gosh! I hope he can survive on $5,700 per week!!! I bet many fans don’t even make that in a month. I’d say the Ravens have done right by him, considering the circumstances. Not sure how anyone can claim he’s a bust, though. Due to the unfortunate non-football related injury, his career hasn’t even really started. I admire him for having a positive attitude and striving to get back into the game.

13. jlv3gem says: Oct 23, 2012 6:18 PM

It seems as if every headline I clicked on so far has a typo or two in it.. Another one here..

14. jlv3gem says: Oct 23, 2012 6:21 PM

These guys make way too much money I’m losing interest in the NFL