Ron Rivera knows he’s coaching for his job now

Dallas Cowboys v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

The guy who hired Ron Rivera was fired yesterday, which means Rivera’s realistic about what could happen next.

The Panthers coach said after the firing of general manager Marty Hurney that he thought he was safe, but understands the evaluation that’s happening now.

Asked if he felt like he was coaching for his job the next 10 weeks, he said that’s been the same his entire career.

“This is no different. I come to work like I did as a player, and that’s to do the best I can.”

It is different, though.

At one point, the best thing Rivera has going for him might have been the two years remaining on his $11.2 million contract. Owner Jerry Richardson let John Fox ride into a lame duck year no one wanted because he didn’t want to be on the hook for $11.4 million in coaching salaries (including assistants who were under contract).

But Jerry Richardson fired his sons, and now he fired the guy he trusted to rebuild his franchise, a guy he had — and make no mistake, still has — a deep relationship with. Hurney was practically family to Richardson, and it’s no accident there was no press conference yesterday in the aftermath of an emotional decision.

Rivera’s just the new guy, a guy with a 7-15 record. And with a new GM coming in at some point, he has little security other than the possibility Richardson wants to save some more money.

Rivera also can’t promise anything to the rest of his staff. Asked Monday if firing assistants was a possibility, he avoided a straight answer.

“This is a process that we’re going to go through as far as an evaluation and we’ll see how things go,” Rivera said staff changes. “If that’s what has to happen eventually, then yeah – maybe that’s what happens. Do we cut players? Yeah. If we have to, maybe that’s what we’ll have to do.”

And maybe Richardson will be willing to bite the bullet for coaching contracts that are still on the low end of the scale this time, if that’s what his next GM wants him to do.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Ron Rivera knows he’s coaching for his job now”
  1. KIR says: Oct 23, 2012 8:10 AM

Other than the last two games he has had the worst defense the last 2 years. He should be concerned.

2. jgedgar70 says: Oct 23, 2012 8:22 AM

“I always feel like I’m coaching for my job,” he said. “It’s just like when I was a player. I was drafted in the second round in 1984. For nine years, I came into that facility in Chicago, wondering if I was going to get cut. This is no different. I come to work like I did as a player, and that’s to do the best I can.”

So our coach is coaching scared and paranoid. How bloody brilliant. The players will feed off that and play scared and paranoid. Looks like we’re going to go 2-14 again…

3. fumblenuts says: Oct 23, 2012 9:07 AM

Coaching scared is not a good thing…..never has been.

4. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Oct 23, 2012 9:41 AM

outside of the carolinas, people are absolutely clueless about this team. the D isn’t really the problem. Cam definitely isn’t the problem. the only players who are really dragging down the team are the O linemen.

firing marty was long overdue. but the other half of carolina’s major problem is the coaching. rivera and chud are the common denominator in a lot of games that carolina has given away. almost all of this team’s problems can be boiled down to BAD COACHING.

5. melikefootball says: Oct 23, 2012 12:05 PM

It is a shame the players aren’t held accountable as well. The coaches can coach all week but the players are the ones on the field carring out the play calls. You have to look at cam and his pouting after games, he needs to take charge he is the player being paid the bucs to produce. He needs to stop the superman BS and make the plays. Other players aren’t without blame as well.

6. westcoastbucsfan says: Oct 23, 2012 12:18 PM

As a Bucs fan, this is awesome. Excuse me while I refill my bucket of popcorn.

7. CKL says: Oct 23, 2012 1:39 PM

I wonder how many GMs will take the job if JR makes it a condition that the staff has to be allowed to fulfill their contracts? I also wonder why they would decide to part ways in midseason of JR didn’t have some idea of who he wants to hire as a replacement? I also wonder what it was about Rivera that made the mild mannered and very tolerant Lovie Smith can him so suddenly over 4 years ago?

8. openseason51 says: Oct 23, 2012 3:57 PM

Cam Newton is the problem child that no one really wants to coach but has too. Cam has that low life Warren Moon helping him to be nothing but a cry baby. Ron works hard but with Moon in the background he doesn’t stand a chance.

9. ricksaints says: Oct 23, 2012 4:26 PM

Maybe he should put out a suggestion box for ideas on how to keep his job.