Suh says he doesn’t care if people think he’s a dirty player

Detroit Lions v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Given that many people already perceive him as a dirty player, Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said he didn’t care if more people thought that after last night’s Greco Roman-style hit on Jay Cutler.

Suh called it a “football play,” and said he was checking on Cutler afterward to see if he was OK.

People are always going to have their opinions,” Suh said, vua Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune. “It’s not going to hurt my feelings.”

Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall had his opinion, which stood in contrast to Suh’s self-scouting. And there are now multiple reports that the league won’t fine Suh for the hit.

Cutler, who missed one play while trainers checked him out, downplayed the hit. Between the arm around the neck and the “sweep the leg,” action, it probably looked worse than it actually was

“There were no harsh words between us,” Suh said. “I wanted to make sure he was good. I’m never a person to injure anybody and take anybody out of the game.

“That’s why I checked on him when he was there on the ground. I asked one of his people if he was OK. He got up, ran by me, hit me in my stomach and told me he was fine. And later on, I checked on him again.”

Suh and Cutler have similar problems of perception. Because of past behavior, people are going to view any future actions through a certain filter, so even hits that are clean are going to be viewed more skeptically than if another player doles out the same shot.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
57 Responses to “Suh says he doesn’t care if people think he’s a dirty player”
  1. traveye99 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:26 AM

I’m a Bears fan and didn’t see that as a dirty play. Actually was impressed with Suh showing class for once by checking on Cutler and interacting with him as he was jogging off the field.

2. kingmj4891 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:28 AM

Not a dirty hit.

The bigger story should be that Detroit needs to fire Scott Linehan.

3. mrpilsner says: Oct 23, 2012 11:29 AM

That was a football play.

Hard nose, NFC North football by two pretty good ballplayers.

MJD, tweet something from your training room.

Go Bears!

4. klownboy says: Oct 23, 2012 11:30 AM

This, ladies and gentlemen, are the Detroit Lions of the foreseeable future…

5. bearflagfan says: Oct 23, 2012 11:32 AM

Read NFL 2012 Rules 12-2-6(a) (leg whip) and 12-2-9(b) (stuffing/wrestling moves against passer). http://bit.ly/Po5RNQ

The Suh-Cutler tackle was a violation of either/ both of those rules. If Suh isn’t fined a lot of QBs are going to be “stuffed” into the ground until someone’s neck is broken.

6. seattlerogueburner says: Oct 23, 2012 11:35 AM

Clean hit. What, was Suh just supposed to make Cutler lose his balance and gently lay him on the field? A defender tries to make the ball carrier lose the ball, and that’s exactly what Suh was trying to do. No cheap shot, facemask, late hit, helmet to helmet, nothing. Just wrapped Hom up and took him down.

7. onealt1 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:38 AM

I’m a big Bears fan, but that was a legal play. Cutler and Lovie both said it: “That’s football.”

8. contrasuxbalz says: Oct 23, 2012 11:42 AM

I was just like oh my god he is going to stomp on him now. Look out Cutler there is a 4 year old in a mans body and he is going to start stomping.

9. mangycougar says: Oct 23, 2012 11:44 AM

Not a Suh fan but, it was clean.

The fact that Cutler let him know that he was all right seems to indicate that this is non issue between them.

10. dfeltz says: Oct 23, 2012 11:46 AM

I believe Suh when he says these things. I also believe Suh to be bipolar.

11. megatron1120 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:47 AM

Exactly. Football is a physical sport with contact and you have to be aggressive. You play for the coaches and teammates in your locker room, and as long as your confident in yourself don’t worry about the haters. Your fine Suh! GO LIONS!!!

12. sikoix says: Oct 23, 2012 11:48 AM

When is the last time Suh was written about for just having a solid game effort? We get it — he has all the physical tools, but why does it seem like he just isn’t that good at football? He strikes me as the third or fourth best player on his own defensive line.

At least he’s not using that “I’m so strong it just looks worse than it is” line.

13. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 23, 2012 11:49 AM

Surprised that sandwich company has him as the face of their product.. dirty player equals dirty sandwiches…

14. xplicitpits says: Oct 23, 2012 11:50 AM

It’s football! Must be hard up for something to write about! Still trying to bash one of the leagues best young stars. Do a article on how pathetic the red zone offense was or great the bears red zone defense was. I guess it doesn’t surprise me though. I good article might if been “if the lions would of kicked 3 field goals on first down in the red zone, they would if win the game 16-13!”

15. rootgamble says: Oct 23, 2012 11:52 AM

As a Bears fan, the hit was viscous but well within the rules of the game. Maybe it’s time for people (coughMJDcough) to stop questioning Cutler’s toughness? Say what you want about his jerkface and demeanor, but the guy is a competitor.

And why no story about him bringing the whole family of the fan who got killed in Jacksonville to the game on his dime? We wouldn’t want to show Cutler doing something nice for someone else now would we?

16. bigjdve says: Oct 23, 2012 11:53 AM

I saw the hit, Suh used his hand to make sure that his helmet didn’t get near Cutler’s helmet. Yes Cutler went down hard but Suh made it so that his head wasn’t what hit.

Yes it was a hard hit, but as far as these things go that was one of the better hits I have seen. There are alot more questionable hits then that one.

Of course Marshall wants to stand up for his QB, but Suh has made dirty hits, but I don’t think that was one of them.

17. jgrange08 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:54 AM

Said it before, I’ll say it again…I’d rather be called dirty than soft

18. maddbearfan says: Oct 23, 2012 11:54 AM

And Suh did walk over after the hit and after the game to see Cutler. Still was a nasty hit, and was more than just a tackle.

19. thejohnsmith1122 says: Oct 23, 2012 11:55 AM

People don’t “think” he’s a dirty player, people KNOW he’s a dirty player. After reviewing the replays, it looks like Suh could’ve just wrapped up Cutler and perform a “regular” tackle, instead he decided to do a bodyslam with forearm pushing down on Cutler’s neck. Regardless if that was the point of injury, it was a DIRTY takedown.

20. blackandbluedivision says: Oct 23, 2012 12:00 PM

Suh and Cutler have similar problems of perception.
    ______________________________

Not really. They don’t have perception problems. They both have a “media fishing for a story” problem. Either way as long as the perform on the field and don’t have issues in the locker room, they don’t have a problem.

21. bandjammer says: Oct 23, 2012 12:00 PM

How can players be fined for a blow to the head of a quarterback, but when Suh slams Cutler’s head into the ground with all his weight on his neck, nothing is done. It was a vicious hit, which could have been done more efficiently and with less violent intent. This was as bad as any horse collar tackle.

22. lrt79 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:00 PM

Huge Bears fans, and it was a clean hit – though he could have let off as the whistles started blowing right before he dragged Cutler down.

However, any fan would cheer their defensive player on for making this move. Stafford had a similar thing happen to him at the end of the game where he ended up with grass in his facemask, and that was cheered mightily.

It’s just part of the game.

23. blackandbluedivision says: Oct 23, 2012 12:03 PM

Coincidentally, of all the players on the Bears Jay Cutler has the perception problem (in the eyes of the media).

While it looks like Brandon Marshall is a model citizen. People don’t talk about his issues as much as they do these two.

24. buckeyeluvn says: Oct 23, 2012 12:05 PM

He’s a real football player. Not of the new breed that wants to be protected by bubble wrap! Keep playing hard. I like the old school players.

25. jwh8541 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:16 PM

If it was such a clean football play why was Sue over there apologizing to Cutler? Look Suh is a bully who plays half the time.

26. detroitnorth says: Oct 23, 2012 12:26 PM

Cutler said after the game that it was a clean play. If he says it that’s all that should matter.

27. thejohnsmith1122 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:38 PM

I don’t think Suh went over to ask Cutler if he was okay because he geniunely cared. Suh knew immediately what kind of attention hit would bring so he needed to act fast.

28. thejohnsmith1122 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:40 PM

================================

What’s Cutler supposed to do when there wasn’t a flag? Complain so people can make fun of his “toughness”?

29. truefootballinsight says: Oct 23, 2012 12:40 PM

If this is a dirty play then football is down right filthy.
    Love me some dirt in my face. Let the players play. It’s a dangerous game, knowing that play if you want the risk and rewards, don’t if you don’t want them.

30. ihaterogergoodell says: Oct 23, 2012 12:42 PM

Bears fan here. I don’t see anything wrong with that hit. The more subjective we make refereeing, the worse the NFL gets in my opinion. Determining intent is a slippery slope.

We have to accept that things like this happen to our opponents and our own guys. That’s football. What makes the sport dangerous is also what makes it exciting. For all of those calling for Suh to get fined, be careful what you wish for!

31. mullman76 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:45 PM

@bearflagfan- Nice research bro, too bad it was all for not. It was a clean, violent hit- you know, similar to what you would find on any sunday in a NFL football game.

Suh is a beast- he should be wearing Silver and Black instead of that silly Honolulu Blue, or whatever they call it….

32. macgee10 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:45 PM

People think he is a dirty player because he has a history of it.

33. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 23, 2012 12:45 PM

The Lions are just awful.

34. robinandtony101 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:49 PM

to all you saying it was time hard of a hit or dirty hit. come on man! it’s football which is physical! if you don’t like the hits go watch tennis, golf, or baseball. you all would have hated the greats, butkus, Lambert, Ham, Greene, singletary, Lott, ect. time to stop babying these divas and let the defense play!

35. clu1perceiver says: Oct 23, 2012 12:50 PM

Let sports science do an analysis video on the hit with the NFL rules that apply.

36. TxGrown says: Oct 23, 2012 12:50 PM

If Suh played in the sixties he would be considered one of the old time smash mouth greats. The man plays football.

37. mossnomore says: Oct 23, 2012 12:54 PM

What if people think you’re just not very good?

38. CKL says: Oct 23, 2012 12:56 PM

mrpilsner says:
    Oct 23, 2012 11:29 AM

MJD, tweet something from your training room.
    _________________________________
    Hahahaa…the minute I saw him get hurt I hate to say it but I was thinking I wonder if he “gets” it now about Cutler’ really being hurt?

I hate Suh, but I think it’s important to judge things on an individual basis as much as possible unless three’s a reason not to. In this case, the hit looked unusual, so I think that made it look worse than it really was as far as “dirty or clean”. It was violent, but clean I would say.

39. buckeyeluvn says: Oct 23, 2012 1:07 PM

He wasn’t apologising! He was making sure he was OK.

40. chi01town says: Oct 23, 2012 1:10 PM

Suh picked Cutler up off the grass before leg whipping an driving Cutler to the grass with all his weight. by the RULES the leg whip alone should get him fined an his mouth should get him kicked out for six games.

41. larryboodry says: Oct 23, 2012 1:14 PM

As much as I dislike Suh – count me as one of those who alrady consider him a dirty player – I feel this was a LEGAL (but still malicious) hit. That said, maybe the rule should be tweaked a bit, as Cutler’s neck or shoulder easily could have sustained serious injury.

42. jimmylions says: Oct 23, 2012 1:19 PM

bearflagfan says: Read NFL 2012 Rules 12-2-6(a) (leg whip) and 12-2-9(b) (stuffing/wrestling moves against passer).

—————-
    Mike Pereira disagrees with you – he called it a “clean hit” and said he thought it was “cool” that Suh checked to make sure Cutler was ok.

You can say a lot of things about Cutler, but he’s no wimp.

As for my Lions … when we cough up the ball 3 times in the red zone, we should expect to lose. That was painful last night.

Defenses for both teams played well – Bears D definitely got it done.

43. vbe2 says: Oct 23, 2012 1:20 PM

He doesn’t care? Let people complain to Subway or other endoresments and then have those taken away from him because of it and he’ll care.

44. whodatsaybaby says: Oct 23, 2012 1:21 PM

Suh doesn’t care that we think he’s dirty. Now the world could live in peace, apparently. Thanks for clearing that up Suh. Your such a good guy.

45. keakuamai says: Oct 23, 2012 1:26 PM

This is such a non story mostly because Suh doesn’t care about what anyone thinks or what he does to anyone else anyway

46. granadafan says: Oct 23, 2012 1:28 PM

Suh gets extra scrutiny because he deserves it from all the dirty hits he’s done in his short career. He’s lost the benefit of the doubt. It looked like a very hard clean hit, but he didn’t need to use his forearm to shove Cutler’s head into the turf.

47. jeffa43 says: Oct 23, 2012 1:30 PM

Not caring is his way of dealing with his anger.

48. hehateme2 says: Oct 23, 2012 1:51 PM

Face it, the Hello Kittys just don’t know how to win. That coaching staff is a mess!

49. otis52gsh says: Oct 23, 2012 2:06 PM

His past actions have proven he is a dirty player, you dont get suspended for clean play. Mondays hit didn’t change it one way or another. Matty would have been done for the season after a hit like that one. I take Jay over stafford any day.

50. wizahdry says: Oct 23, 2012 2:12 PM

If Suh is a dirty player I’ll take a defense with 11 of him. Look at all the great dynasties and they all had at least one guy like Suh. Defenses need a little nasty toughness to dominate. I’m in Tampa and I would take a straight up Suh/Mccoy trade any day of the week.

51. enochmh2 says: Oct 23, 2012 2:30 PM

9 out of 10 times we complain that the calls on qb’s a ridiculously soft,yet when it comes to suh suddenly…….

52. richc111 says: Oct 23, 2012 2:47 PM

Sure you can hit Cutler like that but you better not hit Brady or Manning like that.

53. jtmartinez34 says: Oct 23, 2012 3:04 PM

The Suh hit on Cutler was fine. Within the rules? A football play? I guess. But he did try to break him in half. At least be honest about that. “I wasn’t trying to injure him. I’m just a big strong guy who doesn’t know his own strength”. BS. Who cares though. The most memorable moment for me was Stafford’s last pic and laying on the grounding agony with that huge piece of sod on his face. Priceless!

54. dg0122 says: Oct 23, 2012 3:04 PM

well, most serial cheap-shotting, road-raging roid heads dont care what other people think…btw why is he still getting paid by Subway?

55. hatesycophants says: Oct 23, 2012 3:22 PM

Some of you “fans” should go back to soccer. He should have “wrapped him up in a regular tackle”? What does that mean? When the QB and his coach say it was legal, you have to question the sanity of someone still beating that drum. Yellow card!

56. tannethrill says: Oct 23, 2012 4:30 PM

Guy made a clean tackle and you can’t ask him to hold back if he’s doing it by the book.

Get better at blocking.

57. traveye99 says: Oct 23, 2012 5:44 PM

@bearglagfan again this is coming from a fellow Bears fan. The only way that hit is illegal is if it happens in the pocket. Once Cutler ran out of the pocket he is no longer a passer and is treated like a running back. The hit was violent but this is the NFL which the last time I checked was still somewhat of a contact sport.