Vick said he wasn’t worried about being replaced

Detroit Lions v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Even though it was news in Philadelphia last week that Eagles quarterback Michael Vick would remain the starter, Vick said he never worried about his status.

It was never a time when I didn’t know whether I was going to be the starter or not,” Vick said Monday, via Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Quite frankly, I know what I can do when I’m out there, and I know what has to happen when I’m out there on the football field.

“That’s just my approach now, to go out there and get the job done. We’ll see what happens.”

Vick said he talked to coach Andy Reid before practice Monday, “about his feelings and his thoughts and my feelings and my thoughts about certain things.”

Maybe they talked about the “more turnovers than touchdowns” thing in there somewhere as well, but Vick didn’t say so.

The one thing he has is the support of his teammates.

“I’m not sure anybody in the locker room was wondering that,” running back LeSean McCoy said. “We all pretty much knew that Mike was the quarterback. He’s our guy and he’s our leader.”

It’s not uncommon for players to circle the wagons around their buddies, but anyone who thinks Vick is on perfectly stable footing is either in denial, lying or dumb. Last week’s firing of defensive coordinator Juan Castillo established the fact it’s every man for himself, and that Reid wouldn’t hesitate to toss anyone over the side of the boat if it kept him afloat.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Vick said he wasn’t worried about being replaced”
  1. bleedeaglegreen says: Oct 23, 2012 8:47 AM

Does this guy ever shut up & just play??

What he should have said was “much love to Juan for taking the bullet for me in my turnover plagued season.” Instead we all once again hear him telling us how good he is & how “he knows what he can do out there.” I cannot wait until this underachieving, poor excuse for a QB is out of an Eagles uniform. We traded a guy that took us to 5 NFC championship games & a SB for this ineptness.

2. eaglesw00t says: Oct 23, 2012 8:52 AM

Why would he worry? His coach is tied to him, and blatently refuses to change QBs. He is not pulling Vick, regardless. He isnt going to start a rookie when Reid is leaving at the end of this year.

Vick knows all this. Unless he gets hurt, Vick is the starting QB for the rest of 2012. Sucks for Eagles fans, but hey…we dont even have a proven backup really. I want Foles to start, but I want Santa Claus to be real too…

3. mlenenski says: Oct 23, 2012 8:58 AM

The decision to keep Vick the starter will come after the Falcons game.

If he sucks, Foles will get the next start.

If he wins….

4. tdk24 says: Oct 23, 2012 9:12 AM

Somewhere, McNabb is smiling.

5. vinceofdarkness says: Oct 23, 2012 9:46 AM

Vick, just shut up and play!! You guys certainly aren’t looking like a dynasty to me; you’ll be lucky to make the playoffs!

6. yousuxxors says: Oct 23, 2012 9:58 AM

how old wad mcnabb when he was traded…. i still dont understand the move. 5 nfc championship and one SB. noy like he was 40. today in the bfl you can play qb to 200.

7. schmitty2 says: Oct 23, 2012 9:58 AM

Maybe the Chargers can hook him up with some Stickum

8. emfsocial78 says: Oct 23, 2012 10:05 AM

If Philly loses and their 3-4, you really expect them to go to a rookie to save their season? Remember they are trying to have a long playoff run, not find their QB of the future. If they had a vet like VY last year or Jason Campbell then that’s different. But this article is dead wrong. Vick will be the starter until Philly is near out of it. Now I could see Vick being pulled out a game but that’s different than going with a rookie starter.

Remember even with how great all the rookies are playing only one of them is even over 500%. This year Philly will sink or swim with Vick.

9. phillyhouse222 says: Oct 23, 2012 10:12 AM

First, let me say Vick has not played well this season. I have been a Vick fan since his days at Va Tech. Watching him in 2010 was about as much fun as I’ve had since being an Eagles fan. But in this “what have you done for me lately” world, he’s not getting it done.

With that being said, I think benching Vick is not a solution. Vick has turned the ball over only one more time than Philip Rivers. Do you hear people wanting to bench Rivers for Charlie Whitehurst? Nope. That would be just as ludicrous as having a rookie (Nick Foles) replace Vick. I’d argue that Vick has played better than Rivers (although I’d concede Vick has better skill players).

I don’t see much of a difference between Vick and guys like Romo, Rivers and Flacco. All those QB can give you moments of brilliance, and moments of terribleness. Hopefully, Vick can get it together.

10. tigrrrr says: Oct 23, 2012 11:14 AM

Vick is the worst qb, and singlehandedly is bringing the organization to its knees!
    Eagles, dump him and move on!!!

11. joetoronto says: Oct 23, 2012 11:31 AM

Well WTF was your approach BEFORE now, Vick?

Seriously, this guy is as dumb as it gets.

12. raidernation210 says: Oct 23, 2012 12:25 PM

tdk24 says:
    Oct 23, 2012 9:12 AM

Somewhere, McNabb is smiling.

————————————————–

Smiling about what? The eagles knew his career was finished why else would they trade him to the deadskins? So I don’t really understand what you mean when you say somewhere he is smiling. He is smiling alright, for the camera because he will never play football again. And will always be remembered as a choker….

13. CKL says: Oct 23, 2012 1:22 PM

phillyhouse222 says:
    Oct 23, 2012 10:12 AM

_________________________________
    I agree their careers have some similarities consistency wise, but all of those guys are younger than Vick and theoretically can still get better. And even though they are all younger, they all (except Romo) have QB ed more playoff wins as well. Vick has played a single good game in the playoffs (vs the 8-8 Rams, 8 years ago). None of them have garnered two large contracts either. What’s that saying, to whom much is given, much is expected? Yeah, that.

14. eaglesfan29 says: Oct 23, 2012 1:25 PM

Anyone that think change foles for vick is just dumb. Foles will get killed back there a standing statue. We all saw what happen to kolb and he still hurting now lol. Vick is the man for the job and yeah he may have 13 turnovers but he also have put them in a position to win all but one game. IF defense stop the lions and pitt, we are 5-1 it is not all on his shoulder that we are 3-3. I wish reid would put him in so when he get killed you dummys want have nothing to say. Im riding when Vick all day