Courtney Upshaw lighter on field, heavier in wallet

Courtney Upshaw,  Ryan Lilja AP

While it sounds like a prerequisite for being a professional athlete, Courtney Upshaw needed a little incentive to get in shape.

The Ravens rookie outside linebacker was drawing regular fines, until he got his weight under control. Now, he’s below his target weight of 270 pounds, but came to camp over 280, which led to his wallet being lighter.

“I didn’t even look at the fines,” Upshaw said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “I just knew they were taking my money. That started getting me down.”

He lost nearly $20,000 for being overweight, but has dieted and exercised his way back into good standing. He actually failed the pre-camp conditioning test before passing it on the second try.

“Of course, I came in heavy,” Upshaw said. “It was eating at night that was killing me.”

Upshaw hasn’t made a huge impact this season, with half a sack and a fumble recovery to go with 29 tackles.

“When I’m out there, I want to go through the game and I’m thinking, ‘I haven’t made a tackle yet,’ and I want to get an assist here and there,” Upshaw said. “It’s motivation for me.

“When I’m out there on the field, I’m not even thinking about that. I want to make plays. I’m not out there just to be out there.”

Now that there’s less of him out there, maybe he will do more.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Courtney Upshaw lighter on field, heavier in wallet”
  1. brownmud says: Oct 24, 2012 10:05 AM

Your one job during the offseason is to stay in shape and you can’t do it? Great work ethic, I bet Ray Lewis is excited to have you on board.

2. darthsaint says: Oct 24, 2012 10:11 AM

Dude was a beast at the college level. Strange to me how often high drafted LBs don’t so well in the NFL. I mean, just a couple years ago with Curry in Seattle. He was the “safest” top pick. Seattle gave up on him after two seasons.

Not saying Upshaw flops. But I would have assumed his game would have made a bigger splash. I’m perplexed why LBs don’t transition well. I assume some had such better D-linemen that they werent as good at shedding blocks as required in the NFL where rarely, you have D-Linemen that can occupy all 5 O-linemen.

Just my hunch…

3. ravenator says: Oct 24, 2012 10:12 AM

Actually courtney is coming on in recent games. Hell be a fine Raven for years to come

4. footballfan01 says: Oct 24, 2012 10:50 AM

Half a sack through 7 games. He’s on track to be the defensive MVP for the Ravens.

5. bla bla bla says: Oct 24, 2012 10:55 AM

@darthsaint

I agree. AJ Hawk was picked fifth overall by the Packers, and has hardy lived up to that draft position. He’s extremely serviceable, and seems to have gotten better with age and experience, but still…

6. jameswestphal says: Oct 24, 2012 10:55 AM

They weren’t taking your money you dope, you were giving it away.

7. kantnockdahustle89 says: Oct 24, 2012 10:58 AM

Upshaw is currently ranked as the best run stopping LB in the 3-4 defense according to Pro Football Focus. He is definitely finding his grove.

8. pierrepoint1 says: Oct 24, 2012 11:01 AM

6’2″ @ 270lbs? Can we say fat?

No wonder he’s not making an impact, he’s so over weight he can’t run around the field.

9. exibitsman says: Oct 24, 2012 12:10 PM

upshaw. ” I just knew they were taken my money”. what a joke these players are today.

10. bleed4philly says: Oct 24, 2012 1:51 PM

Hahaha!

11. randallflagg52 says: Oct 24, 2012 2:20 PM

Upshaw has been playing better recently. Being overweight has hindered his development so far this season, but I’ve noticed obvious improvment in his play. He’ll be fine.

12. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 24, 2012 6:20 PM

As Ravenator would say, he is pathetic and never will amount to anything. Team is overrated and will be lucky to be 8-8. LOL

13. randallflagg52 says: Oct 24, 2012 6:53 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:Oct 24, 2012 6:20 PM

==================================

Baltimore is 5-2 right now, and with 1 game against both Cincy and Cleveland and 2 vs pittsburgh thats another 4 wins. At the worst they finish 9-7.