Fan poll finds Ndamukong Suh is NFL’s least-liked player

Reuters

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said this week in response to the latest accusation that he’s a dirty player that he doesn’t care what people think. That’s good, because most people don’t think much of Suh.

In polling of NFL fans published by Forbes, Suh came in as the least-liked NFL player, with just 19 percent of fans saying they like him. That’s no surprise: Suh was already viewed by many as a dirty player even before the Thanksgiving stomping incident that cemented his reputation and got him suspended two games.

Interestingly, the player Suh pounded into the turf at Soldier Field on Monday night, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, came in No. 2 in the least-liked category. Only 21 percent of fans like Cutler. Other players on the Top 10 “least liked” list were Michael Vick (who is liked by 23 percent of fans), Randy Moss (24 percent), Matt Leinart (26 percent), Kyle Orton (27 percent), Tony Romo (27 percent), Santonio Holmes (28 percent) Mark Sanchez (31 percent) and Brady Quinn (31 percent).

The survey found that the most-liked player in the NFL is Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, who is liked by 63 percent of fans. Others on the Top 10 most-liked list include Drew Brees (62 percent), Charles Woodson (62 percent), Peyton Manning (59 percent), Aaron Rodgers (58 percent), Rob Gronkowski (58 percent), Robert Griffin III (57 percent), Brian Urlacher (57 percent), Donald Driver (57 percent) and Matthew Stafford (56 percent).

If you’re scoring at home, that means the Packers have three of the nine most-liked players in the NFL, and none of the least liked. On the other hand, with Orton and Romo on the least-liked list, the Cowboys’ quarterback meeting room has two of the seven least-liked players in the NFL.

105 responses to “Fan poll finds Ndamukong Suh is NFL’s least-liked player

1. This poll was obviously taken pre bounty scandal. No way Drew Brees scores that high now. And he will not get an explanation.

2. People should re-examine what went wrong in their lives if they spend too much time hating a backup QB.

3. Eli will never be among the most well liked because he’s so good even though he looks like he’s been wedgied 100 times in his life.

4. Most Hated player?? Who voted??? A bunch of ladies? The LFL??

He’s one of my favorite players!! He plays the game with a ferocity most players lack. ANY fan would love to have this guy on their team, They are just haters. Bottom line.

5. How is Gronk only liked by 58% of fans? I know he plays for the Patriots which a lot of people hate, but hating Gronk seems like hating an innocent puppy.

6. Apparently people don’t like liars (Suh) or people who exude a general disdain for the world (Cutler). Don’t get the Drew Brees one though he had an offseason worthy of tool academy.

7. Was surprised to see Kyle Orton on that list. With Cutler, Orton and Quinn all in the top 10, there must be a lot of people in Denver voting, and hating on their ex-QB’s

8. 3 of the top 10 least liked:

Jay Cutler – Plays in Chicago
    Kyle Orton – Used to play in Chicago
    Tony Romo – College at Eastern Illinois

Maybe people dislike Illinois?

9. And this is news why? I can’t believe you’re repeating an inane story like this. Nobody knows these players personally so how can the results be of any value except to Nike or Coke.

Many players over the years have been mean as snakes on the field and all the other players say he was a great guy off the field.

10. What did orton do to anybody? He was a 4th rounder (if i remember correctly) and won some games, lost games…not like he never lived up to expectations or something…

But he is a cowboy. Not sure how theyre “americas team” when everyone hates them.

11. How is Brady Quinn on the most hated list? Is it just because he went to Notre Dame and some people are jelous of the publicity the Irish get? Don’t know how you can hate a backup QB.

Also I’m very surprised Harrison and Roethlisberger wern’t on this list. Rumor has it even other steeler players can’t stand “Big” Ben.

12. Must not have polled anyone on this site, otherwise Rodgers and Woodson would have made it in the Top 10 least-liked. Or does it just seem that way because all of the bitter and jealous viking and bear fans have nothing better to do than to post their petty little comments on Packers articles?

13. This just in, NFL poll accidentally given to MLS fans….Mistake only figured out when several hundred letters were received at league office asking what a Ndamukong Suh was….

14. cereal blogger says: Oct 24, 2012 7:11 PM

Suh is one of my favorites & I’m not even a Lions fan….dude plays hard

____________________________________

Ya, a little toooo hard! This is a hitting game, that I understand, but Suh tarnished his rep by “the obvious” stomp the article indicated as well as the many personal fouls called against him. Back then he stated he wasn’t trying to be dirty, & “NOW” he doesn’t care what people think, hmmm??

15. In a time when the protection of a quarterback is overboard being the least liked player should be a reward for Suh.

Think about it, how would u feel if you are a defensive tackle this is the most liked, that means you are not doing your job. Suh is a throwback in the ideal where defensive lineman didn’t have to be concerned with the idea of if u hit someone to low its a flag.

16. Good. When is the last time the Lions had a defensive player people despised? Good defenses have a player or two that most don’t like. Now, if you’re an offensive player and on this list, then yeah, you have a crappy personality.

17. I understand the dislike for Cutler because he doesn’t brown nose the media and tell people what they want to hear… but…

Kyle Orton?

Come on. Do people not like the neck beard? Did Denver fans vote twice?

18. I used to like/respect a lot of the GB guys until they proclaimed that the only team who could beat GB was GB itself. Most of them are whiners and pitiful losers

How Drew Brees can be liked by anyone outside of NO is astounding, considering that he thinks were all stupid and will believe anything he says. Only a true frontrunning Saints fan can give that jerk any kind of love.

19. smstonerock says:Oct 24, 2012 7:37 PM

==================================

Detroit has a good defense?

20. Brady Quinn? Brady Quinn? JEEZ! I wonder what number he would rate if, for instance he had, oh I don’t know….BEATEN his mother for instance? Oh yeah, apparently he WOULDN’T have MADE the list!

21. I don’t care enough to find the actual list but I’ll throw some suspiciously absent names out there – Cortland Finnegan, DeAngelo Hall, LaRon Landry, Brady, Ray Lewis (A lot of people have not forgotten… where’s the suit, Ray Ray?), Richie Incognito

And shut up with the Brees stuff. Just… shut… up.

22. youallrfools says:
    Oct 24, 2012 7:16 PM
    Love to see the sample group. If I had to guess – midwestern white suburbanites… just saying.
    ———————————————————
    Yeah, it’s not like Cutler is white or from the Midwest or anything like that…

23. Gordon says: Oct 24, 2012 7:22 PM

So people like Cutler less than a guy who murdered a bunch of dogs?

Yeah, cause, you know? Dog murderer news was sooo yesterday. We’re worried about dude’s facial expressions now.

Oh, and he couldn’t finish the NFC Championship game, but he could climb stairs. TMZ.com>NFL

This whole thread reads like pro bowl voting.

24. *sigh* Can anyone tell me where i can SIGN up to be the MOST HATED player, because my BANK ACCOUNT can sure use the many zero that is millions these kats have ,Also access to the countless pretty women .

i will go out on a limb and say none of these guys go to bed losing sleep over this label.

25. Suh does play hard but his douchness is only elevated by his off the field crap. He is a dirt bag. No matter how hard he plays. Surprised about Brees being second. No surprise Troy is the top. VERY surprised Finnigan is not on that list.

26. Suh became ny favorite player with the Cutler Crunch hit.

I am hoping to see Cutler Crunch cereal featuring a close-up photo of the whining, sniveling, snot nosed brat at the moment he hit the turf on the box on store shelves soon.

27. Leinhart, Orton, and Quinn? I thought this was a list of most disliked not most irrelevant. Where are Ray Lewis, Dez Bryant, and Pacman Jones? I am glad Vick is on the least liked list, and I am an Eagles fan (although that helps to explain why I hate him).

28. I knew Quinn and Leinart weren’t fan favorites, although I’m surprised to see them on the list.

USC and ND pretty polarizing. Huge fanbases, but hated by almost just as many. I’m an ND football fan, and I hate USC.

29. bearsfan4life says: Oct 24, 2012 7:42 PM

Kyle Orton?

Come on. Do people not like the neck beard? Did Denver fans vote twice?

Funny. The majority of the voters probably came from the folks who started that whole neck beard thing. Lots of respect goes to THAT as an NFL source.

I highly doubt that the individuals who read Forbes as a leisurely activity would even partake in something like this. If they did? We have a lot bigger problems.

Sorry for posting more than 140 characters and my poor attempt at grammar.

30. Ndamakong Suh is such an idiot. All of you that are saying that you like the way he plays”through” the whistle better realize that this fruitcake will end up forcing Goddells hand to further regulate and fine defensive play put of the Gabe entirely. Then every team will be like the Lions.

I LOVE defense. Just watch a few Bears games to see how its supposed to be done.

31. This list is 90% trends anyways. Green Bay is the cool team to like nowadays. Suh has been all over the news with his scummy antics. RG3, Brees, etc are all over TV. People are not as much independant thinkers as they would like to believe. Our oppinions on pop culture are governed by what we outsiders are exposed to. Yes the NFL is pop culture. Pretty soon the NFL Network will have 1 hour of football related news and 22 hours of “Real World NFL edition”. Then of course, an hour of NFL Bloopers from the 70’s. Bank on it. Might actually be better. They only run a 2 hour show on loop all day now. Some replay games with the bad game managment by the refs editted out are thrown in.

32. From the Forbes article:

“Nielsen recently collaborated on a survey with E-Poll Market Research aimed at finding out which NFL players resonated with fans as appealing, and which didn’t. Players’ appeal numbers were scored based on the percentage of those whose response was to ‘like’ the player or ‘like him a lot.’ ”

So then, nobody who was polled actually ‘disliked’ anyone…Everyone on the list was either ‘liked’ or ‘liked a lot.’

This explains why guys like Big Ben or Finnegan weren’t mentioned at all. And this means guys with a lower ‘like’ % are still more popular than guys who didn’t get named, so Suh and Cutler are not really the two least-liked players.

33. I’m a Redskins fan and I love Suh. He is great for the game. He’s an excellent bad guy. Its nice to see a heel who actually has talent as opposed to guys like Laron Landry who want to be like Suh but don’t have the talent to back it up. Suh’s a guy everybody should love to hate because he’s a beast and he’s entertaining. I agree with the Romo v RG3 rankings though.

34. Tony Romo is that disliked? I don’t follow Dallas, but he seems straight up.

What I would give for his golf swing.

35. I know this is a little off topic but watching Gerald Mccoy play this year, he might turn out to be the better football player.

36. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 24, 2012 8:26 PM

“I don’t think Cutler is even that well liked in Chicago.”

Yeah, that’s why Bears fans gave him a standing ovation Monday night…You and bitter Denver fans really should hate less…You’ll be happier, and so will your loved ones.

37. First off the damn media just seems to be so obsessed with the Packers in the first place. I would rather hear about the Raiders than the love the media has for the Pack. As for Suh, as long as he beats up Rodgers, keep on trucking man.

38. Orton? What. Who the hell voted in this poll. I love the perpetuation of the Jay Cutler unlikeable story. I’m guessing most who voted were not reasonable fans who know that like able matters not when your qb can not win regularly. I like Orton, but prefer cutler as my teams qb. I dislike Rodgers as an actor and person, but would take him as my qb.

39. daaabears says: Oct 24, 2012 8:55 PM

“Who voted? I don’t remember ever seeing a chance to vote.”

Me either…I’ll bet if more Bears fans read Forbes, not only would Jay have scored higher, but he and Urlacher wouldn’t be the only ‘liked’ Bears.

40. Suh (Lions) Cutler (Bears) least liked and 3 Packers most liked…..all NFC Central….sounds to me like this “poll” was only open to the redneck packer fans/State of Wisconi, LOL

41. juanhughjazz says:
    Oct 24, 2012 7:29 PM

and 100% of people would love to have him on their team.
    ————————————————

This kind of “comeback” always makes me LMAO. It pretty much goes hand in hand with the “You just hate _____ because you’re jealous of him/her.”

I hate to say it, but this is the defense people use about themselves or someone they want to defend when they *know* they or the person they’re defending is wrong or is otherwise deserving of the hate/criticism. It’s their embarrassed attempt to justify not being liked. It’s also pretty sad.

The team I root for has a pretty damn good defense. Terrible *offense*, but decent defense. We don’t need Suh. Whether you accept it or not, it is God’s honest TRUTH that, NO, I would NOT want an idiot like Suh on my team. Trust me, he doesn’t make that much of a difference that everyone is clamoring for him. No one’s even talking about him this year (other than polls about how much he’s hated, anyway). I actually REALLY like the fact that my team doesn’t currently have any total jerks (I want to use a much stronger word, of course) on it. Who the hell wants to root for someone because they’re good at football, but seems like a total LOSER of a person who can’t follow rules and purposely tries to end QBs careers (and then whines and cries about it to the media)?

I know it makes YOU feel better to insist to yourself that everyone would want Suh on their team, but the reality is that the only people who want that are probably people who are just like Suh, psychologically— and who cares what idiots and psychos think?

42. Why such hate for The Neckbeard (Orton)? Seems kind of random that he’d be on the list. What the heck has he ever done to tick people off?

43. I like him just fine. Love his attitude. I wish he played on my team, a total throwback to the 70’s and 80’s game I grew up with. The so-called “men” of today are just domesticated house cats, as evidenced by their delicate sensibilities in this case.

44. bathroomben7 says:
    Oct 24, 2012 7:09 PM
    ____

Here’s lookin at you kid. 😉

45. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 24, 2012 10:37 PM

“Actually it was taken well after the bounty scandal. This just proves that the majority of normal society isn’t a bunch of blog post obsessed recluses looking to hate on anything that’s posted about anyone other than the home team.”

Hey, it’s either this, or Words With Friends on Facebook…(-;

46. While it’s not surprising to see Cutler as the second most disliked player, but it’s funny cause I think he’s probably a lot like us. Sarcastic, dry sense of humor, hates the media, and a bit of a jerk sometimes. The thing is he donates a lot of time and money to charitable organizations, but doesn’t expect to receive recognition in return. That tells me he’s a decent human being.

47. Suh is a lowlife like Deangelo Hall. It is beyond time to clean the league of these scumbags.

If football continues down this current path I will vote with my money and time elsewhere.

48. the media has tried everyday to make Cutler a bad guy But they cant go as far as they would like too
    because Cutler is a WINNER. out of his last 11 starts he won 10 games. so they mostly talk about what happens on the sidelines an leave the real story as a foot note….. THE SCORE BOARD. now his stats will get better because he has Marshall…sooner than later the media will have to say something nice about Cutler But will he be standing at the Microphone or will they have to say it to his back when he walk away

49. I dont really care that hes the least liked..if anything it fuels him more because we all know hes a hothead anyway and the poor guy that faces him every sunday (or guys) know that they have they’re hands full every sunday..and hes the best dt on the lions since when? shaun rogers?Keep bringing it suh!

Oh yea for all you young bucks, playing inside the trenches it is supposed to be dirty and reckless..look up your own team there might be a player or 2 that played just like him back in the day.

50. denverdude7 says:
    Oct 24, 2012 8:16 PM
    Suh became ny favorite player with the Cutler Crunch hit.

—————————————————

And now you see where the Cutler hate comes from…..jealous Denver fans. How do those sour grapes taste?

51. Although Cutler is a very sour faced player he’s tough and good. Suh is a punk on and off the field, plus this explains why I don’t like Subway subs. Oops now I’ll never see this comment published, I’m sure NBC has some “exclusive” deal with them, I Love JimmyJohns, and I see their commercials on NBC stations also. Weird, who do they like more? I’ll forward this to both companies and let NBC answer them.

52. Wow big surprise here on Suh leading the list! What I can’t understand is how did Brady Quinn get on the list at all? Was 1 out of 3 polled a Browns fan?

53. Hey great for Nielsen for figuring out a way to fool morons into giving them money for “research.”

54. You kids are so cute.

If it was mainly WI people voting, the Packers would have dominated the top 10, filling all the spots.

The fact is: Just because you’re all jealous of the Packers, it doesn’t mean that they’re the most loved team in NFL football, by normal people.

55. I don’t like Drew Brees.

I used to before his mouthing off about the labor negotiations and his always “needing an explanation”.

and I don’t like Vick or Ray Lewis either.

I don’t like Ray Lewis b/c he thinks he is better than HoFs Jack Lambert, Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus, Chuck Bednarik, Mike Singletary, and Sam Huff.
    13 Pro Bowls – really? The Pro Bowl doesn’t matter to anyone.
    10 time All-Pro? This is a media-driven honor and therefore is not worthy of my respect.
    Ray Lewis the maybe the 7th or 8th best ever and that’s it.

56. I used to dislike Leinart because, you know, USC.

But he won me over during his time with the Texans. He was humble and hard-working, and I was really disappointed for him when he finally got his shot after Schaub went down and then got hurt right away.

Call me crazy, but I think he could have taken the Texans to the Super Bowl last year.

57. what the hell? what does kyle orton have to do with anything? who ‘hates’ kyle orton???? for what??????

here is my list of most hated:

1) suh
    2) rex ryan
    3) santonio
    4) DeAngelo
    5) stafford
    6) tebow
    7) leron landry
    8) bal D
    9) entire lions team
    10) entire jets team (not a single likeable player or coach)

now there is some hate people can get behind

58. jbaxt says:
    Oct 24, 2012 7:25 PM
    Eric Winston’s the #1 loser in my book.

===================================
    jbaxt is the number 1 loser in my book.