Greg Jennings seeing a specialist about groin injury

Greg Jennings, T.J. Lang AP

Greg Jennings wants to get right before he comes back. And having missed the last three games with a persistent groin injury, he’s looking for answers.

According to Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com, the Packers wide receiver left  town to visit a specialist for another opinion on the injury, even as several teammates indicated he was close to a return.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said if Jennings was going to play this week, they’d try to test him Thursday before getting a good day of practice in Friday.

“The plan with Greg just from Day 1 was to try to get as far into the week because with his type of injury, the fatigue, going through the testing and him maxing it out,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. “The fatigue part of it we felt sending him out for a bunch of practice was probably not in his best interest for the week he comes back.”

The Packers have two more games before their bye week.

Jennings has just 12 catches for 78 yards and a touchdown this season, and hasn’t played since Sept. 30.

Jennings might want to come back to help create a market for himself, because the Packers have found a new threat in Randall Cobb, who has 15 catches for 191 yards and two touchdowns the past two games. Jordy Nelson has also remained productive, as the Packers offense has hit its stride.

“I think we’ve found a rhythm as an offense,” Nelson said. “I don’t think it really is necessarily with or without [Jennings] because when he was playing we were struggling. [At] Seattle, we struggled. So I think as an offense we’re getting into a little bit of a rhythm. There’s still much we can do, still areas we can improve.”

Getting the guy who used to be considered their best receiver would likely help, although they’re getting along fairly well without him.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Greg Jennings seeing a specialist about groin injury”
  1. northshorejag says: Oct 24, 2012 9:10 AM

I wish i could take it as a compliment the Pack needs Jennings to defeat the Jennings led Jags

2. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 24, 2012 9:12 AM

They didn’t say where he went, but its quite obvious that its Minnesota, where many of the men specialize in other men’s groins.

3. noeffinway says: Oct 24, 2012 9:30 AM

I’m sure Rodgers took a peek at it already…what did he think? Was he able to put a finger on it?

4. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 24, 2012 9:30 AM

I believe he’s seeing specialist Dr. Lisa Ann.

5. tannethrill says: Oct 24, 2012 10:05 AM

Ummm, how long before it’s suggested he’s more concerned with getting healthy for F.A.? Seems to me like he’s trying to get a point across here and that point is pay me, trade me or watch me rehab in preparation of my next contract.

6. purpleguy says: Oct 24, 2012 10:43 AM

Jennings probably needs surgery. It’s interesting and more than a little telling that this tokyo Pack fan poster is so interested in Minnesota groins.

7. atthemurph says: Oct 24, 2012 11:28 AM

tannethrill says:
    —————————————————————-

Who is going to trade for a WR whose deal is up after this season?

Who is going to drop big money on a WR who played 2 games the prior season and missed most of the end of the season before that due to injury?

If Jennings is a smart man (and I think he is) his best bet for gaining a large contract from GB or any other team is to play and play well this season. Otherwise there are going to be too many question marks surrounding his health for any team to commit to a big or long contract, including Green Bay.

Jennings wants to get paid and should get paid if he is healthy and performs. If he isn’t it is going to cost him and it should. Contracts are based on many things and one of those is a players expected availability. If a guy cannot stay healthy he isn’t going to get paid like someone who can.

8. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 24, 2012 11:29 AM

purpleguy says:
    Oct 24, 2012 10:43 AM

Haven’t mentioned them once, actually.

Perhaps you should learn to read. Finish high school, buck the Minnesota trend.

9. nickster31 says: Oct 24, 2012 11:33 AM

How does a young person in medical school decide, “I want to specialize in groins”?

Just curious.

10. jasonculhane says: Oct 24, 2012 11:35 AM

I think, he thinks he’s ready to play and the packers wanted him to seek a second opinion. Last time he thought he could play he barely got through a game and slowed the offense down. Thats what it looks like to me anyway

11. chi01town says: Oct 24, 2012 2:10 PM

Jennings dont want to play for greenbay… the man knows the packers will let him go after this season. they dont wanna pay so hes making excuses not to play. Rodgers is the only one greenbay has plans to pay

12. tannethrill says: Oct 24, 2012 5:47 PM

atthemurph…

Actually trading for a player with an expiring contract is normal. At this point in the season I would imagine that if he and the Pack are on the same page then their concern is also getting him to pass a physical.

What he wants to get paid and what he will get paid are two very different things.

The Packers problem will be Bowe in the same situation and if KC is motivated to move him then the going rate for a rental will go down.

Depends on if GB sees more value in using him or getting anything for him. Problem with using him is Jennings doesn’t seem to keen on risking his body without further compensation. Point is that if he was in the middle of a contract that I think he would have played a lot more up to this point without fear of financial issuing going forward.