Jerry Jones not sounding quite as confident after losing Lee

Jerry Jones AP

When the Cowboys were 2-3 and looking sloppy, Jerry Jones declared his team ready to win a championship this year.

Now that they’re heading into a game with the defending champions, after losing linebacker Sean Lee for the season and running back DeMarco Murray still on the shelf, Jones sounded a bit more reserved.

“Against this team, by many and arguably the best team in the NFL, we wanted all hands on deck,” Jones said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It is disappointing not to have two players of that caliber.  I’ve said all along I think this team has an opportunity to be a contender but the one exception that I made was, . . . sitting as we’re sitting right now health wise, injury can make a difference and does in the NFL.

“It’s been my experience when you do have a situation like this, others will step up. Others on the field at different positions will compensate.”

The Cowboys are still talented enough to contend, but after losing Lee for the season, Jones doesn’t have quite the same bluster, and rightfully so.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Jerry Jones not sounding quite as confident after losing Lee”
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Oct 24, 2012 6:15 PM

hate the cowboys but i feel bad for them with this injury. Lee is a great player

2. originalsteelcurtain says: Oct 24, 2012 6:29 PM

Most teams have the Head Coach address the media, because the HC is hired to take charge of the team.

In Dallas, owner JJ never met a microphone he didn’t like.

I wonder if the Boys will give full-effort now that JJ has pronounced his team at less than full strength.

3. rezdawg says: Oct 24, 2012 6:38 PM

This separates the winners from the losers. Sorry Cowgirl fans.

4. jimnaizeeum says: Oct 24, 2012 6:46 PM

Lee out for the season with a toe injury…WWRLD (what would Ronnie Lot do).

5. mattolikesthevikes says: Oct 24, 2012 7:25 PM

This is a sad looking glory hole.

6. smoothrobinva says: Oct 24, 2012 7:27 PM

Yes lee is out for the season but we have capable backups. The confidence thing is more about the fact that he lost his mother and not his team

7. hawkforlife says: Oct 24, 2012 7:44 PM

“The Cowboys are still talented enough to contend”

I wish I could understand how all the so called experts keep saying that and yet they can’t even make the playoffs let alone win a super bowl. Do you think maybe they just aren’t that talented?

8. geniusfan says: Oct 24, 2012 8:02 PM

“The Ravens lose Lewis and you hear no mention of any excuse. The Texans lose Brian Cushing and they still say they’re winning the Superbowl.

This separates the winners from the losers. Sorry Cowgirl fans.”

Well the Ravens are going to be losers by the end of the season. They needed the refs to beat the Patriots and got really lucky against the Cowboys. They can’t stop the run or the pass on defense and Flacco is average. Oh and Sean Lee is 10 times the player Ray Lewis is now. Cushing however is his equal. The Texans unlike the Ravens are going somewhere this season.

9. reddcowboys says: Oct 24, 2012 8:03 PM

Who’s Ronnie Lot? I know who Ronnie Lott is. Super big blow to lose Lee. Hopefully Conner will take up the slack. Not so impressed with Felix Jones as I am with our other 2 backups.

10. baloneyjohn says: Oct 24, 2012 8:12 PM

Jerry Jones, is the biggest problem.
    Go sit in your stadium box and let the football people run your team. You are clueless and a bag of wind.

11. itsnotforme says: Oct 24, 2012 8:14 PM

Jerry;
    Do your team a great big favor and shut your mouth.

12. hor2012 says: Oct 24, 2012 8:22 PM

I’m a big time football fan. But, for the life of me sometimes reporters say some of the dummest things. The man’s mother just died. I remember when my mother died you could have asked me my name and I wouldn’t sound confident

13. dd393 says: Oct 24, 2012 8:23 PM

Jerry Jones is the Donald Trump of the NFL.

14. orakpocalypse says: Oct 24, 2012 9:02 PM

Jason Garret is basically Jurry’s prison btch. I love what’s happening in Dallas so much. Karma never worked so good.

15. timebandit24 says: Oct 24, 2012 9:08 PM

This guy does need to shut his mouth, but seriously people…the media pushes his buttons by putting a mic in his face every five minutes. I mean, I dont want to be perceived as defending him because he does need to shut up…but what good owner or non jacksonville, cleveland owner doesn’t feel like his team should be playing for championships. why the heck play. Here is an idea, why dont you (speaking to you and your partners in the gantt) stop feeding the monster with questions and mics.

16. olemiss79 says: Oct 24, 2012 9:18 PM

These cowboys fans suck

17. olemiss79 says: Oct 24, 2012 9:20 PM

And suck!!

18. gammynomnom says: Oct 24, 2012 9:33 PM

Why can’t Jerry get injured and have to miss a season?

19. selldannysell says: Oct 24, 2012 9:33 PM

But, at least they just opened that new Victoria’s Secret inside the stadium!

20. bkostela says: Oct 24, 2012 9:45 PM

as if every other team in the nfl is fully healthy

21. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 25, 2012 2:09 PM

I pretty much don’t dig the Cowboys, but they do deserve some credit for bringing Dan Connor from Carolina. Connor can play, and is no slouch.

Carter is also on the brink of being a splash player.

22. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 25, 2012 9:12 PM

Tough injuries for sure but it’s midseason in the NFL and every team has injuries to play through. It’s just part of it. Next man up and play.

23. nycowpokebehype says: Oct 26, 2012 4:42 PM

Jerry Jones has done more as an Owner, President & Gen. Manager than any other team in the HISTORY of the NFL and in the short period of time he’s owned the COWBOYS. He may be boisterous and very media-friendly but you can’t deny his success. I do believe that he doesn’t necessarily need to be the Gen. Manager but he has earned his place as a great FOOTBALL owner and former player. BaloneyJohn is just that… Full of baloney.