Kevin Kolb: I wanted to play through injuries, but I couldn’t

Buffalo Bills v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb knows from personal experience that sometimes when you miss playing time because of an injury, your job is gone by the time you’re ready to play again. So Kolb says that he resolved this year not to let any injury keep him off the field.

And then he suffered a rib injury and found out that he simply couldn’t play through it.

“I told myself at the beginning of the year, that if I get another shot I’m not coming out of the game,” Kolb told the Arizona Republic. “I was going to play through whatever it takes to stay on the field. That’s what this league is all about. True professionals have to be able to do that. Unfortunately, I was dealt a blow that I can’t necessarily play through.”

Kolb says he’s not sure when he’ll be able to get back on the field, but he does expect to be back at some point this season.

“I can’t say for sure,” Kolb said. “It’s never even crossed my mind that I won’t be back at some point this season.”

Unfortunately for Kolb, as he has learned in the past, getting healthy might not be enough: If John Skelton plays well, Kolb might not play again at any point this season.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Kevin Kolb: I wanted to play through injuries, but I couldn’t”
  1. Kreedos says: Oct 24, 2012 10:42 AM

Neither are viable options for next years squad. Starting to doubt the head coach as well.

#Birdgang

2. gobirds215 says: Oct 24, 2012 10:45 AM

there’s way too many unneeded kevin kolb articles this year. oh, i meant unwanted.

3. 4t9er says: Oct 24, 2012 10:56 AM

He is a tough QB despite what some players say, nobody can survive behind that terrible OL. The Cardinals where 4-0 when he was playing and now they are 4-3, Tom Brady would die behind that OL.

4. joetoronto says: Oct 24, 2012 11:17 AM

He should have got out there and he knows it, time to toughen up.

5. westclaims says: Oct 24, 2012 11:22 AM

I agree with Kreedos, neither is a good option next year. I like some of what Kolb has done lately, but he just can’t stay on the field. Too injury prone.

I think Skelton may still improve with some more time, probably best as a # 2 for another year or so.

Lindley is far too raw to judge yet.

They need to get a QB this off season, plain and simple. And, DRAFT SOME O LINE!

6. therealjr says: Oct 24, 2012 12:21 PM

If John Skelton plays well? How often has that happened?

7. beardinals says: Oct 24, 2012 12:45 PM

Kolb has shown he can do some things well WITH SOME PROTECTION!

Skelton has show he has STILL not mastered the art of reading defenses and accuracy.

Behind this O line, no QB will be successful.

8. phx1311 says: Oct 24, 2012 1:04 PM

I have a new respect for Kolb and he should be the starting qb when his ribs heal.

9. kurly00 says: Oct 24, 2012 3:13 PM

So far Kevin is in good shape.

A rib seperated from your rib cage….how long does that take to heal? Let Skelton take the beating until your well and with time maybe the o-line will improve.

10. ancientcougar says: Oct 28, 2012 11:13 AM

I was amazed how accurate Kolb was when he had an extra second to deliver the ball and how fast he was when he ran. It’s tough for anyone to succeed when you are behind an invisible O’ Line.