Ravens have opened contract extension talks with Oher

AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots Getty Images

The Ravens have approached left tackle Michael Oher about a contract extension, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.

No deal appears imminent, but general manager Ozzie Newsome confirmed he’s talked to agent Jimmy Sexton, calling them “preliminary discussions.”

Oher’s under contract through 2013, the final year of his rookie contract.

Since he was drafted 23rd overall in 2009, he’s started 55 games (in addition to six playoff games), and has shifted well back to left tackle this season.

“I love it here,” Oher said. “It’s a great organization, great city. I would love to finish out here. That’s up to the organization. Without a doubt my ears are open.”

They’d probably rather keep him on the right, but Bryant McKinnie’s is-he-or-isn’t-he status made shifting back to the left the better option this year.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Ravens have opened contract extension talks with Oher”
  1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 24, 2012 1:22 PM

This guy is the opposite of Bryant McKinnie. Any team would love to have him, so I hope he gets paid well.

2. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 24, 2012 1:23 PM

By the way, his sister is hot.

3. tsuscrumhalf says: Oct 24, 2012 1:30 PM

And 3 AFC North defensive coordinators cheered…..

4. deathonwings410 says: Oct 24, 2012 1:35 PM

Don’t know how I feel about this…

5. redlobster1984 says: Oct 24, 2012 1:46 PM

While he is not a top tier LT, he has shown enough between having to flip flop between LT, to RT, back to LT back to RT and back to LT again that he is valuable and should get a reasonable contract

6. randallflagg52 says: Oct 24, 2012 2:08 PM

Well other than Thomas and Whitworth, he is the best tackle in the division.

They need to find a legit left tackle though. Oher is solid on the left but his strength is run blocking. Having him on the right next to Yanda would give the Ravens one of the very best right sides of an offensive line.

7. edisbetterthantroy says: Oct 24, 2012 4:42 PM

Great story, good movie, over-rated player.

I’m a HUGE Ravens fan, but he’s definitely not worth what many teams will pay for him. He’s going to want big time LT money and he’s only excelled at RT. Joe has been getting drilled for five years now. He also gets a lot of flags thrown in his direction.

Come on Ozzie…Pratice what you’ve always preached…Right player, right price….

8. birdsofbmore says: Oct 24, 2012 5:33 PM

If he got paid for every false start he’d get a huge contract.

9. johngavin says: Oct 24, 2012 6:37 PM

He won’t get that “LT” money. Because he and the team both know that priority #1 in the offseason is getting a “real” left tackle. Oher was amazing for a rookie in his rookie year. Since then he has been mediocre and a better fit on the right side even though he is undersized.

But randallflagg52 (nice handle) has it just right. Oher and Yanda make a great right side for Baby Ray. I’m still perplexed that the Ravens paid Yanda over Grubbs though.

10. randallflagg52 says: Oct 24, 2012 7:01 PM

johngavin says:Oct 24, 2012 6:37 PM

==================================

I think Yanda over Grubbs was the right move. Both were similar in skill, but I’ve noticed Grubbs makes a lot of mental errors in games (That game vs. Atlanta a few years ago comes to mind. A few times Grubbs allowed rushers to run free for sacks).

Yanda also has that “Raven spirit/attitude” that guys like Lewis, Suggs, and Pollard have. The fact that he was willing to sign for less than he would have got elsewhere (then restructure to help sign Leach) shows team spirit and dedication. Grubbs did not have that, instead chosing to chase the money.

11. johngavin says: Oct 24, 2012 9:46 PM

randallflagg52,

Everything you said was valid. But… you had to notice the difference in the line last year when Grubbs was in at LG. It was night and day. Being as I have, well, I thought I had a franchise QB I would want to make that left side as strong as possible. I can also see the argument that having Baby Ray means beefing up the right side. I wish that was the case. I thought signing Yanda was an indication the team was dedicated to the run. But here we are in 2012 and the Ravens are forcefeeding the ball through Joey Flacco. Since that (unfortunately) seems to be the plan I’da kept Grubbs.

You are, however, spot on on the “Raven spirit/attitude” thing and him being a team guy.

12. godzilla111111 says: Oct 26, 2012 10:52 AM

birdsofbmore says: Oct 24, 2012 5:33 PM

If he got paid for every false start he’d get a huge contract.
    —————————————–
    You are so right.

13. dontstabmeray says: Oct 26, 2012 12:51 PM

This is great news for the AFC North. Hopfully they can lock up Flacco for the next 10 years so the Ravens can continue underachieving.