Asante Samuel tells Eagles fans: You better cheer for me

Cleveland Browns v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

After playing the last four seasons in Philadelphia with the Eagles, Asante Samuel will make his return to Philadelphia with the Falcons on Sunday. And he says he’ll be stunned if Philly fans don’t give him a warm welcome.

In an odd scene in the Falcons’ locker room on Thursday, with Samuel holding court for reporters while wearing his helmet, Samuel said, “I’ve got a lot of personality issues” and ranted about his feelings for Philadelphia.

“They better cheer for me,” Samuel said. “They’re going to cheer for me or we’re going to have a problem right there in Lincoln Financial Stadium. All y’all fans, all I did for y’all, y’all better cheer for me.”

Samuel, who was traded to the Falcons prior to the season, acknowledged that getting traded makes him more motivated to face the Eagles.

“It’s not any game, I’m going back home,” Samuel said. “It’ll be exciting. They’ll be happy to see me. Everybody gonna cheer for me.”

Eagles fans aren’t exactly known for cheering everybody, so Samuel may be surprised by his reception on Sunday.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Asante Samuel tells Eagles fans: You better cheer for me”
  1. benh999 says: Oct 26, 2012 6:51 AM

If he’s playing for Atlanta the way he was playing for Philly, they probably will.

2. bathroombenlovemachine says: Oct 26, 2012 6:53 AM

Asante Samuel will suffer a season ending ankle injury after a crack back block.
    Eagles 57
    Falcons 0

Eagles will win Super Bowl 47 abd Michael Vick will be Super Bowl MVP

Bet on it BEYOTCHES

WU TANG

3. phillyphan72 says: Oct 26, 2012 6:54 AM

A comment like that will guarantee more boos than cheers bud

4. gallaghedj311 says: Oct 26, 2012 6:54 AM

They’ll be cheering alright. Cheering that Andy Reid is 14-0 after the bye week. Quit yapping Asante. We don’t miss u

5. sjoyner59 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:01 AM

I thank him for he did here in Philly but we never cheer any opposing team player unless its maybe Brian Dawkins or Reggie White,Philly will always loved those 2 players

6. blmonroe12 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:02 AM

Philly fan boos and throws snowballs at Santa Claus. I don’t think this thing is going to go his way. He better just start hoping it doesn’t snow.

7. djm426 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:04 AM

Eagles are not a relevant team so who cares

8. bobbyhoying says: Oct 26, 2012 7:06 AM

Samuel just has a really great sense of humor. He knows exactly what his reception will be like. The fans in Philly are are being played.

9. succulentnipples says: Oct 26, 2012 7:07 AM

That’s great, an interview in the locker room with his helmet on. Maybe he should wear a helmet all of the time.

10. giants56 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:11 AM

Of course they will cheer for you, especially after winning that elusive Super Bowl Championship! HA!

11. bosspower says: Oct 26, 2012 7:13 AM

As a Giant fan I would like nothing more than…….for the Eagles to expose the Overrated Atlanta Falcons. Help us out Eagles cuz we’ll be definitely be helping U guys out by Demoralizing the Cowboys at home, and I do think U have them coming up on ur schedule, just like ATL is upcoming on ours. We’ll finish our business week 17.

12. sjoyner59 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:18 AM

@bobyhoying you are 100% correct,he played here so he knows for sure…

13. haterswelcomed says: Oct 26, 2012 7:18 AM

Only time he tackles is if the player isnt looking. Other wise he just falls towards their feet and hopes for the best

14. mancave001 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:20 AM

Never liked Samuel. Too many risks, thin-skinned, etc. He was never all that popular here, so I doubt Sunday will go well.

15. jpb12 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:20 AM

He’s have a better chance of getting cheered if he dressed up as Santa’s elf.

16. wolfmanpatriot says: Oct 26, 2012 7:23 AM

With that freaky storm about to hit the Eastern seaboard, it just MAY snow, Monroe.

Maybe this is why he is practicing doing interviews with his helmet on, eh, nips?

17. mikejd12 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:53 AM

Cheered for Mcnabb. Asante was a beast for us. I’d give him golf clap.

18. eaglesw00t says: Oct 26, 2012 8:01 AM

There wont be anyone in Philadelphia happy to see you, except that we know you always get smoked with the double move. I expect to see Desean Jackson run right by you, like so many receivers did when you played for the Eagles.

He was barely liked as a player in Philadelphia. He is either hit or miss. Interception, or beaten bad. I would rather have a guy with 2 ints that will stick like glue and not let the QB throw to that receiver.

So while I thank you for the int’s you got while you were here, I dont miss you in the least Asante. Im glad youre gone, just so I dont see so many imbeciles calling you “Samuels” on our boards.

19. ndizzl says: Oct 26, 2012 8:05 AM

Good player for Eagles but you were no Bdawk Asant. DRC is better anyway.

20. Grulks says: Oct 26, 2012 9:34 AM

Asante is an idiot. Oh so you want your ex team, who didn’t even draft you, whom you didn’t even take to a super bowl, to cheer for you? Please try to be a little more narcissistic, you’re not quite a TO’s level.

21. dcbassguy says: Oct 26, 2012 10:32 AM

The trainers in ATL better check Asante for a concussion……. There is no way he’s getting cheered in Philly.

22. kevinfromphilly says: Oct 26, 2012 11:19 AM

I don’t know why he’d think we’d cheer him when he comes back. We almost never cheered him when he was here.

23. 8to80texansblog says: Oct 26, 2012 11:24 AM

First off, they boo Santa Claus and injured players in Philly. Secondly, you’re not Brian Dawkins, so… yes, they will probably boo you.

My favorite Philly fan story is when a fan proposed on the “Kiss Cam” at a game in Philly and the Philly fans started chanting “She’s Uuugly”. Why would you put your future fiance through that. What an idiot.

24. daysend564 says: Oct 26, 2012 11:40 AM

Hate the Eagles
    Don’t care about the Falcons

Eagles win this game 24-17

25. roddytorock84 says: Oct 26, 2012 11:46 AM

As ante why would you ever think Philly fans have any amount of class or dignity?

26. roddytorock84 says: Oct 26, 2012 11:47 AM

Asante why would you ever think Philly fans have any amount of class or dignity?

27. phillyphannn83 says: Oct 26, 2012 12:08 PM

May have heard more cheers had he not said that. Now its just going to be raucous boos.

Anyone who mentions the Santa Claus thing 60+ years after it happened is 1. pathetic and 2. has no idea what really happened.

28. bleed4philly says: Oct 26, 2012 2:17 PM

Yeah, I cheer, if you get injured.

29. roddytorock84 says: Oct 26, 2012 3:04 PM

^stay classy

30. mail2bency says: Oct 27, 2012 10:33 AM

Hmmm, the last time a player who asked me to cheer for him when he ran out of the tunnel, who was traded for a 7th round pick due to there being zero interest in him around the NFL save one team was…

never.

31. teedraper says: Oct 28, 2012 2:44 AM

Philly fans are all JOKES! Bunch of big mouth LOSERS!

Asante will ball against the trash eagles

32. macjacmccoy says: Oct 28, 2012 9:43 AM

What you did for the Eagles? The worst seasons of the last 15 years were when you were with the team. Sorry to tell you but the Eagles were better without you. And not just all around either but at the cornerback position too. First it was Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent then it was Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. The Eagles got much better play out of the cornerback position with those players on the field then did during any season in which you were with the team.