Scott Fujita unsure if he will ever play again

Scott Fujita AP

Browns linebacker Scott Fujita says he’s not sure if he’ll ever play football again after suffering a season-ending neck injury.

It’s still too early,” Fujita told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I’m still digesting the news of being put on IR and the injury and everything else, so it’s a little too early to rush into a decision like that. I need time, I need to breath a little bit, get back with my family and keep all options open with my doctors in time.”

Fujita indicated that his wife is worried about his long-term health if he tries to play again, and that’s one reason he may call it quits.

“We’ve had a lot of very private conversations and we will continue that dialogue,” said Fujita. “I almost didn’t even want to tell her that I was getting the MRI. There’s a big picture we’ve got to look at here, too.”

Still, Fujita would miss his football family if he left.

“It’s something special about this game,” Fujita said of the camaraderie with teammates. “I love this game. It’s been good to me, and it’s something about crossing the white lines with 10 of your buddies, looking in the same direction, locking jaws, locking arms and saying, ‘All right, let’s go.’ There’s something special about that, and that’s why we play this game.”

And that’s what Fujita will miss if he has played for the last time.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Scott Fujita unsure if he will ever play again”
  1. vbe2 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:12 PM

Queue up the Boy George music…

2. hawks1124 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:15 PM

I think the Browns are a good first step into retirement

“I love this game. It’s been good to me, and it’s something about crossing the white lines with 10 of your buddies, looking in the same direction, locking jaws, locking arms and saying, ‘All right, let’s go head hunting”

You say Good bye, Karma says Hello Hello

3. goodolebaghead says: Oct 26, 2012 7:19 PM

If you mention karma in your comments, about such a stand up guy, you better be Buddha. I dare you to research past the bounty case he was cleared of, and yet still punished, and see all the amazing things he has done for charity and people less fortunate for him. Good Luck, Scott.

4. hawks1124 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:35 PM

So doing charity work makes up for intentionally trying to hurt his fellow players ? Granted he’s no Suh, or Brandon Marshall

5. istateyourname says: Oct 26, 2012 7:43 PM

I wonder how he would feel if someone got paid a little bit to put a some hot sauce on his neck in that game?

6. rg3andout says: Oct 26, 2012 7:58 PM

the redskins will sign him to a 90 mill contract next year, all he needs to do is show he can breathe

7. rooneyruleblues says: Oct 26, 2012 7:59 PM

He fought the law and the law won. Bad guy. Karma ripped him a new one.

8. tdubdizzle says: Oct 26, 2012 8:00 PM

Man y’all need to stop talking about this man like hes an OX.This is another HUMAN, another MAN, you’re talking about here. All you little media Guinea Pigs that believe the BS Roger Goodell has spewed all over this mans reputation, on and off the field. Scott Fujita is innocent, how dare you spit on this mans name like you’re of higher authority. We are all equal, it disgust me to see other ‘men’ talking down on another man because of allegations not even facts. Look at the big picture guys, Scott Fujita is a good guy that doesn’t deserve this kind of treatment. His career could be over, his livelihood! And you’re over here saying he deserved it because of a couple false allegations? Wow guys, it’s time to grow up. GET BETTER SOON SCOTT, I HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK OUT THERE AGAIN BUDDY!

9. aphoticapex says: Oct 26, 2012 8:00 PM

In the investigation, they couldnt give any real evidence that he was involved. Not to meantion, it doesnt matter what team, divison, age, whatever; there will always be people looking to injure. It kills me that everyone freaked out when the bounty system was revealed.

10. mwindle1973 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:24 PM

goodolebaghead says: Oct 26, 2012 7:19 PM

___________

I agree, other than the bounty scandal Fujita was model NFL citizen. Even more than that really. I think in light of that, and the fact that he is being punished for not reporting the bounty system or trying to stop it, that his suspension should be voided, and give him some kind of official admonishment or a large fine or something. THe NFL has stated they have nothing pointing to Fujita either donating or participating in the bounty pool. And I am pro-NFL on the bounty issue. But Fujita is the one guy I thought got a severe punishment for what he was accused of. I actually thought all of their suspensions should have been conditional. Like Big Ben’s was. Where he had to also undergo some counseling and other things the league wanted him to do before he could be reinstated. But I thought Fujita without proof of participation should’ve gotten 1 game (which he did in the end) or had to pay a big fine. And I thought the NFL should’ve made a mandatory player education seminar type thing for all players to be educated about bounties, their consequences, etc, etc, etc. Mainly because it wasn’t just the Saints doing it. There is some evidence that suggests that at least until 2006 or so that this was happening on at least a few teams. There is also the suggestion out there from many familiar with the NFL the bounties were something all teams did for at least the last 25 years or so, and may have still been doing it at the time the Saints were. So in the end if Goodell has a responsibility to treat this as a league wide issue and be preventative about it in the future. How about an anonymous hotline where players can report violations without threat of recourse.

11. omegaichiban says: Oct 26, 2012 8:31 PM

What do you call running into somebody as fast as you can, with the intent of putting them on the ground, while they are running at you trying to prevent it? Don’t think that’s going to hurt?

12. steelcityfinest13 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:33 PM

As a die hard steeler fan anything that comes out of cleveland im trashing it….but in this case health is an issue…i dont wanna see nothing about a career ending injury…i can care less what he did as far as bounty gate…but all in all hes human fellas..put the trash talk áaway just for good measure!!

13. novoodoo4409 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:34 PM

Fujita and Saints haters are such bottom feeders and low lifes…not sure why you exist other than to serve me fries at McDonald’s…

14. AlanSaysYo says: Oct 26, 2012 9:05 PM

Who knew so many from the Fujita family frequented the PFT comment section?

15. bathroomben7 says: Oct 26, 2012 9:23 PM

What Fujita actually said:

“I love this game. It’s been good to me, and it’s something about crossing the white lines with 10 of your buddies, looking in the same direction, locking jaws, locking arms and saying, ‘All right, you take the head, I’ll take out the ACL.”

16. vbe2 says: Oct 26, 2012 9:27 PM

novoodoo4409 says:Oct 26, 2012 8:34 PM

Fujita and Saints haters are such bottom feeders
    =======================
    So you are saying that Fujita is a “bottom feeder” and you’re not sure why he exists?

17. coltzfan166 says: Oct 26, 2012 9:57 PM

So Anthony Hargrove is still unsigned, Vilma is one hit away from messing up his knee, and now Scott is probably done. Watch out Will Smith. Karma’s coming for you next.

18. msclemons67 says: Oct 27, 2012 12:16 AM

The front runners have deserted the Saints and now the remaining 92 Aint’s fans sit at home, paper bags on heads, and down vote anything that reminds them of their return to suckitude.

No bounties, no wins. Fill those bags with cash and maybe that defense will tackle someone.

19. milkcan44 says: Oct 27, 2012 12:17 AM

Go have a beer with Nick Collins.

20. goldtoothbiscuits says: Oct 27, 2012 1:31 AM

I’m unsure if I care if Fujita ever plays again

21. denverscott says: Oct 27, 2012 1:43 AM

tdubdizzle says: Oct 26, 2012 8:00 PM

—————————————————

Man, I didn’t know that the “leave Madonna alone” guy followed football too.

22. genericuser8888 says: Oct 27, 2012 3:48 AM

At the second hearing, Goodell cleared him of participating in the bounty program and reduced his suspension to one game. He got one game because he knew about pfp but did not report it to the league.

In other words, even Roger Goodell, cleared him of participating in bounties, but you’ve still got a lot of dummies talking about “karma” on here. The league sure did a number in these guys’ public reputations. I can see why Vilma is suing.

23. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 27, 2012 10:41 AM

steelcityfinest13 says:Oct 26, 2012 8:33 PM
    ———————————————————-
    So you’re saying that a guy who deliberately took part in a pay-to-injure plan is a guy we should all care about when it’s HIM that gets injured? The people the Saints targeted were “human” too, did Fujita care about THEM?

Count me among the “karma” fans.

24. djaehne says: Oct 27, 2012 10:48 AM

guess you will slip into obscurity unless someone decides to pay you league minimum base salary. Then we’ll all hear how you’re making a come back and how football is still very high on your list.

25. cidman2001 says: Oct 27, 2012 11:13 AM

He’s a guy with a family. His career has likely ended and not on his terms. Regardless of what you think he did or didn’t do, that’s a hard pill to swallow for anyone. Yes, I’m well aware that he’s probably made more money than most of us will over our lifetime, but on a simple human level, he’s just a guy who’s life has just radically changed. I myself have had a spine injury that now causes chronic pain that I suffer with every day. Those of you running around whining about karma should consider yourselves lucky that it hasn’t yet come around to bite you yet. As a Vikings fan, I should be the last person to wish Fujita the best of luck moving forward, but I have class and a healthy respect for anyone who has played the game at this level. Some of you folks should try it. You have to have a heart to truly be a serious NFL fan. Good luck Scott!

26. joetoronto says: Oct 28, 2012 6:10 AM

novoodoo4409 says:
    Oct 26, 2012 8:34 PM
    ***************************************************

Says the bottom feeder who eats at McDonalds.