Tebow: Getting better, waiting for chance, not fueling fire

New York Jets v New England Patriots Getty Images

Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow sat down for a one-on-one interview with Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, and one of the first things he mentioned was: “We’ve had a history here of people talking too much. You just don’t want to do that.”

Mission accomplished.

Tebow largely danced around the notion of his frustration at not playing a bigger role, taking the good teammate role while admitting he’d prefer to do more.

“I don’t know if that’s not being a team guy,” Tebow said. “I think that I try to be open and honest in talking to the media. Obviously try to be honest. But sometimes you don’t have to talk about everything. We’ve had a history here of people talking too much. You just don’t want to do that. Why make it something if it’s not?”

“Obviously, I’m a competitor,” he said. “And you get frustrated with losing. When we win, I’m excited about winning. That way I get the ups and downs of a football season. But I also know that it’s never as good as it seems, it’s never as bad as seems. You always have to stay focused because you never know for me.

“My role, it could expand. So you just got to always be ready.”

Asked if it was fair to starter Mark Sanchez to have such a popular player as the backup, Tebow replied: “I feel like one of the reasons they brought me here was to help make him better by being someone that could come in and convert some first downs, make some plays, do different things. So, hopefully our being together will benefit both of us.”

Mehta joked with Tebow about running for public office, and he probably should. Because his ability to take potentially controversial topics and make them innocuous is as impressive as anything he’s done on the field as a Jet.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Tebow: Getting better, waiting for chance, not fueling fire”
  1. hehateme2 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:55 AM

Sadly Timmy has not been able to stifle the jests empty promises and media obsession. But after all, what else is there for them?

2. rschaf2 says: Oct 26, 2012 7:57 AM

Stay fit. Keep sharp. Make good decisions.

3. tv426 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:08 AM

He always says that he is getting better – yet he still sucks!

4. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Oct 26, 2012 8:24 AM

Tebow isn’t a good pro football player, but he’s too good a dude to be on that team with that coach and that group of players.

5. metalhead65 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:26 AM

I don’t understand why the media keep trying to make him look bad. if he says he wants to do more he is a bad teammate but if he says he is content with his role it shows that he sucks and does not have what it takes to be a starter. he says what he can without sounding like a jerk and a bad teammate and you say he should be a politician. he should run for office when he is thru because he is the one guy you could believe what says since he has stood by what he believes in since he came in to the public eye. this despite attempts to find something negative on him.

6. jjb0811 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:26 AM

Tebow will last about 8~10 years and be on 4 different teams. He’ll be remembered as someones who ‘had’ potential.

7. brianforster says: Oct 26, 2012 8:29 AM

if tebow ever wants to be a starting qb in this league (and im not arguing whether he can), he needs to be playing for a team and coach that is willing to groom him, not put him on the damn punt team.

8. broncomania18 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:33 AM

Saint Timmy Patron Saint of the Zone Read!

9. wingz101 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:35 AM

Another Tebow story?

Where’s the “Dwayne Bowe” to the Jets story, it’s been almost a week since he was rumored to be asking for a trade.

10. shadowman1433 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:35 AM

He has to get better, he can’t get any worse.

11. hehateme2 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:41 AM

The most overrated player in the league, according to players themselves, is New York Jets backup quarterback and punt protector Tim Tebow.
    Mark Sanchez coming in as the second most overrated player is.

Someone forgot to tell the jets that it is now a QB league…

12. baloneyjohn says: Oct 26, 2012 8:44 AM

Leave the guy alone. You haters should move out of the basement, get a job flipping burgers.
    U R pathetic losers that have never accomplished anything but getting tossed out of grade school

13. oldirtyman says: Oct 26, 2012 8:45 AM

Tebow just tell the truth, you and Sanchez both suck

14. cuda1234 says: Oct 26, 2012 8:54 AM

The fact that the backup qb sat down and talked to the media about how too many people talk too much says alot about the backup qb and how much he talks about himself.

Its like the guy who won a medal for being humble and started wearing it everywhere he goes.

Think about it.

15. philly2686 says: Oct 26, 2012 9:27 AM

So let me get this straight a player whose been a star all his life wants to see the field more? Who would have thought? Personally i think i would enjoy the bench more and be frustrated if they put me in. Thanks for alerting the world.

16. thesanchizekid says: Oct 26, 2012 9:33 AM

Aimed at 1972 :-) really ? Not a good football player! Hahahaha maybe not a good QB but come on. That comment is way off. Not even close actually. The dude is a great football player and a better teammate.

17. sourdoughsam says: Oct 26, 2012 10:36 AM

“Tebow’s squeaky clean image keeps him from appearing bitter and divisive, while clearly wishing he could do more.”

I don’t know know if you’ve ever been on a sports team, Darin, but this is called: “being a good teammate.”

Most backups on NFL rosters were stars before getting into the league. The guys who hang around a while are the ones who understand the concept of team. Tebow may never be a great QB, but he’s a hell of a football player with a great attitude and I think there’s always a place in the league for a guy like that.

18. keeppounding says: Oct 26, 2012 10:40 AM

Tebow is 9-2 as a starter last year, is that correct? So he doesn’t start because he’s not traditional? Or because he doesn’t win games? Playoff games? I’m so intrigued by the Tebow haters. Football is all about wins and so far that’s all tebow has done. I just don’t get it. You can credit his defense or special teams or whatever you want but the fact of the matter is he WON 9 games as a starter last year. I could have a better understanding if he lost games. So cue the um….. So what if he wins guys? …. I guess

19. usmutts says: Oct 26, 2012 11:14 AM

Maybe part of the problem here is that a second stringer who rarely gets to step on the field gets a one on one interview with the New York Daily News.

20. scrp2 says: Oct 26, 2012 11:25 AM

Seeing what he did in Denver made me a believer. You can’t be overrated if your not playing. Natural leader, born to start.

21. sactogary says: Oct 26, 2012 11:27 AM

usmutts says:Oct 26, 2012 11:14 AM

——————————————————-
    Whose fault is that? Why is it a problem?

22. rickeydynamite25 says: Oct 26, 2012 11:39 AM

Tim Tebow’s still in the NFL? Well I’ll be Jimmy Crack Corn!!,,, and I don’t care!!!

23. omegaichiban says: Oct 26, 2012 11:50 AM

it’s not like he called Manish and said “Hey, I want to do an interview”

24. igotgamenj says: Oct 26, 2012 11:57 AM

Another Tebow story?

Jets have no money 2013 -7 million over the cap plus Revis wants a new contract

25. Broncofanatic7 says: Oct 26, 2012 12:04 PM

Tebow > Cam Newton

But for some reason Cam doesn’t get voted the most overrated player? Cam STILL doesn’t have more wins than Tebow and he has started double the amount of games.
    Overhyped? Yeah, maybe Tebow is overhyped, but that isn’t his fault.
    I would take Tebow over Cam Newton any day of the week.
    One is a leader, and one is not… One has a playoff win, and one does not.

26. hor2012 says: Oct 26, 2012 12:07 PM

I wish someone would tell me what Tim Tebow did to get everyone so upset. I mean really, I haven’t heard him say one bad thing about anyone and yet he seems to be hated. I’ll wait for someone to explain it to me

27. basauder says: Oct 26, 2012 12:25 PM

brianforster says:
    Oct 26, 2012 8:29 AM
    “one has to question why tebow chose NY in the first place, it just seems like a lose lose for him in terms of his development as a passer.”

Seriously? He was traded. He didn’t choose anything.

28. cuda1234 says: Oct 26, 2012 12:29 PM

keeppounding – like all Tebowmanians almost all the time, you are wrong. The Broncos ended the season on a 3-game losing streak last year before going 1-1 in the playoffs. You can’t be 9-2 when you finish 1-4.

And who says he didn’t set up the press conference where he talked about how other people should talk less but the backup qb should talk more? Do we know that for a fact?

29. keeppounding says: Oct 26, 2012 1:41 PM

Cuda1234:

Thank you for answering my question to the correctness of his record. My facts weren’t straight. He is 7-4 as a starter that’s a 63% winning percentage. 1-1 in the playoffs ( 50 % ). That looks like a winning record to me. Justify it however you would like.

30. raysfan1 says: Oct 26, 2012 2:29 PM

Why does a backup QB have a sit down interview with a member of the media, you ask, Cuda?
    1) The NFL wants its players and coaches to be open to the media–it’s good PR.
    2) He was asked.
    3) Players who make a habit of not cooperating with the media tend to get labelled as jerks.

31. lrjets says: Oct 26, 2012 4:28 PM

oldirtyman says:Oct 26, 2012 8:45 AM

Tebow just tell the truth, you and Sanchez both suck

Lemme guess, you wrote this on your break in Shipping and Receiving.