Landry sees each game as a “Suicide Mission”

Ellis Lankster, LaRon Landry AP

Jets safety LaRon Landry has been doing plenty of talking lately.  And the league can’t be thrilled with most of what he is saying.

“If I get penalized, I’m not going to stop hitting or head hunting,” Landry said earlier this week.  “I’m not going to stop the way I play.”

Landry also has no regard for his own well being.  He tells Mike Garafolo of USA Today that, before each game, Landry writes the words “Suicide Mission” on his body.

“[R]ight on my chest,” Landry said.  “Right over my tatts.  In black Sharpie.”

Landry now says it wasn’t “smart” of him to use the “head hunting” term.  It’s probably also not smart to view playing football as a “Suicide Mission.”

But Landry is smart about the league’s sensitivity to certain types of injuries.

“They have a lot of concussions out there,” Landry said.  “You don’t want to be a vegetable.  The league is trying to protect you for longevity.  Players have families and people who care about them.  It’s understood.  I don’t understand when it comes across that I’m trying to injure guys, trying to blow their knees out and do this or that.  Man, that’s a legal hit.  Don’t blame me.  I’m playing within the NFL’s system.  So my whole mindset is not to end your career because I know how it feels to be out.”

It’s a delicate balance for players who want to be aggressive but who also don’t want to be viewed as dirty.  The best way to address the disconnect would be for the league to make things that are dirty (e.g., hits to the knees) also illegal.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Landry sees each game as a “Suicide Mission””
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Oct 27, 2012 2:37 PM

he is either the dumbest person in the world or he is in need of mental help. Possibly both..

2. glennmcahill says: Oct 27, 2012 2:42 PM

Hey Laron, you play for a team called the NEW YORK JETS. You really think the words ‘suicide mission’ is appropriate?

3. sadskinsfan89 says: Oct 27, 2012 2:43 PM

The stupidity never ends with him. Some ppl just should stay away from the mic. He is all talk

4. t16rich says: Oct 27, 2012 2:44 PM

Keep going after them Saints, NFL. In the mean time, the Jets will openly talk about their mission to kill Reggie Bush this week.

5. kaferwerks says: Oct 27, 2012 2:46 PM

dont want people to think youre trying to injure people or call you dirty? KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! problem solved.

6. JackLeone says: Oct 27, 2012 2:47 PM

Poor choice of words

7. jerrygray721 says: Oct 27, 2012 2:47 PM

just another example of how the jets just dont know when or how to shut up

8. duncanthecat says: Oct 27, 2012 2:52 PM

The Redskins saved themselves alot of grief by showing this guy the door.

9. bennyb82 says: Oct 27, 2012 2:53 PM

The owner of this team must care very little about his reputation…because these players reflect poorly on him. This team has won nothing yet continues to talk like they have.

10. mtx1992 says: Oct 27, 2012 2:55 PM

Roid rage

11. mempusa says: Oct 27, 2012 2:58 PM

Someone test this guy for PED’s and call him a psychiatrist

12. wherezwaldo says: Oct 27, 2012 3:02 PM

derp

13. cash804 says: Oct 27, 2012 3:03 PM

Week 9, typically Landry’s last game of every season, can’t get here fast enough.

14. jivelikenice says: Oct 27, 2012 3:06 PM

Laron might be better off trying to gain possession of the ball once in a while. Last I checked, safeties try to create turnovers and Laron has only 5 ints in his career. Pretty pathetic for a guy who thinks he’s an elite safety.

15. ninjapleazee says: Oct 27, 2012 3:10 PM

Roid Rage

16. patfic15 says: Oct 27, 2012 3:10 PM

Can we just pretend the Jets don’t exist?

17. b1unt3d says: Oct 27, 2012 3:11 PM

The more I hear about this guy, the more I dislike him.

18. florioshairhat says: Oct 27, 2012 3:11 PM

As a redskins fan, I can’t decide which I hated more about that guy: His big flexing celebrations after tackling a guy that just got a first down- or his attempts at monster hits that missed the rb entirely. Wrap up, dummy.

19. realitypolice says: Oct 27, 2012 3:13 PM

This franchise is a disgrace. Is there no one in that entire organization with the brains and the power to get in front of that room and tell everyone to shut the hell up?

Rob Ryan- you can thank your brother (and your own limitations) for the fact that you will never, ever, get a head coaching shot in the NFL.

20. amaf21 says: Oct 27, 2012 3:35 PM

Just like how every time you open your mouth you shoot yourself in the foot.

21. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Oct 27, 2012 3:37 PM

this guy should go play the saints cheating defense, he fits right in!

22. cereal blogger says: Oct 27, 2012 3:38 PM

The exact kind of player who gives the NFL a bad name. He just doesnt get it….

23. tannethrill says: Oct 27, 2012 3:43 PM

A Jet on a suicide mission? Really?

How isn’t this idiot being silenced by the organization yet?

Pathetic

24. rg3enoughsaid says: Oct 27, 2012 3:51 PM

Hey Landy.. you might want to think about working your brain muscle group next time you hit the gym.. correction.. next time you TRY to hit the gym and miss

25. cliffordc05 says: Oct 27, 2012 3:59 PM

Landry should keep playing the way he plays. Its kind of similar to a two down linebacker who is poor in coverage and talks about it. Landry is a perfect fit for the Jets.

26. melikefootball says: Oct 27, 2012 4:10 PM

Better becareful with the loose lips… I think a head hunter in Pittsburgh got suspended for continued hits and mouth.

27. choppa2lis says: Oct 27, 2012 4:17 PM

could you imagine the uproar, if the jets said they were going to put some hot sauce on the nfl’s precious unstoppable rg3? the nfl would suspend the entire jets team before the game even started. they would fine rex ryan 5 million dollars if he used the hot sauce line on rg3.

28. ghjjf says: Oct 27, 2012 4:24 PM

I think La-roid Landry would even fail at a real suicide mission.

29. lrjets says: Oct 27, 2012 4:26 PM

Who’s going to be the big mouth for the next week? Oh it’s a bye. Bye!
    These 2012 Jets take any pleasure away from its fans.
    I’ve seen better Jets teams that just played and shut their mouths.

They really can’t afford to mouth off.
    BE LIKE MANGOLD!

30. arlingtonsynn says: Oct 27, 2012 4:27 PM

I wonder if him and Mendenhall have the same publicist.

31. nyyjetsknicks says: Oct 27, 2012 4:27 PM

Has he been checked for concussions?

32. dclogicatlast says: Oct 27, 2012 4:36 PM

Yes because more penalties is exactly what the NFL needs o.0

33. rajbais says: Oct 27, 2012 4:40 PM

This guy’s crazy!!!!!

34. samapoc says: Oct 27, 2012 4:53 PM

I like that he plays hard.

35. selldannysell says: Oct 27, 2012 4:57 PM

If only….

36. zingo1978 says: Oct 27, 2012 4:57 PM

I think he may be confused as to what a suicide mission is in that those on them know for certain they won’t be returning.

37. larryjames836 says: Oct 27, 2012 5:40 PM

The whole NFL is a suicide mission that is football the players up today might be down and out on Sunday game day. Just a friendly game so why point fingers when this whole game is aggressive.

38. fortunefavorsthebolden says: Oct 27, 2012 5:47 PM

too bad he never completes his mission.

39. dolphins512 says: Oct 27, 2012 5:49 PM

Another day….another stupid comment from a Jet player or coach.

I can’t understand why the GM or Owner don’t put a stop to this circus. Rivalry aside, this teams behavior is an embarrassment.

40. GIBoxer5 says: Oct 27, 2012 5:51 PM

I can’t wait to point and laugh at this idiot when he’s a vegetable..and getting sued by the guys he injured. #KARMA

41. apm says: Oct 27, 2012 5:59 PM

Fitting this story ends up right next to the Lattimore injury story.

42. hehateme2 says: Oct 27, 2012 6:09 PM

Wrecks has clearly lost control of the locker room. He has NO business being a Head Coach.

The inmates are in charge of the crazy factory. And embarrassment to the NFL.

43. spearsnva says: Oct 27, 2012 6:23 PM

Dirty 30 still on the sauce. You poor fool! Your IQ is <30 your favorite number and declining! Thank you for departing DC quickly!

44. theworldbestrealitycheck says: Oct 27, 2012 7:22 PM

looking for reports on this site other than jets talk is a real death mission

45. dasanchize says: Oct 27, 2012 7:26 PM

This is football get over it. I hope he knocks bush out tomorrow

46. cabby782 says: Oct 27, 2012 7:44 PM

Players should play and not speak

47. geniusesq says: Oct 27, 2012 7:52 PM

As a current Redskins fan and former Laron fan. I will say this. He is a great talent. But he talks and celebrates far too often. He was brought into DC to be the second piece of a great Safety tandem with Sean Taylor. But it didn’t work. We still feel the void of that mistake. But, Laron is what he is. A fast, strong, talented safety who talks as much as he’s injured.

48. trojanwarrior007 says: Oct 27, 2012 8:20 PM

A suicide mission for him is the amount of ‘roids he’s pumping in his system. He’s gotta take it down a notch.

49. daubs17 says: Oct 27, 2012 8:43 PM

Comical how Landry comes from relative obscurity on Washington where you didnt hear a peep out of him. Now he’s on the Jets and is suddenly a public speaker. Ive never seen a team that is so incredibly mediocre talk as much as the Jets. Its awesome

50. petehemlock says: Oct 27, 2012 9:41 PM

I love LaRon Landry. He’s Jaws.

51. taintedsaints2009 says: Oct 28, 2012 12:05 AM

I think this is one of the classic signs of roid rage

52. fullbagg says: Oct 28, 2012 1:38 AM

I used to love Landry. But he fell in love with his reflection. He is what alot of injured players have become….. Bulky players. All mass, no flexibility.

New York is such an overblown sports town. Alot like Washington, my sports town. Problem is, Rex is a complete blowhard. Shanny is a CONTROL FREAK! Landry decided HE would cure himself. Bye bye DC!

On Revis Island, he’s another talking Jet. All noise.

I’m really surprised he is still playing. He was the safety standing next to Sean Taylor. When Sean passed, he tried to fill his shoes. Everyone remembers B. Jacobs completely smashing him.

Good luck NY! The only player missing is Jeff George!!!!!!!

53. defscottyb says: Oct 28, 2012 2:15 AM

As a skins fan I’ve been watching Landry since day one. He makes an occasional big hit but he’s burnt toast in coverage. Risk not worth the reward and only a matter of time til he gets popped for steroids. I do credit his heart and passion for the game though.

54. rg3andthensome says: Oct 28, 2012 6:59 AM

To call the man dumb? Not so sure…Think about how it is that he can write SUICIDE MISSION backwards and looking down on it…?

Also, does the ink bleed through on his bed at night? Crazy….I might have to take this idea and use it at work…That way if I miss a deadline, people will know just what my plan was.

55. flaccodelic says: Oct 28, 2012 7:52 AM

That’s just the ‘roids talking, bro.

56. weneedlinemen42 says: Oct 28, 2012 8:05 AM

When they were kids, his older brother dared him to jump out of the back of moving pickup truck. Laron jumped.

Laron Landry, a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

57. jamesbarnes says: Oct 28, 2012 9:01 AM

I’m still thrilled the Redskins let this clown walk. If he were still on the team, they would probably have the 33rd ranked secondary instead of the 32nd.