Jay Cutler understands Bears fans booing him at halftime

Jay Cutler AP

When Bears quarterback Jay Cutler walked off the field after a three-turnover, six-sack first half, he may or may not have remarked on the loyalty of his home fans. My lip reading’s rusty.

But after they escaped with a 23-22 win over the Panthers, Cutler admitted the offense was not where it should have been.

“I’d boo us too, . . . It was a boo-worthy performance,” Cutler said, via Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune. “It was pathetic offensively what we put out there offensively.

“We’ve got to get better. We know that, our fans know that. Luckily enough, we got out of there with a win.”

Well, luck, a Panthers team that’s now 1-10 in games decided by a touchdown or less under Ron Rivera, and Cutler himself.

Playing after a rib injury last week, Cutler turned in another good finish, moving his team efficiently up and down the field in the fourth quarter for a comeback.

Say what you want about his attitude, he’s getting the job done for the 6-1 Bears.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “Jay Cutler understands Bears fans booing him at halftime”
  1. doug1grohlin says: Oct 28, 2012 8:17 PM

I’m glad he’s on the Bears! A five game winning streak sure feels good to me.

2. notinjuschillin says: Oct 28, 2012 8:17 PM

Reminds me of the last time the Bears were in the playoffs.
    Bears had an easy schedule that season…then had the Seahawks in round 1 then lost to Green Bay.
    I’m willing to bet that once the Bears play big boy football they’ll be exposed like they were that season.

3. zn0rseman says: Oct 28, 2012 8:18 PM

As my wife (a huge Bears fan) said after that game…

“They didn’t deserve to win that game after catastrophic failures in all aspects of the game for three whole quarters.”

I agree. But a win, is a win, is a win. I guess.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 28, 2012 8:19 PM

What I want to say about Cutler’s attitude is that it stinks. I’ve seen guys climbing out of dumpsters who looked happier and healthier than him.

5. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Oct 28, 2012 8:20 PM

Cutler played like garbage, but he regained his composure when it mattered most, marching the Bears down the field on that last possession.

Winners don’t quit and find a way to win and that’s why the Bears are 6-1.

6. larryboodry says: Oct 28, 2012 8:28 PM

“Say what you want about his attitude…”

Shhh…Don’t give them ideas…(-;

7. prideisbears says: Oct 28, 2012 8:30 PM

Yeah Jay may have orchestrated a TD drive and a game winning drive all in the 4th QT while getting beat up all day but what about his body language?

8. arrghmakeitstop says: Oct 28, 2012 8:31 PM

Cutler also commented “DON’T CAAAARE!”.

9. punkyqb says: Oct 28, 2012 8:33 PM

Talent wise he’s the best qb the Bears have had in decades but I’m starting to wonder if he can get the job done on a regular basis.Or is it the play calling by Tice. 6-1 is great by if they had played good teams the last couple of weeks there would have been a couple of losses.

10. larryboodry says: Oct 28, 2012 8:42 PM

arrghmakeitstop says: Oct 28, 2012 8:31 PM

Cutler also commented “DON’T CAAAARE!”
    ——————————–
    Saw his postgame press conference, truth is he didn’t really say that. (For those of you who might believe everything you read, even sarcasm.)

11. packhawk04 says: Oct 28, 2012 8:42 PM

Cutler- one win against green bay in his career. Im happy he plays for the bears too.

same old jay…

12. hungbob says: Oct 28, 2012 8:47 PM

Sure there are no Broncos fans that are ruing the trade of Cutler now, regardless the play of the Bears offensive line is atrocious.

13. larryboodry says: Oct 28, 2012 8:51 PM

punkyqb says: Oct 28, 2012 8:33 PM

“Talent wise he’s the best qb the Bears have had in decades but I’m starting to wonder if he can get the job done on a regular basis.”

Like the original Punky QB, Jay’s #s aren’t always pretty, but he wins…25-9 in his last 34 starts, 11-1 in his last 12…Or would you rather have guys who put up 300 yds. on a losing team?

14. crazycane says: Oct 28, 2012 9:06 PM

Bears, Lions, Vikings and Packers play 14 out of the 16 teams the same except for two games. Please learn how an NFL schedule world before posting about teams having easier schedules than fellow division rivals. Packers struggled today at home to THE SAME TEAM THE BEARS BLEW OUT.

15. nesby2 says: Oct 28, 2012 9:07 PM

I’m as happy as anyone but I’m pissed after this game.. For 5 weeks our offense has been pathetic in their production, luckily we’re 6-1.. At what cost, point or extent do we start holding Tice accountable for this poor offensive production?!? At what point do we start blaming Cutler for locking in on Marshall for far too long & not going through the rest of his progressions which results in a sack or turnover!!.. I’m very happy we got the “W” but if Tice can’t handle the job we need to demote him back to offensive line duties & promote Jeremy Bates because this offense looks egregious!!

16. chi01town says: Oct 28, 2012 9:11 PM

the Chicago Bears are playing the
    schedule that was gave to them so
    dont get mad because the Bears are beating the teams they are suppose to beat…. unlike greenbay who lost to the Colts and Seattle

17. djaehne says: Oct 28, 2012 9:15 PM

Great, now the qb becomes a head case this week.

18. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 28, 2012 9:18 PM

And they lost to the team they’re supposed to lose to – Green Bay.

So nice.

19. snaponrules says: Oct 28, 2012 9:38 PM

I don’t care if the media like him and his expressions or not. He is the best QB bears fans have had for DECADES.
    For those that think he locks in on Marshal to much. His read progression ends when he sets his feet. After that he is under pressure from the worst O-line in football. Most teams go a quarter of a season giving up 6 sacks. That is one half of a game for a Chicago QB. Also in the second half Marshal was the only receiver out because the line had to MAX protect just to get Cutler more then 3 seconds with the ball, and you saw what he can do when given that time.

20. burrito12 says: Oct 28, 2012 9:41 PM

With the bears upcoming schedule, they will be lucky to finish 9-7. I hope Cutler has the Texans circled on his calendar in 2 weeks, because that will be the day JJ Watt introduces himself to Mr. Cutler with at least a 4 sack day!!

21. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 28, 2012 9:55 PM

burrito12 says:
    Oct 28, 2012 9:41 PM

I don’t know that he makes it that far. He took himself out of the game after a legitimate little sack by Suh last week… plus a bunch more sacks this week…

I hope he makes it through the season, because then bears fans don’t have any excuses (like last year), but his line is terrible and he is made of glass and insulin.

22. dino2997 says: Oct 28, 2012 10:09 PM

“Jay Cutler understand Bears fans booing him at half time”

Really? I was at the game and didn’t see any booing towards anybody in particular or even if there was any booing. The media just can’t stop with the Cutler bashing can they? Truth is most Bears fans love Cutler! As for the haters who cares what they think.

23. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 28, 2012 10:11 PM

dino2997 says:
    Oct 28, 2012 10:09 PM
    “Jay Cutler understand Bears fans booing him at half time”

Well obviously Quitler did, unless he’s just trying to be “the victim.” That seems about right.

24. west4420 says: Oct 28, 2012 10:23 PM

I swear to god the majority of you cellar dwellers need to stop acting like punks just because the veil of protection that the internet provides allows you to live your lives with no honor, respect, perspective, etc.

You sit there and take it in the backside in real life which necessitates your troll behavior online. It’s psych 101.

25. west4420 says: Oct 28, 2012 10:52 PM

hungbob says:Oct 28, 2012 8:47 PM

———————————–

I’m sorry, this point and logic of this comment was so flawed that I had to say something.

Bob, your comment would suggest that the acquisition of Manning had anything to do the Cutler being traded.

Denver lost 3 years and some decent defenses because of the Cutler trade. It was just luck that they ended up with Peyton Manning…and one that is playing like this to boot.

26. pilot2011 says: Oct 29, 2012 12:10 AM

I would pull an Eli if I ever had to play with Cutler on my team. That dude is such a clown. How can any of you defend him? What in the hell is he so mad about? My guess is he has a little ding dong.

27. niubears says: Oct 29, 2012 12:25 AM

A win is a win. It’s the NFL, any team can win no matter the opponent. Just ask the Pack, I’m sure they’d love to have that game against Indy back.

This isn’t the BCS, style points mean nothing in the NFL

28. jimmysee says: Oct 29, 2012 2:13 AM

Memo to Bears fans: your team is 6-1!

Go boo the Cubs if you want to boo.

29. packmanfan says: Oct 29, 2012 3:34 AM

As a Packers fan I respect the Bears too much to think they suck.
    I think they are better than most Packers fan will admit to.
    Yes, they do make me nervous but that’s a good thing. After all that’s what division rivals are supposed to be about. I like the competition.
    I will root for the Pack all the way.
    If they don’t get into the SB and the Bears do, then I would root for the Bears.
    What kind of Packers fan am I?
    A nice one.

30. daubs17 says: Oct 29, 2012 4:05 AM

I was very sad to see Cutler traded at the time in 2009. Although he was a little raw, he looked like the kind of QB that would do nothing but mature and blossom into a very special player and I felt like Denver made a huge mistake.

Now although Denver has obviously suffered through some difficult times since then, I honestly have to say that even now with Cutler, I see the same player on Chicago that I did with Denver when he was a rookie.

Forced passes, dumb throws, bone headed interceptions, inaccuracy, etc. Definitely still has room for improvement and to be a better player, I still just scratch my head sometimes when I watch him play.

31. daCoach says: Oct 29, 2012 6:19 AM

I love the way only the Bears get grief for winning games they should win. So it was closer than it should’ve been. Take a look around the league, they aren’t the only team to just get by a lousy team.

Suck on 6-1 Haters.

32. glowingstone says: Oct 29, 2012 6:52 AM

I will never understand fans who boo their own team, at home, when it is leading the division. Every team has good afternoons and bad ones, and the separation between the best teams and the worst ones isn’t always as much as it appears. Grow up, Bears fans, and enjoy what you’ve got. You have a damn good team this year.

33. gmsingh says: Oct 29, 2012 8:30 AM

notinjuschillin says:
    Oct 28, 2012 8:17 PM
    Reminds me of the last time the Bears were in the playoffs.

Interesting–I seem to recall Green Bay going 15-1 last season and losing in the playoffs. It sure seems like good teams can lose in the playoffs! Meanwhile the Giants come in with so-so records and win Super Bowls. That’s football. Bottom line: the Bears have the second best record in the NFL and until that changes they have something to crow about.

34. wannabear says: Oct 29, 2012 10:08 AM

For all those that’s got a problem with Cutler, here it is , make a choice:
    1, a well composed qb, always smiling, happy and engaging with 1-6 record or
    2, Cutler with all his percieved faults at 6-1?

35. darthhitman77 says: Oct 29, 2012 10:10 AM

Chicago sure does live and die off creating turnovers. It’s an exiting style to watch but…what happens when team start protecting the ball? Kim Newton doesn’t throw that pick 6 and Chicago loses. Detroit doesn’t turn the ball over THREE times in the red zone and Chicago is on a 2 game losing streak right now. I have the Bears at about 10 wins this year…and don’t be surprised when their post season run is short lived. As for the Packers barely beating the Jags and the Bears fan pointing out the Bears blew them out, give me a moment to comment on that. I’m not a Bears OR Packers fan however, 3-3 at the half when you played ‘em, remember? #2, GB’s passing juggernaut of an offense was without Rodgers’ top TWO options while Woodson being out eliminated a lot of what Capers could have done normally on defense. Apples and oranges guy.

36. larryboodry says: Oct 29, 2012 1:46 PM

@tokyosandblaster:

How did Cutler take himself out of the Detroit game? he missed one play, which is required when there is an injury time-out, and came back in to a standing ovation…Today he was sacked six times in the first half, and did not miss a single play.

As for the booing, how is saying the fans’ ire was deserved ‘playing the victim?’

You are easily the worst Packer fan on here, not because of your passion for your team, but because your posts are based on hate, not logic.

Just sayin’…

37. beefbus says: Oct 29, 2012 2:06 PM

Guess which QB has the highest rating in the 4th quarter this year? Yep, Mr Jay Cutler.

38. larryboodry says: Oct 29, 2012 8:43 PM

packmanfan says:

“What kind of Packers fan am I?
    A nice one.”

Pleased to meet you…I’m always glad to see an opposing fan who can respect both a rival team, and it’s fans…I (usually, lol) only trash-talk when provoked by folks from tokyo and ilks like them…The NFC North is gonna be a close race this year, even the Lions are still hanging around…Looking forward to Dec. 16, hoping for a different result from Week 2, but knowing it’ll be a hard-fought game either way.