Norv Turner says he’s coaching on a “week-to-week basis”

Norv Turner AP

Perhaps as a result of hearing them for so long, Chargers coach Norv Turner was fairly nonchalant about questions about his job security Monday.

You’re coaching on a week-to-week basis,” Turner said Monday, via the Associated Press. “I’m coaching to do the best job I can to get our team ready to play Kansas City.

“All those other conversations, they’re going to take place. You know they’re going to take place.”

Of course, they haven’t taken place yet, as Turner said he hasn’t spoken about his future with either general manager A.J. Smith or owner Dean Spanos.

The best the reeling Chargers can hope for is that the Chiefs, which haven’t led for a second of a game this year, can fix what ails them.

Then again, they were probably thinking the same thing about the Browns, before losing 7-6. They haven’t scored a touchdown in six quarters, they’ve lost three straight and two in ridiculous fourth-quarter collapses.

“We’ve not been able to put together the kind of consistency we need to,” Turner said. “Usually, it’s a different thing in each situation where you have an opportunity to make a big play. You only get so many in a game. One play it might be protection, one play it might be we didn’t make the throw we wanted to make, one play it might be we’re still trying to get on the same page. Yesterday, obviously, we had a couple of opportunities for big plays.”

The Chargers have ridden Turner this long when questions swirled, so it seems hard to figure they’d fire him midseason. But if they continue their slide against a horrid Chiefs team, who knows what comes next.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
34 Responses to “Norv Turner says he’s coaching on a “week-to-week basis””
  1. h3min1230 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:03 AM

As bad as Kansas City is playing right now, I think they pull the upset in those one, making this the end of his coaching career.

2. addict2sport says: Oct 30, 2012 11:24 AM

As a Raider fan (notice I didn’t say as a member of the Raider Nation who can’t name 5 starters but wears Raider gear, picks fights and swears they’re going to Super Bowl) I hope the Chargers keep Turner for the next 15 years.

3. droksid says: Oct 30, 2012 11:25 AM

As a Broncos fan, I have to say that Norv hasn’t received a fair shot at this whole coaching thing.

I think Spanos needs to extend his contract, for life, and also make AJ Smith GM for life.

Will it be difficult? Yes.
    Will the Chargers continue to underpeform? Probably.
    Will Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs fans rejoice? You bet your season tickets.

It’s time for SD to accept its lot as the punching bag of the AFC West.

4. chargerdillon says: Oct 30, 2012 11:26 AM

San Diego Local, long time Charger fan, grew up here, they’re my team.

Newsflash: NOBODY SUPPORTS NORV AND AJ

There is not a single Charger fan you will find at this point willing defend the coach and gm for their continued mediocrity.

At this point we are fanbase of collective deer in the headlights as we stare at Dean Spanos waiting for him to pull the trigger on his obvious failure.

Whether is tomorrow, after the loss to the Chiefs, or at the end of the season, the only thing the Chargers fanbase is waiting for is those 2 heads to roll.

5. jjackwagon says: Oct 30, 2012 11:38 AM

Would love to see this game end 2-0 to the Chiefs. No touchdowns, no field goals. Maybe it would be the catalyst to send AJ & Norv packing. For the Chiefs, even a 2-0 victory won’t be enough to save Romeo or Pioli. It would make for a great Friday to see all four of them looking for work.

6. parkerfly says: Oct 30, 2012 11:39 AM

Why Spanos thought this would work just because they finished last season on an uptick is beyond me.

7. mrgroovesd says: Oct 30, 2012 11:43 AM

Just as chargerdillion said, I’m just like him…”San Diego Local, long time Charger fan, grew up here, they’re my team!”

It’s a catch 22 for the fans right now. We want the team to do well and try to make it to the big game but doing that would mean Norv and AJ stays…so it’s the hardest thing right now. We root for our team hoping they win cuz that’s what we want to see like any fan of a team but so hard to see them lose and only means AJ and Norv’s time is ticking slowly and the walking papers coming soon. I just hope they find a suitable GM/coach that can light a fire in the team.

8. thehatefulnerd says: Oct 30, 2012 12:04 PM

Has anyone ever done less with more?

9. sharksfan97 says: Oct 30, 2012 12:04 PM

I have something of a conspiracy theory here. I believe Spanos wants to move the team to LA. Maintaining mediocrity in SD makes it easier for the city to let them walk. When the Bolts end up in LA, they will then clean house and start with a fresh slate.

10. smacklayer says: Oct 30, 2012 12:10 PM

Norv Turner is a very good offiensive coordinator. He is also a very poor head coach. Just because you are good at one thing, doesn’t mean you are good at everything.

Other notable great coordinators who suck at head coach:
    Wade Philips
    Josh McDaniels
    Todd Haley
    Rex Ryan (that’s right, I went there).

11. klumpofbrownsadness says: Oct 30, 2012 12:15 PM

Sorry to have added to the suffering. As a Browns fan I feel your pain.

P.S. Sorry about your luck.

12. tindeaux says: Oct 30, 2012 12:17 PM

i hope we’ll lose to the chiefs. then the chargers will fire both norv and aj.
    It’s hard to imagine if you screwed up that bad and still hold on to your job and make millions… amazing!!!

13. houseofbacon says: Oct 30, 2012 12:29 PM

He and GM Smith need to go, immediately. When you have a team with Pro Bowl O-linemen, QB, WR, and one of the best RB’s of all-time and a consistently good defense – sometimes #1 in the league… and you struggle to make the postseason… you suck.

Not only that, they’ve managed to ship talent out of there as fast as possible while busting on every draft pick in the last several years, unless Mathews pulls it together anytime soon.

You let V-Jax walk. You let Cromartie go when you have zero CB depth. You let 3 Pro Bowl RB’s just wander out of the building:
    Michael Turner
    Darren Sproles
    Ladanian Freaking Tomlinson
    You give Philip Rivers a deserved extension, but give him literally nothing to work with. His only “weapons” are now Eddie Royal and Malcom Floyd, nothing has been done to provide a backup for aging Antonio Gates and Rivers gets all of 2 seconds behind a shaky O-line now to throw the ball.

14. dasmol says: Oct 30, 2012 12:32 PM

Win out, make the playoffs, win the SuperBowl and then fire Norv and AJ.

15. skinsfaninnebraska says: Oct 30, 2012 12:34 PM

To my dying day I will never understand how Norval Turner was given not one, but TWO, more HC jobs after his long years of consistent mediocrity in Washington. I feel your pain, Charger fans!

I’m sure he will go on to make some franchise a perfectly good OC, beginning next year and until he retires.

16. Punk says: Oct 30, 2012 1:05 PM

I would think that if Norv Turner were to have a conversation with a front office person it wouldn’t be to decide which direction they were going.

It would be to say “you’re fired”

17. kenstabler says: Oct 30, 2012 1:17 PM

I think Norv is hoping for a Holy Roller, because he is going to need one. If he loses to KC at home, he is probably done. Spanos looked completely disgusted after the browns game. The bolts have TB away, Den away, then Bal, Cincy and Pitt. I see that they can only win maybe at the best two out of those five. So even if they beat KC, they will be 6-7, and will have to sweep the last 3, Car, Nyj and Oak to have a chance at a wild card at 9-7. I don’t see it. It’s 8-8 and goodbye Norv Turner.

18. themackstrong says: Oct 30, 2012 1:20 PM

The Chargers lose Norv, they lose the 2nd best in the league Offensive Coordinator only behind Saints Peyton. I don’t think he is a good head coach just like others have posted. AJ Smith is the person to blame for the decline the past few years. No pass rushers outside of Phillips, no offensive line and your best WR is in Tampa Bay.

19. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 30, 2012 1:21 PM

Norv won’t answer his cellphone any more. Just in case.

20. peytonsneck18 says: Oct 30, 2012 1:30 PM

Other notable great coordinators who suck at head coach:
    Wade Philips
    Josh McDaniels
    Todd Haley
    Rex Ryan (that’s right, I went there).

u forgot romeo crannel

21. dvh1100 says: Oct 30, 2012 1:43 PM

Why did the Chargers get rid of Marty?

22. bobbyhoying says: Oct 30, 2012 1:57 PM

Here comes Andy Reid who has had his fill of Philly.

23. nflgiant says: Oct 30, 2012 2:04 PM

This team will be lucky to go 8-8,there is going to be a meltdown,and it will get ugly.Turner is finished.

24. ttoptom says: Oct 30, 2012 2:16 PM

Question: Has any other NFL head coach been fired in mid-season twice in his career?
    At least Norv would live on in the record books if he were the first.

25. araidersfan says: Oct 30, 2012 2:17 PM

About “Norv” Turner

– As a Raider fan I suffered while he contributed to running the team into the ground. So I can fully understand what Charger fan is going through (although as a rival, I can’t honestly say that I sympathize).

– I’ve always thought of Turner as an updated version of Rich Kotite.

– Despite his proven incompetence, I’m pretty sure that Turner will get yet another HC position in the future. The reason is that he is an accomplished brown-noser and well-connected to the league’s old boys network. That means a lot more than actual HCing ability. In contrast think of how an accomplished HC like the late George Allen was blackballed from another NFL HCing gig during the last dozen years of his life.

– To the fans who posted that that Turner is a ‘great’ OC (despite being an inept HC)….I have to dispute that as being myth rather than truth. Sure his buddy Troy Aikman endorses him but I believe that the Miami offense severely regressed when he was OC there. And of course he has managed to ruin the very good QB in inherited in San Diego (he is Rivers’ tutor).

26. icanspeel says: Oct 30, 2012 2:40 PM

mrgroovesd says: Oct 30, 2012 11:43 AM

——————————————-

@mrgroovesd. It’s not really a catch 22. The fans want Norv and AJ gone since they can’t make it to the big game. I think if they actually could make it to the big game most fans would like them again, but it probably won’t happen and thus I root for the Chargers and if they get eliminated expect to see Norv and AJ eliminate with them.

27. huffdaddyco says: Oct 30, 2012 2:40 PM

I think the headline is misleading as I don’t believe Norv is coaching at all.

28. datageek94 says: Oct 30, 2012 2:42 PM

dvh1100 – Good question.

Weren’t the Chargers 12-4 in the regular season the year that Marty was fired? Marty was fired as they were always great in the regular season, then underperformed in the playoffs. I think Norv’s had some superior teams to Marty’s, off to the annual 1-3 start, then coming on like a freight train to make the playoffs, then losing in the playoffs. I think I’d keep the coach that always had them winning, and work on things to help in the playoffs.

Norv Turner has to be the worst coach in the league. With the excellent teams he’s had, the annual ‘slow start.’ I don’t know how he’s kept the job.

29. ppc50 says: Oct 30, 2012 3:00 PM

I would rather have Turner as head coach in Dallas than Garrett any day

30. hor2012 says: Oct 30, 2012 3:41 PM

You know I’m not trying to be funny but I really think Norv Turner is a good coach. One of the problems may be that the talent level on the chargers may not be as good as people think. And, that’s on the GM not the coach. Another thing I think happen is Drew Breeze and Eli Manning. That was the worst thing that could have happened to Phillip Rivers. You can just see him pressing. At this point the best thing that could happen is for Rivers to be Traded and maybe it’s time for the chargers to start over.

31. thingamajig says: Oct 30, 2012 4:04 PM

I’m surprised it’s week to week and not day to day.

32. konichiwabtches says: Oct 30, 2012 6:24 PM

In tired of hearing about “if they win out”, or” if they get to this record
    It will get them into the playoffs”

News flash !!!
    Who cares if they get in …they are gonna get bounced out on their butts in the first round!!!
    we’ve seen what they are made of, and we’ve seen how they perform against better teams…they are done.

The best should hope for is that Matt Cassel looks like Matt Ryan on Thursday, KC blows them out, and Dean blows out Dumb & Dumber before the sun comes up Friday.
    Then we can loose out and draft a quarterback high in the first round.

33. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 30, 2012 7:53 PM

Don’t think “turkey neck” Turner will make it to Thanksgiving.

34. raiderapologist says: Oct 30, 2012 9:21 PM

It’s got to be pretty bad when Charger fan thinks they will lose to the Chiefs. Even Raider fan was fairly confident they wouldn’t lose to KC, and the Raiders are not very good.