Stokley: Thomas, Decker were mad that I stopped their celebration

Demaryius Thomas,  Eric Decker AP

Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley says he provided a little veteran leadership during Sunday night’s win over the Saints, preventing teammates Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker from a touchdown celebration that would have drawn a penalty flag.

Thomas scored a touchdown in the third quarter and tossed the ball to Decker, who stood under the goal post and was about to toss the ball back up in the air, where Thomas could grab it for an alley-oop dunk over the crossbar. But it’s a 15-yard penalty in the NFL for players to engage in coordinated touchdown celebrations, so when Stokley realized what Decker and Thomas were about to do, he ran behind Decker and stole the ball from him, cutting their celebration short.

The 36-year-old Stokley said the 25-year-old Decker and the 24-year-old Thomas were upset with him. But Stokley thinks part of the reason he’s on the Broncos is to be the mature one in the receiving corps.

“I mean, they were mad at me on the sideline for stopping them,” Stokley told Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “It’s tough being a dad sometimes, you know?”

Four years ago, Stokley did something similar when he stopped then-teammate Brandon Marshall from picking up a celebration penalty, and Stokley said he takes a little credit for helping to mentor Marshall, just as he’s now doing with Thomas and Decker.

“He’s doing great on his own,” Stokley said of Marshall. “Now, I’ve got these other two knuckleheads I’ve got to mold. These kids, nowadays. You’ve got to put them in timeout.”

And if putting them in timeout saves the Broncos 15 yards, Stokley is willing to be the bad guy. Which makes him a good leader.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Stokley: Thomas, Decker were mad that I stopped their celebration”
  1. notrelated says: Oct 30, 2012 10:44 AM

Yeah, I’d be mad if someone saved me from a penalty too.

….

2. nfloracle says: Oct 30, 2012 10:45 AM

I wish we had this guy in Carolina to mentor Cam Newton out of his Superman BS and towel on the head attention getters.

3. sparty0n says: Oct 30, 2012 10:46 AM

Execpt for the part about talking about it and degrading them….. sounds more like self-promotion than leadership

4. pixelito says: Oct 30, 2012 10:47 AM

That move by Stokley may have been the greatest play of the 2012 season.

5. nooittall says: Oct 30, 2012 10:47 AM

No doubt this is one of the reason’s that he is still around after 50 years in the league. Players like Stokley are too few and far between and every team should have a leader like him on their squad, even if he is older than dirt.

6. sportsmeccabi says: Oct 30, 2012 10:48 AM

There shouldn’t be excessive celebration penalties. It’s a game, not a political debate.

7. woodsa22 says: Oct 30, 2012 10:50 AM

All this being said, im certain that their kicker, in Denver, would still have blasted the kick off into the first row. That kid has a hoof.

8. bluestree says: Oct 30, 2012 10:51 AM

Isn’t really about the penalty in this case as it is teaching respect for the game. Taking a celebration penalty because you’re winning big shows major disrespect. It’s one thing if you catch the game winner…

9. Slim Charles says: Oct 30, 2012 10:51 AM

I can’t wait till everyone over 60 dies so people stop complaining about TD celebrations.

10. tiedyeguy says: Oct 30, 2012 10:52 AM

the real question is why we have allowed the NFL to artificially restrict the conduct of players when it does not harm the integrity nor the safety of anyone? If Stokely was anything other than a bully, he would have stood up for their celebration!

11. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Oct 30, 2012 10:54 AM

Tebow knew, that’s why he kept them in check last year by throwing uncatchable balls.

12. h3min1230 says: Oct 30, 2012 10:54 AM

I miss the old NFL.

13. beeroncos says: Oct 30, 2012 10:56 AM

Stoke is a welcome re-addition. Still has skills and he did the right thing breaking up the silliness.

14. crazycane says: Oct 30, 2012 10:58 AM

Good job Stokley! You stopped 2 second rate WR’s who are being made a a lot better when being throw to by a HOF QB in Manning from getting penalized.

15. jacunn2000 says: Oct 30, 2012 10:59 AM

They should have just dropped the ball and knelled at the knees of Manning. He makes anyone look good.

16. taintedsaints2009 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:04 AM

Those two must be getting awfully arrogant if they are planning their td celebrations. And if its true they got mad after stokely did this, that’s really immature.

17. dannythebisforbeast says: Oct 30, 2012 11:04 AM

He’s got a future in the league office

18. mz1394 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:05 AM

Stokley provides 2 things that EVERY nfl team could use more of maturity and smarts

19. randyschwimmer7 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:09 AM

He was right to stop the celebration. I just watched it and he got the ball away from Decker RIGHT before he was about to lob the ball up for DT to slam. DT was even about to start jumping and he saw Stokes bat the ball away and just ran off the field. Even if you are up 24-7, when you have Sproles back there to return a kick, it could have easily been 24-14 after that dumb penalty. Glad Stokes stopped it.

20. jessethegreat says: Oct 30, 2012 11:10 AM

Something tells me his message gets thru to these two a little stronger than it did with the B.M. Am I in the minority when I think: “let these young guys have fun, they weren’t hurting each other, their teammates, or the game.”

21. schmitty2 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:11 AM

Good ol Stoke. Who could forget the miracle tipped pass td he had against the Begals a few years ago?To this day I think Gus Johnson crapped himself making that call

22. tonyugoh says: Oct 30, 2012 11:14 AM

If Stokley didn’t stop them I’m sure Peyton would’ve given them an earful on the sideline. Back when he was in Indy, the Colts never used to haze rookies because they expected them to perform like veterans so they would treat them like vets.

23. jwisz says: Oct 30, 2012 11:15 AM

My respect level just went up for Brandon Stokley…big time! Way to be a leader, one day both of those guys will have the opportunity to pay if forward. Great story!

24. kwalk4780 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:16 AM

This WR combo is slowly becoming one of the better combos in the league. Even if they cant get their celebrations right. Peyton is molding them day by day. Watch out next year. You can coin the nickname of “Stumble and Fumble”.

25. beavertonsteve says: Oct 30, 2012 11:17 AM

I can accept a penalty for a hold, pass interference, or even a personal foul for sticking up for a teammate in a skirmish. These guys know the celebration rules and to intentionally put your team in a negative situation on the kickoff so you can hot dog it up for a second shows an absolute lack of respect for your teammates.

26. broncostevenp says: Oct 30, 2012 11:18 AM

I love Brandon stokley.

27. mike913 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:20 AM

“He’s doing great on his own,” Stokley said of Marshall.

oh yeah brandon marshall is such a great person obviously he never paid any attention when stokley mentored him

28. fuhq says: Oct 30, 2012 11:22 AM

sparty0n says:
    Oct 30, 2012 10:46 AM

I dissagree. Hopefully, by talking about it, players on other teams will follow his lead and do the same.
    Also, I’m tired of seeing a TE or Receiver celebrate a 1st down catch in the 1st quarter of a game. Or, watching a DL player dancing when they make a tackle near the line…ON 1ST DOWN!

29. educatedopinion2073 says: Oct 30, 2012 11:26 AM

Slim Charles says:
    Oct 30, 2012 10:51 AM

—————————————————-

Really, I can’t wait till everyone under 30 realizes that the world and everything in it does not revolve around them. To many celebrations: a tackle, a blocked pass, a ten yard run, every single routine play that an NFL player is expected to make. Jesus FN Christ, kids need to realize that all you did is your job, what you are getting paid to do. Act professional and go about your business. Spike the ball do a little dance then get off the field.

You can’t even begin to count the stupid celebrations just from this week. Gronkowski and his idiot taught of the Brits, is one that stands out as something epicly stupid. Yet if you watched Randy Moss get his first catch of the game on last night and turned what was surely a 12 yard gain into a 47 yard touchdown. and he does not go into some stupid elaborate TD celebration. Just a small move and points to his name.

It is a game but it is also a job that they are out there trying to make money. Think about it this way, if a fireman did some stupid dance after putting out turning on the hose to fight the fire, or better yet if a golfer started doing the salsa dance after making par, or even birdie. Celebrate after the work is done, not after every action that you do as part of the job.

30. keeppounding says: Oct 30, 2012 11:29 AM

31. infectorman says: Oct 30, 2012 11:29 AM

Wonder how would Decker and Thomas feel if the other teams “TO and Ocho” pulled off a choreographed celebration when they were getting their brains beat in on Sunday Nite Football in front of a Nat’l audience?.

Guess they’d probably think it was pretty cool and not even be concerned that they were receiving a colossal beat-down and being shown up by the other team.
    Tear a page outta Barry Sanders book, and act like you’ve been there before boys…

The Sports Center generation lives on…

32. dcdebacle says: Oct 30, 2012 11:34 AM

saving Marshall from that penalty was the second smartest thing stokes did that year. he also ran across the field, eating up clock in the waning seconds, on that amazing tipped pass touchdown against Cincinnati. you never know when an old, slow, white wide receiver will come in handy.

33. orangebluedonkey says: Oct 30, 2012 11:45 AM

Stokley is smart and with experience and age those knuckleheads will get it.Stupid penalties is just that. Stupid

34. jjackwagon says: Oct 30, 2012 11:46 AM

I can’t wait till everyone under 30 wakes the f up and realizes that they should act like a professional and have a little class. If you score a TD you should act like it’s no big deal because you have every intention of doing it again. Instead the “Look at me” generation acts like this may be the one and only time it ever happens.

35. joetoronto says: Oct 30, 2012 11:48 AM

This is a classic example of why you need veterans on your team.

Those two donkeys are probably still wondering what they did wrong.

36. qualityantiqueradios says: Oct 30, 2012 12:03 PM

I’m a bartender. I spike the shaker, twirl a lemon, and dance around the bar every time I make somebody’s drink properly.

37. arlingtonsynn says: Oct 30, 2012 12:06 PM

Notice that at the end of the game when Jimmy Graham scored, he simply tossed the ball to the ref and didn’t do his crossbar dunk.

You don’t celebrate when down big or when up big.

Stokely just saved Decker and DT an ass reaming from Peyton.

38. usmutts says: Oct 30, 2012 12:10 PM

This was a good play by Stokley. The second best play of the weekend came after Jimmy Graham caught a meaningless garbage-time touchdown in the beatdown by the Broncos. He simply threw the ball down, went straight to the sidelines and sat down, leaving out his usual celebratory crossbar dunk.

39. billyboehemian says: Oct 30, 2012 12:10 PM

Too bad he wasn’t there to stop Matt Prater from getting his tribal arm-band tat. Step it up, 14!

40. jessethegreat says: Oct 30, 2012 12:13 PM

A page from Barry Sanders’ book? Only reasons he never celebrated were because he barely reached the end zone and when he did, he was already out of gas from having spent half his time dancing behind the line of scrimmage. I’m sick of people putting Barry way up on this pedestal. He was no Sweetness or Emmitt. He is a quitter plain and simple.

41. tindeaux says: Oct 30, 2012 12:13 PM

good job, brandon. keep it up. you are there for a reason.

42. dillpx183 says: Oct 30, 2012 12:18 PM

they should start flagging for 1st down dances and dances for tackling someone behind the line of scrimmage. its not entertaining its stupid. College ball is just as entertaining without the circus crap.

Celebrations after a big hit on someonewho just caught a 25yrd pass also drives me nuts. Congrats you laid him out, too bad you were too worried about the hit (not tackle) that they just covered a 1/4 of the field on you. Idiots…

43. scotchrocks says: Oct 30, 2012 12:20 PM

I always find the people that say that TD celebrations are “disrespecting the game” funny. I also find the folks that say “act like you’ve been there before” equally hilarious.

44. theandy59 says: Oct 30, 2012 12:35 PM

I love what Stokely did because he saved his team from a meaningless penalty. There’s a rule against that sort of thing, so whether you like it or not, the players need to follow it.

Having said that, I really have no problem with celebrations after scores; I can’t stand guys who spend as much time thinking about celebrations as they do about actually scoring (talking to you, Ocho), but the rest seems harmless. And if anyone didn’t think Gronkowski’s “little nut-cracker dude..” routine wasn’t hilarious, they need to lighten up a bit.

45. grandmachine says: Oct 30, 2012 12:37 PM

I’ve seen him stop Brandon Marshall’s TD celebration against the Browns a few years back. My level of respect for Stokley soared. Every team should have a player like Stokley. Sure, he’s not the player like he was a few years ago, but a little veteran leadership and showing by example can go a long way for the young guys. There’s nothing with celebrating when scoring a TD, but you shouldn’t be jeopardizing your team by going over the top. We’ve seen it happen at it costs some teams a game.

46. jasoncnz says: Oct 30, 2012 12:45 PM

Way to go Stoke! Hopefully those 2 kids learn alot from you!!!

47. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 30, 2012 12:48 PM

Maybe they should Tebow in the endzone next time and see how that works out.

48. insanelomein2 says: Oct 30, 2012 12:52 PM

If you’re still catching touchdowns from Tebow then sure do an elaborate celebration since good throws are few and far between.

If you’re catching touchdowns from Manning then no need to have a planned out celebration. Manning makes the mediocre look great .

49. gpry says: Oct 30, 2012 12:54 PM

@tiedyeguy…Stokley a bully??? Ye must be a pansy Democrat

50. dgforreal says: Oct 30, 2012 1:12 PM

He saved them from Peyton, I’m sure he would have ripped them a new one if they drew that penalty.

51. hadjiali says: Oct 30, 2012 1:16 PM

@jesse

You obviously never watched Barry play. But you’re right about one thing: he wasn’t Sweetness or Emmitt. With due respect to those 2, Barry was better, plain and simple.

52. winkeroni says: Oct 30, 2012 1:16 PM

Flags should be thrown only in the event that a celebration is awful. If a dude is gyrating like Elvis, throw a flag!!!!

53. drewfl says: Oct 30, 2012 1:24 PM

meh.. 2 young receivers just having a good time. I don’t see the big deal

54. granadafan says: Oct 30, 2012 1:34 PM

“keeppounding says:
    Oct 30, 2012 11:29 AM
    I agree with Stokely and what he did. That being said. I think clever touchdown celebrations at very entertaining. Why not let them enjoy themselves. Again, I liked the leadership and what he did. I also would have enjoyed the celebration they wanted to try.”
    ======================================

Why not let themselves enjoy themselves??? Because it would have been a penalty!! If you’re a donkey fan, how happy would you have been if the ref penalized them 15 yards for their “clever touchdown celebration” (your words)? Read your post again and see the fallacy of your argument. I don’t like the NFL’s stance on celebrations, but those are the rules.

PS, Stokley also saved those two knucklehead from Peyton’s wrath.

55. mack2x says: Oct 30, 2012 1:38 PM

“scotchrocks”- You seem to be easily amused

56. scotchrocks says: Oct 30, 2012 1:55 PM

hadjiali says:

“And excessive TD celebrations are for children and classless buffoons who forget that football is the ultimate TEAM sport.”

—————————————-

Just as I said before, hilarious.

Would it be less classless if the entire team was involved? Or would that make it even more excessive?

57. scotchrocks says: Oct 30, 2012 2:03 PM

mack2x says:

“scotchrocks”- You seem to be easily amused

————————————–

I do enjoy a good laugh.

But my larger point is, that if you put scoring a TD in the context of the tens of millions (hundreds maybe?) of people that love the game, being one of the thousands that can actually do it, I’d celebrate each and everytime.

There’s also the point of Not For Long. So acting as if you are guaranteed the opportunity to score a TD again, seems to disregard how quickly a career can end.

*Marcus Lattimore head nod*

58. sagnam says: Oct 30, 2012 2:17 PM

I’m in my 30’s and I think touchdown celebrations are stupid.

59. CKL says: Oct 30, 2012 2:17 PM

Slim Charles says:
    Oct 30, 2012 10:51 AM
    ___________________________________
    We old timers (I’m not close to 60, but this still applies) will be happy to comply if all you young’uns with your love for “swagger” (puke) and strutting around the field celebrating routine plays when your team is losing and trash talking to the media after losses do the same.

60. ttoptom says: Oct 30, 2012 2:23 PM

I have to agree with the main point of “educatedopinion2073″: I watched the Arizona/49ers game last night and one of the Card’s DT made a sack in the 4th quarter with the score down 24-3 and decided to strike a WWF pose. Really? Do you realize just how bad you suck?
    Ego does not equal Pride.

61. protagoras111 says: Oct 30, 2012 2:25 PM

Decker slides to avoid potentially big hits (see game against Texans). Now he has a coordinated TD celebration? Chump.

62. axespray says: Oct 30, 2012 2:28 PM

Dude showed some Bart Starr type of leadership… keeping his soldiers in line and focused on winning.

63. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 30, 2012 3:16 PM

They were “hopping” mad.

64. mattacognition1 says: Oct 30, 2012 6:58 PM

This ain’t your grandpa’s league folks. Celebrations equal TV facetime, facetime equals money. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. It seems to me like the league’s ratings and profits are perpetually skyrocketing. If you have a problem with the “buffoonery” then send a message to the league and stop watching. Yeah, I didn’t think so. Go complain elsewhere about how the league was better before the 24-7 media circus. An NFL messageboard on the web is probably not your ideal forum.
    P.S.
    If you read all the posts before mine then you have spent a good chunk of time contemplating an event that lasted all of 10 seconds. You know each of the players names involved too, huh?
    Exactly.