Titans don’t seem interested in trading Jared Cook

Indianapolis Colts v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Titans tight end Jared Cook may want a trade, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to get one.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said he’s not interested in moving Cook, who he sees as part of the team’s plans.

“I am not going to comment on that. That is not my decision to make, but I don’t see that happening, no,” Munchak said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I don’t see why we would do that. I don’t follow that. The agent is calling to stir the pot. This is not the time for those things.

“Jared is a big part of our team. Jared has made a lot of great catches for us this year. Jared’s our [third] leading receiver. We know for us to win games we need him making plays for us, so for me it’s not something I’ve thought about at all, so I am hoping it is not on his mind either.”

What may be on his mind, and the mind of his agent, is that he’s entering the final year of his rookie deal, and it’s time to get paid.

But playing time is also a factor, as Cook has been on the field for fewer than 50 percent of the Titans offensive snaps in six of eight games, including two he was limited in because of a shoulder injury.

Munchak said they want to get him more involved, which could help smooth things over.

“We are all frustrated. I am frustrated, too. I hope everyone is frustrated. I hope we all think we can do more, because we all can do more, every one of us, the coaching staff on down. We’re 3-5, and that’s not good enough. And that includes every one of us,” Munchak said. “Frustration means work your way through it and let’s find a way to turn this around and get to 5-5, that is where the frustration should be used.”

Cook has 28 catches for 373 yards and two touchdowns, a similar pace to last year’s 49-759-3 line. Since the beginning of 2011, only Rob Gronkowski has more receiving yards by a tight end.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
8 Responses to “Titans don’t seem interested in trading Jared Cook”
  1. f00sballfan says: Oct 30, 2012 9:53 AM

Maybe if Cook could run block worth half a shart he’d be more involved in the offense. As it is he’s a WR lining up next to the offensive line.

Thankfully, Palmer finally wised up and starting going back to a more traditional offense and dropped the spread offense junk like the bad habit it had been.

2. Marv says: Oct 30, 2012 10:29 AM

That last sentence screams for healthier versions of Hernandez and Graham.

3. flipola says: Oct 30, 2012 10:30 AM

Hopefully they’ll appease him enough henceforth so he’ll re-sign. I’d hate for them to let him walk in the offseason and have nothing to show for it.

4. bechillin says: Oct 30, 2012 10:41 AM

palmer is a terrible offensive coordinator, this offense should be scoring atleast 24 per game

5. wikipediasaidso says: Oct 30, 2012 10:59 AM

The Titans claim they didn’t use Cook — one of their most imposing players to match up with — on a reasonable amount of snaps Sunday because they had TE Stevens in the game more for their 1-TE run sets. So how hard can it be for NFL defenses to figure out what they’re doing after based on the sets/personnel?

I miss the days when Heimerdinger could make a lot of stuff happen out of those 2-TE sets, even if one of the TEs wasn’t particularly known for his run blocking.

I like Munchak, but have no faith in either of his coordinators. Don’t blame Munch for wanting to give them an opportunity to show what they could do with a normal offseason since they didn’t get that in year 1, but now we know. The results are pretty bad on both sides of the ball.

6. Pat says: Oct 30, 2012 1:54 PM

only Gronk has more receiving yards by a TE since 2011? where are you getting your stats?

7. baily67 says: Oct 30, 2012 3:02 PM

I think the Titans need two new coordinators after this season. neither is doing their job and if I have to go through another season of this mediocrity, I’m going to cry!

8. titansbro says: Oct 30, 2012 3:12 PM

————————————————

Are you serious with this? No way that last sentence is correct. I mean, Jimmy Graham had 1,310 yards in 2011 alone, not to mention the 356 yards in 2012.

1,310 > 759 + 373