DeAngelo Hall: I’m a great guy, ref is equally at fault for incident

Washington Redskins v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall was ejected from Sunday’s game against the Steelers for a confrontation with an official, and he likely faces a hefty fine. But Hall says any discipline he faces should be handed out to the official as well.

Hall said on 106.7 The Fan that head linesman Dana McKenzie was giving just as good as he got in their verbal exchange. It sure didn’t look that way on TV — it looked like Hall was screaming in McKenzie’s face and sticking his finger about an inch from McKenzie’s nose, and that McKenzie was showing admirable restraint — but Hall said the TV angles were deceiving.

“From that particular camera angle you can’t see what that ref’s saying to me,” Hall said, via the Washington Post. “So it looks like I’m just out there giving him a piece of my mind and he’s smiling and walks away. And that’s not the case at all. He’s dishing it out just as much as I’m dishing it out.”

“It was just a back and forth between me and that particular ref,” Hall said. “And I can’t go into too many details because it’s still under review. But that’s kind of how it took place. If you look at the TV copy, you can only see me. That’s why we’re trying to get other copies and other angles so you can see both sides. But me and the ref was equally at fault on that particular play.”

“I’m not a criminal. I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I’m a great guy. Like I said, off the field I’m a different person, you know what I mean, than I am on the field,” Hall said. “We’re just trying to get every point of view, make sure we get as much proof as possible that happened in that situation and bring it to the forefront so we can come up with the right solution handed down to both sides.”

Hall was upset that Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders took a shot at him and wasn’t flagged for it, and Hall says he’s also upset about the way the officials treat him.

“Nobody is going out there trying to bully the referees and likewise, they shouldn’t be out there trying to bully us,” Hall said.

Hall is right that the officials shouldn’t try to bully the players. But it sure didn’t look like the official in question was trying to bully Hall. It looked like the official was doing his job, and Hall was acting like a jerk.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
71 Responses to “DeAngelo Hall: I’m a great guy, ref is equally at fault for incident”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Oct 31, 2012 11:14 AM

No you’re not … and no he isn’t.

2. radtrigger says: Oct 31, 2012 11:15 AM

“DeAngelowned Hall is a great guy and player” – Said nobody, ever.

3. bigbadal21 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:17 AM

If you got to tell someone you’re a great guy, you’re usually not.

4. ralphiepower says: Oct 31, 2012 11:17 AM

So if you have never been in trouble with the law that makes you a great guy?

Wow!

5. ninjapleazee says: Oct 31, 2012 11:19 AM

Me-Angelo Hall at it again.

6. bleedbattlered says: Oct 31, 2012 11:20 AM

Those darn referees bullying all those big bad players..Shut up Deangelo

7. cow395 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:21 AM

shut up Deangelo

8. granadafan says: Oct 31, 2012 11:22 AM

NFL refs are not like baseball umps where they have a gigantic chip on their shoulder and refuse to acknowledge any mistake whatsoever and antagonize players/managers. Perhaps Dana McKenzie is reffing the wrong sport with his short fuse.

9. Rockie D. Bull says: Oct 31, 2012 11:23 AM

Hall is solidifying his place in the Hall of Fame as “The Jerk of Jerks”. Its never his fault; here he goes again making another excuse for himself and his behavior while not understanding that “the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters”.

10. S.Nevada says: Oct 31, 2012 11:23 AM

Sure, whatever.

Please stop speaking until you can limit a receiver to fewer than 100 ypg or less than 1 tdpg.

In other words, I’d like to not hear from you for the rest of your Redskins-playing days.

11. waitingguilty says: Oct 31, 2012 11:25 AM

This is all well and good, but what we need is more info on if Tebow is getting traded and whether or not Vick is still the starter in PHI.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 31, 2012 11:27 AM

So I guess the word choice from the ref would have been MUCH stronger, you know to make up for the fact that he wasn’t putting in the same body language efforts and getting in Halls face by approaching him. Can’t wait to hear the transcripts of this bullying language the referee used in rebuttal to Hall approaching him in an intimidating way.

13. skins1982 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:28 AM

Sorry D Hall but you’re not and the stat geek websites consistantly have you ranked as the worst cb in football. You’ve given up almost 500 yds by yourself with 6 td’s to go along with it. You’re a knucklehead and if you were a good cb we’d put uup with it but you’re not. stats dont lie brother

14. httr73 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:31 AM

Please NFL…issue whatever punishment you are going to give so we can move on from this story.

15. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 31, 2012 11:32 AM

Shut up Delgado.

16. taintedlombardis says: Oct 31, 2012 11:33 AM

I love comments from idiots that don’t even know what was said, or even know what Hall is really like. Hate to side with Hall, but there should have been a flag as the receivers hands were all up in his helmet, but since the Skins have been put on the same blacklist that the Raiders are on (due to owners of lesser markets hating the way the Skins drive up players salary and the price of the franchise tag $$$), it seems teams are allowed to play them any way they want with total disregard of the rules yet the Skins are called for the slightest infraction (usually to negate a big play), real or perceived (exhibit A the Giants game).

17. halfie6 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:36 AM

I’m a Redskins fan, but I’m also a referee and DeAngelo’s comments show an amazing lack of perspective. When the ref tells you to zip it up and move back… you do it. Period. If you don’t, and trouble rains down on your head, there’s only one person who’s to blame and he’s not holding a whistle.

18. Steeley McBeam says: Oct 31, 2012 11:37 AM

I live in DC and I dont even know a single Redskins fan who likes this guy, letalone a fan of another team who can look at him objectively.

19. electionconfidential says: Oct 31, 2012 11:38 AM

Reminds me of Chris Rock’s routine about his uncle whose great boast is that he’s never been in jail. Some of these guys are climbing a very low mountain…

20. oranjellojones says: Oct 31, 2012 11:38 AM

I’m not buying his reason as an EXCUSE because there is no excusing his behavior. He has a huge track record of this kind of drama queen verbal abuse of refs, other players and opposing coaches. So no matter what the ref might or might not have said he gets no slack or pass from this redskins fan. Bench or suspend his butt!

That said I believe that the ref was trying to play the heavy. I saw one of the side judges absolutely screaming and getting chesty with Shanahan at one point saying “I said get back in the box! I am sick of!!…” then turned and moved out of mic range. Not saying Shanahan probably didn’t have it coming but that Side Judge’s demeanor was a bit starling to see that raw and live from an NFL “pro”, it was way beyond a ref keeping his composure (the tone and rage in his face was anything but professional) and makes Hall’s take a lot more believable.

Still no excuse for Hall though, he let his team down with his behavior once again, let alone how poor his play has consistently been. Who gives crap if he’s been a “good citizen”? That’s irrelevant to his team’s success and is what’s expected of a citizen and grown adult. MOST of us haven’t had run ins with the law outside of a traffic ticket.

21. jm91rs says: Oct 31, 2012 11:39 AM

I’d think if you’re Hall, the one thing you DON’T WANT the league doing is considering what kind of person you are. He’s been running his mouth for years, if the league thinks about that they’ll suspend him for sure.

22. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: Oct 31, 2012 11:39 AM

Not getting arrested doesn’t mean you’re a good person. I was thrilled when he left the NFC south because I was tired of him picking fights with Bucs players every time they played. He deserves a massive fine in my opinion.

23. Slim Charles says: Oct 31, 2012 11:40 AM

Deangelo Hall is an all-time great simply because of how he annoys self-righteous sports fans.

24. cereal blogger says: Oct 31, 2012 11:41 AM

DeAngelo Hall is terrible, talk about most overrated. Honestly, I dont think he’d be the best corner in the league in the CFL…..all he is, is speed & talk

25. metalman5150 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:43 AM

What about the ref ignoring a blatant foul?? The entire reason that Hall became agitated to begin with.
    HALL was not flagged for removing his helmet because his helmet was partially already off due to E. Sanders mugging hall and then body slamming him.
    Why do you not mention any of this?>??>>

26. taintedlombardis says: Oct 31, 2012 11:45 AM

After watching the regular refs thus far, I’m not sure they’re that much better than the replacements. The difference is the flow of the game. When a regular ref makes a bad call, they quickly move on with the game. The replacements would have a huddle, break, huddle up again, and then still get it wrong.

Perfect example of selective enforcement in what I believe was the Chargers-Broncos Monday night game. Phillip Rivers was flagged like three times for motioning his hands before the snap. the announcers went on and on about how that is going to be a point of emphasis. I was watching the Patriots game the very next Sunday and Tom Brady does it almost every snap (he’s not the only one). There is no consistency in the league. It makes you wonder…

27. metalman5150 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:46 AM

Jeff Fisher calls out the refs for terrible officiating. Do you think Jeff Fisher is a jerk?
    Bill Billecheck grabs a ref after the game is over – does that mean that Billicheck is a criminal?
    It’s an upside-down kingdom, the NFL. Officials should protect the players but clearly some players and teams are more protected by the Officials than others.

28. tindeaux says: Oct 31, 2012 11:47 AM

It’s hard to imagine that the ref decided to start talking smack to a player, in this case, mr. Hall.

Perhaps, Mr. Hall’s definition of a “great guy” is limited due to those he sees around him.

29. Stiller43 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:49 AM

I would love to see evidence of this “shot” sanders gave hall…

And how said “shot” makes it okay to take your helmet off and start screaming and (looking like he was) threatening the ref.

30. pixelito says: Oct 31, 2012 11:52 AM

I’d like to see a pencil-neck lawyer tell Hall he’s a jerk to his face :0

31. commonsensedude says: Oct 31, 2012 11:52 AM

I think the NFL really needs to consider the impact that a DeAngelo Hall suspension would have on the rest of the league. All of the quarterbacks who will face the Redskins in the second half of the season will have dramatically lower completion percentages if he’s not playing corner for Washington. The league would be punishing all those innocent QBs along with Hall.

32. metalman5150 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:53 AM

The best slave is a slave who thinks he is free.
    You may think that Hall cost his team something and while Hall was flagged twice for that one incident, the Skins never had a shot at winning that football game against the Steelers. The steelers obviously are a better football team. Reasons include, they were at home and they were only penalized 3 times. I appreciate what Hall did because Hall’s emotions during his tirade reflect my emotions as a Skins fan over the past two games and also that Falcons/Rams game: Frustration over the lack of equal officiating, the dichotomy over player safety and home-field advantage.

33. cubano76 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:03 PM

You might be a great guy, but all we see if a selfish, arrogant, me first player making millions of dollars. Hard for us to see past that. Perception is perception Mr. Hall.

34. flakeybiscuits says: Oct 31, 2012 12:03 PM

I don’t care what that ref says to you. No matter what, you walk away. Its selfish to cost your team a penalty like that.

35. stealthjunk says: Oct 31, 2012 12:04 PM

Best BS defense I’ve heard since “If the glove don’t fit, you must acquit!”

36. djcologne says: Oct 31, 2012 12:05 PM

Deangerfield….what a comedian! Are you kidding….”a good guy”? OJ Simpson was a good guy too. You’re just a miniture version of that over stuffed windbag Warren Sapp…..

37. norseyapper says: Oct 31, 2012 12:07 PM

Thing is Dealngelo, it isn’t a level playing field with players and the refs. Never was nor was it ever intended to be. They are in charge and you are supposed to respect them, not so much the other way around.

As for a ref yelling at Shanahan that, “he’s sick of it” that ref should be disciplined by the league. If you’ve told ‘em and told ‘em and they don’t do what they’re supposed to do…throw the flag! If it isn’t worth a flag then shut up.

38. skinsfaninnebraska says: Oct 31, 2012 12:14 PM

Hall carried his argument way too far, obviously, but the play should have drawn a flag against Pittsburgh. The WR that was “blocking” Hall grabbed him and pulled him down with a move that would have made Hulk Hogan proud.

Watching the replay on Game Rewind, I don’t see how the zebras could possibly have missed seeing it.

Had the officials made the call in the first place, there would have been no need for the outburst that followed.

I’m not saying what Hall did was right, but the stripes blew an obvious and blatant penalty call and that’s what started the whole mess.

39. pftwstbshmc says: Oct 31, 2012 12:15 PM

Slim Charles says:
    Oct 31, 2012 11:40 AM

Judging by the thumbs down votes most of the people on here just don’t “get it”. But I for one think that is one of the funniest things I have read here in quite some time – thanks.

As for the write-up I don’t understand why the league doesn’t have some kind of faction that oversees the officials and hands out penalties to them. I did not see this particular incident, but have seen many others in the past where like Hall says the official was just as much (and in some cases MORE) at fault as the player. Yet you NEVER hear about an official being fined, suspended or otherwise talked to by the league.

I watch a lot of football and can only wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a horrible call made or those that were not I would be able to put my kids through college and pay off my mortgage.

But the officials are NEVER wrong and the league will NEVER do what is right and hold them accountable for what they do that affects the outcome of a game.

Good thing I’m not part of the NFL. My wallet would be lighter for exercising my right as a U.S. citizen to express my opinion…. I really feel bad for anyone in the league that has to put up with that B.S. and wonder why they don’t sue the league for it.

40. melikefootball says: Oct 31, 2012 12:15 PM

You showed what a great guy you were Sunday, by jumping up and taking off your helmet and continued to go at the official. As the play showed Sanders went into block you and you did not like it so you took him to the ground. Proffesional only in the sense you are getting paid to play a game not because you characterize a proffesionasl in the activity of the profession of football.

41. mrplow3 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:17 PM

“DeAngelowned Hall is a great guy and player” – Said nobody, ever.”

This made me laugh out loud.

42. paul82461 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:21 PM

He’s a legend in his own mind.

43. sikologik says: Oct 31, 2012 12:26 PM

jm91rs says:
    Oct 31, 2012 11:39 AM

as a Redskins fan, I hope they do suspend him, so the coaching staff can figure out how useless he is and send him on his way. Granted, our defensive backfield is as just paltry this year, but that just means it’s time for a complete overhaul. D Hall has been the weakest link in that backfield since he arrived, and letting him go won’t cause me to lose any sleep….

44. dutzer36 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:32 PM

A sign of a loser is when he gets in trouble he finds the need to share it with someone else!

45. boyshole25 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:36 PM

Shut up deangelo

46. packerhater says: Oct 31, 2012 12:40 PM

He sounds like a Packer or their fans. Refs fault.

47. hehateme2 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:49 PM

FAIL!

48. bigjdve says: Oct 31, 2012 12:50 PM

There was a blatant call, and while it would’ve have changed the game, it still should’ve been called.

That being stated, you never win a fight with the referees, ever, no matter right or wrong, you have lost as soon as you have begun.

You need to go through the proper channels.

Regarding DHall being a good guy, I think that he forgets that every week he is the middle of pretty much every scuffle that starts, because of his mouth.

49. brettfavresmidget says: Oct 31, 2012 1:03 PM

I’d like to have seen DerAngelo do that to Ed Hochuli and his 24″ pythons.

50. chitown26 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:15 PM

DeAngelo Fall needs to be working at What-a-Burger

51. metalman5150 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:19 PM

The NFL is a business. Players are employees of their respective teams. As any good business associate would do for the good of the integrity of the business, standing up to and questioning watch-dogs of the employees should be seen as a warming sight.
    BUT apparently, we live in a world where the best business practice is to turn a blind-eye to the atrocities of those whom are entrusted to make sure that everybody plays by the rules.
    GO TEAM GO

52. kingpel says: Oct 31, 2012 1:20 PM

Well there you have it. A totally unbiased perspective from D Hall. as far as I am concerned this is a non story.

53. tinopuno says: Oct 31, 2012 1:31 PM

“Hall also indicated that he wants the league office to consider what kind of person he is.”

Seriously Angelo, do you think that’s a good idea?

54. tdubdizzle says: Oct 31, 2012 1:31 PM

What an…IDIOT!

55. azarkhan says: Oct 31, 2012 1:36 PM

Hall must have too much guaranteed money for Shanahan to cut him. Here’s hoping for a one game suspension.

56. oldirtyman says: Oct 31, 2012 1:36 PM

Hall was upset that Sanders made him look like a weak punk!

57. billhicks666 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:40 PM

So the ref was giving as good as he was taking, eh MeAngelo? I guess we can add “Liar” to the list of negative things that apply to you, MeAngelo.

58. taintedlombardis says: Oct 31, 2012 1:45 PM

I also don’t think he’s half as bad as most people perceive. The scheme he plays in almost always puts him out of position. Haslett is the problem.

59. lowtalker says: Oct 31, 2012 2:09 PM

maybe we should ask Warren Moon if he thinks Hall was treated fairly!

60. skinsfanwill says: Oct 31, 2012 2:23 PM

Forget Hall, Fire Jim Haslett for leaving Hall in one on one coverage all season long. He is worse than Hall.

61. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:29 PM

“Hall said he’s hoping to show the league office a different angle of the incident before the league determines any punishment.”

What the angle from fantasyland ?

62. slew55 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:47 PM

Actually, Sanders never touched Hall at all. It just looks that way from that particular camera angle. This was all just a big mistake…..

63. cliffordc05 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:48 PM

Another confrontation with a hard head that is all about ‘respect’. Hall should be suspended and fined. He continues to be a disgrace.

64. painsyndicate says: Oct 31, 2012 2:54 PM

Deangelo, you are a clown show. You were just sad because your ego got stomped by a WR. Take it out on the ref who looked ready to clean your clock too.

65. snowpyle says: Oct 31, 2012 3:52 PM

You also said you let the giants score a 77 yd toucchdown. It wasn,t Elli it was that they didn,t cover. put a sock in it

66. vavikingfan says: Oct 31, 2012 4:08 PM

I’m having a pity party for DeAngelo tonight~~please RSVP

67. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Oct 31, 2012 4:14 PM

He was just tired of being scorched by the steelers wrs all day and took it out on the only person he could- a defenseless ref

68. teedraper says: Oct 31, 2012 5:12 PM

He’s better guy than all of you losers that say he isn’t yet make comments as if you’ve known him forever.

69. jfinn5 says: Oct 31, 2012 9:54 PM

Good old Rodger will never side with a player. Look at his track record. Hall will never get a fair hearing.

70. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 31, 2012 10:31 PM

DeAngelo is a great guy just like me. Sincerely, Ndamukong Suh

71. bigjdve says: Nov 1, 2012 1:00 PM

jfinn5: Just how is Goodell let alone anyone reasonable supposed to side with Hall on this?