Mario Williams says Texans forced him into free agency

Mario Williams AP

As the Bills prepare to play the Texans, defensive end Mario Williams will get his first shot at the team that made him the first pick in the 2006 draft, shots are being fired.

“I didn’t want to enter free agency in the first place, but it was a one-way door given to me by the G.M. to leave Houston,” Williams tells FOX 26 Sports. “I want the fans there to know entering free agency was not my decision.”

The fans will surely let him know what they think of the situation when he returns on Sunday.

“The way things ended, I definitely feel like it was kind of a rough and all-of-the-sudden goodbye,” Williams said. “There’s some things that I’m definitely uneasy about, the final decision making that happened there. It was just the way it was handled.”

The Texans could have prevented Williams from becoming a free agent by using the franchise tag, but that would have cost more than $20 million for one season, both in cash and cap dollars. And that’s far more than the Texans could have justified giving to a 3-4 outside linebacker who was good but not great.

Actually, Texans fans should have no hard feelings toward Williams. He got a far better deal in Buffalo than he ever would’ve gotten in Houston, and the Texans aren’t exactly struggling without him.

Still, Williams knows things could get interesting, and he welcomes that.  Especially from former teammate Antonio Smith.

“Antonio is always picking and prodding,” Williams said. “He’s definitely trying to add fuel to the fire, but nothing is going to add more fuel to the fire than myself and the help of, I’ll guess I’ll say, a select few people who run their mouth and talk crap.

“The one thing that I enjoy and that I look forward to is people adding fuel to the fire. So I welcome all the newcomers as far as jumping on the bandwagon.”

Given the performance of the Bills, it’s likely the only Mario-related bandwagon on which anyone will be jumping this year.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Mario Williams says Texans forced him into free agency”
  1. kattykathy says: Oct 31, 2012 1:24 PM

If Mario could have waited he would have been a part of a Super Bowl winner later when the Texans roll in and out of New Awlins.

Now he is just an overpaid 1/53 piece of mediocrity.

2. srose3rd says: Oct 31, 2012 1:25 PM

“I didn’t want to enter free agency in the first place”

…. who out there really believes that? Um, no one….

3. wwwmattcom says: Oct 31, 2012 1:27 PM

His huge salary is the only reason anyone is talking about him. The real story is a franchise that thought they got a good deal. This seems like a non story but just a prompt to hate.

4. dawsonleery says: Oct 31, 2012 1:29 PM

Only 2 times in Mario Williams career did he have double digit sacks, he’s a solid player not elite, never was. The money he is making is insane.

5. TheMansiere says: Oct 31, 2012 1:31 PM

It’s almost about time to to ask if Mario Williams can simply go away. The constant stream of non-sense and whining is becoming a really tough to take.

6. icanspeel says: Oct 31, 2012 1:31 PM

It’s still early, but so far looks like Texans made the right choice.

7. metalman5150 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:31 PM

That’s the way of the League given Free Agency Era. Teams are unable to keep players for the entire length of their careers.

8. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 31, 2012 1:32 PM

Just trying to make himself relevant again…. not doing it on the field, that’s for sure

9. ghostofnflpresent says: Oct 31, 2012 1:35 PM

Last time I looked, the Bills dress 53 players and are a team. Cut the guy slack, he plays for the Bills…and THEY ARE NOT GOOD!

10. chillyp says: Oct 31, 2012 1:39 PM

Don’t worry Mario, I think you’ll be testing Free Agency again here shortly, but your price tag will be considerable lower the next time. #FACT

11. terraj35 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:41 PM

Another over paid, injury prone player making excuses. I’d be pissed if I was a Bills fan. Terrible team paying a ton of money and their big offseason move already sounding like he regrets signing with Buffalo. Just another day in the life of a Bills fan

12. rea1talk says: Oct 31, 2012 1:41 PM

……New Jersey Jets

13. rxv5854 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:41 PM

Seems to me there GM was smart enough to realize he isn’t the impact player the Bills oragnization thought he was.

14. 4thquartermagic says: Oct 31, 2012 1:42 PM

Based upon his crappy production combined with his outrageous contract, I can’t imagine why Houston would do such a thing!

15. durant0s says: Oct 31, 2012 1:43 PM

Mario Williams is a joke, always was and always will be. the greatest thing to ever happen to Mario Williams was that VY was a bust and Reggie Bush never turned into who he was supposed to. Mario Williams has never at any point in his career been an elite player worthy of a #1 overall pick, at best he was above average. DeMeco Ryans (our second roun pick in the same 2006 deaft) did infinately more for our team during his time here then Mario ever did. Letting Mario walk was probably the greatest move to date in Texans history (including signed undrafted Arian Foster).

16. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Oct 31, 2012 1:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay Mario. I loved ya bro but you only got double digit sacks for the Texans like once? maybe twice? The biggest problem resigning you was the odd hype machine that was built around you. It wasn’t huge but it certainly was there. Dude’s easy going and addicted to video games and I like that. I hope he enjoys being worth 9 figures and gets a ton of sacks sooner or later

17. joetoronto says: Oct 31, 2012 1:49 PM

We all know you took the highest deal out there, Mario.

You went to Buffalo, remember?

18. Akula says: Oct 31, 2012 1:50 PM

31 other teams and he only visits Buffalo????

It’s always about the money.

19. scrp2 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:52 PM

Buffalo fans must reminisce on the glory days when Wade Phillips was coach.

20. mvp43 says: Oct 31, 2012 1:54 PM

Umm……….actually Mario, you’re salary demands forced free agency.

21. davetexansfan says: Oct 31, 2012 1:55 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Boo Hoo Mario! So sorry the Texans “made” you go visit Buffalo (and not anywhere else FYI) and “forced” you to sign a $100 million dollar contract. C’mon dude. Man up. You’re a sell-out just like a lot of players in the league. It’s only been 8 weeks and he’s already coming back crying to us. It’s your own fault. You should took a “home-town” discount and the “team that will actually make the playoffs” discount and stuck in Houston. Nobody gives a damn about you now. Can’t wait for you to come into H-Town and have to leave with your tail between your legs and the entire state of Texas booing you. Have fun doing nothing with your career Mediocre Mario.

22. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 31, 2012 1:55 PM

Superbowl ring count-

Reggie Bush = 1
    Mario Williams = 0

but great move choosing him with the #1 overall pick.

23. theenutty says: Oct 31, 2012 1:57 PM

Pretty sure Texans fans dont care about Mario Williams anymore. They now have what Williams was supposed to be and never was with JJ Watt. The only one who is crying is Mario Williams.

24. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 31, 2012 1:58 PM

To paraphrase the late Sir Winston Churchill “never has a team paid so much for a player that has produced so little.”

25. billsin20xx says: Oct 31, 2012 1:58 PM

C’mon give him a break, this might be his comeback! he is actually talking and sounding exited!!! He’s alive!!!! LOL, until he hurts his wristy again…….

26. nytroutdog says: Oct 31, 2012 1:58 PM

I’m a Bills fan and what sticks out to me about Mario this far is twofold: he plays full speed about 10% of the time and he is quiet when he should be vocal and vocal when he should be quiet. I hope he commits to the game and learns moving forward.

27. bangitfootball says: Oct 31, 2012 2:00 PM

Well he got what he wanted. A good but outrageously overpaid player on a bad team. He choose Buffalo. He threw away a super bowl ring for the money but a lot would of done the same thing.

28. srcnsd says: Oct 31, 2012 2:01 PM

29. mz1394 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:08 PM

mario williams doesnt care about your expectations just ask him

30. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:12 PM

““He’s definitely trying to add fuel to the fire, but nothing is going to add more fuel to the fire than myself and the help of, I’ll guess I’ll say, a select few people who run their mouth and talk crap.

Fuel to the fire ? Lol the way he’s been playing he’s burning about as bright as a single matchstick burning. Not much in the way of smoke and flames from Williams this year.

31. cover200 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:14 PM

Amazes me how human beings bash NFL players and their demands then porbably end up whining about his or her own job to family and friends. Not Mario’s fault that “professional” NFL scouts touted him as the #1 overall pick. Maybe we should be bashin those scouts and not Mario.

32. billhicks666 says: Oct 31, 2012 2:15 PM

ilovefoolsball says:

“Superbowl ring count-

Reggie Bush = 1
    Mario Williams = 0

but great move choosing him with the #1 overall pick.”

Yeah, like Reggie Bush had a whole lot to do with the Ain’ts winning the Super Bowl that year, but you keep telling yourself he did and that he should have been the first overall pick. Maybe one of these days you’ll actually believe it.

33. texansdude says: Oct 31, 2012 2:20 PM

Geez, Mario. It is always about him, but it is never his fault, somehow. How many people has he thrown under the proverbial bus this year? I felt bad for him on draft day – it must suck to hear your name called AND hear loud boos accompanying it on what should be the greatest day of your life. He cannot blame Rick Smith. They’ve known him for years, and knew darn well he was about the cha-ching. That is reason one the Texans didn’t even negotiate with him. AND the fact he was no longer needed. You got what you wanted, Mario! Stop complaining!

34. mattsffrd says: Oct 31, 2012 2:27 PM

“Oh and uh, also I like playing for the Bills. Or something.”

35. briggsweatbird says: Oct 31, 2012 2:46 PM

Ya. I feel bad for Mario, that the Texans forced him to go to a team who would over-pay him to the tune of $50 million in guaranteed money

When he signed, he said, “I’m ecstatic, very excited. I can’t wait for the opportunity.” Yet, he was forced? I’ll take that “force” everyday. Hell, I would even go to Cleveland for that kind of money. Maybe.

The Bills sure are getting their money’s worth. Think how ecstatic and excited they must be over Mario’s 3.5 sacks and 16 tackles so far. At this pace, he will finish with around 7 sacks and 35 tackles! Great signing!!

Meanwhile, in Houston, the defense thrives.

36. raymondtx says: Oct 31, 2012 2:52 PM

well this worked out for everyone. He got his money, the Texans didn’t overpay for a guy who “looks like Tarzan,plays like Jane.”
    Oh…well, guess it didn’t work out for the Little bills or the city of buffalo.

37. Slackmo says: Oct 31, 2012 2:55 PM

If the Texans had drafted Reggie Bush at #1 instead…then they would have been really disappointed.

38. jwaggen says: Oct 31, 2012 2:56 PM

My problem with Mario was that he only wanted sacks. He would start his rush, see that it was a run and just quit. Sometimes the play would come right back at him and he would just be standing there. Why not give it 100% for the duration of the play. Tackles are nice too.

39. jpaq68 says: Oct 31, 2012 3:04 PM

Just another player who took Old Man Wilson’s money and ran.

40. wallacejay says: Oct 31, 2012 3:10 PM

If you mean by not wanting to overpay for you, they forced you into free agency, then you are correct.

41. 23chameleons says: Oct 31, 2012 3:35 PM

Since his injury last year we’ve come to realize that he was good but not great. Now we’ve got a DE who is not great, but a beast in J.J. Watt. I don’t think anyone here in Houston would have thought to boo Mario at the game this weekend until he started talking like this.

42. billhicks666 says: Oct 31, 2012 3:54 PM

srcnsd says:

“If Mario Williams is worth a $100m contract, then JJ Watt is worth at least a $200m contract.”

Very true, and as a Texans fan, it worries me a lot. Hope JJ truly wants to stay a Texan and doesn’t go to the highest bidder. If he does test the free agent market, it’s bye bye to JJ in Houston. But I don’t want to think about that right now!!!

43. doe22us says: Oct 31, 2012 4:00 PM

Shoot i will take $50m guaranteed where do i sign??

44. justincohn says: Oct 31, 2012 4:06 PM

And his stellar play this season has really made that look like a bad move by the Texans, you know, if this whole thing is true.

Which I doubt it is.

45. bigwinintx says: Oct 31, 2012 4:11 PM

Nobody ares, Mario…

Show up Sunday and get your game check on Tuesday.

46. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 31, 2012 4:37 PM

“cover200 says:
    Oct 31, 2012 2:14 PM
    Amazes me how human beings bash NFL players and their demands then porbably end up whining about his or her own job to family and friends”

And most people getting anywhere from minimum wage to $20-25 per hour can’t be considered to have the same motivation to go full tilt all the time as someone getting 100 million can they.

47. bathroomben7 says: Oct 31, 2012 5:11 PM

I wouldn’t mind bringing him back to the Texans in a couple years at a greatly reduced contract after he collects all his guaranteed money from the Bills. He was always a solid player and for a while was the only bright spot on what was then a horrible defense. If I recall correctly his first three years he accounted for about half the sacks on the team.

48. raymondtx says: Oct 31, 2012 5:12 PM

who is this maria williams you are talking about?

signed H-Town.

49. snowpea84 says: Oct 31, 2012 6:04 PM

This sounds like people trying to confuse personal and business.

50. mc321984 says: Oct 31, 2012 6:07 PM

Another Mario Williams posting, another onslaught of Texans fans assuring us all that they don’t miss him. You would convince the NFL more if you didn’t respond.

51. billsboy88 says: Oct 31, 2012 7:59 PM

As a Bills fan, I’m starting to hate this guy. His attitude is as poor as his play through this point in the season. He is not a leader, he is a mercenary and he is destroying the team aspect of the defense.

I never remember the collective attitude of the Bills being so poor before they brought this guy to town. You can’t tell me there isn’t some unspoken anti-mario sentiment floating in that locker room. A lot of these guys have spent their careers in Buffalo, working their butts off to make their due. Mario comes in, gets paid a huge contract, then loafs on the field. I don’t see that sitting too well with the guys.