Meachem: “You don’t want to be somebody that got your coach fired”

San Diego Chargers v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

It has to be hard for a Charger to not beat himself up at the moment.

After losing three straight in dramatic and ridiculous fashions, they’re 3-4 and fast-forwarding to the “what happens next year,” portion of the season.

That’s why even though wide receiver Robert Meachem dropped a sure touchdown pass in Cleveland, he’s trying to retain his joy for the game.

It’s not easy to have fun, but he thinks it’s necessary to prevent bearing down so hard they snap from pressure.

“I’ve committed that sin time after time after time,” Meachem said, via Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego. “You hear about your coach, and they talk about firing your coach. You don’t want to be somebody that got your coach fired. You don’t want to be somebody that they talk about your quarterback because they said the year before he threw this many picks and all the sudden now, five picks or nine or however many he threw, three of them were for me.

“That plays a part in your mind because I love my quarterback. I love what he does. I love how he approaches the game. I love how competitive he is. And if he throws a bad ball, he gets on himself, and I love that about my quarterback, so I’m trying to make sure I do everything in my power to make sure my quarterback is happy.

“But he can’t be happy if I’m not happy. If I come in the huddle all long-faced, he looks at me and his vibe might change. I’ve got to come into the huddle like, ‘Let’s go. All that other stuff is behind us. One play at a time.’”

Meachem could have made them all happier if he’d have caught that pass in Cleveland, or done a little more. He was supposed to be the replacement for Vincent Jackson, and has so far failed to resemble the kind of impact Jackson’s had in Tampa Bay.

The idea of keeping things light has some merit, but at the end of the day, Meachem making a play would help as well, and help all those people he loves hang onto their jobs too.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
16 Responses to “Meachem: “You don’t want to be somebody that got your coach fired””
  1. panamon says: Oct 31, 2012 10:43 AM

How are you supposed to replace someone who cost twice as much? I’m really not seeing how that’s a fair criticism.

2. ihatethejets23 says: Oct 31, 2012 10:57 AM

Good for him to recognize that his game needs improvement (without making excuses) and for recognizing how his play and attitude are effecting his teammates instead of worrying only about himself and his contract. Too bad more NFL players don’t have his mindset.

3. nbaraie says: Oct 31, 2012 10:58 AM

Meachem should have signed in Buffalo. That way he could blame the defense for getting his coach fired.

4. savocabol1 says: Oct 31, 2012 10:58 AM

Ben Watson also dropped a sure fire TD. I’d say both those drops are a wash.

5. icanspeel says: Oct 31, 2012 11:01 AM

He may not want to be somebody that gets Norv fired, but Charger fans might like him better if it meant Norv getting fired.

6. ralphiepower says: Oct 31, 2012 11:12 AM

I doubt this one drop is what will get Norv Turn fired. The number is 3 that will get him canned. Number of play off wins with the Chargers!!

7. fuglyflorio says: Oct 31, 2012 11:15 AM

He forgot to add, “Looking at you Dez Bryant”.

8. charger88 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:21 AM

Anyone who thinks Robert Meachem is even comparable to Vincent Jackson is off their rocker. The Jackson move and the Sproles move were idiotic at best. Talent is talent the heck with the two DUI’s by Jackson. Meachem is more comparable to Nate Burelson or Greg Little considering that dropped TD.

9. klunge says: Oct 31, 2012 11:22 AM

Are you kidding? He’d be a hero in San Diego if he got Norv Turner fired.

10. mrgroovesd says: Oct 31, 2012 11:23 AM

Believe me Meachem, you are NOT that somebody that will get him fired. This is a long time coming and it’s not because of one dropped pass your butter finger ass couldn’t catch in the open field.

11. mz1394 says: Oct 31, 2012 11:38 AM

you dont want to be that somebody that got your coach fired….unless your coach is norv turner

12. essentialsausage says: Oct 31, 2012 11:39 AM

He shouldn’t feel too bad. Even Calvin Johnson dropped a touchdown pass last week.

13. shots732000 says: Oct 31, 2012 12:21 PM

He doesn’t have to worry Norval will get himself fired.

14. mrlaloosh says: Oct 31, 2012 3:02 PM

Meachem was stone handed at Tennessee and NOLA. He’ll make some great plays sometimes but many drops & missed blocks also. Middle of the road receiver. Not great but serviceable. BTW, thanks San Diego for Sproles & Brees.

15. granadafan says: Oct 31, 2012 4:43 PM

Did the rest of the interview go like this:

“Really unfair. That’s my teammate. *sniffle* That’s my quarterback. *cry* We lost as a team. We lost as a team, man.”

16. Savage Lizard says: Oct 31, 2012 5:11 PM

“BTW, thanks San Diego for Sproles & Brees.”

Feel free to thank 29 other teams for not even offering Brees a contract, and thank the Dolphins for withdrawing their contract offer. In fact, San Diego was THE ONLY OTHER TEAM in the NFL to have a contract offer on the table with Brees when he took the contract with more guaranteed money in New Orleans. It’s worked out well for New Orleans, good for them. But can we dispense with this silly notion that it was such a no-brainer to sign Brees, and that everyone knew he would come back from a serious shoulder injury this well?