Dez Bryant says he’s off punt returns, vows to come back

Dez Bryant AP

Apparently two straight games with special teams mistakes was enough to make Dez Bryant solely an offensive player.

The Cowboys wide receiver said he was off punt returns, according to Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Asked Thursday if he was still the guy, Bryant replied: “I don’t think so. But I promise you, man, I’m going to bet back in their ear. I’m going to get in their ear about that.”

Bryant picked up a bouncer against the Panthers that nearly turned into a disaster, and fumbled last week against the Giants. Dwayne Harris and Cole Beasley replaced him last week after the fumble.

“I was very understanding,” Bryant said. “But like I said, I’m going to get back in coach’s ear. I think it will be hard for him to tell me ‘no.’ I’m going to continue to keep working at it. It’s not hard for me to catch a punt. I just need to feel it in and stop looking upfield and think before catching the rock. That should be my first objective, to catch the ball and then go make a play.”

Bryant has a 44-yarder on his resume, and obviously has the most big-play potential of the Cowboys current options.

But big plays cut both directions.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Dez Bryant says he’s off punt returns, vows to come back”
  1. purplengold says: Nov 1, 2012 5:03 PM

You better be understanding, the coach just told you “No”.

2. ezwriter69 says: Nov 1, 2012 5:28 PM

“I was very understanding,” Bryant said.
    That was big of you, Dez, huge in fact. You’re a real pro, a team first guy all the way, for sure.

3. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Nov 1, 2012 5:44 PM

Wait a minute. Didn’t they JUST say, this week, he was still going to return punts? SHOCK, a coach or GM says something that isn’t so? i.e. Reid about Vick going to remain QB? I wonder if these guys know what the truth really is?

4. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Nov 1, 2012 5:45 PM

Oh sorry it was Alper that said he could remain as the punt returner….

5. otistaylor89 says: Nov 1, 2012 5:46 PM

Question: Why was he on the punt return team to begin with?

6. SparkyGump says: Nov 1, 2012 6:01 PM

Learn the playbook and tuck your shirt in, Dez. You look as sloppy as you play.

7. flavordave says: Nov 1, 2012 6:11 PM

I really dont like this guy. Hes a new era M. Irvin but without the production. Id love to cheer his injury here in Philly as well.

8. jeffa43 says: Nov 1, 2012 6:13 PM

My Momma told me no a few times… But I showed her!

9. karlsummers says: Nov 1, 2012 6:14 PM

Bryant exclaimed, “I’m so good it makes u wanna slap ur mama!”

10. bringbacktheflex says: Nov 1, 2012 6:59 PM

They need to get rid of the gloves. It makes players think they can catch anything, but they don’t have the tactile feel for securing it.

Go back to catching the ball the manly way – no gloves! Dang sissies!

Long hair, earrings, makeup, hankies, and gloves… no wonder this team has problems.

11. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 1, 2012 7:07 PM

Bryant just needs to focus on running the right pass routes and catching the ball. He does not need to risk an injury returning a punt.

12. andylucksneck says: Nov 1, 2012 7:29 PM

off punt returns, and back to beating his mother.

13. csilojohnson says: Nov 1, 2012 7:43 PM

Can’t buy a title Jerry. When will the media let this team fade away?

14. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Nov 1, 2012 7:50 PM

Let’s see … Dez can’t field punts, can’t run routes, and can’t catch an easy pass over the middle. Makes a great catch that doesn’t count but brick hands for easy ones.

Why is he being paid to play pro ball?

15. ronnieroberts22 says: Nov 1, 2012 7:57 PM

Michael Irvin has said Dez Bryant is the most “talented” receiver he has seen. Now hearing that from a HOF wide receiver means something. On the other hand when you watch Dez play he is extremely dangerous with the ball and has unbelievable ability but is always just a dollar short. Running bad routes, dropping balls, fumbles, or just a bad decision on when to fair catch a ball. With all that being said I really would like to see him put it all together. The talent is there, now he just needs the right mind set.

16. bringbacktheflex says: Nov 1, 2012 8:22 PM

I think that Bryant is playing too scared – scared to fail. It’s good for a player to play with a little fear or pressure, but Bryant seems to play like he’s so scared to fair catch cuz someone might think he wasn’t trying hard enough. Or catch the ball and go down because someone might think he didn’t give second effort. Consequently, he’s prone to mistakes. Romo still plays a little like that some times.

17. rj88888 says: Nov 1, 2012 8:33 PM

It seems strange that Dez did not know the basic fundamentals of returning punts.

18. joetoronto says: Nov 2, 2012 4:52 AM

The Cowboys chose him and now he’s all theirs.

What a mistake.