Teammate: Tannehill is better than Luck and RG3, more like Brady

Ryan Tannehill AP

Five rookie quarterbacks are starting in the NFL right now, and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey says he’s snapping to the best of the bunch.

I think he’s the best rookie quarterback in the NFL right now,” Pouncey said of Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill, via FoxSportsFlorida.com.

The Dolphins will face the Colts on Sunday in a matchup with No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck, and it will mark the first time since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger that two rookie quarterbacks, each with at least three wins as starters, faced each other in a game. Although Luck was viewed as a sure-thing entering this year’s draft and Tannehill looked like more of a long-term project, Pouncey thinks Tannehill is already better than Luck, already better than Washington’s Robert Griffin III, and looking more like Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

“I think he’s better than RG3,” Pouncey said of Tannehill. “Their games are different. RG3 can throw, but he can also run. Tannehill’s a smart quarterback. I think he’s going to be one of those elite guys like Tom Brady when it comes said and done. Just his composure. His leadership in the huddle right now is just phenomenal. . . . I do see Tom, and the way he coordinates and runs his offense is the same as Tannehill does.”

Luck was asked on Wednesday about Pouncey’s comments, and he declined to take issue with them.

“That’s great,” Luck said of Pouncy talking up Tannehill. “I hope my teammates would have my back in the argument but I understand there’s different opinions and it’s great that his teammate is supporting him like that.”

With the winner of Sunday’s Colts-Dolphins game in the driver’s seat for an AFC wild card berth, it’s easy to see why both teams are happy with their rookie quarterbacks.

Permalink 84 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
84 Responses to “Teammate: Tannehill is better than Luck and RG3, more like Brady”
  1. parasonic says: Nov 1, 2012 11:36 AM

Just bc Tannehill’s hands are on your butt does not make him better than Luck or RG3.

2. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Nov 1, 2012 11:37 AM

How many times has Pouncey been concussed?

3. squinn21 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:38 AM

Mike Pouncey is a baller but it was the wrong time to say that. The Fins and flying under the radar right now quietly winning. No need to give anyone bulletin board material.

4. doresb21 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:39 AM

Luck>Tannehill>Ryan Leaf> Bob

5. Patriot42 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:40 AM

But is he better then Cassel?

6. jimdolfan says: Nov 1, 2012 11:40 AM

Hell yeah! That’s the way a teammate is supposed to sound! BTW, I am still laughing at Pouncey’s “I’d have to be on punt block to say something to him” comment directed at Maybin. Classic.

7. S.Nevada says: Nov 1, 2012 11:41 AM

When will this end? Can we all just agree to come back in 10-15 years then make the final decision instead of declaring player x or y the greatest of all time for this week? The sensationalism gets OLD.

I’m not discrediting Tannehill mind you, he and Alfred Morris are probably the 2 biggest rookie surprises up to this point. I’m simply speaking to the never ending carousel of greatest/best rookie qb talk.

8. andrewluckdontgiveawhat says: Nov 1, 2012 11:41 AM

Say what you will about the owner, Luck is a class act.

9. gochargersgo says: Nov 1, 2012 11:42 AM

Slow down speed racer.

10. v2the4 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:42 AM

Pouncey snapped the ball to Tim Tebow in college, and said that Tebow was the greatest player he ever played with…now Tannehill is better than RG III and Andrew Luck…..okay whatever Pouncey..remember Tannehill was playing WR at Texas Agriculture and Military before he became the starting qb

…..the only thing the three of them have in common is that they are all from the state of Texas..Luck from Houston, RG III from Kileen and Tannehill from Big Spring

11. hehateme2 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:43 AM

Wow… maybe his opinion is based on that Tannehill is running more no-huddle than any other QB. And his numbers when pressured is off the charts. He looks like he is in total command of the offense and has great poise.
    So, perhaps that is what Pouncy is referring to.

I think he needs more talent around him to really shine as the Colts and Skins have a little better skill players.
    All 3 are doing a good job in my book.

12. raymondtx says: Nov 1, 2012 11:44 AM

I am LMAO. Thanks Pouncy for the laugh!

13. jahbird says: Nov 1, 2012 11:48 AM

I’m not going to hate on Pouncey for believing in his guy and all that, but right this second, he couldn’t be more incorrect, it isn’t even close.

14. stlpimp says: Nov 1, 2012 11:48 AM

15. infectorman says: Nov 1, 2012 11:48 AM

great to see 2 rookie’s in a playoff race and meaningful football games.

While no one knew what to expect before the regular season began, it’s safe to say the Indy and Miami fan bases must be pleasantly surprised

16. tundey says: Nov 1, 2012 11:49 AM

I need more context. Was he asked who the best rookie is or did he just volunteer the information? If he was asked, I have no problem with him saying it. If he just volunteer it, then he’s just as stupid as DeAngelo was when he said RG3 was better than established QBs.

17. thestewman3 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:51 AM

I don’t understand what the fuss is all about. It’s just a teammate giving his young QB some encouragement.

Most people will take it for what it is and understand move on.

18. trojanwarrior007 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:52 AM

that’s like saying in front of your wife that she’s hotter than her friends.

19. steelersownyou says: Nov 1, 2012 11:54 AM

I call for immediate drug test. Thank god his brother maurkice isnt this delusional!

20. truthfactory says: Nov 1, 2012 11:56 AM

———-

Even the way Luck answered this reporters question sounds exactly like something Brady would say. Luck is big, tall, fast, mobile, athletic, smart and can read a defense. I think he already has 3 final drives that put his team in the lead on his last possesion through his first 7 games in the league. Not saying Tanehill is a bum or anything, but my money’s on Luck.

21. twardyyy says: Nov 1, 2012 11:57 AM

This is absolutely amazing. It gave me a nice laugh, but it’s got to be April Fools Day or something. There’s no doubt that Tannehill, Luck and RGIII have all done a phenomenal job this year but we won’t know who is the best at least in another decade or probably more. And I’m guessing Matt Moore is just a poor man’s Elway…? You’ve got to be kidding me, Pouncey. Come on, son.

22. nyyjetsknicks says: Nov 1, 2012 11:59 AM

Can everyone slow down with this talk? He’s played 8 games. He could be great or the league will figure out how to slow him down.

23. rtant2013 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:03 PM

This dude must be crazy. It’s down to RG3 and Luck. Both are very nice, humble guys and have a mentality that’s going to make it hard for either of them to be anything from good qbs. Both teams have been about the same. RG3 has had his team in position to win every game except against the steelers, and luck has led his team to some comeback victories. RG3 has been the most accurate qb thus far in the season and hasn’t turned the ball over, while Luck has averaged 280+ yds a game (I believe). It’s hard to pick between RG3 and Luck, but as a Skins fan, RG3 is just really exciting to watch, you never know when he’s going to hit that big play. Tannehill really doest compare to either. He’s on the second teir with Russell Wilson

24. footballfan80 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:07 PM

Of Course Tanneyhill is better than RG3. Just compare their stats:

RG3- 8 td, 3 int’s, 97 QB Rating, 67% completion

Tannehill- 4 TD, 6 INT’s, 76 QB rating, 59% completion

It is pretty apparent Tannehill is much better from these stats!

25. joetoronto says: Nov 1, 2012 12:11 PM

rtant2013 says:
    Nov 1, 2012 12:03 PM
    This dude must be crazy. It’s down to RG3 and Luck.
    ***********************************************

Why is that, because that’s what the media says?

26. captainphintastic says: Nov 1, 2012 12:13 PM

One thing is for sure. All 5 rookie QB’s this year are better than Mark Sancheez will ever be.

27. randyschwimmer7 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:16 PM

What is he supposed to say about his teammate? “Yeah, Tannehill is pretty good, but MAN that RG3 and Luck are leaps and bounds better. Boy Miami got the raw end of this deal!” LOL.

28. djmcba says: Nov 1, 2012 12:18 PM

RG3 has been awesome, but look at his turnovers. I would put Tannehill in the same class with both Luck, and RG. They are all being asked to do different things so it is tough to compare them apples to apples. At the end of the day, wins talk loudest (unless you’re the jets).

I think Pouncey is mainly talking about his command of the offense and poise under pressure.

Also, Matt Moore is probably one of the best backup QBs in the NFL. Went 6-3 in the last 9. 25 or so teams would love to have him as their backup (see Philly, Arizona, etc., etc.)

29. jmota222 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:18 PM

What’s with all the comparisons lately?? It’s way too early to say who the better rookie QB is going to be check back in about 3 years then we will see who the real deal is !!! With that being said I’d rather have “LUCK” on my side

30. junebughttr says: Nov 1, 2012 12:19 PM

In their rookie seasons, leaf threw for 1200 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions. RG3 has 1700 yards, 8 touchdowns and 3 picks…not even going to include his rushing stats. oh and RG3 posted those stats in 2 less games than leaf…can we stop with the comparisons already because as you can see, there is none

31. shlomotruehovic says: Nov 1, 2012 12:19 PM

joetoronto says: Nov 1, 2012 12:11 PM

rtant2013 says:
    Nov 1, 2012 12:03 PM
    This dude must be crazy. It’s down to RG3 and Luck.
    ***********************************************

Why is that, because that’s what the media says?

No, because Griffin and Luck talent say so!

32. eventhorizon04 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:24 PM

Wow, NFL player says nice things about NFL teammate.

That was totally worth a front-page article.

33. footballfan80 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:25 PM

djmcba:

Matt Moore is a good backup but not starting material. There is a reason he has never been a clear cut starter other than because of inujuries. Not tremendously difficult to go 6-3 when there is no pressure on you and your season is already over anyway.

34. dlmcc1010 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:27 PM

The guys been playing well but I wouldnt put him up there with Luck or RG3. Its his teammate though so you have to expect him to say that.

35. dolphins512 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:31 PM

I’m a huge Phins fan….and while I’m very excited about Tannehill’s performance thus far, I’m equally impressed with Luck and RGIII. This is probably Pouncey just being a good teammate….although, I could do without the chatter.

You have to be careful about 1st appearances though (by all 3). Remember, last year, Cam Newton and Andy Dalton were the next superstars QB’s. This year, Dalton is struggling and Cam is imploding. I think it is a little early to be judging any of these guys.

36. chifan17 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:33 PM

He’s talking about girlfriend’s/wives, right?

37. terpfan76 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:36 PM

djmcba says:Nov 1, 2012 12:18 PM

****************************************

Seriously? Turnovers? RGIII has a total of 5 turnovers on the season, 3 ints and two fumbles. Luck has 11 turnovers, 8 picks and 3 fumbles and Tannehill has 7 turnovers, 6 ints and 1 fumble. What sense does that make? I’m a Skins fan and I love RGIII, but Luck looks to be a great one and Tannehill looks like he’ll be a player too. Maybe we’ll all get lucky and this will be a new Manning/Brady/Brees argument. If that’s the case, we’ll all be happy.

38. jcampol says: Nov 1, 2012 12:36 PM

dlmcc1010 says:
    Nov 1, 2012 12:27 PMThe guys been playing well but I wouldnt put him up there with Luck or RG3

Could you please elaborate a little more as to why you wouldn’t put him”up there” with Luck? Have you even bothered to watch the guy play? Or do you just know that he doesn’t get mentioned as much as Luck or RG3 on sports center?

39. mfinsrule says: Nov 1, 2012 12:41 PM

lol. and stlpimp shows his idiocy again.
    as a dolphins fan I am very happy with Tannehill but, luck is playing incredibly right now. rg3 is playing great. Sweden and Wilson could be great with time. I said at the time this could be the greatest qb draft ever and I realize 8 games in is not conclusive but its looking good.

40. japmen says: Nov 1, 2012 12:41 PM

I guess anything to get some comments. Of course his center is going to say that! I love the idiots that have already been crowning rookie QBS. Way too early fellas!

41. gottaplan says: Nov 1, 2012 12:48 PM

Where did Pouncey say he was better than Luck? This is media hype leading to a game. The quote I read said he was better than RGIII (not agreeing necessarily). But I see no quote that said he was better than Luck, did I miss it? C’mon, this is just an attempt to create a controversy where there is none. Tannehill is legit so far), so is Luck. Lets just see how it plays out without made up hype.

Michael David Smith: Did you read the second paragraph? “I think he’s the best rookie quarterback in the NFL right now,” Pouncey said of Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. If he’s the best rookie quarterback, that makes him better than Luck.

42. skins1982 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:50 PM

No man, he’s not. Maybe better than luck, but nowhere near as accurate, as mobile, as tough as smart or as much of a leader as Rg3

43. cubancigar10 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:51 PM

S.Nevada says:
    Nov 1, 2012 11:41 AM

S.Nevada,

This forum is gives fans the opportunity to do exactly what irritates you. Why are you here?

44. unbreakable02215 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:53 PM

Noooooo………..wait…….you mean THE Tom Brady
    ?

45. vader7176 says: Nov 1, 2012 12:54 PM

And Pouncy can say this cause he’s a. played with or b. played against Griffin and Luck? No on borh counts. Why does the press gravitate to the dumb linemen who have yet to prove their worth in the NFL?

46. gacoltfan says: Nov 1, 2012 12:59 PM

It may be a stretch to say he is better than Luck and RG3, but it’s really quite surprising what he and the Dolphins have done this season. Did anyone expect them to be this competitive after seeing Hard Knocks? Even the most loyal Dolphin fans were discouraged.

Colts/Dolphins game has a lot of meaning this weekend. Who would have guessed that before the season started?

47. billhicks666 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:05 PM

stlpimp says:

“He’s not even the best QB in Florida… Freeman and Gabbert will both end up with better stats than that clown….”

Looks like some of us are having a little trouble admitting that they were dead wrong to dismiss Tannehill as a bust before he ever took an NFL snap.

48. sasquash20 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:08 PM

I would take Luck and RG3 ahead of Tannehill, but he has been much better then I expected. I think the NFL needs Miami to be good again. I mean look at AFC East, you have the Pats and nobody. The Jets will be firing Ryan and blowing that team up, and Buffalo can’t seem to ever get anything right. Yeah a competitive Miami would be good.

49. spfripp says: Nov 1, 2012 1:09 PM

I mean really, what is the big deal? The guy is backing up the QB that he protects. Would you guys expect anything less? I don’t even know why anyone has taken the time comment on this story.

50. pats777 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:14 PM

For the love of God, Tannehill and Brady do not belong in the same sentence for at least a few years, unless the discussion involves their significant others.

51. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:15 PM

loser skins fans, whats the skins record?……child please!!!!

52. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:16 PM

i agree we are only 8 games into their rookie seasons, lets wait a few years until all their teams are done rebuilding and see which QB is more successful, i got my money on Luck!!! just as everybody else should too

53. dolphins512 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:22 PM

Whether you are a Colt fan….Redskins fan….or Phins fan……shouldn’t we all just be thrilled with what we see?

You never know how these things work out. Dan Marino and Jim Kelly were two of the best QB’s who I ever saw play…and neither won a Superbowl. Yet in the past decade, both Trent Dilfer and Rob Johnson, who were both mediocre, did win Superbowls….so you never know how legacy and success will fill out over the course of a career.

Lets let these guys play a few years.

54. curfster33 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:28 PM

Wow. First of all I don’t see why you guys would criticize pouncey or even have that train of thought. He’s supporting a teammate and even luck sees that as a plus. Second of all they rarely show coverage of Miami and by the arguments expressed its clear you guys are a bunch of stat readers. 4 of Tannehilll interceptions were tipped at the line of scrimmage , 3 by jj watt in the first game. The same watt who is havin an incredible season and will no doubt be a pro bowl starter. His last 3 games he has not put the ball on the floor or thrown an int( yes he was injured in the 3rd). As far as matching lucks yards per game we have a completely different offense as do the skins. We have Reggie bush who is a top ranked fantasy back. Does anybody own helu or Donald brown.. Thank you. I agree that we are not able to determine who is hands down the best qb. But in my opinion a this point luck and Tannehill are ahead of rg3. Rg3 is an athlete but I don’t see his ceiling being much higher than it is now. He is more careless Nd has made more boneheaded plays. Let’s watch rg3 lower his shoulder to a safety or linebacker again and get a concussion or worse, that’s not Being very helpful to your team. Rg3 has way more weapons and speed to spread the field for him, enabling him to tuck and run and use his mobility as a weapon. They run deeper routes an more rollout plays. If u guys don’t think Tannehill and luck have wheels think again. But they have more 5-7 step drop backs and fire on the cut from the pocket. Both I these guys have full command of their huddles and have shown incredible leadership and poise for a rookie. As mentioned luck has performed a few comeback drives and Tannehilll no huddle offense and stats under pressure are stupid high. I’ve seen these guys audible at the line multiple times. Rg3 is not given as much leeway, for a reason. Rg3 is what I expect from a rook, and he will stay at the level he’s playing at. Tannehill and luck I am excited to watch gf and I believe will certainly be elite qbs for years to come. Not as much based on what I hVe seen physically as mentally. Fun to watch. Great class of rookie qbs

55. rockthered1286 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:34 PM

Dwayne Bowe to Miami today would have been monumental for this kid. Tannehill has NO WR’s to throw to, a below average TE, and decent RB’s. Imagine if Tannehill could have an actual go-to WR in Bowe. Would have been huge for his confidence and development.

But draft picks are always nice I guess.

56. dutchhmaster says: Nov 1, 2012 1:39 PM

What do you expect? For Pouncey to say that RGIII and Luck are better than Tannehill? Perhaps he could have said nothing, but it really isn’t a big deal. In the end, I think all three of them will turn out to be great quarterbacks.

57. opinion157983 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:49 PM

I don’t know who is the best but Tannehill is really good. The people who said he was a reach are nowhere to be found. The thing I like most about this kid is that he is really driven. It’s nice to see a player like Luck understand the comment, and not get defensive about it.

I’m just happy to see some new blood at qb like Luck/Tann in the nfl doing well after so many busts in the league over the years!

58. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:59 PM

and dolphins ,,,,we owe yal for that bad trade of vontae davis!!!! lol

59. pongonfl says: Nov 1, 2012 2:07 PM

Kind of a shame that Miami traded away one of the best WRs in the league then.

But this is all good for Miami, to even be in the discussion shows the importance of the QB position and says alot about the coordinator-qb set they have and how it could build in the future. I dont think they mortgaged the franchise like Washington did either.

60. stlpimp says: Nov 1, 2012 2:08 PM

Hey mfins and bill chik … Come talk to me when he is no longer upside down with td passes vs interceptions .. This clown has thrown 2 more picks than TDS and you act like he is Dan Marino part 2… Dolphins are the most dysfunctional and laughable franchise in the NFL.. When you actually win something since 73 you will be allowed to speak.. Until then.. You don’t have my permission to open your mouths…

61. 69finfan says: Nov 1, 2012 2:10 PM

Can we just agree that Tannehill, Luck and RG3 are doing a very good job and their repecful teams, players and fans are very satisfied, or more than satisfied with their play at this point of the season, or is that too easy? Finsup!

62. shlomotruehovic says: Nov 1, 2012 2:17 PM

peytonsneck18 says: Nov 1, 2012 1:15 PM

loser skins fans, whats the skins record?……child please!!!!

Why are you so upset. Did someone pee in your cheerios???? I think the real problem is that Andrew Luck was suppose to be one of the BEST QB EVER to come out of the draft; and is being compared to other normal rookies. As a Colts fan I would be upset too. My one of a kind guy is actually one of the same!

63. brava66 says: Nov 1, 2012 2:33 PM

Tannehill may be good but it helps out alot as a rookie QB when you are executing the same offense that you did in college. No learning curve…

64. hehateme2 says: Nov 1, 2012 2:34 PM

lol. and stlpimp shows his idiocy again.

Agreed… I didn’t know that Lamb fans were still talking. Much still sting!

65. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 1, 2012 2:35 PM

Yeah, Gabbert is a couple years younger than Tannehill, and Freeman is only a couple months older even though he is in his fourth season. They are both much better prospects.

66. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 1, 2012 2:42 PM

I think this Tannehill is a heck of a QB. And is only going to get even better. Right now I think he is better than Luck but I’m not convinced he is better than RG3 just yet.

67. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 1, 2012 2:53 PM

you are wrong clown boy, Luck wasnt praised as one of the best to ever come out, the media hype things up , heck rg3 is being hyped as peyton,brady and rodgers all in one QB, and he won the heisman, so to say Luck is more hyped than rg3 is stupid!! how many commercials is rg3 in compared to Luck? exactly, Luck is humble and knows he not playing at his full potential, rg3 thinks hes already great and practice is harder than the nfl games

68. liltifer says: Nov 1, 2012 2:58 PM

“Pouncey snapped the ball to Tim Tebow in college, and said that Tebow was the greatest player he ever played with…”

You sure? Wasn’t Maurkice the C when Tebow was there? Mike Pouncey didn’t switch until his brother left.

69. mdpgc says: Nov 1, 2012 2:59 PM

Anyone who believes that Tannehill is better than RG3 needs to quit whatever drugs their on, cause its killing their brain cells.

Like Jay-Z said, Women lie, Men lie, Numbers don’t!

70. 7swag7 says: Nov 1, 2012 3:08 PM

Ryan Kalil, Jeff Saturday, Nick Mangold, and about 10 other guys are better than Mike Pouncey.

71. wethog66 says: Nov 1, 2012 3:15 PM

The only similarities I see between Tannehill and Brady right now is both married damn fine looking women.

As a Skins fan I too think all this “best rookie QB” talk is a bit premature. A lot can happen over the 2nd half of the season, lets wait till the end of the season before saying Tannehill, Luck or Griffin are the best rookie QB.

And its great to read that Tannehill appears to be the real deal. Next to us Skins fans, Miami fans deserve to have a little success at the QB position.

72. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 1, 2012 3:27 PM

it all boils down to…the skins and dolphins havent tasted success IN A LOOONG TIME!!! and they finally have hope, but use colts fans are happy and thankful with Luck and we will continue to have success after one bad year, we didnt have to sell our souls like some other team to get another QB, so skins are happy with IRG3″willie beamin, and dolphins are happy with tannehill, so its a win win between all teams, and dont forget the browns with weeden

73. skins1982 says: Nov 1, 2012 4:12 PM

Hey peytonsneck! We’ll see how many lombardi’s Rg3 brings back to DC. You just go ahead and be thrilled with the next Drew Bledsoe. It’s already showing on the field who the better qb is. Skins will be perennial contenders for a decade while the next Bledsoe leads you to a couple of awesome wild card births! Deal with it homie!

74. billhicks666 says: Nov 1, 2012 4:16 PM

Hey stlb*tch, stop clouding the issue. You’re one of the “geniuses” who before the season even started said that Ryan Tannehill would be a “complete bust”. And although it’s still early, he’s been much, much better than a bust. Bottom line is, the Dolphins are very much in the hunt for a playoff spot, and he’s the starting QB for them. So I’ll keep talking whether you give me permission or not, little boy.

75. jwreck says: Nov 1, 2012 4:19 PM

hehateme2 says: Nov 1, 2012 11:43 AM

So, perhaps that is what Pouncy is referring to.

All 3 are doing a good job in my book.
    _________
    What the hell man? Clear-thinking and unbiased analysis is my thing. You think you can just waltz onto this site and write balanced, sensible, and well-thought-out analyses of different players and the media hype surrounding them?

Seriously though, spot on, although it’s easy to make the case that Luck and Griffin also look calm, poised, and in total command of their offenses.

That said, it’s very hard to make the case that Tannehill is playing at a higher level than Luck or the Third, and perhaps the most accurate statements one can make on Tannehill is that he is easily the most underrated of the rookie quarterbacks (as he is clearly playing on a similar level to the two Heisman finalists), and is clearly the best value (in terms of draft picks)of the top three rookie quarterbacks in the NFL right now.

In closing, the NFL is more fun when bad teams get better, and it’s in everyone’s best interest as football fans to wish nothing but the best for all five rookie quarterbacks. Hoping one of them does badly so your own quarterback looks better in comparison is childish, stupid, and, in the long run, hurts the sport itself.

76. torontofalcon says: Nov 1, 2012 4:33 PM

Tannehill is a damn good player, but luck and RG3 are stellar, no shame being behind them

77. FinFan68 says: Nov 1, 2012 4:54 PM

Comparing QBs is is dumb, especially young ones like these guys in their first year. Every QB in the league is different and their teammates and schemes have a lot to do with their success or failure. The simple truth is that, right now, each of these guys is a good QB for their respective teams. They all have different skill sets and each is doing well so far. Each has surpassed realistic expectations and each look like they will be good players for the foreseeable future.

That said, I like that my team’s young center has that level of confidence in his QB. That translates to confidence that they can win and will actually lead to more wins…and that is exactly what is happening (with both teams) right now.

78. jerrygray721 says: Nov 1, 2012 4:59 PM

as a dolphin fan i am tickled pink that we have a qb thats even in the conversation

79. boyshole25 says: Nov 1, 2012 5:18 PM

And my grams tells me I’m the most handsome boy in the whole wide world!

80. thelastpieceofcheese says: Nov 1, 2012 7:40 PM

The rookie qbs, all very talented, remind me of the following:

Ryan Tannehill = John Unitas

Andrew Luck = Jim Plunkett

RG3 = Cam Newton

Russell Wilson = Michael Vick

Brian Weeden = George Blanda

Best one – Whoever wins the most Superbowls

81. pafinfan72 says: Nov 1, 2012 10:47 PM

Let’s just take it one game at a time.

82. skinsfaninnebraska says: Nov 2, 2012 10:00 AM

Tannehill is looking like a solid NFL QB, and it’s great that his teammate supports him.

Luck’s response shows he is a class act too.

83. pudge697 says: Nov 4, 2012 10:51 AM

These kids still have a lot of snaps before anyone can broadcast an opinion from the outside looking in. Pouncey is just doing what a teammate should….and that is have his guys back when asked a question.

84. loudmouthdog says: Nov 4, 2012 4:32 PM

Okay Pouncey, now that the game just ended:

who did you say the best QB is? Luck- 433 yards and 2 touchdowns, Tannehill- 290 yards and only one touchdown, RGIII- 215 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Well, we really don’t know for their careers, but today Luck ruled the day for rookies. In fact, he broke the rookie records on yards.