Ahmad Bradshaw thinks Giants “can spark New York”

Andre Brown, Ahmad Bradshaw AP

Whether the Giants should be playing a home game this weekend or not, the team hopes that they can help with the small thing they do after Hurricane Sandy roared through their home turf.

We feel like we can spark New York,” Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Just what we do, what we’ve done. I think we can also help everybody in New York and New Jersey that’s going through this.”

The Giants weren’t immune to the impact of the storm, and teammates pitched in, with the ones who had electricity putting up the ones that didn’t, and otherwise getting through like everyone else in the region.

“We’re taking care of each other,” Bradshaw said. “Hopefully, we can take care of New York, and it will be a good Sunday for everybody. We need to get everybody through this storm, this weather and everything else; get through this month and get back to normal. Hopefully, our wins and our success helps.”

Of course, they’d help a lot more if they could make all the water go away, find a tank of gas and turn the lights on.

Such that it matters, Giants coach Tom Coughlin clearly hopes to use it as motivation, as well.

“We haven’t talked much about that,” Coughlin said. “There will be a time and place for talking about that. I think the devastation is part of our world. Our players have gone through a little bit. I don’t know the extent of the damage of their homes, but I know the majority of them have been without power.

“That’s just a small sample of what’s going on in this part of the world and the reason people will have smiles on their faces for a few hours on Sunday afternoon.”

It’s not the kind of thing that will make a long-term difference, but within the scope of the entertainment business, it is the thing they can do.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Ahmad Bradshaw thinks Giants “can spark New York””
  1. johnnybgood19 says: Nov 2, 2012 1:13 PM

In the meanwhile police and social services that are needed to exhibit an NFL game will be sucked up and kept away from helping the community recover….

just saying…..

2. kattykathy says: Nov 2, 2012 1:25 PM

Goodell gives an extra home game to New York, now he makes sure they dont lose a home game.
    Another classless move by Goodell and the greedy good ol boy network out East.

All the police needed to staff the game before, during, and after would be much better used in the communities instead of at a football stadium.
    Why doesn’t Bloomberg tell the NFL to make alternate plans like he did to the NBA?

GREED

3. chalkruz1989 says: Nov 2, 2012 1:35 PM

I am seeing such much criticism over this, yet if I recall correctly, the MLB and NFL returned quite quickly after 9/11 and it paid huge dividends.

I am not arguing sports are bigger than everyday life, but, sports can give so many people an outlet and some time to forget about their hardships.

I think Ahmad Bradshaw provides a great point, if the New York Giants come out and play this game for the fans and New York, it will bring some unity for those going through these hard times.

4. 13fitzj says: Nov 2, 2012 1:54 PM

Kattykathy – although I don’t think they should be playing this game, Bloomberg can’t do anything about the Giants because Metlife stadium is not located within NYC. Heck, it’s not even in NYS!

5. sdelmonte says: Nov 2, 2012 2:04 PM

We need sparking? We’re New York. We’ll be fine.

6. thetylerrose says: Nov 2, 2012 2:11 PM

Too bad millions of people won’t be able to see the game because of that little issue of not having electricity…

7. njsteelersfan says: Nov 2, 2012 2:21 PM

Unless Bradshaw is handing out food , water or clothing us in Jersey could careless who wins . We have a ton of other things on our minds something call heat, electricity , food ,water and a place to lay our heads down . So put a spark to that .

8. njsteelersfan says: Nov 2, 2012 2:25 PM

chalkruz1989 says:Nov 2, 2012 1:35 PM

__________________________________
    here in Jersey and parts of NY we lost half of our state There sitll over 2 million people without power food or water 9/11 was 2 buildings in Jersey we have wole towns wiped off the map So you can’t compare one to the other

9. homerx says: Nov 2, 2012 2:32 PM

I am torn on this only because I am a die hard Giants and NFL fan and I’m looking forward to watching them play on Sunday. However, the hypocrite in me thinks running the NYC Marathon is nuts, especially since they are providing generators and heaters so the runners can stay warm.

I live in central NJ and just had to leave my home because it gets so cold at night and I can no longer subject my two young kids to the cold. I had to drive up to relative in LI who has power but now gas is at a premium here so I am hoping I can get enough gas to get home Sunday night.

Crazy times and who knows what the right answer is.

10. kattykathy says: Nov 2, 2012 2:34 PM

13fitzj says: Nov 2, 2012 1:54 PM

**************************************

But he has MONEY, and we all know Goodell and the NFL stop and listen to money like E.F. Hutton

11. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 2, 2012 2:50 PM

Yeah, a couple of colorful, witty, charismatic characters like Coughlin and Manning will just light the place up. Who needs Sting and Springsteen and those guys?

12. njsteelersfan says: Nov 2, 2012 2:57 PM

kattykathy says:Nov 2, 2012 2:34 PM

13fitzj says: Nov 2, 2012 1:54 PM

**************************************

———————————————-
    What does Bloomberg the Mayor of NYC has to do with anything that happens in Jersey ? The Gaints play in Jersey not NY Ppl are so dam dumb

13. dirtmcgirt24 says: Nov 2, 2012 5:10 PM

njsteelersfan says:
    Nov 2, 2012 2:25 PM
    __________________________________

—–

You’re right, you can’t compare one another. Those “2 buildings” cost 3,000 people their lives. You have material loss. You are clearly in worse shape.