Bengals still manage to muster a sellout

135505789_extra_large_medium Getty Images

Last year, when the Bengals were surprisingly good, they consistently failed to sell all non-premium tickets to their games.  This year, they’re surprisingly mediocre, and they’re selling out every home game.

Sounds about right.

Of course, it helps that the Bengals are now hosting good teams and/or compelling players, like the Broncos and Peyton Manning on Sunday.  Peyton’s presence helped get enough tickets sold to allow Sunday’s game versus Denver to be televised locally, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Next week’s visit from Peyton’s baby brother apparently isn’t regarded as equally compelling.  Per Reedy, “a wider range of tickets” remain available for Week 10 against the Giants and Eli Manning, which means that non-premium tickets remain for next week.

Coming up, Carson Palmer (ever heard of him?) returns on November 25, the Cowboys visit on December 9, and the Ravens come to town on December 30.  So even if the Bengals don’t win another game, they likely won’t have major trouble selling tickets.

For owner Mike Brown, who seems to judge success based not on polishing trophies but profits and losses, that could be the recipe for the best season ever.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Bengals still manage to muster a sellout”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Nov 2, 2012 9:56 AM

It’s only fair since they’ve been selling out their fans for years.

2. rajbais says: Nov 2, 2012 10:08 AM

“surprisingly mediocre”?

How about “this was expected”?

Benson is gone and the schedule got tougher.

The defense and Dalton are a disappointment. Plus, no replacement for Jerome Simpson and Andrew Hawkins has just been cold after an early good start.

3. vincentbojackson says: Nov 2, 2012 10:08 AM

Thank you Bronco fans!

4. nje22 says: Nov 2, 2012 10:20 AM

If you want to see how Mike Brown really thinks, look up the Youtube video of him and Rooney from Steelers having a conversation about drafting playoffs etc, its exactly how he thinks.

5. joetoronto says: Nov 2, 2012 10:30 AM

Wait till Carson comes to town and shoes everyone he’s still miles better than Dalton. :)

6. winkeroni says: Nov 2, 2012 10:36 AM

Cincinnati Bengal fans are fans that I respect. It’s no secret that Brown doesn’t care about them or winning, just making money. I understand why they would have reservations about going to games. Cincinnati isn’t that far from Indianapolis and the Colts and Bengals aren’t bitter rivals. Peyton Manning did the opposite of LeBron James and exited gracefully. I’m sure that he still has fans in Indy. There probably will be a lot of 18’s in the stands and there are likely going to be some in blue.

7. prettyboyjag says: Nov 2, 2012 11:02 AM

Big difference between a “sellout” and a sellout…

8. cincyhokie says: Nov 2, 2012 11:22 AM

Ticket sales for a season are largely based on season ticket sales influenced by the success of the team the year before.

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

9. t8ertot says: Nov 2, 2012 11:32 AM

If the Bengals had a decent owner, Marvin Lewis would have been gone years ago

10. bengalsstillsuck says: Nov 2, 2012 12:06 PM

Move the franchise to LA there horrible

11. jefbob says: Nov 2, 2012 1:38 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If there is a blackout because Mikey didn’t take the 85% on one of the games I’m not going to, I’ll quit buying tickets to my 2 games a year. I support the team through sharing season tickets with a group of people, just can’t afford all 8 games.

12. mazblast says: Nov 2, 2012 3:05 PM

Haiku for my local team (not the one I root for)–

Bengals don’t progress
    Yet you continue to go
    This makes Mikey smile

13. voyager6 says: Nov 2, 2012 7:40 PM

I personally think the Bengals will be sold in 2017 (Bengals have asked to renegotiate their lease down to that date when asked for concessions by the County). I believe Brown will be 82 then. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him sell to someone willing to overpay and move the team to LA (AEG, anyone?)

14. mazblast says: Nov 2, 2012 8:50 PM

Yes, I’d be surprrised if Mikey EVER sold the team. Too many family members sucking at the organizational teat, too much “my father’s legacy” stuff. I think he’ll own the team until he kicks it (not that I wish him ill health or death), then his heirs will sell it.

As for the deal with the county, it boils down to this–the county is desperate for money since it can’t afford the interest on the bonds it sold to build the stadiums for the Bengals and Reds (imagine that!), and Mikey is holding their feet to the fire to get better terms. He’ll gladly pay a little more now to pay MUCH less later. Sure the taxpayers of the county (of which I am one) get screwed in the long run, but neither Mikey nor the current county commissioners care about what happens in 2020 or later.

15. hrdcorbengalsfan says: Nov 3, 2012 12:29 AM

joetoronto – doesn’t matter. He is still nothing but a quitter!