Vikings and Wilf pledge $100,000 to hurricane relief

Zygi Wilf AP

More and more NFL teams are stepping up in response to the disastrous storm that struck the New York/New Jersey region.

The Vikings and owner Zygi Wilf, a New Jersey native, have added $100,000 to the relief effort.

“Being from and living in the affected areas, our family has seen first-hand the destruction of Hurricane Sandy,” Wilf said in a team-issued release.  “As an organization, it is important for us to help raise awareness and support for those impacted by this disaster.  Every contribution is critical to helping families and individuals in the region.”

While we prefer charity without press releases, in this case the publicity should spur others to act.

Let’s all act.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Vikings and Wilf pledge $100,000 to hurricane relief”
  1. bobothegreatest says: Nov 2, 2012 8:57 PM

I would like to see an Irsay type challenge from Wilf. He could do a lot of good by challenging all other 31 teams to match his donation.

Bobo

2. barroomhero80 says: Nov 2, 2012 8:59 PM

Good thing

3. adsbad28 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:00 PM

Great job Vikes!! By far best owner in the league!!

4. mazblast says: Nov 2, 2012 9:01 PM

Some may say that the donations by Wilf and Jim Irsay “aren’t that much compared to their net worth”. To that I say three things–(1) it’s a lot of money regardless; (2) they didn’t have to gived anything; and (3) it doesn’t matter where it comes from and what percentage of someone’s net worth it is, IT IS.

5. sterling7 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:22 PM

I think that’s wonderful. Now how about pledging 100,000 to find a passing game for the Vikings?

6. blacknole08 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:24 PM

I did act. I voted.

7. gamecheck1 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:28 PM

class act.

8. purplengold says: Nov 2, 2012 9:30 PM

Thank you Mr. Wilf.

9. billhicks666 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:32 PM

Ah yes, the Zyg-meister comin’ through with the scratch for hurricane relief! Props to you, Zygi!

10. grapes911 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:34 PM

First of all, I don’t believe that this will spur others to donate. I think it’s PR plan and simple. Second, even though it’s a lot of money this is chump change for a billionaire. It’s like me donating $10. Yes, it’s every bit helps, but it not newsworthy.

11. taintedsaints2009 says: Nov 2, 2012 9:34 PM

Fans will be paying half of the donation, but ziggy will reap the tax deduction…

12. vikesfansteve says: Nov 2, 2012 9:36 PM

Now spend some of that $ on trading for and signing Bowe and a shut down corner.

13. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 2, 2012 9:50 PM

C’mon guys, dig deep for those beachfront property owners. Where will they spend their summers?

14. bleedburgandyandgold says: Nov 2, 2012 10:04 PM

That’s good of them to do I’ve donated what I could and I’m on other side of the country in Washington state just think if every team donated 100k that would be 3.2 mil and would go a long way to helping all those people

15. BigBeachBall says: Nov 2, 2012 10:16 PM

FEMA was first on the scene im guessing

16. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 2, 2012 10:17 PM

Well the Colts just chipped in for potentially $65k?…and now MIN is saying we can do you one better! I like it. Whose next?

I don’t have to ask who was first, cause if memory serves me right, Charles Woodson, a UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN alumn, hooked up a full $100k all by himself.

So who are the other teams and real playas out there? There’s still tens of billions of need out there of NFL customers that have spent a lot of their hard earned money to support you guys, and now many of them have nothing.

C’mon NFL Team you guys need to help out!!

17. pappavike says: Nov 2, 2012 10:27 PM

I don’t care if Wilf family is there or from there! It’s just nice to see someone of his stature give at a time when so many can’t And for those who say that’s not much coming from someone like Mr Wilf I say this; He didn’t have to do anything!!

18. ninefingers9 says: Nov 2, 2012 10:27 PM

A hundred grand? Holy smokes Ziggi dont break the bank! I mean, your Vikes are worth upward of what…a billion? AND your from the area…and yet a hundred grand is all your coughing up? Pfffft!

19. realfann says: Nov 2, 2012 10:33 PM

I’ll match Florio dollar for dollar.

So how much Mr PFT?

20. Gordon says: Nov 2, 2012 10:33 PM

I hate when people brag about their charitable contributions.

I think it’s safe to assume rich folk are donating a couple nickels here and there. No need for the self-congratulatory pat on the back.

21. tdk24 says: Nov 2, 2012 10:48 PM

That’s all?

22. packhawk04 says: Nov 2, 2012 10:56 PM

Great thing by wilf to do that. Charles woodson recently donated 2 million to a childrens hospital in ann arbor. I dont care how much they donate to causes, the fact that they do speaks volumes. Big props to wilf, woodson, and all others that donate to any charity.

23. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 2, 2012 11:25 PM

blacknole08 says:Nov 2, 2012 9:24 PM

I did act. I voted.
    _______

No doubt you’re a Democrat who thinks that voting for people who will take other people’s money and redistribute it to people they think deserve it more is some kind of charity act. Try giving of yourself sometime.

24. j0esixpack says: Nov 2, 2012 11:54 PM

I give Wilf credit for making the donation outright – though as another billionaire I’d think he could do better than what’s the equivalent of $2 to you and I.

At least he’s not holding the prospect of a donation hostage to the actions of his fans. Irsay, worth $1.5 Billion, will only donate $65,000 if Colts fans do the same.

Charles Woodson is worth a fraction of a fraction of that amount and wasted no time giving $100,000 no strings attached.

From a percentage standpoint Woodson gave MUCH more than either Wilf or Irsay. He’s a much better example to follow.

I urge everyone to give 10 times the equivalent of what these billionaires donated. That would only be $20 from each of, since the $65,000 Irsay gave is like $2 to you or I.

Let’s show these billionaires what true generosity is, because clearly they have no idea.

25. flipadelphia77777 says: Nov 2, 2012 11:55 PM

Ungrateful people! Who are you to criticize how much money someone DONATES! Get out of here

26. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:07 AM

$100000??? thats pathetic!!! the nfl and all 32 team owners should be donating a lot of money!!! the eastern coast has the majority of nfl fans and have the fans that supply the nfl with money!!!! if all 32 teams donated what wilf did that would be a joke and chump change not even able to fix more than 2 bridges!!!! The nfl should set an example for the other sports leagues and help out the fans that made them what they are today!!! 100,000 is a joke!!!!! even 1million is a joke!! they pay punters more than that!!! sickening!!!!!! 100,000 is as good as $10 its the same as nothing!!! wilf is a scumbag lookin to make himself look better. what a turd!!!!

27. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:19 AM

$100000??? thats pathetic!!!

the nfl and all 32 team owners should be donating a lot of money!!!

the nfl is by far the greatest sport in America!!!
    the nba is a boring crap fest!!

the mlb should be outlawed except in states that have nothing else to do except Iowa!!!

I can watch a game at the stadium but on tv I can’t even sit thru 5 mins and the majority of Americans are like that!!

When the worst nfl game with two horrid teams still destroys the world series you know baseball is a bad joke that needs to leave the usa!!!

I can’t wait til the nfl finally puts mlb out of business time for that bad joke to die off!!!

show the world one of the reasons America loves the NFL and can’t live without it, help the fans that make it the wealthiest league in the world!!!

step up and donate $96 million!! thats only $3 million per team and can’t be used as just a tax write off by scumbags looking to look good and get there money bag like wilf and irsay.

some punters make more than $3 million!!
    its pathetic it hasn’t been done already!!! the east coast is where the majority of fans live!!!

28. raysfan1 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:21 AM

I “love” it when people who probably donated $0.00, matched by 0 hours of volunteer work, bad mouth the generosity of others who are chipping in.

29. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:28 AM

$100000??? thats pathetic!!!

the nfl and all 32 team owners should be donating a lot of money!!!

the nfl is by far the greatest sport in America!!!
    the nba is a boring crap fest!!

some punters make more than $3 million!!

30. badscene322 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:30 AM

A Billion dollar owner donates the same as the Green Bay Packers Corner Back, Charles Woodson? Any donation is great don’t get me wrong, but c’mon, up the ante Mr. 1%.

31. borisbulldog says: Nov 3, 2012 1:18 AM

Donating money to the wealthiest region in America?

32. badintent says: Nov 3, 2012 1:28 AM

From a former NYCer, thanks Zigy !!The rest of you anti-Northeast dogs, stop barking and eat your IAMS ! We pay the most tax $$ to Washington, we bailed out your butt on all the Florida Hurricanes, Midwest twisters, floods, droughts, etc. Oh, and that Katrina mess too. We thank the National Guard, the Coast Guard, the Red Cross , firemen, police, paramedics and most of all, our men and women in harm’s way. And thanks to Canada for sending a thousand Hydro workers to restore electric power. Thank them and buy maple syrup.

33. threedeep1998 says: Nov 3, 2012 1:33 AM

Can’t believe anyone is criticising the amount. It’s a generous donation

34. axespray says: Nov 3, 2012 1:51 AM

Props

35. tigobitties says: Nov 3, 2012 4:45 AM

respect to everyone giving props to who helped with this cause. Even my rival packer fans are supporting the efforts of ziggy.
    —- I respect that like any normal human being would.

from what i’m seeing the ‘taint’ fans of 09 are still out and about. and the 9ers fans of i don’t know when are talking s***. the 80?

Thanks to the cheese heards across the river. we can agree on something and disagree with all the other idiots that thinkg 100k is nothing when if they had 1 billion dollars might donate 10k.
    Douche Caboose

36. fletcher08 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:32 AM

Why is it that some people think people with money should spend it the way they want them to? Go make your own money and spend it your way or donate it . It just shows you how pathetic people are . Give ten dollars and they want 20. Give one hundred and they want two hundred. You commenters know who you are and its disgusting. You are not the judge of these people with money. You try to hijack every player by saying they should give money because these people have paid to watch you play and now you owe them? I wonder how many dirtbags try leaching off these players year round? I bet the guys who get cut in minicamp and never make a team have leaches like you assuming they are rich and wanting to tell them what to spend their money on!

37. mikeyarch53 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:39 AM

To all the people saying “that’s it” or “he. Can cough up more than that cause he’s worth Billions” … Shut up…
    He didn’t have o donate a dime of his money…. $100,000 will help out a lot of family’s who lost everything because of Sandy…
    Thanks to EVERY person who gave any amount

38. whatjusthapped says: Nov 3, 2012 8:52 AM

The press reported that Wilf bought one of the highest priced apt/condos in NYC, somewhere in the range of $80 million.

Do the math folks, his donation is about a .ooo25% of the price of his condo.

On one hand, he did make a contribution, on the other hand, it looks cheap. He is just like his Vikings, he just can’t win either way.

39. purplengold says: Nov 3, 2012 9:05 AM

@paredskinwarrior1985

Someone we know has been forgetting to take their medication.

40. george4136 says: Nov 3, 2012 9:22 AM

All you people saying he’s cheap. I donated $10. Have you? I bet the $10 I donate is more than 90% of NFL players do. Woodson does make zygi look cheap though.

41. djaehne says: Nov 3, 2012 9:33 AM

100,000 will be enough to pay one or two FEMA agents overtime during this terrible crises.

42. djaehne says: Nov 3, 2012 9:35 AM

Mario Williams will donate some of his Buffalo signature pizzas…

43. imjinbrdgr says: Nov 3, 2012 9:51 AM

Charles Woodson gave $100,000 on his own. As usual Wilf and he entire organization can’t top one Packer.

44. locutus says: Nov 3, 2012 10:11 AM

I notice there are people here who criticize the amount of money that Wilf has pledged but fail to mention how much THEY have donated.

45. thatswhatimsayin says: Nov 3, 2012 10:16 AM

grapes911 says:
    Nov 2, 2012 9:34 PM

————————————————————

Did you donate that 10 dollars yet? Just wondering

46. dcviking says: Nov 3, 2012 10:19 AM

Why don’t the Packers sell more “stock” and donate the proceeds of the sale…or maybe if they just stopped drinking for one weekend.

BTW — nice job Charles woodson — also heard he donated $2 mil to U of Mich med school. That’s awesom.

47. eddardofthehousestark says: Nov 3, 2012 11:06 AM

@grapes911 “It’s like me donating $10. Yes, it’s every bit helps, but it not newsworthy.”

If everyone who could afford to donates $10 or $5, it will be newsworthy. Any amount of money helps. Try telling the American Red Cross that every $10 donation is worthless.

48. cubEbear54 says: Nov 3, 2012 1:22 PM

ANY donation to this effort is appreciated by the East Coast I’m sure. I donated my $$ to the Red Cross last night simply because it’s the right thing to do. The dollar amount isn’t the issue and shouldn’t be a standard of someone’s character or whatever. Just donate people! At least the money is going to Americans in need for a change…

49. j0esixpack says: Nov 3, 2012 1:49 PM

threedeep1998 says: Can’t believe anyone is criticising the amount. It’s a generous donation

—————-

It’s a minor tax write off for them

One copy of a Jack Kerouac book in Jim Irsay’s library is worth $2.35 million.

Irsay’s looking at that book saying… “Hmmm – I could save lives… or I could keep the book. What should I do?”

“Yeah – keep the book”