Wade Phillips says Mario Williams didn’t fail in Houston

Wade Phillips, JJ Watt AP

At a time when some are wondering whether defensive end Mario Williams will fail in Buffalo, plenty of folks are willing to apply a “F” to Williams’ six-year tenure in Houston.

Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips isn’t one of them.

“No,” Phillips said Thursday, via comments transcribed and distributed by the team.  “Mario played well for us the early part of last year.”

The fact that Williams was injured early in the 2011 season and the Texans played well without him made it easier for G.M. Rick Smith to let Williams walk away.

“We had time to adjust because it was really four games and nine plays is all he played last year,” Phillips added.  “We had a chance to adjust defensively and see what our players could do.  We had some guys come in that played tremendously well for us, obviously.”

And that obviously made it easier to let Williams leave.  As he returns this weekend for a game between Buffalo and Houston, Phillips is pragmatic about the sounds Mario will hear.

“They booed me when I went back to Buffalo,” Phillips said.  “I did the best I could do.  You’ve got to figure that’s going to happen.”

Speaking of Buffalo, Phillips provided one of the better lines of the week when talking about whether he misses shoveling snow.

“I had somebody do that for me,” Phillips said.  “She’s still with me though.”

The Texans are surely very glad Phillips is still with them.  He has transformed the defense and in turn the fortunes of the franchise, which remains on the short list of elite NFL teams.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Wade Phillips says Mario Williams didn’t fail in Houston”
  1. billsfaninmiami says: Nov 2, 2012 9:42 AM

So he’s failing in Buffalo because he’s stuck carrying around that big sack of dolla dolla bills.

Thanx Houston.

2. fuglyflorio says: Nov 2, 2012 9:50 AM

I bet he has a big picture of Albert Haynesworth on his bedroom ceiling.

3. ermur22 says: Nov 2, 2012 10:00 AM

Phillips is a funny guy

4. frankhad says: Nov 2, 2012 10:07 AM

As this game with Buffalo approaches, far too much has been made of Mario’s departure from Houston. As the local and national media are wont to do, they’ve tried their best to create controversy where none really exists.

Did Rick Smith intentionally snub Mario and send him packing believing they no longer needed him? Not at all. The Texans would have liked to have kept Mario and Mario wanted to stay. He might well have finally achieved those lofty expectations playing in Wade Phillips’ new defense. But, the cash-strapped Texans knew they couldn’t offer Mario the kind of money he was going to command and still keep the rest of the team intact. Offering Mario only what they could afford would have been an insult. They chose not to insult him. No controversy there. Just the realities of the cap that affects all good teams.

5. joetoronto says: Nov 2, 2012 10:12 AM

“They booed me when I went back to Buffalo,” Phillips said. “I did the best I could do. You’ve got to figure that’s going to happen.”

Was that after you proclaimed that the Bills “have punt catchers, not punt returners”?

Or was it after you refused to wear your headset, leaving you completely out of the loop?

6. Jim says: Nov 2, 2012 10:14 AM

Wade: Great Coordinator, Horrible Head Coach.

7. cheapseater says: Nov 2, 2012 10:21 AM

I wanted him on the Jags so badly…

Whew!

8. salmen76 says: Nov 2, 2012 10:56 AM

Mario is a bum. The Texans drafted him over Reggie Bush. The Saints drafted Reggie and proceeded to two championship games, winning one and then won the Super Bowl. Until they got Reggie the Saints had never ever been to a championship game. The Texans never even got a sniff of a championship game with Mario. Cuz they drafted the wrong player! Ha Ha. Facts are Facts! Geaux Saints!

9. texansfan81 says: Nov 2, 2012 11:33 AM

I will not be booing Super Mario.

10. knucklebucket says: Nov 2, 2012 11:37 AM

salmen76 says:
    Nov 2, 2012 10:56 AM

___________________________________

The fact that the Saints got to and won a Championship had way more to do with getting Drew Brees, not Reggie Bush.

11. skolvikings2011 says: Nov 2, 2012 12:03 PM

salmen76 says:
    Nov 2, 2012 10:56 AM

———————————————–
    The Saints title had everything to do with drafting Reggie Bush in 2006 and nothing to do with signing Drew Brees in 2006?

If I recall right, Pierre Thomas was the HB in that offense and the Saints freely let Bush go a year later no longer needing him. Not really sure if your post is serious or not.

12. bathroomben7 says: Nov 2, 2012 12:19 PM

I’m not sure what he’s talking about. I don’t know anyone with half a brain in Houston that thinks Mario Williams was a failure. He accounted for a huge portion of the team’s sacks and was the only defensive player opposing teams ever really worried about back in the dark times prior to Wade Philips arrival. Also throw how some of the other top picks in that draft turned out (Bush, Young, Lionheart) and Id say he had a great run with the Texans.

I’m sure they wanted to keep him but weren’t going to pay near his price tag, especially with how JJ Watt has developed.

13. whitemike55 says: Nov 2, 2012 12:30 PM

As a Texans fan I won’t be booing Mario Williams at the game on Sunday. Did he live up to #1 pick expectations? No… But very few do. He was always batteling with legit injuries.

Did he have that “IT” factor? Absolutely NOT.

Texans knew there was no way they could even come close to signing him. They couldn’t even afford him for 1/2 the price at 50 million and 25 guaranteed.

I know signing our LT Duane Brown, C Chris Myers, and RB Arian Foster were 10x more important than (1) Mario Williams. Oh yeah, we also had to lose RT Eric Winston just to afford those guys.

How on earth could we come close to affording Mario? For the player itself, not worth 100 million. I guarantee Buffalo has buyers remorse with Fitzpatrick and now Mario Williams.

Texans 35
    Bills 17

14. dylude says: Nov 2, 2012 12:52 PM

That Saints fan is kinda funny. Let him celebrate, 1-6 must feel terrible right now, so some revisionist history is just what the Dr. ordered, eh?

Houston drafted Mario over Bush and Vince because they drafted David Carr over Julius Peppers for their first pick and some wrongs you try your entire life to rectify and that had to leave a sour taste in McNair’s mouth.

15. srcnsd says: Nov 2, 2012 1:32 PM

My ideal coaching staff:

HC: Bill Belichick
    OC: Norv Turner
    DC: Wade Philips

16. 8to80texansblog says: Nov 2, 2012 1:46 PM

I will not be booing Mario Williams in Houston. That said, I’m sure he’ll get booed. Not that he really deserves it but most fans are stupid and think he left for the money. Like any of them would stay with their current employer if another came knocking offering double for the same job. Please!

Mario was never a bad player. He was a very good player. Many Texans fans are a bit frustrated with him because he has the capability of being so much more though. John McClain keeps saying if you put JJ Watts heart and drive into Mario, you’d have Reggie White.

So I will welcome Mario back, but I hope he has a bad game with 0 sacks. :)

17. texans3four says: Nov 2, 2012 2:48 PM

The Texans had to make some tough financial decisions to address other personnel needs this year and next. They started dumping or trading key starters [Winston (RT), Vickers (FB), Ryans (LB) in order to make room to keep Chris Myers (C) from becoming a Packer and knowing full well, we had to get a Foster and Schaub deal done before the season started. Mario was too expensive to franchise so he was free to test the market. As a Texan fan who loves our power running game, I miss Mike Brisel (G) more than I miss Mario. I think Foster and Tate miss Brisel as well…

18. mikeyarch53 says: Nov 2, 2012 3:14 PM

Buffalo 45 Texans 6 ….. Then I woke up to my apartment with no power and freezing cold for the 4th straight day…. Thanks a lot Sandy!

19. blazertop says: Nov 3, 2012 6:44 AM

Mario was STILL a better choice in 2006 that Bush and VY. HOF? No. But It’s not like he played half a season and was done.