D.J. Williams: I was dealt an unfair deal and I’m bitter

Denver Broncos v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams is nine days away from finishing his nine-game NFL suspension, and although he’s excited to get back on the field, he’s unhappy with what he says is unfair treatment from the league.

I thought I was dealt an unfair deal,” Williams told USA Today. “There’s a lot of bitterness about it.”

Williams was suspended six games for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy by giving what the NFL said was something other than his own urine to the drug tester. He was then suspended an additional three games for his second drunk driving conviction. Williams, however, says that a lot of people hear about his suspension and assume it was for using steroids, which is untrue.

“For the rest of my career, I’ll have an asterisk beside my name, saying that I used performance enhancers or steroids or whatever,” Williams said. “People forget that when I was 16, I was 6-2, 225. I went to Miami at 233 [pounds]. My dad is huge, my mom competes in fitness and body competition – that’s the genetics that I have gotten passed on. It sucks because I’ll always be questioned on my ability and what I do as if I did steroids.”

But Williams declined to comment on that issue with his urine sample. And according to the NFL’s version of events, it sure sounds like Williams was trying to cheat the drug-testing system. The NFL says that when Williams was tested in both August and September of 2011, the sample he provided turned out to be something other than human urine. And in November of last year, the drug tester who showed up at the Broncos’ locker room to test Williams said he saw Williams holding a bottle near his waist while submitting the test, possibly to pour clean urine from someone else into his sample, and Williams then refused to give the tester the bottle.

Drug testing can’t work if the players are cheating the tests, and if Williams was suspended for cheating the tests, there’s nothing unfair about that.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “D.J. Williams: I was dealt an unfair deal and I’m bitter”
  1. mikeyarch53 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:17 AM

Wahh wahh wahh… If you hadn’t been an idiot , then people wouldn’t think you were an idiot…
    I don’t understand people who complain how bad they have it when they make it hard on themselves…
    Here’s a thought, if you didn’t give them a bad sample, you could be still playing…. Whoa… Crazy huh?

2. FinFan68 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:23 AM

“For the rest of my career, I’ll have an asterisk beside my name, saying that I used performance enhancers or steroids or whatever”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    People will just see him as the cheater he is and, in his case, an extraordinarily dumb one.

3. mute617 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:24 AM

If it wasn’t steroids, why not say why you were trying to cheat the test??

4. eastsideballa says: Nov 3, 2012 7:26 AM

Asterisks are put next to the names of great players whom cheated not average linebackers.

5. eventhorizon04 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:28 AM

I could buy that he wasn’t using steroids, but completely innocent men don’t use a buddy’s urine to pass urine tests.

He specifically denies steroids, but he doesn’t deny any other performance-enhancing drugs. It might actually be Adderral or some other stimulant that increases mental focus but doesn’t affect muscle growth like steroids.

6. brasho says: Nov 3, 2012 7:33 AM

++++++++++++

Having a mom that does fitness and bodybuilding doesn’t prove anything, especially considering half of all fitness and bodybuilding organizations encourage steroids and PEDs. If anything it could possibly implicate who Williams is getting his stuff from… I mean the PEDs, not the animal urine.

7. mamsy2000 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:42 AM

Williams should probably just shut up now and be thankful he’s still being paid by an NFL team. What a dummy.

8. ne4789 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:48 AM

Williams must not realize that even though you may have not taken performance-enhancing drugs, trying to use someone else’s urine or apple juice is a problem. Without question athletes who try to scam the testing system are hiding something, how could he be so stupid to argue he shouldn’t have been suspended due to tampering. As far as his SECOND DUI, I think he could of received more suspensions than three games. Wake up DJ Williams your making yourself look foolish.

9. dolphins512 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:50 AM

Another “Victim” of his own mistakes who is blaming everyone else and not taking responsibility.

10. leo133074 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:50 AM

I handed the compliance administrator a vial of horse urine but im not cheating. yeah – yeah that’s the ticket!

11. trojanwarrior007 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:52 AM

the funniest story was the guy who gave his girlfriend’s’ urine which came back pregnant.

12. hehateme2 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:53 AM

bovine urine?

13. purplengold says: Nov 3, 2012 8:00 AM

So they ran the first test, was his dog on steroids?

14. phonymcringring says: Nov 3, 2012 8:03 AM

No, you got caught. And you’re bitter.

15. chedberg88 says: Nov 3, 2012 8:03 AM

So this is what Mitt Romney was talking about. What an idiot.

16. joetoronto says: Nov 3, 2012 8:04 AM

The Bronco’s should do the right thing and cut his ass.

17. nolaisadump says: Nov 3, 2012 8:06 AM

You got caught, deal with it. You sound angry because you were found out as a cheat and liar.

18. corzman69 says: Nov 3, 2012 8:07 AM

My advice to DJ…Clean up your act, shut up, and play football….A game that millions without your talent would do anything (except cheat a drug test)to do. Signed a lifelong Broncos fan.

19. medialovesthecowboys says: Nov 3, 2012 8:08 AM

Forget drug testing, Deej you need a CAT scan.

20. cuda1234 says: Nov 3, 2012 8:09 AM

What do all these bounty-gate losers have in common? Miami.

DJ Williams, Jonathan Vilma, Jeremy Shockey, Warren Sapp, etc. – all from Miami, all played at the University of Miami. They have all been in corrupt programs all their lives, probably going back to little league and they’re just doing what they’ve been doing all their lives. They really don’t think they’re doing anything wrong because they’re just doing what they’ve always done. (and gotten away with).

21. ggreen7 says: Nov 3, 2012 8:10 AM

What a dope (pun intended).

22. dellkev says: Nov 3, 2012 8:10 AM

What an idiot…

23. vikescry1 says: Nov 3, 2012 8:17 AM

ummm i’d be bitter too, what an unfair deal. i can’t believe they would suspend him for cheating??? (sarcasm)

24. metrocritical says: Nov 3, 2012 8:19 AM

D.J.: For the benefit of fans everywhere, why don’t you elaborate and tell the world exactly what kind of cheater you are so we don’t have to speculate? And did your lack of integrity come from your father and your problems with alcohol come from your mother or us it the other way around? Or was that kind of behavior the only thing that you learned at Miami?

25. broncosnative says: Nov 3, 2012 8:36 AM

Cut that meat, cut that meat, broncos are doing great without him. If you don’t try and punk the system, they wont come down hard on you. Even when Williams comes back, like vilma, he’ll be a non factor and chances broncos will cut this head case come season end.

26. baloneyjohn says: Nov 3, 2012 8:41 AM

Man up. You got caught. SHUT UP about it.
    Running your mouth, won’t solve anything

27. flanjfan says: Nov 3, 2012 8:44 AM

Guy cheats, is caught red handed (yellow handed), is punished reasonably, now cries because people will think he’s a cheater?!?

28. 1bucfan813 says: Nov 3, 2012 9:15 AM

He switched his piss because he was smoking weed and did not want to get cought..Every does it

29. jonny42671 says: Nov 3, 2012 9:25 AM

This guy should be playing for the Saints

30. Patriot42 says: Nov 3, 2012 9:31 AM

You got suspended for being dishonest but maybe you don’t think it was a good reason.

31. ddogdaddy says: Nov 3, 2012 9:31 AM

See why they call it dope?

32. richwizl says: Nov 3, 2012 9:33 AM

Won’t anyone here come to the defense of this poor, misunderstood, cheating whiner?

33. cornersss says: Nov 3, 2012 9:38 AM

Well, think before you do things that will cause people to question your character. Its nobodys fault but yourself. Getting drunk after didn’t help your case.

34. mazblast says: Nov 3, 2012 9:48 AM

N-n-n-n-nobody’s fault but–his.

35. unionsblow1 says: Nov 3, 2012 9:58 AM

he should’ve used Dr X…works every time !

36. mrlaloosh says: Nov 3, 2012 10:09 AM

Vilma, DJ Williams, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Kellen Winslow Jr, Shockey….. The U Rules!

37. raiderapologist says: Nov 3, 2012 10:13 AM

Stupid people that get caught always blame the system.

38. nodindenver says: Nov 3, 2012 10:23 AM

Nothing unfair about what DJ got. The guy is a repeat offender at not following the rules and the only thing he has to worry about is making some plays once he is back so a team takes notice. This guy will burn out and fade away if he cannot get his crap together and I have no idea why his sorry butt is in the news. It sure as heck is not his contributions on the field lately!

39. ltcpain75 says: Nov 3, 2012 10:39 AM

The more DJ talks the more it convinces me his elevator doesn’t go anywhere near to the top!

40. skolhound says: Nov 3, 2012 10:54 AM

The Broncos don’t need this loser. Woodyard is just fine.

41. sevenbridges1 says: Nov 3, 2012 10:59 AM

I see the bigoted, judgmental and know it alls are out in force. And for you self righteous that want to resort to calling this man names, say it to his face and see where it gets you. Now back to your existences.

42. amaf21 says: Nov 3, 2012 11:23 AM

wow he started using steroids and hgh at a young age.

43. maximusprime107 says: Nov 3, 2012 11:54 AM

Such a waste of a roster spot. The Broncos have needed to get rid of him for a while

44. croteus says: Nov 3, 2012 11:57 AM

I’m sure it’s been said already, but as a Broncos fan.. please cut him. Even with whatever he was taking he hasn’t been good in quite awhile. Teams can choose to deal with the idiocy of good players. But why deal with it for a below average linebacker?

45. fm31970 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:07 PM

I agree with Williams 100%.

Sincerely,

Bill Romanowski

46. purplengold says: Nov 3, 2012 12:31 PM

sevenbridges1 says:
    Nov 3, 2012 10:59 AM
    ___________________________________
    Violence is the first resort of a weak mind. Are you D. J. Williams?

47. dabears7190 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:35 PM

What part of being dealt an unfair deal should he be bitter about? I mean, really!

A small percentage of people have the ability to play in the NFL. That’s it. Sounds like a spectacular deal to me.

The ones who should be bitter are the ones who will never be good enough to play football at the highest level sitting there watching those that are absolutely wasting that opportunity with extremely stupid decisions.

At the very least, make use of that college education and pretend you aren’t really this stupid. What makes this guy even more dense is that he believes anyone other than his mother would sympathize with his current situation.

48. mz1394 says: Nov 3, 2012 12:59 PM

he should of borrowed onterrio smiths whizzinator

49. lakedog19352 says: Nov 3, 2012 1:07 PM

Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that three games of the suspension is for his SECOND DUI…to me, thats even dumber (not to mention dangerous) than using pee that’s not his…

50. irishnativeson says: Nov 3, 2012 3:21 PM

“Violence is the first resort of a weak mind. Are you D. J. Williams?” said the purpleandgold girlyman with the massive inferiority complex.

51. purplengold says: Nov 3, 2012 4:12 PM

irishnativeson says:
    Nov 3, 2012 3:21 PM
    ___________________________________
    It seems like you’re projecting.

52. sampulls says: Nov 3, 2012 5:23 PM

Unreal…wouldn’t it be nice if their agents actually told their clients to keep their mouths shut?

53. ermur22 says: Nov 3, 2012 8:17 PM

If it was weed he should admit it. I would rather be thought of as a pot head than a juicer.