Jermichael Finley “feels” his return to high-end performances coming

Jacksonville Jaguars v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Three years ago, the Packers and Cardinals met for an epic wild-card playoff game, an Arena-style shootout that ended with a 51-45 overtime victory by Arizona.

The game included a breakout performance by tight end Jermichael Finley, who caught six passes for 159 yards.

“That was clearly one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever been a part of, of a tight end in a game,” coach Mike McCarthy said Friday, via the Associated Press.

Finley believes that the Packers’ first game against the Cardinals since that day in January 2010 provides an opportunity to get back to that level.  “I feel it. I feel it, seriously,” Finley said.

The talented-yet-underachieving pass-catcher also has quit talking about “chemistry” with his quarterback, focusing instead on matters of trust.

“It’s opportunity, getting trust back from A-Rod,” Finley said.  “If I was the quarterback, I wouldn’t throw it to the guy who’s off rhythm right now, either.  So I’ve got to get that trust back.”

Finley’s confidence has been lifted by Saturday night talks with Aaron Rodgers.  “I’m doing it from here on out every Saturday,” Finley said. “The guy is touching the ball 100 percent of the time. You’ve got to have that trust.  That 30-, 45-minute meeting, that shows a lot.  And he just says, ‘How do you want the ball?’  I tell him, ‘It ain’t how I want it, you tell me what you want me to do.’”

Also giving Finley a kick in the fanny was a video compiled by McCarthy of Finley’s plays against the Cardinals.

“It was revealing,” McCarthy said.  “He was a bigger man then.”

Finley’s production has been virtually nonexistent in recent weeks, with a grand total of nine catches for 78 yards — in the last four games.  Thus, if Finley doesn’t get back to being a bigger man soon, he’ll be playing with men other than the Packers come 2013.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Jermichael Finley “feels” his return to high-end performances coming”
  1. xxwhodatxx says: Nov 3, 2012 1:40 PM

Did he get some new hands?

2. hadjiali says: Nov 3, 2012 1:41 PM

‘It ain’t how I want it, you tell me what you want me to do.’

How ’bout ‘get open and catch’?

3. charliedamon says: Nov 3, 2012 1:53 PM

I feel like you are all hype, and I dropped you from my fantasy squad weeks ago for Owen Daniels…and it’s been totally worth it.

4. bleed4philly says: Nov 3, 2012 2:06 PM

This is Gronk’s bye week, I’ll give you one last chance to prove yourself that you can make it in fantasy football.

5. jhein23 says: Nov 3, 2012 2:16 PM

Last 30 games including postseason for Aaron Rodgers: 25-5 record, 82 TDs 14 Ints.

So I don’t think the problem is the QB JMike

6. ernie ernie says: Nov 3, 2012 2:35 PM

Confidence? When you terrified to get your bell rung just how do you get over that? I would love to see this guy come back but he needs to start making plays up the middle in traffic. This running to the sideline to catch the ball and go out of bounds ain’t working.

7. rickastleydancemoves says: Nov 3, 2012 2:43 PM

Doesn’t matter because you won’t be a Packer after this season anyways.

8. leroysbutler says: Nov 3, 2012 2:52 PM

Hey Jerkmichael, you’ve got an 8 game audition to see if you can be a big part of this offense and keep your mouth shut.

My prediction – Fail.

Have fun in Buffalo next year.

9. granadafan says: Nov 3, 2012 3:03 PM

Maybe he shouldn’t have ordered his lawyer to throw his QB under the bus and not taking ANY responsibility for his awful route running, alligator arms, taking plays off, and dropping every other ball. Gee, no wonder Rodgers doesn’t trust Finley as he’s getting pounded by defenders.

10. riverace19 says: Nov 3, 2012 3:09 PM

Can’t wait to see him wear a different uniform next year… What a waste

11. mnnightowl says: Nov 3, 2012 3:13 PM

What ever happened to just letting your play on the field do the talking?

12. gbfan says: Nov 3, 2012 3:21 PM

yawn..

Won a Super Bowl without him, not worth the headache.

13. deltaoracle says: Nov 3, 2012 3:39 PM

He is to the receiving corps what Daryn Colledge was to the OLine. Lots of talk, not much production. And this is the guy who wanted top five WIDE RECEIVER money. Wow. Soon, like Colledge, he’ll be able to take his act to a non-contending team.

14. 4512dawg4512 says: Nov 3, 2012 3:52 PM

LeroySbutler—- That cracked me up! Nice

15. taintedsaints2009 says: Nov 3, 2012 4:36 PM

The packers offense won the Super Bowl without him. It opened up their receivers more. I say bench the guy nod let Rodgers focus on the guys outside.

16. notdoingwork says: Nov 3, 2012 4:40 PM

This dude is sofa king we todd id.

17. cags777 says: Nov 3, 2012 6:39 PM

You want to gain chemistry with your QB? Start catching the balls when they are thrown your way. Remember, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers won a Super Bowl without you. And I am sure they can do it again.

18. houseboat99 says: Nov 3, 2012 7:31 PM

Most overrated tight end I can ever remember. He is a drop machine and Green Bay doesn’t need him at all. I wouldn’t be shocked they tried to trade him and unload his contract.

19. vikescry1 says: Nov 4, 2012 8:43 AM

i can feel it too jmike!!!! you r so good! don’t listen to all these haters!!!! all those skills you got, who needs to catch the ball? run the right routes? i feel it too though, i”m sure you’ll get your 1 catch for 8 yards and a first down. can’t wait to c your bigtime celebration too! work hard! get your 8 yards and drop 4 or 5 passes. i hope you and your agent yotto your way out of town. overpaid mouth.

20. humpalmd says: Nov 4, 2012 9:56 AM

I wish he would stop talking and start catching first downs.

But i hope he is right. If he gets to be a premier tight end again, the Packers will be unstoppable.

21. johnnyb216 says: Nov 4, 2012 12:09 PM

I bet Rodgers just loves hearing that Finley plans on continuing to keep him up until 11:30 at night every night before a game for the rest of the seaso.

22. Kelly's Chronicles says: Nov 5, 2012 3:30 PM

1 catch for 6 yards. Yep he’s back alright….