Richard Seymour insists he’s not dirty, but got fined for hit on Cassel

Richard Seymour AP

Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour took exception to it when Chiefs defensive end Tamba Hali called his team dirty. But the league office said one of Seymour’s hits against the Chiefs was a cheap shot.

The NFL has confirmed that Seymour was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer because he unnecessarily threw Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel to the ground after Cassel had thrown a pass. The hit drew a penalty that gave the Chiefs first-and-goal at the 10-yard line, setting up a touchdown on the next play, although it didn’t matter much because the Raiders already had a 26-9 lead with two minutes left in the fourth quarter.

Seymour had said prior to the game that he was bothered by the way Hali described the Raiders as dirty.

“Any time you play the game, you should play with a chip on your shoulder,” Seymour said. “You should play with an attitude. But in terms of being dirty, going out to hurt guys, I don’t think I play that way or any of my teammates [play dirty]. I don’t stand for it. But we do play tough and physical. I do believe that’s the way the game is supposed to be played. I respect guys that play the same way.”

But on that play, the league office didn’t respect the way Seymour played.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Richard Seymour insists he’s not dirty, but got fined for hit on Cassel”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 3, 2012 9:18 AM

Keep bringing it, Sey!

2. mikeyarch53 says: Nov 3, 2012 9:25 AM

The league shod hold lottery … Every time a player gets fined, a random person will get half of the money ! What an idea

3. pftcensorssuck says: Nov 3, 2012 9:38 AM

before the game:
    “But in terms of being dirty, going out to hurt guys, I don’t think I play that way or any of my teammates [play dirty]. I don’t stand for it. But we do play tough and physical. I do believe that’s the way the game is supposed to be played. I respect guys that play the same way”

after the game:
    “The NFL has confirmed that Seymour was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer because he unnecessarily threw Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel to the ground after Cassel had thrown a pass”

Actions speak louder than words, Richard.

4. mazblast says: Nov 3, 2012 9:52 AM

Next, they’ll be fining defensive players for breathing hard near a quarterback. Or sweating.

5. bombayjon says: Nov 3, 2012 10:03 AM

Roughing thr passer??? It’s Cassell! Does he really qualify as “the passer”? And how was Seymour supposed to know that? Typical anti- Raider bias by the league.

6. raiderapologist says: Nov 3, 2012 10:07 AM

It was unnecessary. “Dirty” is arguable.

7. jdcush31 says: Nov 3, 2012 10:42 AM

The hit was late but Cassel did a lot of acting. He was writhing in pain one moment and then fine the next.Also it seemed the Chiefs were trying to start fights all game. There were several plays where they were shoving players after the play was over. There hasn’t been any other Raider games where I have seen that this season. Then against the Chargers on Thursday I saw the same thing, curious they only have one win.

8. wayne1693 says: Nov 3, 2012 10:59 AM

Speaking of the Chiefs…I wish Steve Spurrier could bet Pete Carroll that Alabama would beat the point-spread if they ever played K.C.

9. raiderapologist says: Nov 3, 2012 11:09 AM

I will say one thing about Hali. He didn’t do anything remotely dirty last Sunday. He flat-out didn’t do anything, period.

10. jnbnet says: Nov 3, 2012 11:36 AM

Seymour plays hard and plays to the whistle. With the rules geared up to protect players, any defensive player is more apt to draw a flag. The fast pace of the game has increased the amout of flags thrown against the defense. I think just about any team would love to have Seymour on their roster.

11. kattykathy says: Nov 3, 2012 11:43 AM

And Seymour is a team captain. That shows how classy the team is

12. chuckxx says: Nov 3, 2012 11:52 AM

All you have to do to verify is go back with your dvr and you can watch Seymour slamming Cassel to the ground and then even taunting him afterwards. The 15 yard penalty and fine was the correct call.

13. csilojohnson says: Nov 3, 2012 12:50 PM

You thought wrong Seymour. Defense is an illegal play these days.

14. radrntn says: Nov 3, 2012 1:15 PM

hmmm let me think about this. Big Rich makes $18 million this year, approx 1.8 million per game, 15 grand out of 1.8 million, so in other words its like the avg joe had to pay $0.75 cents…..it was worth playing agressive, seeing how the chiefs did not have another qb on the roster suited up, after quinn got ko’ed.

15. radrntn says: Nov 3, 2012 1:21 PM

i also find some irony that the league and media “promotes” goldson’s “clean” hit on defenseless early doucett who in returns gets knocked out of a game, but a d-lineman running down and sacking a qb who is out of the pocket looking to pass the ball, gets fined and penalized when he sacks him……just does not make sense. Personally I loved both plays, and both are part of the game.

16. war27 says: Nov 3, 2012 2:04 PM

He didn’t throw him to the ground, it was called football. bad flag even worse fine.

17. Matt says: Nov 3, 2012 3:48 PM

Big Rich has been my favorite Raider for a few years now. He plays so fiery. Don’t worry about whether it’s clean or dirty, offensive linemen hold on every friggin’ play in the NFL.

18. hendeeze says: Nov 3, 2012 4:06 PM

@radrntn : You’re just mad the Niners safeties can hit harder than Oaklands defense (and make the tackle too!) Downvote if your in denial!

19. hendeeze says: Nov 3, 2012 4:07 PM

*you’re

20. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 3, 2012 5:52 PM

Dick Seymour has never been known as dirty.