During Sunday night’s interview with NBC’s Bob Costas, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones gave a vague and confusing answer regarding the status of talks with quarterback Tony Romo.
Asked whether Jones intends to ensure that Romo will be the quarterback of the Cowboys for the duration of his career, even though his contract expires after the 2013 season, Jones said, “Now [are] we negotiating for him right now? I probably have let the cat out of the bag, but that’s — I know that I haven’t. But yes, I do.”
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram recently has reported that talks have started. A source close to Romo tells PFT that’s not the case.
“No talks have been happening,” the source said, adding that there were casual talks before the season but nothing lately.
Earlier this year, reports emerged of possible talks between the Cowboys and Romo. We reported that Romo wasn’t interested at this point, and Jones eventually admitted that the negotiations had been tabled.
Despite Jones’ vague comments, it’s our understanding that they remain tabled.