Aaron Rodgers likes not having one owner

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers waits to be announced before the start of the NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals in Green Bay Reuters

With thousands and thousands of people owning a piece of the Packers, quarterback Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have one person who holds the paper — and in turn his rights.

He likes it that way.

I think it’s great,” Rodgers told 60 Minutes in a profile that aired Sunday night.  “You don’t have somebody who got a ton of money but doesn’t know a whole lot about football trying to tell you what to do.”

Of course, if that were ever to happen to Rodgers, he could just lock the guy out of the locker room.

The entertaining segment included an exchange with a fan who had won a contest to meet Rodgers shaking the 2011 MVP’s hand and saying, “You look a lot smaller than I thought you’d be.”

Said Rodgers in response to the fan, “I don’t appreciate that.”

(It kind of reminded me of the heartwarming moment when I met Ross Tucker and he said, “Hey, you’re not as ugly as you are on TV.”)

Why is Rodgers so sensitive about his six-foot, two-inch frame?  “I just think that’s one of the more ridiculous comments that could be thrown at me, especially coming from somebody who’s five-seven,” Rodgers told Scott Pelley.

Receiver Greg Jennings separately explained the dynamic to Pelley.  “He’s sensitive so you gotta careful what you say around him,” Jennings said of Rodgers.  “He takes everything to heart.  Like once he sees this interview, he’s gonna be sensitive to the fact that we’re saying he’s sensitive.”

It’s good that he’s sensitive.  Because it seems to motivate him.  And it humanizes him.

To a certain extent we’re all sensitive.  The question is whether we’re willing to be honest with ourselves and everyone else about it.

And in Rodgers’ case it helps explain why he’s glad not to have a billionaire owner who is in position to tell Rodgers what to do and how to do it.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Aaron Rodgers likes not having one owner”
  1. azarkhan says: Nov 5, 2012 11:23 AM

“You don’t have somebody who got a ton of money but doesn’t know a whole lot about football trying to tell you what to do.” Paging Bud Adams, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, etc.

2. skittlesareyum says: Nov 5, 2012 11:25 AM

OK, I’m a Packers fan, I like Rodgers, and I never agreed with people who thought him a jerk, but this time he seems a little like a jerk. I thought the “you look shorter in person” line was always kind of a joke. It might be lame, but it’s just like saying “hi mom” when the camera goes in your face.

3. phluff127 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:27 AM

There’s a difference between sensitive and being petty. Taking “you look smaller in person” as some ridiculously hurtful or stupid comment is petty. There is also a difference between being sensitive to what people say and being prone to sticking peoples words in their face when they are wrong, as he did with his old college professor on a popular radio show. Congrats Aaron, you sure showed her!

GO PACK

4. randolph32 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:28 AM

I’d take him for my team in a second, hell of a player.

5. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 5, 2012 11:29 AM

I never thought I’d see the day when Brett Favre is the 2nd most diva QB in franchise history. Didn’t take long to get bumped either.

6. cobrala2 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:29 AM

Thank you: THAT was an outside-the-box blog about football that interesting without having any particular agenda. THAT is the kind of blog I felt like was fairly regular on PFT in years past and THAT is the kind of blog that draws my interests here.

7. burnttoast71854 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:31 AM

Cowboy fan here & would love to see the cowboys owned & operated like the packers. That team is a laughing stock. Congress should pass a law that ALL teams to be owned by the city it resides in. Just kidding about the congress thing, but it sure would be nice if Jerra & his family would just go AWAY.

8. gavriloprincip33 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:35 AM

Reading between the lines, “I would hate to play the Cowboys”…

9. mikeeg says: Nov 5, 2012 11:38 AM

Packers are done. They could have been a dynasty, but they lost the fire and now are more focused on doing commercials

10. cardmagnet says: Nov 5, 2012 11:42 AM

11. nbaraie says: Nov 5, 2012 11:42 AM

Bills fans hate having 1 owner.

12. charism4 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:44 AM

“I don’t appreciate that” is Rodgers’ way of hamming it up for the viewers. Tone is lost in text. It’s a joke. Rodgers plays the media better than anyone. He’s more honest than most and I think I’d let him buy me a beer. Seems like a cool guy.

13. jjrs89 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:55 AM

I like Rodgers a lot but that comment to the fan bugs me. Seems like the fan was just trying to make a playful comment to someone he viewed as larger than life and Rodgers got upset and seemed stand offish in a moment that could have been one of the best moments in that fans life. Pretty lame in my opinion.

14. photoguy13 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:55 AM

I thought that 60 Minutes did a good job with this piece. They showed the human side of a great football player and attempted to explain why he seems to do so well with this small town team. People who hate him or the Packers will try to use this candid portrayal to label him as a diva or worse, but this piece showed him as a sensitive guy who hasn’t let fame and fortune go to his head. Kudos to 60 Minutes.

15. Stiller43 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:55 AM

Maybe that guy in the pizza hut commercial COULD pass as him on the field then.

16. asublimeday says: Nov 5, 2012 12:05 PM

I’m sure Rogers boyfriend will be there to comfort him

17. burnttoast71854 says: Nov 5, 2012 12:16 PM

gavriloprincip33 says:
    Nov 5, 2012 11:35 AM
    Reading between the lines, “I would hate to play the Cowboys”…

Really, the cowboys are a joke as long Jerra ownes the team all teams say out loud I would love to play the cowboys it’s a sure victory. What’s the one consistent thing with the cowboys since that so called GM fired Jimmy Johnson, answer the Stupid GM. All apologize to stupid people. No one would hate to play the cowboys wake up we suck, Jerra is the problem. Stop doing this to urself. The truth hurts I know but after last nite all cowboy fans should boycott that team.

18. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 5, 2012 12:28 PM

He also likes lavish Broadway musicals.

19. imjinbrdgr says: Nov 5, 2012 12:30 PM

Hey, everybody can’t be Bart Starr.

20. cliverush says: Nov 5, 2012 12:30 PM

Not all One Owner Teams have a boss who wants to call the shots. Those teams are successful by using the practice of allowing the football people to run the show. ( Giants, Steelers, Pats, Falcons ) The Chiefs have such an owner and could use someone like Sean Payton to come in an run things.

21. granadafan says: Nov 5, 2012 12:35 PM

I heard the comment and it was clearly a joke. When it’s merely typed out, you can’t see the joke. Lighten up.

22. jm91rs says: Nov 5, 2012 12:36 PM

Decent interview. My wife grew up in GB and loves this guy (still loves favre too for some reason). The only problem I had with the interview was that it was done on a bench with some weird side camera angle that made it look like rodgers was trying to do some Zoolander model poses while answering questions. Even my wife (who never misses an opportunity to tell me how much she loves him) kept saying “why are they doing this creepy shot?”

23. riverace19 says: Nov 5, 2012 12:36 PM

Hey Crown:
    Don’t talk about things you don’t know. Rodgers and Favre couldn’t be more different and Favre defines diva.
    Go back to your corner and come back with something more creative next time

24. baloneyjohn says: Nov 5, 2012 12:38 PM

It helps to be with a winning team.
    Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones are two clueless owners.

25. chi01town says: Nov 5, 2012 12:40 PM

I thought I was the only one to think that was Rodgers husband on that pizza commercial.

26. golforepar says: Nov 5, 2012 12:46 PM

chi 0 Who did the Bears lose too?? Quitler was crying again!

27. howiehandles says: Nov 5, 2012 12:47 PM

“He is happy to have thousands of “owners” who were conned into buying a piece of paper claiming they own something they really don’t have any ownership control over? Lol”

Conned? I doubt anyone bought Packer’s stock believing that it would provide any sort of income. It’s sentimental, and pretty awesome to say that you own a minuscule fraction of your favorite team.

Signed, a Bear’s fan.

28. glac1 says: Nov 5, 2012 12:51 PM

He’ll be forced out of Green Bay when his contract is up. He can go to a team in a state that isn’t so heavily taxed like Wisconsin.. and save millions.

29. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 5, 2012 12:56 PM

Just A. Rudejerk being A. Rudejerk. Brett Favre was listed as being 6-2 as well, but in the pictures of them together, Favre looks about 3 inches taller.

30. fm31970 says: Nov 5, 2012 1:00 PM

Where were all the Jerry Jones haters when he was winning THREE Super Bowls? Yes, he hasn’t done very well lately (cue the Janet Jackson song), but he has three SB rings…to Rodgers’ one. Ditto for Brett Favre.

Rodgers still has a team President and GM to answer to, and let’s be realistic about the Packers’ publicly owned deal- most of those shareholders’ shares are so diluted, their votes are token votes at best. Yes, it’s a very unique situation, but it hasn’t proven its superiority over traditional ownership and the competitive balance of the NFL will ensure it stays that way.

Rodgers come across as smug at times, but I think that’s just his introverted personality. And compared to the previous QB who wore his feelings on his sleeve, it’s quite a difference.

31. packownsu says: Nov 5, 2012 1:10 PM

I don’t care too much about words written about the QB of my team. I learned more about Rodgers yesterday than words can ever do. Seeing him follow the RB and then dive on that fumble knowing a ton of lineman would then jump on him says it all.

32. azarkhan says: Nov 5, 2012 1:20 PM

fm31970 says: Where were all the Jerry Jones haters when he was winning THREE Super Bowls?

We think Jimmy Johnson had more to do with the Cowboys winning those 3 Super Bowls than Jerry Jones.

33. nard100 says: Nov 5, 2012 1:23 PM

It’s true Rodgers has a little edge to him, but I tell you what, I don’t care because most of the time he can keep it in check (I’m thinkin’ his wife probably plays a big role in that), and even as a Giants fan, I have a man-crush on him.

Watching him execute yesterday, all I could think was; “Cam and RGIII, are you watching? This is how and when you run the ball.” Lost one of his best receivers yesterday, and most of the day the others were covered, yet he blew that game up in the end.

34. war27 says: Nov 5, 2012 1:28 PM

So do these thousands of owners pay taxes?

Oh no that’s right, only those “owners” close enough to the stadium pay taxes on the Packers, like it or not.

Such a farce.

35. gbpbacker84 says: Nov 5, 2012 1:30 PM

Call them divas, sit back in your chairs and pretend you know what it is to have the franchise on your shoulders and come through more often than not. Favre and Rodgers are 2 of the best QB’s of all time and have made my life as a football fan very rewarding. End of story.

36. orcheon says: Nov 5, 2012 1:34 PM

>>He is happy to have thousands of “owners” who were conned into buying a piece of paper claiming they own something they really don’t have any ownership control over? Lol

I wasn’t conned into buying it. It’s a piece of memorabilia that I have hanging on my wall, with the money spent on it going to renovating the stadium.

Oh, i’m sorry, your city paid for your stadium and you got nothing in return except a property tax bill?

37. tgreeley says: Nov 5, 2012 1:48 PM

Yeah, I remember Favre the diva diving into the end zone with a separated shoulder, passing for tds with a hand that was swollen to what seemed twice the normal size, throwing blocks as part of his normal way of doing things, playing even though it was realized later that he had probably suffered a concussion. Give me more divas. The best part is the Packers have another q-back who will do what he thinks necessary to win.

38. yooperman says: Nov 5, 2012 1:52 PM

1. The stock holders vote for the Board of Directors, they hire the CEO, the CEO hires the GM and the Head Coach. I’d call that a “little control.”

39. gbpbacker84 says: Nov 5, 2012 2:01 PM

Back to the diva thing, I’m pretty sure I’d call John Elway and Eli Manning bigger divas than any QB’s due to the fact that they whined and pouted their way to draft day trades by saying they’d never play for the teams that had the #1 pick (Colts for Elway and Chargers for Manning). Did Favre have a hard time making up his mind and letting go, sure. Did he give it his all and put his body on the line game after game? Absolutely. I was sad at the way things ended for him in Green Bay, but Rodgers has carried the torch and is not even close to a diva. He has a dry sense of humor that gets lost on a lot of people too blinded by their football bias that immediately call him a prima donna. Nothing could be further from the truth.

40. kaferwerks says: Nov 5, 2012 2:15 PM

Arrogant Rodgers strikes again. Funny how so many of you can’t see him for the tool he really is

41. bobnelsonjr says: Nov 5, 2012 2:26 PM

It was the first time I watched the far left 60 minutes since the 1980′s.

I was not surprised that to help their ratings they waited until late into the show to put on Rodgers.

It was a surprisingly well done biography about how the spirit of Green Bay helped Rodgers grow into manhood.

The positives of the Green Bay Packers organization just draw you in. Everybody loves the Green Bay Packers even if they are your 2nd favorite team.

42. thepvyharvin says: Nov 5, 2012 2:40 PM

The only one that owns the Packers is the Vikings,,,

43. mineallmine001 says: Nov 5, 2012 2:58 PM

——————————————–

The Herschel Walker trade, also known as “The Great Train Robbery”, was the largest player trade in the history of the National Football League.[1] It involved 18 players and draft picks.[2] The trade was made on October 12, 1989, between the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings.

44. northstars1991 says: Nov 5, 2012 3:03 PM

I want to own stock in my NFL team just like Packer fans do! I am tired of being held hostage to the endless demands and threats from out of state billionaire owners. It certainly works in Green Bay, WI which is also the smallest market in all of professional sports.

45. northstars1991 says: Nov 5, 2012 3:09 PM

As a Viking fan who hates the Packers, I love everything about that franchise and what their fans, players, stadium and history stand for!

46. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 5, 2012 3:17 PM

@tgreeley,

Playing through injuries doesn’t automatically dismiss the diva tag. It actually has little to do with it. The diva reputation comes from things that take place outside of the play clock.

47. dustforvomit says: Nov 5, 2012 3:44 PM

I didn’t understand this 60 minutes segment because they chalk it up like he’s uncomfortable in the spotlight and hates attention but he’s in 90% of commercials shown during football games, give me a break.

48. deltaoracle says: Nov 5, 2012 4:13 PM

People who think he was actually mad at the fan probably think that all those “reality” shows on TV are nothing but the truth too.

49. footballer4ever says: Nov 5, 2012 6:01 PM

Could it be his height sensitivity “issue” has more to do with lack of size somewhere “else” and it just strikes his manhood nerve within him??

He might be 6’2″ allright, but maybe nature played a prank on him by giving him a 2.6″ “pride”.

50. jonny42671 says: Nov 5, 2012 6:38 PM

So instead he has a bunch if toothless drunks??

51. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 5, 2012 7:23 PM

His HOF induction speech will be amazing.