Mario Williams: “It was great” getting booed in Houston

Buffalo Bills v Houston Texans Getty Images

Bills defensive end Mario Williams was booed by the fans in Houston when he played against his old team on Sunday, and although Williams wasn’t happy that the Texans won, he says he was happy to hear the boos.

“It was great,” Williams told the Buffalo News after the game. “The biggest thing for me is if you go out and make a play and get booed, I know I’m in your heart. That’s the most important thing. If it’d been quiet, then I would’ve felt something different. I know you’re thinking about me.”

Williams, who was playing for the first time since having surgery on a wrist injury that has bothered him all season, said he felt fine. And Williams played well, leading the Bills in tackles and having a sack and a tackle for a three-yard loss on a running play.

“I believe it’s healing now instead of just being stagnant,” Williams said of his wrist. “That definitely boosted my morale.”

Still, with the Texans winning and improving to 7-1 while the Bills fell to 3-5, there must be a part of Williams that’s disappointed to have left the best team in the AFC to sign with one of the worst. Returning to Houston serves as a reminder for Williams that when he signed the most lucrative free agent contract for a defensive player in NFL history, he left a good chance at winning a Super Bowl ring behind.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Mario Williams: “It was great” getting booed in Houston”
  1. meytonpanning says: Nov 5, 2012 10:24 AM

I think the Texans might have the best looking female fan-base next to the Cowboys.

2. mrmanuel99 says: Nov 5, 2012 10:27 AM

Mann we don’t give a damn about you in H-Town Mario… This is the reason we glad you are gone now, because you have always been worried more about yourself than the team… U should be mad ur team lost, but ur only glad u got Booed… #MiddleFingersUp…

3. paychrisjohnson28 says: Nov 5, 2012 10:32 AM

If I re-call you all had a previous article that said the Houston Texans made virtually no effort to attempt to re-sign Mario Williams. He did choose to sign with a team that is perennially a doormat in the AFC for the money. A team says they are willing to offer you $100 million contract… I’m sure his ears perked up and said could you repeat that ?

In the NFL, a great draft or two can turn a team into a winning franchise, it is possible…. Stay tuned:

4. txtuff says: Nov 5, 2012 10:35 AM

Mario is good for 2 or 3 good games when the spotlight is on him. But normally he has more then one sack in those games. So when the home fans start booing him when he goes sackless and 1 tackle back at home he will feel good because he knows he is in their hearts LOL!

5. protagoras111 says: Nov 5, 2012 10:36 AM

My goodness. This guy is such an insecure loser. At least he admitted that the most important thing to him was to know that he was still in Houston’s heart as they booed him. That is the most important thing, right Bills fans? And hey, his team is 3-5 and the season’s essentially over but his morale is boosted! Yay!

6. Davo says: Nov 5, 2012 10:39 AM

Mario Williams only has himself to blame – he went into Free Agency saying money wasn’t the driver, but only visited one team and took a massive financial package. The guy could have played for any team and certainly any contender, as long as he took less money than he could have earned. So, no excuses, he’s playing for money, he’s getting a lot of it, he should be putting in an equivalent level of effort.

7. rahavort says: Nov 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Hey Mario, was it also great that your new team got trampled by your previous one?

8. ttommytom says: Nov 5, 2012 10:42 AM

How many former players sell their SB ring down the road.

I’ll take the money ( just not from Buffalo, Jacksonville or Cleveland ).

9. dg0122 says: Nov 5, 2012 10:52 AM

Mario is the real honey badger- he dont give a $h!ttt

10. paychrisjohnson28 says: Nov 5, 2012 10:52 AM

As for Mario, it is hard for Amy athlete to except they are on a losing team…

11. rabidbillsfan says: Nov 5, 2012 11:06 AM

Dear Houston fans,

I agree, your team has improved by leaps and bounds from where you were when Williams was drafted, however, don’t forget there was a reason your team held the #1 pick in the draft. As a Bills fan, I am cautiously optomistic about yesterday. The WHOLE defense played a much better game, take away one big play and they played like a top-20 defense, which is about 150 yards better per game than where we were at. Still, the Bills franchise has alot more history than that of any Houston team really, so until you win something meaningful, you should put a lid on the “God’s gift to the NFL” demeanor, it’s off putting and I do support your team and hope them the best. Something Houston fans are missing in the whole Mario Williams in Buffalo deal is that he doesn’t have to register 15 sacks a season. He just needs to be effective enough to allow guys like Kyle Willaims, Dareus, Moore, Kelsay and Anderson to be effective. He did that yesterday, and registered a team high in tackles and his sack, If that continues all season, it makes the signing a little bit easier to swallow.

Signed,

A Bills fan who hopes his team turns it around like the Texans did, and hopes they demolish the Patriots.

12. wenellniners says: Nov 5, 2012 11:09 AM

he never left the team. they simply didn’t offer him a contract.

13. schmitty2 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:17 AM

I looked at this picture for 30 seconds and never did read what the sign said

14. mikeyarch53 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:23 AM

Bills fan here , and I can say when they signed Mario I was so happy… Now I think this way… I don’t believe any defensive player is worth $100mill… How many games will he actually win the team? An offensive player, such as QB is worth every penny of that because they touch the ball 60+ times a game and can effect the outcome…
    Buffalo getting Mario said they want to win but… Spent that money on the wrong position

15. bennyb82 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:32 AM

He has only played a handful of games so far on the Bills. I am guessing years down the line if the Bills are still bad, he will be rethinking his decision…although surely not publicly.

16. protagoras111 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:44 AM

rabidbillsfan,
    The reason the Texans held the #1 pick is because the franchise was 4 years into its existence and was being run into the ground by Charlie Casserly. What is your excuse for 7 (going on 8) straight losing seasons? And yeh, Mario was worth the money if he just gets a little more pressure than he is now… Keep telling yourself that. You might believe it one day!

17. EJ says: Nov 5, 2012 11:47 AM

rabidbillsfan says: Nov 5, 2012 11:06 AM

Dear Houston fans,

Signed,

I second that.

18. chilomane says: Nov 5, 2012 11:49 AM

Get over it, they made the descion not to bring you back your a bill.

19. dalucks says: Nov 5, 2012 11:58 AM

As a Texans fan, I am glad Mario left. He could not say no to 50 million dollars guaranteed with the ability to make another 50 million dollars over the next five years. Some idiots will say athletes should play for a championship ring but that is the thought of an amateur. Once you become a professional, it is all about how much money an athlete can make even though the media does not want to talk about the elephant in the room.
    As a Texans fan, I hope Mario plays well this season for the Bills because that will help the Texans get better. How you ask? The Texans will receive a compensatory pick since Mario left via free agency so the better he plays, the higher the pick. Max out Mario because a 3rd round pick is the maximum level compensatory pick.
    I am one Texans fan who has no hard feeling toward Mario as I realize you made a business decision.

20. grandmachine says: Nov 5, 2012 12:06 PM

I wish the women in my area were as hot as the girl in the picture.

21. sin101 says: Nov 5, 2012 12:13 PM

You say now it would be okay for him to be 100 million dollar decoy,but you need more than that.That opinion wouldn’t last long if the rest of the D-line isn’t making plays.As a Houston fan,the thing I’ve noticed about the difference in good teams and bad teams.Is the ability to play pretty consistently for four quarters.The Bills got worn down yesterday.

22. texansdude says: Nov 5, 2012 12:15 PM

If I were Mario, I would have taken the time to enter the stands and politely answer that young lady’s question in person.

23. htown1035 says: Nov 5, 2012 12:37 PM

paychrisjohnson28 says: Nov 5, 2012 10:52 AM

—————————————————
    The Texans sleptwalk to a 21-9 win. They’ll play much better against the Bears, who they were already talking about playing after the game.

Oh, and Chicago, this isn’t the Titans you’re playing.

24. granadafan says: Nov 5, 2012 12:41 PM

Haha, I know the girl in that picture. FYI, that picture doesn’t even show how hot she is in person. She’s dumb as a box of rocks, but lots of fun.

25. siggtacular says: Nov 5, 2012 12:41 PM

Lets not get ahead of ourselves…. I see the Ravens or Broncos getting them in the playoffs… Ravens had too many fresh faces in the first bout

26. houstontexans99 says: Nov 5, 2012 1:02 PM

Now watch Mario disappear for the rest of the year. Yesterday was as hard as he’s played in his entire career. Get off the drugs siggtacular, ravens are going nowhere w/ all the injuries

27. billhicks666 says: Nov 5, 2012 1:20 PM

paychrisjohnson28 says:

“The Texans beat the Bills 21-9. Hardly a trouncing. When thee Chicago Bears #1 rushing defense, trounces the Houston Texans this coming Sunday, then what ? Where will you Texans fans be?”

Where will we be? Enjoying our winning football team, which is significantly more than you can say about your Titans. Don’t be so sure that the Bears will destroy the Texans the same way they destroyed your Titans. In case you hadn’t noticed, the Texans are much, much better than your Titans, and thus stand a much better chance of beating the Bears than your hapless bunch did.

28. grogansheroes says: Nov 5, 2012 2:09 PM

Mario Williams: “It was great” getting booed in Houston

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 5, 2012, 10:19 AM EST

Getty Images

Permalink 27 Comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
    Previous: Ron Rivera: I think we’ve kind of found our wayNext: Rex Ryan says the Jets are “not even close”
    27 Responses to “Mario Williams: “It was great” getting booed in Houston”
    meytonpanning says:

36 12
    rahavort says:
    Nov 5, 2012 10:40 AM

36 26
    ttommytom says:
    Nov 5, 2012 10:42 AM
    How many former players sell their SB ring down the road.

I’ll take the money ( just not from Buffalo, Jacksonville or Cleveland ).

34 38
    dg0122 says:
    Nov 5, 2012 10:52 AM
    Mario is the real honey badger- he dont give a $h!ttt

34 6
    paychrisjohnson28 says:
    Nov 5, 2012 10:52 AM

As for Mario, it is hard for Amy athlete to except they are on a losing team…

12 57
    rabidbillsfan says:
    Nov 5, 2012 11:06 AM
    Dear Houston fans,

Signed,

—————————————————-
    Keep up the optimism, Tom Brady is only 19-2 against the Bills. I think the Pats are going to score more points this time, and the Bills less points than the last time they met. And I’m a Pats pessimist.

29. citnetter says: Nov 5, 2012 2:16 PM

I have no ill-will towards Mario, and I laugh at those fans who say they wouldn’t have taken the $$ offer. Shoot, if someone offered you that kind of percentage increase in your yearly salary you’d jump on it. With that being said, Houston had no choice but to let Marios walk. He wasn’t performing up that sort of standard and the Texas didn’t even have the cap space offer him a fraction of what his F-Tag price would have been.

Here’s the most important thing, though… The Texas didn’t need him. And while Mario had a good game yesterday, the TV ‘experts’ never mentioned or made theconnection that the guy the Texans drafted to replace him, Whitney Mercilus, ultimately had a bigger impact on the outcome of the game (a sack, and a game-closing forced fumble) than Mario did.

30. richc111 says: Nov 5, 2012 3:00 PM

I guess that explains why he didn’t care when the Bills fans were booing him earlier in the season

31. namaths5thofwhiskey says: Nov 5, 2012 4:47 PM

Bills Lost.

32. Dr. Jeff Kapp says: Nov 5, 2012 5:16 PM

Mario was a class act in Houston, and never wanted to leave. Unfortunately, the NFL is a business, and it didnt make vusiness sense to keep him, taking nothing away from his talwnt or production.
    That being said, it was classless for Houston fans to boo super Mario. Williams has much to do with where the Texans are now, in so very many ways.
    Perhaps for the Texans topve up to the next level, one factor that would help is a fan v ase with class, one expecting great efforts, and applauding great efforts from either team; rhe Texans, or their opponent..
    As a full fledged Texans fan, I am hoping that: we find a solution to a missing Brian Cushing, we find and utilize some serious downfield threats, a possession receiver, and the courage ro start again playing aggressive football on both sides of the ball–especially on the O side.
    The potential is there, let’s utilize it!
    Go Texans!!

Bulls On Parade !

33. 16x8equal49ers says: Nov 6, 2012 9:55 AM

Yep and he knew that. Leaving a good chance at a title run or a lucrative contract. Few players want to win titles they want large contracts because they have a limited time/opportunity to do so. After all they do play a game, trophies only fill up a cabinet (Superbowl trophy stays at work) you gotta be able to bring something home.

34. gobills716 says: Nov 6, 2012 5:31 PM

Before you crown the Texans super bowl champs in the first week of November… Remember they didn’t exactly destroy the Bills on Sunday. The game was there for the taking. The Bills offense was able to move the ball on a great defense and it could have been a much different game if the Bills wouldn’t have abandoned the run. The “worst defense in NFL history” largely kept the Texans offense in check the whole game. People were predicting Foster to have 2,000 yards rushing on Sunday but the Bills held him to a modest day. I don’t get people acting like the Bills will never be good again. This team was 4-12 two years ago, a 6-10 last year, and they have a lot of winnable games left and realistically could finish 8-8. Last time I checked, it took the Texans almost a decade to build themselves into a super bowl contender. Give the Bills some time.

35. htown1035 says: Nov 7, 2012 10:36 AM

gobills716 says: Nov 6, 2012 5:31 PM

—————————————————–

First off, they didn’t destroy the Bills, but they were coming off the bye, the offense was flat, and they didn’t play well at all and still won by 12.

Secondly the Bills offense moved the ball on the defense – another byproduct of being off the bye week, and yet the defense kept them out of the endzone the entire game and limited them in the redzone. Also they held two very good running backs to less than 100 yards each.

Thirdly, the Buffalo defense played better and yet still gave up 21 points and 374 yards of offense.

Fourth, Foster had the flu, didn’t break a single tackle, and still ran for 111 yards.

As far as the Bills will never be good again, that’s just trolls trying to get a rise out of Bills fans. They’ll be good again.