Percy Harvin calls playing Sunday a “long shot”

Getty Images

After the Vikings’ 30-20 loss to the Seahawks on Sunday, wide receiver Percy Harvin didn’t make much of the ankle injury that briefly forced him out of the game.

Things are different on Monday. Harvin is on crutches and says that it is a “long shot” that he will be able to face the Lions in Week 10. Harvin said that his left ankle is sprained in three places and that he’s in a lot of pain as a result of the injury. With the Vikings having a week off after the Lions game, Harvin was asked if it made sense to rule himself out for this week and focus on returning in two weeks.

“Does it make sense? To me, no. But if that’s what has to happen, then that’s what has to happen,” Harvin said, via Judd Zulgad of 1500ESPN.com. “I’m shooting to try to play and get everything I can. If I can’t, then I’ll have to rest it. But I’m not ruling myself out.”

It would not be good news for a sputtering passing offense if the Vikings do wind up ruling Harvin out. Christian Ponder threw for 63 yards against Seattle and that was only the second-lowest yardage total he’s put up in the last three games.

36 responses to “Percy Harvin calls playing Sunday a “long shot”

1. The players on this team rule themselve in or out of the game? What exactly do the vik coaches do? I think I’m starting to see the problem. Oh, that and they’re terrible and will always be terrible.

2. The vikings offense produces no long shots.

They had two passes beyond 5 yards downfield Sunday.

In the last three weeks they have averaged 124 yards passing a game. Almost all from yards after short or behind the line catch.

3. Vikes are going to have to kill it in the return game and on D to right this ship before the bye. With Stafford hot, the D hot – I don’t see the Vikes getting it done this time. As it should be.

4. I’ve never been more embarassed at the attitude of Viking fans. A few setbacks and they’re acting like the team is going to end up 0-16. Ridiculous, this was a 6-10 or 7-9 team at best and that is where they will probably end up. Ponder’s performance is a little concerning, but I don’t think I’d give up on him just yet.

5. I thought when they brought Jerome Simpson in it was going to open up the deep field plays. Seems like they aren’t doing anything down field. In my opinion one of their best athletic weapons, at least 3rd best after Peterson and Harvin is Joe Webb who I haven’t seen so far this year. They need to incorporate some plays for him because the guy makes Ponder look slow in comparison.

6. So Adrian Peterson will have about fifty carries this week…he’ll be lucky to get to 100 yards when the defense puts ten guys in for him, and maybe one guy to guard whatever joke is outside wide.

7. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:
    Nov 5, 2012 5:01 PM
    I don’t know what we’re going to do without his two catches for 10 yards and one fumble.
    ————————————————————

really?

Even after only 2 receptions yesterday, while playing hurt, he is still the leading receiver in pass receptions this season; he is 10th in receiving yards. He is also one of the top KO returners.

8. You need to give a qb at least 3 years to develop. The problem with ponder in year 1.5 is he hasn’t shown upside yet like luck rg3 or cam. He has had 2 or 3 300 yard passing games in about 20 games (with a couple picks/fumbles) and then way to many Donovan Mcnabb groundball 50-100 yard games. Losing to tampa and washington and this disaster at seattle could be a bad streak but he looks terrible during the games. He is Joe Flacco without the arm. Average at best. And that is not going to cut it in the NFC North with the qbs in that division. He has to show something in the final 8 games or they will be forced to look in another direction this offseason. He was a huge reach anyways at #11 or 12 in the draft.

9. aljack88 says:Nov 5, 2012 5:45 PM

samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:
    Nov 5, 2012 5:01 PM
    ————————————————————

really?

______

I understand, but if he’s going to play like he did yesterday he isn’t going to help us win. Maybe with no semblance of a passing game we’ll give it to Adrian more than 17 times.

10. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:
    Nov 5, 2012 6:05 PM
    aljack88 says:Nov 5, 2012 5:45 PM

samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:
    Nov 5, 2012 5:01 PM
    ————————————————————

really?

______

———————————————

Unless you flew to Seattle yesterday was three hours of free entertainment. Chalk it up to what it is and move on with your life.

11. While there definitely some issues with this vikes team I think there have also been some serious positives that we did not see last year. All three major draft picks have produced more than expected, AP looks as good as ever and the D isn’t nearly as terrible as it was last year. This year was gonna be rough again, it just makes it harder now because they started off so well.

12. Looks like the Vikings will have to pray they get 2 lucky special teams TDs again against the Lions to have a small chance of winning.

13. The D needs to stop running stunts putting them out of position. The O line needs to block the man in front of them instead of the shift blocking Atlanta style. Letroy Guion needs to be able to get off blocks and stop missing tackles. No more offsides by the D line. Have the receivers run proper routes. All things easily fixed by the coaches. Ponder needs to gut check himself and pull out of this rut. Jerome Simpson needs to be less sloppy in his routes. This can all be corrected by beating Detroit and then coming off the bye and running AP right over the Bears.

14. @samanthasteele –

Yeah, Percy is the problem. I swear, I can’t believe the lack of football knowledge displayed by Vike fans on here. Percy and Adrian are the only two bright spots on this offense. Percy is out there busting his hump, clearly too hobbled to even play, and you’re ripping him? Why don’t you go cheer for the bears.

15. Gerbschtik being a Lions fan doesn’t have much room to talk.
    ————————————————————————–
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 5, 2012 4:59 PM

16. Vikes fan, I have a great plan. Call Bret and give him a couple mill, trade for Randy Moss, and then give Cris Carter a call. C’mon man, the Vikings are done. They peaked in early October.

17. Kyle Rudolph hasn’t caught a ball for two weeks. What a waste of talent. Who is in charge of preparing the game plan? Why doesn’t Toby Gerhart ever get to run with the football? Nobody can win with a one man offense. What we have here is a big time coaching failure.

18. Haven’t seen any posts by barroomzero and GTOdriver lately.

Interesting. Perhaps they exist only when their team is performing well against bad teams.

19. New Stadium……the Wilf’s are gonna have to step up and get a legit coaching staff in here. He’s friends with Parcells and he needs to pick his brain. New stadium legit coach and staff hopefully will produce a product that will rise above GB and Chi in the next few yrs and become a force in the NFC with serious title intentions.

20. viking fans are still here I am with my team till the end they are going to win a few more games we can still beat teams its not over yet yes they lost the last 2 games we will beat the lions dont care what people are saying they are playing in our turf so go vikes lets get another w in our column before the bye and come out of the bye with a better team than we have been seeing in the last 2 games I also do miss the team that beat the 49ers what happen to them

21. harvin on resigning with the vikes at the end of next year”long shot”. Ponder is not completely to blame, but his play is unacceptable. There are more problems for them than their qb. However, mark my words.The Minnesota Vikings have a hidden treasure in that Bethal-Thompson kid. Just too bad they have noone to develop him. btw Webb is a wr! period, regardless on what he wants to be. He. is. a. wr. get him out there. IMO

22. I’m a Lions fan, so all this negativity surrounding the Vikings right now is great…..but like I said, I’m a Lions fan, so I know better than to get my hopes up when the Lions are facing a team they should beat. The Lions had better defend the short passing game, or they’ll get beat on blitzes trying to stop Adrian Peterson and the Vikings’ receivers will end up taking short passes for long TDs. If Harvin is out this week, look for a lot of screens and slants from the Vikings’ offense.

23. vikingfan1971 says:

“viking fans are still here I am with my team till the end they are going to win a few more games we can still beat teams its not over yet yes they lost the last 2 games we will beat the lions dont care what people are saying they are playing in our turf so go vikes lets get another w in our column before the bye and come out of the bye with a better team than we have been seeing in the last 2 games I also do miss the team that beat the 49ers what happen to them”

Why don’t people use periods anymore?

24. With the Vikings putting up such prolific passing yards the last two games, I doubt if Ponder will even notice that Harvin is sitting this one out.

Seriously though, the Lion’s secondary is god awful but its not like the Vikings have any way to exploit it so we will be watching the loser of this game to become the basement dweller of 2012 in the NFC North.

25. Long shot? I guess Harvin has no heart. Last place in the NFC North coming on Sunday. What a joke that team & their fanbase are.