Rex Ryan says the Jets are “not even close”

rexryanheadsset AP

Jets coach Rex Ryan usually starts each year bounding with optimism that his team will win the Super Bowl. This year Ryan tempered that optimism before the season, and at the halfway point he’s sounding even less confident that he has his team in the right place.

But Ryan is still saying that he’s enthusiastic about getting the second half of the season underway.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am,” Ryan said on Monday, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I know we’re not where we want to be. We’re not even close. We’re not sniffing the playoffs. We’re not sniffing anything right now. But I want to get there. I’m excited about the prospects in front of us.”

Ryan said changes are coming on the 3-5 Jets over the second half of the season, although he declined to say what those changes will be.

“We will be doing some different things. I don’t want to get into the specifics of it,” Ryan said. “If there’s an advantage to be gained, then I want to gain that advantage without letting our opponent know. I’m excited about trying to implement some of these things.”

Whatever those changes are, they’d have to be significant to make the Jets — who are currently two games behind in both the AFC East and the AFC wild card race — into a place where they can sniff the playoffs.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Rex Ryan says the Jets are “not even close””
  1. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:00 AM

if he mean to the bottom, yes they are!!!

2. niners816 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:02 AM

“We’re not sniffing anything right now.” Stick with sniffing feet, Rex because your team is terrible.

3. h3min1230 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:03 AM

Why does he always give hints on what his gameplan might be? And its not like he’s even doing it to throw his opponents off, he actually does what he talks about during the week lol

4. ballinmore says: Nov 5, 2012 11:03 AM

As a Ravens fan I’ll keep hope alive for the Jets to have a 4-12 season and see Rex back as the Ravens defensive coordinator next year.

5. patsfiend says: Nov 5, 2012 11:07 AM

Is that seat your sitting on is getting a little toasty, there, Rexy?

Perhaps we could get Rex as an understudy to Bill, whipping the Pats defense into shape next year. We could really use him in that capacity. :-)

6. getyourownname says: Nov 5, 2012 11:07 AM

Rex still has yet to master the motivational thing.

Love the sniffing reference, BTW.

7. billhicks666 says: Nov 5, 2012 11:08 AM

Significant changes are coming, huh? Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. In another article at this very website, the Jets say they do not intend to change QBs, so how significant could these forthcoming “changes” be?

8. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Nov 5, 2012 11:08 AM

It was so nice while they were on their bye week.

9. mattsffrd says: Nov 5, 2012 11:08 AM

“We’re not sniffing anything right now.”

10. steviemo says: Nov 5, 2012 11:17 AM

Your GM is atrocious. It’s almost stunning how much this team lacks depth, and how much several units have fallen off year by year.

11. sourdough says: Nov 5, 2012 11:24 AM

Don’t worry Rex, neither are the Raiders!

12. crappygovernment says: Nov 5, 2012 11:26 AM

I hope they quit blacklisting Tebow for being an outspoken Christian one of these weeks.

13. randygnyc says: Nov 5, 2012 11:29 AM

Yawn. It’s been Tebow time for 7 weeks now. I’m impatiently waiting to become a Jets fan.

14. alltee says: Nov 5, 2012 11:41 AM

i love that jets fans love this guy, he is completely dillusional!!

he can change whatever he wants but he cant change the quility of talent he has

15. silverhornet says: Nov 5, 2012 11:51 AM

well… this won’t inspire Lawrence Taylor to come out of retirement.

16. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 5, 2012 12:12 PM

Love him or hate him, Rex Ryan wears his emotions on his sleeve.

His teams have always played my Steelers physical, and some of us find his style charismatic and refreshing in its optimism and candor. Some of us think it’d be fun to play under Rex.

And it’s clear that there’s a growing segment of people who don’t like him or his style.

But whether you dig Rex or can’t stand the guy (and putting the current Jets struggles aside), he does make life more interesting than the coaches ruled by the standard cliches.

One final take: I think Rex may be loyal to a fault with Sanchez. Sanchez seems to be a fine human being, and always kind to everyone – excepting that time he wiped a boogie across Brunell’s jacket on the sideline.

But even though Sanchez seems like a nice guy — you need someone that can rapidly advance up the learning curve. We have a handful of rookies outperforming Sanchez, and Sanchez has been around for years getting max-reps.

If the Jets get someone of quality behind center, they have much to be hopeful about.

17. steviemo says: Nov 5, 2012 12:14 PM

I’d like to see Tebow start so he can get his hat handed to him with the lack of offensive personnel this team has. Would love to see him get slaughtered on the field so he will just go away.

18. rockthered1286 says: Nov 5, 2012 12:26 PM

Said it once and I’ll say it a million times over. Rex got his sense of QB loyalty from Billick when he was with the Ravens. Billick rode out the Kyle Boller storm for years longer than he should have. Boller was terrible, but Billick refused to admit that he drafted a terrible QB in the first round. On the same note, Rex refuses to admit Sanchize is a bust, and continues to ride it out with his poor excuse of a QB at the helm. I think it’s fair to assume Rex will see the same results as Billick.

Welcome back to Baltimore in 2013 Rex.

19. cliverush says: Nov 5, 2012 12:35 PM

“We’ll be doing somethings differently next year.. such as watching every game from a TV studio or the comfort of there living room. He and Tannenbaum have not blended well and Rex will absorb much of the blame for other peoples decisions.

20. flboyindallas says: Nov 5, 2012 12:35 PM

“We’re not sniffing anything right now. But I want to get there.”

I truly wanted to refrain from mentioning anything about wives and videos and SUVs and feet here. I really did.

21. modellforprez says: Nov 5, 2012 12:47 PM

tannenbum change is good. a overly confident gas bag is not. I wonder what fireman ed think’s about all this?

22. RexCanCoach says: Nov 5, 2012 1:13 PM

One game at a time Rex. If the Jets can go into Seattle and get a win, I don’t care if its 12-11 final score and beat a 4-0 home team, then optimism can begin for this season for NY Jets.

Only 2.5 weeks until the Patsies come into Jersey, Rex gets his revenge!!

23. azarkhan says: Nov 5, 2012 1:42 PM

That may be the first accurate statement Ryan has made in the last three years.

24. grogansheroes says: Nov 5, 2012 1:56 PM

When Rex says changes are coming, why do we assume they will be good changes? I mean they can get worse. Oh, and Seattle’s defense is going to eat up that pathetic QB and offense.

25. mungman69 says: Nov 5, 2012 2:51 PM

Jets aren’t going anywhere.

26. davidcl77 says: Nov 6, 2012 10:26 PM