Knox not expected to be activated from PUP today

Johnny Knox AP

This is the last year of Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox’s rookie contract, but it isn’t necessarily the end of his time with the Bears.

Knox hasn’t been activated from the physically unable to perform list, and isn’t expected to be by today’s deadline, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. But a provision in the CBA allows teams to retain the rights to players who spend the entire year on PUP for the following season.

That’s different from players who spend the year on injured reserve, whose contracts can expire and the can go look for work as free agents.

But the Bears have stuck by Knox, a fifth-round pick in 2009 with deep ball ability, through a long rehab from neck surgery. He suffered the initial injury last December against the Seahawks, and needed spinal fusion surgery. He said last month he still hadn’t run full speed.

Bringing him back next year (at his same $1.26 million salary) is a good faith gesture, giving him time to get ready for the offseason program and training camp next year.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Knox not expected to be activated from PUP today”
  1. lrt79 says: Nov 6, 2012 8:44 AM

Good on the Bears. You don’t often see teams showing loyalty to a player (while expecting nothing but loyalty back).

It’s a shame, Knox would have been that missing piece to the Bears passing game this year.

2. bbking0420 says: Nov 6, 2012 8:53 AM

Mark my words when Johnny Knox gets 100% healthy,this kid will be something special!!! He reminds me of Desean Jackson, same size,built,stature.He can definitely catch the deep ball!!!!!! My Chicago Bears will definitely be a force to be wrecking with!!! They are going deep this year in the playoffs!!! Chicago is the best city in the workday ,and the best

3. bbking0420 says: Nov 6, 2012 8:59 AM

Mark my words when Johnny Knox gets 100% healthy,this kid will be something special!!! He reminds me of Desean Jackson, same size,built,stature.He can definitely catch the deep ball !!!!!! My Chicago Bears will definitely be a force to be wrecking with!!! They are going deep this year in the playoffs!!! Chicago is the best city in the world,and the best team one the NFL,offense,defense,and special teams!!! Bow down to greatness people.Chicago Bears 2012-2013 NFC Champions!!!!Cutler,Forte,Marshall,Peppers,Briggs,Urlacher,and the DPOY Charles”peanut”Tillman!!!

4. docsweeney says: Nov 6, 2012 9:19 AM

It’s a nice gesture to be sure but anyone who saw that game and that injury, he’s lucky to be alive much less walking/talking. I think he’ll never be the same and given his best ability was running deep routes, I can’t see him playing another NFL down. Hope I’m wrong but I think he’s done.

5. philtration says: Nov 6, 2012 9:20 AM

That is nice of the team to take care of him but I don’t think he will ever play again.
    That was the worst looking injury I have even seen in an NFL game.
    I am just glade that he can walk after that.

6. kabasaman says: Nov 6, 2012 9:34 AM

Go Johnny Go.. Get healthy and take your time do so. Kudos to the Bears for being classy. Quality stuff.

7. windycitynick says: Nov 6, 2012 9:45 AM

Good news, hope the Bears keep him. He’s a great player & a good dude. Have a full recovery Johnny & can’t wait to hear ”Cutler to Knox” soon

8. tformation says: Nov 6, 2012 10:12 AM

Great to see a team show loyalty to a player. Even better to see my Bears doing it.

Get healthy, Johnny. Even if you never play another down of football again, get healthy.

9. tgriffin2012 says: Nov 6, 2012 1:05 PM

Great move by a class organization!!! Get well Johnny and look forward to you doing great things on the field and in life, God bless you in your journey to recovery!!!

10. larryboodry says: Nov 6, 2012 1:29 PM

Classy move by the Bears, but count me among those who fear he will not play again.

Hope he recovers fully in any case.

11. ronniemexico says: Nov 6, 2012 3:52 PM

That was one of the most horrific injuries I have ever seen. To the Bears, thank you for your loyalty. And to Johnny, thank you for your service. I am grateful things weren’t much worse for you; but after that injury, please retire. It’s not worth it.

12. hansenbrothers says: Nov 6, 2012 9:52 PM

Packers nation wishes you a speedy recovery Johnny!