Danieal Manning unfazed by facing former team, for now

Danieal Manning AP

The NFL’s two one-loss teams have at least one thing in common:  Safety Danieal Manning has played for both of them.

And when the Texans travel to Soldier Field on Sunday night, Manning will face the Chicago Bears for the first time.

Via Tania Ganguli of the Houston Chronicle, Manning views the Bears as any other team.

I’ve never experienced this before,” Manning said.  “Right now, it’s not personal.  I’m treating them like I did the beginning of the season when we opened up with Miami.  This is Miami.”

The Bears made Manning a second-round draft pick in 2006.  He signed with the Texans in 2011.

“They made an offer, they really did, but not a fair value offer in my opinion,” Manning said of the Bears.  “I didn’t think it was fair enough to me and what I’ve done for that team.  But in all honesty, they feel like it was the best deal for them, they’re going to do what’s best for them and I feel like I’m doing what’s best for me.”

Ganguli points out that Manning used the phrase “go back home,” but then stopped himself.  Maybe that has something to do with the fact that he eventually sold his Chicago home at a loss of more than $200,000.

A four-year, $20 million contract goes a long way toward healing that wound.  Beating the Bears on Sunday night would surely help, too.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Danieal Manning unfazed by facing former team, for now”
  1. tundratommy says: Nov 7, 2012 8:10 AM

Another thing that they have in common….. both were defeated by the Packers….. just sayin’

2. duck99 says: Nov 7, 2012 8:21 AM

Manning cost the Bears the Super Bowl when he blew his coverage on Reggie Wayne. That is his legacy in Chicago.

3. texansfan78 says: Nov 7, 2012 8:50 AM

Manning was a great pickup for the Texans. He has done nothing but play great football and make plays.

4. ninjapleazee says: Nov 7, 2012 9:13 AM

Manning was a special teams player in Chicago and was not a great safety so
    Of course Chicago would not give money for a backup safety. Glad he’s doing well in Houston.

5. chi01town says: Nov 7, 2012 10:00 AM

Manning is on the wrong team this time because come sunday night in Chicago the Texans will get smoked.
    Jeffrey will be playing and that will give Cutler his other big target. Chicago will be 8-1

6. lrt79 says: Nov 7, 2012 10:31 AM

ninjapleazee says: Nov 7, 2012 9:13 AM

Manning was a special teams player in Chicago and was not a great safety so
    —————–

7. gmsingh says: Nov 7, 2012 10:21 PM

He also had the best kickoff return yardage in the league if I remember correctly. He’s just a good player.

8. bearsfan4life says: Nov 11, 2012 1:29 AM

“Not quite. He finally started coming on as Safety in his final year and went down as the 3rd best Safety in the league that year.”

Right, right…. When I think good safety I think Reed, Polamalu and Manning.

The Bears haven’t had a good player at safety since Mike Brown. And Manning is included in that “not a good safety” category.