Md. gay marriage vote like “Christmas” for Ayanbadejo

Baltimore Ravens v San Diego Chargers Getty Images

After being an outspoken proponent of gay marriage, and having a Maryland politician try to squelch his opinion, no one was happier to see voters in his state approve a measure that made it legal this week.

“I’m so stoked,” Ayanbadejo said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “It’s like I woke up and it was Christmas.”

“It’s something I’ve been so passionate about for a long time,” Ayanbadejo added. “Even though it doesn’t affect me directly, it affects a lot of my friends. It affects my family. It affects Ravens’ fans. It affects Marylanders. I’ve worked hard on it very diligently.

“I’ve been torn down at times, but lifted up many more than the ones that tore me down. I’m very proud of the Marylanders who went out there and voted and made the difference.”

Ayanbadejo admitted his stance wasn’t necessarily popular in his own locker room (teammate Matt Birk was outspoken for the other side), but hasn’t been swayed by pressure to step aside from a controversial issue.

“For it to be passed in four states, marriage equality, there are some guys that are really upset with marriage equality in the locker room,” Ayanbadejo said. “I think at the end of the day I think the majority of the guys, whether you call it a civil union, or whatever you call it, just to be recognized in the state and have the same rights as heterosexual couples, that’s all you can ask for. I’m happy about it. . . .

“Guys give me flak every day, they make fun of me in meetings, but, at the end of the day, the majority of them know it’s the right thing to treat people equally.”

It’s a novel concept, but whatever your stance, you have to respect Ayanbadejo’s advocacy.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Md. gay marriage vote like “Christmas” for Ayanbadejo”
  1. acoman89 says: Nov 8, 2012 8:58 AM

the world is changing right before your very eyes

2. natedawg76 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:01 AM

Kudos to him for making a stand!!!! The last quote of the piece is all that matters! It is absolutely the right thing for all people to be treated equally.

3. barbasol11111111 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:03 AM

Heard a guy on 105.7 the fan this morning call in and say the ravens struggles with consistency are because they are so distraught over gay marriage

He then proceeded to say interracial couples weren’t “as gross”

Gotta laugh to keep from crying these days

4. valentino8100 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:05 AM

You must forgive me if the political opinions forwarded by multi-million dollar children who have yet to live a day of their lives in any sort of relevancy are not at the top of my list of considerations.

5. conormacleod says: Nov 8, 2012 9:05 AM

And Matt Birk’s stance, and ignorance, is one of many reasons why I dislike organized religion. While not all religious people are so self centered and filled with hate, church organizations as a whole discriminate against more people than any organization. They will tell you they are about love, but it’s only love if you agree with them.

6. geektriumvirate says: Nov 8, 2012 9:09 AM

good on him, sticking by what he believes

7. sudz28 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:11 AM

THIS Steelers fan wants to publicly acknowledge Ayanbadejo for his courage and commitment to this issue. He was out on the sidewalks pounding the pavement along with other proponents, putting his face and name where his beliefs are. Even if you don’t agree with his stance on this issue, I don’t see how you can’t admire his conviction.

Way to go Brendon, you have my sincere respect.

8. mad55555 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:21 AM

looks like all cowboy, steelers, and giants fans can now get married.

9. barbasol11111111 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:23 AM

I don’t know, Valentino. Some of those guys went through a lot in life to get where they are. They aren’t all silver-spoon fed, oversized children.

Besides, saying the person who made the argument isn’t qualified to give it doesn’t actually do anything to disprove what they are arguing. It’s one of the basic logical fallacies and devoid of anything meaningful.

10. sadskinsfan89 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:35 AM

haha just more reason to hate the ravens.

11. dontrunfromme says: Nov 8, 2012 9:47 AM

Feels like Christmas…
    Interesting

12. burnttoast71854 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:48 AM

13. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Nov 8, 2012 9:50 AM

valentino8100 says:Nov 8, 2012 9:05 AM

Sir: I’m sure you will equally forgive the rest of us if your poorly worded version of ‘blame the messenger’ doesn’t impress us.

Dismissal of someone’s opinion because of either age or experience usually indicates the inability to argue the facts.

And the fact is that America was founded and made great by young people who were willing to take unpopular stands, endure the slings and arrows of the supposed intelligence of the defenders of the status quo, and when necessary, take their case to the electorate.

I personally don’t have a side on the debate, but we need more people like this young man. And for Valentino to be so dismissive speaks more about Valentino than Ayanbadejo.

14. ace8842 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:51 AM

America is going down the tubes. The younger generation is completely clueless, no morality, no understanding of the debt and what it can do. If you told some of these younger people Romney pushed 5 kids off a bridge and drowned them, some of them would believe it without even questioning it.

15. Slackmo says: Nov 8, 2012 9:51 AM

We need to hear more coverage of this #1 issue facing the NFL today.

16. patriotenvy says: Nov 8, 2012 9:59 AM

How about eliminate marriage benifits all together. Then everyone will be truely treated equal. Single people unite!

17. cuda1234 says: Nov 8, 2012 10:01 AM

This is like a guy spiking the ball after scoring a meaningless td in the 4th quarter of a blowout. Gay marriage is still wildly unpopular in America and this is the first time in history the voters have approved it. So now the score is about 250-2. Stop celebrating.

Also, please don’t think it is marriage equality as it is just a special right for a small segment of the population. They are not advocating for equal marriage rights for everyone, just for themselves.

18. raleighdevil says: Nov 8, 2012 10:09 AM

Tell you what. You want to talk “equality?” Let’s allow people to marry ANYONE they want! I should be able to marry a man AND a woman. What’s stopping me from marrying my cousin and sister? We can all be in love. When is this guy going to come out for the Mormons and their idea of Big Love? If you don’t want to go “all the way,” you’re not for “marriage equality.”

19. 2difshoe says: Nov 8, 2012 10:42 AM

In favor of gay marriage or not, the Ravens ” end zone ” celebration must be something quite special to Brandon !

20. nupicasso says: Nov 8, 2012 10:44 AM

“burnttoast71854 says:
    Nov 8, 2012 9:48 AM
    The reason I dislike people who dislike organized religion is if you don’t stand for something they approve your filled with hate, but if you agree with them they like you. Matt Birk can have a different stance & he’s intolerant, yet Ayanbadejo has a stance that most people don’t agree with & yet he’s a hero. The intolerance is only one sided. Call people ignorant because he disagrees is proving you are what you called Matt Birk.”

And these type of arguments are what make organized religion look ridiculous. I was brought up in the church and stopped going because of the agenda involved with it. The message of the bible, and Christ, is to love one another as I have loved you. Judge not lest ye be judged. Let he that lives without sin to cast the first stone.

It is not up to us, or our government to, to judge or deny civil liberties to any race, creed or sexual orientation. All were made in Gods image and all deserve their right to happiness and love This is not an issue of murder or deceit or anything else that might harm another human being.

The church needs to get back to basics and start showing the compassion of Christ rather than the fury of their own fears, ignorance and political agenda.

That is all.

21. trollhammer20 says: Nov 8, 2012 10:49 AM

Try to think of any time in human history, outside of extreme circumstances like a political revolution, where people voluntarily moved towards being LESS free. Can you think of any? Prohibition comes to mind, but look at how well that turned out.

I know a straight couple who got married so they could get a better rate on a loan for furniture and were divorced less that 12 months later. I also know of one gay couple (the guys who own the salon/spa my sister works at) who have been together for over 25 years. Which one of these threatens to make the institution of marriage a joke?

Just because someone receives a new freedom doesn’t mean they have to try it, either. In my own case, if my state legalized marijuana, sure, I’d be toking up now and again during my weekend leisure time. If my state legalized gay marriage, on the other hand, I think I’d probably take a pass on that. Just sayin’.

22. rc33 says: Nov 8, 2012 10:55 AM

No one cares.

23. bengalsfan513 says: Nov 8, 2012 11:18 AM

I wouldnt want to be in the lockerroom with him

24. usmutts says: Nov 8, 2012 11:18 AM

It is not a novel concept to treat people equally. The problem is that some people have been more equal than others for far too long. It’s time to level the field. Thanks, Brenden.

25. xaf605 says: Nov 8, 2012 11:26 AM

The way i see two guys humping each other just dont seem right thats all lol!

26. barroomhero80 says: Nov 8, 2012 11:44 AM

And the idiot bigots come out of the woodwork. Get over it chumps

27. valentino8100 says: Nov 8, 2012 12:07 PM

Age and experience are essential, as they were for the founding fathers of this country, as you elude to in error. Taking an unpopular stand may speak to someone’s courage, but it should never be confused with relevancy. It is a huge mistake to place inordinate value on the opinions of such a tiny unrepresentative sample (the professional athlete), simply because they are offered the stage.

28. CKL says: Nov 8, 2012 1:41 PM

What I think is really great is that these two teammates can have passionate and differing opinions on a highly charged topic, yet they are respectful to each other about it. A debate on civil liberties being civil? Imagine that. Name calling and whining make me automatically disrespect the person it comes from even if I agree with them.

29. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:19 PM

I wonder about any man who supports this nonsense.

30. joeychargers says: Nov 8, 2012 5:30 PM

cuda1234 says:
    Nov 8, 2012 10:01 AM

================================================

Marriage is unpopular to the 50-60+ year olds that live in their old traditional ways. Which is how they were raised, so it’s hard to hold it against them from a supporters standpoint. But if you look at the numbers, things are (clearly) changing drastically.

3 States made it possible for millions of PEOPLE to share equal rights, and 1 state made it so wasn’t banned. And to top it off, for the first time in History, a state elected it’s first lesbian Senator.

Tell me how that’s so unpopular? This is absolutely something to celebrate. This is also undoubtedly about Equal Rights, no one is asking for anything special, just the same rights as everyone else. I’m not sure how you believe that that’s not equality.

It’s amazing to have support from public figures like Ayanbadejo, as well as so many others.

Also, Go Chargers.

31. wyobroncoboy says: Nov 8, 2012 6:21 PM

“the world is changing right before your very eyes”

Would that be bloodshot over dilated eyes then??

32. HitsDingers says: Nov 10, 2012 12:30 PM

valentino8100 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:05 AM

———————–
    I feel like thefirstsmilergrogan already smacked you down hard enough, but I should also point out that Ayanbadejo is 36 years old, which hardly makes him a child. He graduated from UCLA, one of the more prestigious schools in the nation. He was a UDFA and makes less than a million a year. Still, he takes time out of his schedule to speak up for something he believes is right. And you think people care about your opinion that his opinion doesn’t count?