Report: Jon Gruden could be headed to Philly

Jon Gruden AP

It’s been rumored for years that, if/when Eagles coach Andy Reid no longer is coaching the Eagles, former Eagles offensive coordinator Jon Gruden could be lured back to town.

Now, Howard Eskin of WIP and FOX 29 reports that Gruden could be the next coach of the Eagles.

The move, obviously, hinges on the Eagles firing Reid.  And on Gruden being interested.

Gruden has made it clear from time to time that he’ll coach again, even as ESPN has tried to make staying in the broadcast booth more and more attractive to the man who led the Bucs to a Super Bowl win a decade ago.

Some of you will scoff at Eskin’s report, given that he said last week that a quarterback change with the Eagles was “likely.”  Keep in mind, however, that the Browns scoffed in June when Eskin reported that former Eagles president Joe Banner could resurface in Cleveland.

Eskin serves as the radio sideline reporter for Eagles games, so he’s plugged in.  And while it doesn’t take a genius to plug Gruden’s name in to a potential vacancy in Philadelphia, Eskin’s report makes sense.

If, of course, owner Jeffrey Lurie and agent Bob LaMonte will be able to transact business after Lurie has fired Reid, a LaMonte client.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
88 Responses to “Report: Jon Gruden could be headed to Philly”
  1. schmitty2 says: Nov 8, 2012 2:32 PM

This might have some credibility but we are talking about Howard Eskin

2. blacknole08 says: Nov 8, 2012 2:32 PM

Gruden to Philly would be a good fit. He’s better on the sidelines than he is in the booth that’s for sure!

3. NoobTubeTV says: Nov 8, 2012 2:34 PM

Eagles fans already want Jon Gruden fired.

4. fwippel says: Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM

I would hate this for Reid, but if this gets Gruden out of the broadcast booth, I’d actually start watching MNF again.

5. blowpackblow says: Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM

Good. He annoys me on MNF. Every week he says “I’ve never seen….”

6. getatmeplease says: Nov 8, 2012 2:36 PM

Let me tell you something about this guy Jon Gruden. This guy gives his all every day of the week. He’s one of the best in the business and he comes to work every day ready to get things done. Let me tell you something, if I had this guy Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay, I’d have a few more Super Bowl rings on my fingers.

7. bigjdve says: Nov 8, 2012 2:37 PM

Sure the report makes sense. However the timing of Eskin’s report is really bad for that especially if it was true.

If it is, that means that we are going to have another huge stink about the Rooney rule being violated, especially when minority candidates refuse to interview based on the belief that the position has already been filled.

8. ibreathefootball says: Nov 8, 2012 2:39 PM

We welcome your return to coaching, Chucky!

9. shaggytoodle says: Nov 8, 2012 2:39 PM

Don’t do it Chucky.

Remember the Packers @ Seahawks ending.

How furious you were, I could see your face changing colors during the post game wrap up and thats while you were commentating.

10. illcomm says: Nov 8, 2012 2:39 PM

maybe now we will run the ball 50% of the time and take the pressure of the QB.

11. jbaxt says: Nov 8, 2012 2:43 PM

Andy Reid is to the 2,000′s as Marty Schottenhiemer was to the 90′s. Really a great coach but could never get to the top. That said, I’d take either in a heartbeat.

Sincerely every team with records below 500 for the last 20 years. Q

12. sbdt says: Nov 8, 2012 2:43 PM

I’m interested to see who ESPN could possibly dig up that will be more obnoxious than Theisman and Gruden.

13. broncobeta says: Nov 8, 2012 2:49 PM

I could see it.

On paper that team should succeed. A coach would be thrilled to take over this situation. Let them tank and get a high pick to start out with.

14. NakedCowboy! says: Nov 8, 2012 2:49 PM

I will take Andy Ried or Jon Gruden as cowboys coach…

15. illadelphiasphinest says: Nov 8, 2012 2:49 PM

As long as Andy Reid isn’t the coach next year I’m all for it. Andy has had 14yrs here, and has only made 1 SB. It’s time to move on.

16. elmaxoh says: Nov 8, 2012 2:51 PM

Gus Johnson should be on MNF

17. trbowman says: Nov 8, 2012 2:54 PM

Yawn. The first of many times Gruden and Cowher will be connected to HC gigs.

They’ll both be back to ESPN and CBS, respectively.

18. turtlehut says: Nov 8, 2012 2:55 PM

Chucky will find it is much tougher following Andy Reid than it was taking over a Tony Dungy prepared team

19. contrarianjon says: Nov 8, 2012 2:57 PM

No more cheesesteaks Jon!!!! Time is getting smaller and Gruden is getting largerrrrr

20. urfinished says: Nov 8, 2012 2:58 PM

Jon Gruden is very close with Andy Reid. I would bet his loyalty keeps this from happening.

21. hor2012 says: Nov 8, 2012 2:58 PM

I’m sorry but if I’m not mistaken Jon Gruden is a west coast offense guy to. And, he his a member of the Andy Reed coaching tree. If this is even true, how does this make the Eagles better

22. roadbiscuit says: Nov 8, 2012 2:58 PM

There is no report. It’s Eskin speculating.

23. philswfc08 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:01 PM

i’ll take anyone other than Big Red at this point. the most important thing is getting someone competent to make draft choices. 1 home run every few years coupled with a handful of busts EVERY year isn’t cutting it.

24. hans2410 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:04 PM

sbdt says:
    Nov 8, 2012 2:43 PM

—————-

Donovan McNabb

25. kgraw21 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:08 PM

Gruden to Oakland – You heard it here 1st!!!!

26. archetypeobscure says: Nov 8, 2012 3:09 PM

There’s also reports that Chucky is building a coaching staff that includes Juan Castillo. A bit of a monkey wrench considering the Eagles just fired him. I really wouldn’t think that Gruden would take a job that his buddy Reid would have to be fired from in order for him to be hired.

27. ncs115 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:11 PM

Well this is disheartening for us Eagles fans. Now there is no chance of this happening since the Burger King is reporting it. I thought this guy was forced to retire to Saturday mornings once everyone stopped listening years ago. I guess we can put this stone cold mortal lock alongside of the previous reports that T.O. will never come here, Michael Vick will be replaced by Nick Foles a week ago and the always classic line that Phil Simms was a better QB then Dan Marino since he won a Super Bowl. Yo King, thanks for the info. By the way, what are you making for dinner?

28. mikebrownfeedsondreams says: Nov 8, 2012 3:12 PM

C’mon, Jon, wouldn’t you rather coach with your bro in Cincy and help us by getting rid of Marvin?

29. daddyb1gdrawz says: Nov 8, 2012 3:12 PM

I do not see this happening. First of all Gruden is going to want a QB. When Philly lets Vick go, they will not have a QB. Second, Gruden and Reid are friends having coached on the same staff under Bill Walsh. While the offensive system makes sense, there is a degree of loyalty that goes with Reid and Gruden.

30. ambitoos says: Nov 8, 2012 3:12 PM

This report is bogus. Gruden loves San Diego.

31. attyken says: Nov 8, 2012 3:14 PM

I can just picture the Link full of Chucky Dolls…love it!

32. paythevig says: Nov 8, 2012 3:15 PM

I like Gruden as the co-host of MNF – sure he has his moments but he brings a lot of value to the booth.

Who doesn’t want a Gruden’s Grinder t-shirt?!

33. illinininer says: Nov 8, 2012 3:18 PM

The only way this happens is if Foles gets some playing time and shows he’s got what it takes. No way Gruden takes a job without a solid option at QB. That being said, it seems the Eagles have picked enough coaches from the Holmgren coaching tree. Would be a very stale move.

34. bigzant82 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:21 PM

the eagles dont deserve any good coach or qb they waste there careers and youth
    Cleveland Browns Better Snatch up Gruden When Shurmur Is Fired!!!

35. santolonius says: Nov 8, 2012 3:21 PM

i sure hope gruden goes to the eagles. he is by far my very least favorite announcer, but of course i gotta hear him every week. why does the dude have to oversell everything he says before and during a game in that tiresome lather of bravado and cornball?

36. melikefootball says: Nov 8, 2012 3:26 PM

Good maybe he will hire Simms and Nance as coaches. They know it all as well.

37. smokinjoes91 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:29 PM

Gruden is going to the Titans. He is a self-proclaimed “Locker Stalker” just watch his reaction after Locker was drafted.

The Titans have a decent young core and with real leadership on the sidelines could be a legit contender (as long as they draft well).

Also his wife is from Tennessee.

38. mannyfresh209 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:32 PM

fwippel says:
    Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And who would you prefer to replace him with?

39. jimw81 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:36 PM

i don’t understand why Gruden wants to come out of tv booth. it seems that he likes doing that job. but i did notice him talking alot of eagles players during MNF.

40. knucklebucket says: Nov 8, 2012 3:37 PM

urfinished says:
    Nov 8, 2012 2:58 PM

____________________________________

I highly doubt Reid would stand in Gruden’s way if this were to happen. Coaches know as well as the players that this is a business first and that you don’t stand in anyone’s way of landing a coaching gig.

41. upperdecker19 says: Nov 8, 2012 3:46 PM

Gruden will do a better job there. Gruden will take responsibility for the team. Time’s yours.

Regards,
    Andy Reid

42. phillyrox says: Nov 8, 2012 3:53 PM

I was so happy when I read this headline and so upset when I read this article

43. seabreezes51 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:01 PM

I want a complete redo. Perry Fewell.

44. seabreezes51 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:02 PM

But with a solid GM

45. oldcracker says: Nov 8, 2012 4:05 PM

No way, Gruden’s been house shopping in NE Ohio (Pepper Pike & Perry).

Gruden is definitely coming to Cleveland in some capacity.

46. baloneyjohn says: Nov 8, 2012 4:05 PM

Gruden is a bad choice. His booth talents belie a clueless result in talent judging. Look at the first round busts during his reign.
    He took a team, that Tony Dungy assembled and went to the Super Bowl. Only had 1-2 decent seasons after the super bowl. He belongs in the TV booth with the mute button ON.

47. kvanhorn87 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:12 PM

No thank you.

48. drshakedown74 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:12 PM

Holmgren to Philly……..Gruden to Cleveland…..mark it down.

49. zfunk24 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:13 PM

His kid is a freshman RB at relatively near-by Lafayette in Easton. Makes alot of sense for both.

50. plumbstupid says: Nov 8, 2012 4:16 PM

I love the talk of loyalty between Gruden and Reid. Is that the same loyalty that Reid had with Castillo. It’s business folks.

51. jgedgar70 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:31 PM

As a Panther fan, I despised Chucky when he was in Tampa. Which means I would love him if he were here. We have a young QB, a slew of RBs and a DC that is making a beautiful plate of barbeque out of a pile of pigs’ ears. C’mon down, Chucky, we’ll offer free tutoring so you don’t embarass yourself in your pressers by refering to your new team as the “North Carolina Panthers” like you did when you were in Tampa and will feed you well.

52. hooterdawg says: Nov 8, 2012 4:38 PM

Is this article about Gruden, or the author’s pal Eskin? There are a lot of NFL rumors that make sense but are inaccurate.

53. cereal blogger says: Nov 8, 2012 4:48 PM

Gruden is overrated

54. billymc75 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:50 PM

So a guy that learned with Andy Reid and basically tutored with him is gonna get hired? Makes about as much since as signing Vick to a big long contract

55. flyeredup says: Nov 8, 2012 4:54 PM

Eskin can’t even get a job at Philly’s #1 sport station,97.5. He has no connections and no clue about the Eagles. Remember, he said Foles would start at N Orleans.

56. pflynn20 says: Nov 8, 2012 4:57 PM

Ive never understood why Philly fans love Gruden so much. Ok, he won a SB with a Bucs team built by Tony Dungy and then he went 45-51 since. No thanks. I don’t want a retread coach.

57. eagleswin says: Nov 8, 2012 5:11 PM

God no. Please not Chucky. He’s the phoniest person in broadcasting, and that’s saying something. He also is not a very good coach. I’d rather keep Andy than hire Chucky and I think Reid should go.

58. briang123 says: Nov 8, 2012 5:25 PM

I am sure MNF would do just fine if Gruden left. I think we can live without the “you know Mike, this quarterback might be the best “running to the left and throwing the ball of the back foot while under pressure” quarterback in the National Football League. I haven’t seen anyone better at doing that. Or, “you know Mike, this Ravens defense doesn’t have enough penetration and get off” to whIch Tirico should have replied, “sounds like most marriages.”

59. igotsanduskied says: Nov 8, 2012 5:36 PM

Do you people commenting know your facts? Jon and Andy did not coach under Bill Walsh, they were under Holmgren, who coached under Walsh. Also, check the overall ratings, 97.5 the Fanatic is not Philly’s #1 sports station, they just say that. 94.1 WIP has way more total listeners. Also, as far as Gruden collecting talent, just because he is coach doesn’t mean you have to give him control of personnel. Jeff Lurie has already made that mistake once and it will now cost Andy his job.

60. bigbeefyd says: Nov 8, 2012 5:42 PM

At least that would spare us the sound of Gruden gargling the man-parts of whichever QB he favors in every game that he calls…

61. eaglelover1 says: Nov 8, 2012 5:43 PM

Gruden would be the worst choice of a HC EVER! That Raiders Team was not built y him and neither was that Buccs team…..He is a O-Coordinator and nothing else…the Eagles need stability at all 5 O-line positions something Gruden knows NOTHING about…..Besides Gruden is a Veterans coach and the last thing this extremely young team needs is a Gruden….Once Vick is gone (makes me sad even ssying it) This team will need a coach that can lead…….

62. bobbyhoying says: Nov 8, 2012 5:47 PM

Wasn’t Eskin the guy who had Foles starting last week?

63. gosuhgo says: Nov 8, 2012 5:47 PM

blowpackblow says:
    Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM
    Good. He annoys me on MNF. Every week he says “I’ve never seen….”
    ______________________________
    Last years Bears v Lions game was the best. I can’t tell you how many times Gruden said Jay Cutler was the best mobile QB in the game as he was demolished by the Lions.

64. artiesliver says: Nov 8, 2012 5:57 PM

Drew Brees demands an explaination.

65. fmwarner says: Nov 8, 2012 6:15 PM

eagleswin says: Nov 8, 2012 5:11 PM

——————————————————-

My thoughts exactly.

66. attyken says: Nov 8, 2012 6:59 PM

Gruden would not waste Shady…he loves to pound the rock!!!

67. gadgetdawg says: Nov 8, 2012 7:11 PM

I hope the Eagles do it. It would make the game far more enjoyable for the rest of us if Gruden left the booth.

68. blutbaddenbill says: Nov 8, 2012 7:14 PM

I Feel sorry for anybody who has to go to philly and put his team in front of the 90,000 convicts that call themselves football fans 8 times a year! They’ll never win with such an awful group of fans there!

69. 1standinches says: Nov 8, 2012 7:16 PM

—————-

O.J Simpson

70. catquick says: Nov 8, 2012 7:58 PM

If O.J. We’re on MNF, they would get 1 billion viewers worldwide, at least. Who wouldn’t want to see that?

71. fdugrad says: Nov 8, 2012 8:44 PM

catquick: OJ Simpson WAS on MNF years ago, when ABC was running it. It wasn’t pretty, to say the least.

72. raiderapologist says: Nov 8, 2012 9:06 PM

Anything that gives us less Gruden is a good thing, even if Philly fan suffers. OK, especially if Philly fan suffers.

73. philliephaninva says: Nov 8, 2012 10:16 PM

I love Andy but would love to see Jon back on the sidelines for the Eagles.

74. derekjetersmansion says: Nov 8, 2012 10:23 PM

I’d rather have Mike McCoy than this retread.

75. 1509lucky says: Nov 9, 2012 12:06 AM

Don’t give me Gruden. verrated H.C and annoying commentator. don’t give me Cowher either,his record,with the exception of the one S.B win is actually similar to Reid’s. I would actually rather take a chance on a College Guy.

76. lanjoith says: Nov 9, 2012 1:03 AM

Gruden wants to work with Phillip Rivers and don’t you think he wants to play the Raiders 2x a year? SD is a much more laid back/forgiving town than Philly and when it comes to weather there is no comparison.

77. raidernation210 says: Nov 9, 2012 7:36 AM

eaglelover1 says:
    Nov 8, 2012 5:43 PM

————————————————-

another moron, go figure with this being an eagles thread there are so many. Gruden made a career back up Rich Gannon a league MVP. Look who he had in Tampa, Brad Johnson, Shawn King, please get a clue. Your team sucks, your organization sucks and your fans suck. bunch of losers. 52 years without a championship and counting……….

78. mackie66 says: Nov 9, 2012 8:57 AM

I scoff at the idea that lurie would just plug in a has been into the head coach position. Go get a good young, hungry OC or DC for the head coach job. Look at Miami, got a good, not so young HC and they’re looking good despite a rookie QB. Being hungry is a must.

79. mackie66 says: Nov 9, 2012 9:00 AM

Chucklie is why I never watch Monday night FB, not worth the effort.

80. bleed4philly says: Nov 9, 2012 1:06 PM

We’ll take him!

81. bigdawgy54 says: Nov 10, 2012 5:04 PM

No! I want him in Cleveland!
    Gruden was born in Sabdusky, Ohio and grew up a Browns fan. He played college quarterback at Dayton.
    He needs to come home to Ohio like Urban Meyer did!
    The Browns are in transition complete with a new owner and emerging front office. The tools are in place for Gruden to come to the Browns!

82. bigdawgy54 says: Nov 10, 2012 5:19 PM

I’m amazed at how many out their throw opinions around without knowledge.
    Gruden is one heck of a coach! Let me set you straight. I live in Tampa. I saw the owners screw him and the team.
    First off, Gruden did not win the Super Bowl with Dungy’s team. Defense, yes. Offense, no. He made Brad Johnson quarterback the QB that could win a big game. He changed the whole left side of the offensive line. He brought in a new running back and two receivers. And, he brought his own play calling. The Buccaneers won the Super Bowl “BECAUSE” of Gruden! Not with Dungy’s team.
    After the Super Bowl, the owners of the Bucs made a hostile takeover of the Manchester United. To fund it, they “immediately” became the cheapest spending team in the “league!” Gruden was forced to look for old guys with something left in the tank. He got a “false” reputation for not liking young guys. That’s because the owners wouldn’t pay for any. And, Gruden basically had a gag order on him because of his contract. He couldn’t explain himself.
    The NFL even investigated the fact that the Glazers were accused by fans of diverting money from the Bucs to the Manchester United.
    That’s the story on Gruden.
    I’d take Gruden as my team’s coach any day!!!

83. radrntn says: Nov 11, 2012 10:37 AM

love him as a coach, just don’t let him have anything to do with the draft.

84. blughst20 says: Nov 12, 2012 1:21 AM

I’ve been begging someone to hire him ever since he started on MNF. Anything to get him off the air. I no longer watch MNF unless its a VERY important game because both my wife and I just sit for 3 hours and bitch about his arrogance and idiocy of predicting plays. His use of the magic scratch pad he uses are almost always just the reverse of what we just witnessed on the screen. AND his constant going back to replays and still getting it wrong drive me crazy.

85. chadobunga says: Nov 12, 2012 10:57 AM

Whatever team Gruden goes to you can guarantee they will be running a lot of Y banana. I swear every MNF game I hear about it. I’ve learned more about Y banana than I ever thought possible.

86. cow395 says: Nov 13, 2012 2:13 PM

No thanks, ill pass

87. gisellichek says: Nov 13, 2012 4:35 PM

Perfect… his schtick on MNF is getting old…

I did enjoy him last year with Jaws… but like everything else ESPN does, they beat it to death and drag out the dead carcass before doing something new.

humm… who’s next in MNF booth I wonder????

88. uncletuna says: Nov 14, 2012 5:07 AM

Eskin spouts out so much BS that something would eventually stick…

If Gruden takes that job, half America would lose respect for him…