Report: Three teams showing interest in Stanford Routt

Stanford Routt Pic Getty Images

Florio reported Wednesday that former Chiefs cornerback Stanford Routt has cleared waivers, thus making him an unrestricted free agent available to the highest bidder. Routt shouldn’t be counting on many high-dollar bids, but he is generating some interest on the open market already.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports Routt has received feelers from the Dolphins, Cardinals, and Lions. Miami, Arizona, and Detroit are cornerback-needy teams. The Fins just lost starter Richard Marshall to injured reserve. The Cards have struggled at the corner spot opposite Patrick Peterson. Detroit has been perhaps the league’s most injury-ravaged team in the secondary.

Routt’s recent game film isn’t impressive, but he’s only 29 years old and possesses an impressive size-speed package. He’s likely to find a new team soon.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Report: Three teams showing interest in Stanford Routt”
  1. S.Nevada says: Nov 8, 2012 8:08 AM

I’d love to see the Redskins give this guy a shot. Heck, I’d be fine if they gave Florio a shot in Halls place.

2. applejuiced84 says: Nov 8, 2012 8:12 AM

Redskins I will help you pay his salary … Anything is better than what we currently have ….

3. pewterpiratetampabayray says: Nov 8, 2012 8:13 AM

Detroit may have the most injury ravaved secondary, but Tampa’s is just a mess(not injury related). We may have EJ Biggers and Leonard Johnson starting soon. These guys may not even be good enough make another NFL roster.

4. skins716 says: Nov 8, 2012 8:16 AM

uh, Redskins aren’t interested? last time I checked, their secondary stinks!

5. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Nov 8, 2012 8:21 AM

He should go quickly. You can’t judge a player by his performance on such a badly coached team as KC. Someone is going to get a very good DB.

6. whysomanylosers says: Nov 8, 2012 8:21 AM

Don’t care if he can play, can he pass a drug test?
    Bucs need DBs bad!

7. rockthered1286 says: Nov 8, 2012 8:21 AM

I still don’t get why the Ravens aren’t looking at him. Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams combine to make one good CB. Both have flaws, Cary has the bigger issues though. Even if Routt ended up being a small step up, and move Williams to the nickle, it would make a huge difference. As long as he can stay within a few yards of the receiver and not have his back to every play? Automatic starter.

8. mrtrappedinmymindsr says: Nov 8, 2012 8:40 AM

Were going into a bye week. It would make sense for the Skins to sign him.

9. raiders1995 says: Nov 8, 2012 8:57 AM

honestly, hope your team doesn’t get thid guy..he’s terrible. All raider fans were saying this when he signed with the chiefs..He’s terrible. Routt is ALWAYS getting penalties to give up the first down. And everytime the raiders scored Routt was always the one that’s in the area or just straight up doesn’t cover…he’s terrible

10. commonsenseisnotcmonman says: Nov 8, 2012 8:57 AM

Im surprised he is garnering as much interest as 3 teams. Even though KC is terribad, this guy improved the defense by not being on it.

For video evidence watch Mike Williams TD @ TB

11. kenstabler says: Nov 8, 2012 9:03 AM

Routt proved that he is strictly a man cover guy. He looks lost playing zone, but even in man coverage he is a liability because he holds so damn much. You have a 50% chance of getting a penalty every time you throw his way. Not sure what Al Davis was thinking when he gave away the farm to keep him. Glad to see we could dump some of our scholarship baggage on KC. I think he should go to the Redskins and team up with MeAngelo Hall, maybe do a vulcan mind melt between the two so at least you can get an average CB that can play zone and man coverage.

12. edreedisgod says: Nov 8, 2012 9:04 AM

@rockthered1286……
    Why do ppl have to bash Cary Williams? If you actually watch the games and stop listening to Baltimore Radio you would know that he is not as bad as you fake Ravens fans complain about. He leads the AFC in INTs and every single pick he has came because of a play that he made on the ball with his talent. I’m not saying he is a shut down corner but this belief by “fake Football fans” that a corner cant give up any catches is beyond my understanding. It is boarder line impossible to not give up a catch as a corner in the Pass happy NFL.

13. Patriot42 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:11 AM

He can’t defend the pass.

14. steelerdynasty2010 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:20 AM

we need one too…we’re just in perpetual denial about it….smh

15. kayakattack says: Nov 8, 2012 9:47 AM

I’m sure everyone is dying to get their hands on any player that was rejected from the worst team in the league…

16. metzgerf says: Nov 8, 2012 9:50 AM

What’s with all the Redskins fans commenting on this article? I didn’t know there were more than two of you!

17. rexryanseacrest says: Nov 8, 2012 9:50 AM

The people who blame Cary Williams for the Ravens problems seem to miss the bigger issue. The Ravens have a total of 13 sacks AS A TEAM so far this year. JJ Watt has 10.5 by himself. Remember how Cary Williams was the surprise of the team last year? That’s because he wasn’t being asked to cover receivers for a full minute while the QB had time to make and then eat a sandwich before throwing. The Ravens need someone besides Suggs who has can get to the QB before they need a corner.

18. metzgerf says: Nov 8, 2012 9:51 AM

Personally, I’m not surprised the Lions have shown interest in Routt….but, being a Lions fan, I don’t want him anywhere near that team. He’s consistently flagged for pass interference and gives up a lot of big plays. He should try his hand at WR (no pun intended).

19. jeg07 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:56 AM

Can he play OL and or QB? If not, the Cards don’t need him.

20. steviemo says: Nov 8, 2012 9:57 AM

Just like in the real estate business, when they tell you, “We’re expecting three offers.” Maybe they are; maybe they’re not.

Taking a look at a house doesn’t mean you’re gonna make an offer for it.

21. joetoronto says: Nov 8, 2012 9:57 AM

Only teams that play all man all the time should be interested.

And I can’t think of any.

22. lionsmark09 says: Nov 8, 2012 9:58 AM

Lions: Pick him up….cut Jacob Lacey. Instant upgrade.

23. blackqbwhiterb says: Nov 8, 2012 10:04 AM

Well, Mr. Snyder, your secondary sucks anyway, why not!??

24. baddegg says: Nov 8, 2012 10:10 AM

Why not the Redskins. Seriously, their secondary sucks…what do they have to loose. Even if they like Hall and Wilson, move Hall to Safety where he won’t whiff as much…

25. crystalcoastraider says: Nov 8, 2012 10:13 AM

I want the Ravens to sign him NOW! and then next week he should play for the Saints, then the Bengals, and then the Browns….see what I’m getting at here?…smh..he’s worse than whatever you already have. Trust me…

26. rayguyreturns says: Nov 8, 2012 10:16 AM

“…he’s only 29 years old and possesses an impressive size-speed package….”

It’s the package between his ears that are the problem.

I hope he goes to a team we have to play. At least we can count on a few penalties from him and some long TD passes against him.

27. reddog1955 says: Nov 8, 2012 10:26 AM

Lions pass defense is ranked #8…we don’t need this guy.

28. geniusfan says: Nov 8, 2012 10:34 AM

This guy is a bad football player. I still don’t get why so many people want him for their team.

He couldn’t make it on the Chiefs one of the worst teams ever conceived and he had the benefit of Brandon Flowers’ coverage opposite of him, what makes you think he’ll improve any other secondary?

29. izlez says: Nov 8, 2012 11:19 AM

I think a big part of the Lions defense being ranked high is because the special teams has been so bad at the beginning of the season. The Defense isn’t giving up yards/points because the special teams is giving up tds and not letting the defense on the field.
    That being said, from what I’ve seen and heard, I’m not sure I want to take a shot on this guy. We have CBs on the roster who can stay tight in coverage but not turn their head to locate the football…and there is zero value in a guy like that. It doesn’t matter if your close to the WR if you have no idea where the football is and get a pass interference call

30. rockthered1286 says: Nov 8, 2012 11:31 AM

edreedisgod says:
    Nov 8, 2012 9:04 AM
    @rockthered1286……
    ___________________________
    Dude, don’t go into the “fake fan” rant. I’ve been to every home game for the past 3 years. I don’t listen to garbage like Nestor on the radio. I know my stuff. I know my team. And I’ll damned if you tell me Cary is not that bad. His INT lead is a DIRECT result of QB’s constantly throwing his way because of how bad he plays. He cannot cover a double move, he constantly has his back to the play and he’s not the type of player to jam at the line. He plays 5-7 yards off the receiver at all times and looks for the big play instead of solid coverage. I’m not saying he’s the reason we suck on D, I’m simply saying he’s not worth the contract he turned down this offseason. I don’t expect a shut down, but when I see a 10-20 yard pass completion on his man and he’s 3 steps away or has his back to the ball? And it happens in nearly every 3rd and long situation? That’s unacceptable.

31. gsb333 says: Nov 8, 2012 11:33 AM

After giving up 433 to a rookie and now finding out R. Marshall is out for the year… the FINS should entertain the idea.

32. captainronmexico says: Nov 8, 2012 11:51 AM

As a Raider fan responding to the Raven fan above: PLEASE bring him in this week. Give him the jersey with the target on it. Then cut him so the Saints can sign him the week after that.

We were teased with his “size/speed” package for years. He sucks in “coverage.”

33. steveb9995 says: Nov 8, 2012 6:54 PM

This guy got cut by a team that is 1-7. How good can he be?