Will Hill thinks NFL needs to re-think Adderall policy

Will Hill,  Mason Foster AP

Having served his four-game suspension for failing a drug test for Adderall, Giants safety Will Hill thinks the league needs to re-examine its policies on the drug, which falls under the performance-enhancing drug policy.

Hill, who was prescribed Adderall before he signed with the Giants this spring for ADHD, said denying the drug from players who need it could have unintended consequences.

“It is a medical condition and people do take it for medical (purposes),” Hill said, via Newsday’s Tom Rock. “I know there are other people who do take it for like, to be up, to have fun, things like that, but some people really need to take it because if they don’t take it, then what?

There’s going to be problems. People are going to be agitated and things are going to go on. There’ll be people like me, I can’t take it no more.”

Hill’s been looking for ways to treat his ADHD as long as he can remember.

“As a kid, my grandmother tried to give me Ritalin to slow me down because I was all over the place,” he said. “When I was in college they had different things. I had multiple tutors. I had like three tutors in one class with me so I could get things down. There was always a different way to go around my disability.”

Until he can, Hill said he’s going to have to manage without the medication.

“I have to find a different solution,” Hill said.

While players can claim the “Adderall defense,” and not be called on it (since the league maintains confidentiality of failed drug tests), there are doubtless plenty of players who legitimately need it.

For those who do, there needs to be a streamlined process for approval, so a legitimate medical condition doesn’t go untreated.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Will Hill thinks NFL needs to re-think Adderall policy”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 8, 2012 11:17 AM

“I know there are other people who do take it for like, to be up, to have fun, things like that, but some people really need to take it because if they don’t take it, then what?”

Then it’s time to grow a set, Will.

2. picksix401 says: Nov 8, 2012 11:30 AM

i rethought my adderall policy about halfway through college and never failed another test from there on out

3. bigjdve says: Nov 8, 2012 11:49 AM

I honestly think that he is full of it.

There is a way to get the exemption. He chooses not to, that is on him.

If the Adderall is that important to him, and there are people that need it that bad, he will fill out the paperwork and get the exemption.

He chooses to play football, I definitely would in his shoes, he then also chooses to play by their rules.

They aren’t saying that he can’t have a drug he needs, they are saying that he needs to do certain things to document it, so that he can use it.

There are plenty of jobs out there, that do the same thing.

4. zaggs says: Nov 8, 2012 12:14 PM

“The league allows a medical exemption for the drug, provided a player files the proper paperwork and goes through the proper channels. Giants teammate Andre Brown is among those who did.
    Until he can, Hill said he’s going to have to manage without the medication.”

I think what most miss is that there appears to be a lag in getting approval for it. I don’t see why though. I mean the NFL only has 2000+ employees it needs to worry about such exemptions. A check of the players medical records shouldn’t take 4 weeks.

5. lovinthatsomanyhateonnd says: Nov 8, 2012 12:21 PM

Pamelor works pretty well for ADHD..but the first month or so you will feel pretty lethargic…so im not sure it would work for a NFL athlete

6. blacknole08 says: Nov 8, 2012 12:47 PM

I really feel bad for Hill because I’ve been in the same boat. I take something different from adderall but it took me the longest to find the right meds to be on.

But at the same time he plays in the NFL, so he has to clear it with them before he can use it.

7. retaeyssup says: Nov 8, 2012 1:00 PM

I am an air traffic controller and very limited with any drug, over the counter or not. If I can survive it in a 30 year career then a football player can for maybe 5-10. And decisions effect 200 lives at a time.

8. jgrange says: Nov 8, 2012 1:33 PM

The more athletes on adderall the better. Maybe some of these guys will learn their playbooks and stay in the league a little longer.

9. w1thinreason says: Nov 8, 2012 2:29 PM

Whether this is a “legitimate medical condition” is debatable. Back before pharmacologic cures for everything outside of the box of what society now calls “normal”, these people were the artists, musicians, etc. I think it is a tragedy when any child is drugged up to dumb down their energy and make them a studious zombie. Of course there are always extreme examples where a drug may be warranted, but in general I would like it if people accepted who they are and then held themselves to a higher standard of discipline and accountability.

10. joetoronto says: Nov 8, 2012 5:16 PM

Right on, w1thinreason!

It’s a cop out, a crutch so many people are leaning on. These drug companies are out of control, putting a label on everybody.

SMH.